PDA

View Full Version : Disliking one album, liking another...

Vera
10-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Inspired by a convo with a friend that went something like this;

Her: I love this song.. [youtube link]
Me: Great. My friend digs that band.
Her: I'm downloading 10 of their albums.
Me: TEN?!! I usuallly dl one album and then decide whether I like the band.
Her: What happens to me is sometimes I don't like an album at all but will love another... So I wanna listen to their discography and see how I like it all.

I've never had the bolded part happen to me. I've gotten into bands through what has been their weakest record (Green Wing: Warning) and only realized in retrospect that all their other albums are vastly superior to the one I heard first. So what will happen is that I like the worst album but prefer the better ones.

With most bands I know, if I like the band, I will like something about even their worst pieces of works. I dislike the overall sound of CO1 but I'm into certain songs on it a lot.

I've yet to come across some album I want to denounce like, "Their 2nd album doesn't exist to me." I've also yet to come across a band whose records are SO vastly different that one will be in style I love and another will be something I'd never listen to in a million years.

Do you feel like my friend or are your experiences closer to my own? Examples of either case? (Please elaborate instead of just listing crappy albums of favourites.)

Bazza
10-19-2007, 04:17 AM
A good example for me would be a band that has vastly changed their artistic style, for example Radiohead. The Bends was an amazing album, yet the later stuff (especially Hail To The Thief) just went plane weird for my liking. That's probably the best example I could think of.

Vera
10-19-2007, 05:04 AM
Yeah but do you like one Radiohead album and enormously dislike another? That's my point..

mrconeman
10-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Pink Floyd came to mind for me. Although not quite to what you meant. I like all of their albums and styles to some extent, but from their first album, to their last you could tell people very easily that it was a different band, they'd believe you.
I also know lots of people who have one era of Floyd they like, and can't stand another, so I guess it works for them.

It probably applies to me in some way, but the only example I can think of is that the only Nirvana album I can stand to listen to anymore is the unplugged set they did. But I think that's probably more due to me heavily growing out of Nirvana.

nieh
10-19-2007, 05:18 AM
The Mars Volta. 4srs.

killer_queen
10-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Of course! Limp Bizkit is the answer. As embarrassing as it sounds I do like their first albums. But the rest of it, like Results May Vary is crap, disgusting, you don't have to be a music expert to hate that album.

On an unrelated note, I really hate the concept of the album. I hate saying "I like/dislike that album". The thing is I like or dislike songs not albums. I think, a good album shouldn't have even one bad song and unfortunately only really big bands, like Beatles have that kind of albums.

Forza
10-19-2007, 06:27 AM
I can think of many examples... Children of Bodom's first albums vs the last two, Iron Maiden in the 90's, Falconer (when they changed from folkmetal to power metal). There can be so many reasons why you don't like one album and do like the others.

HeadAroundU
10-19-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm so good at knowing what I'm going to like and freak like that that at the end I'll end up downloading the whole discography with every fuckin' B-side.

If it's a shit like this simple "punk" band 'Paramore', I'd download just one album with the current hit song I like. (I kept just this hit song if I'm not mistaken and deleted the rest of the album)

I fuckin' H8 myself for downloading the whole 'Millencolin' discography. But that was a couple of years before...

There are bands with diverse albums. Hmmm for me, maybe Incubus. I absolutely love 'A crow left of a murder'. I dig it song by song. The rest of the discography, I love about 4 or 5 songs...

Your friend is freaky perfectionist. So your question is not really important I guess...

Vera
10-19-2007, 07:06 AM
My question isn't important? Dude, I'm just curious. :P Maybe I'm bad at elaborating my point..

Gulsah, I get what you're saying but I also think making a good ALBUM is another talent. To have good songs is different from having a good balanced album where the songs compliment each other. You know? And the sound holds up together.

Though yeah in the end of the day people don't listen to albums, they listen to songs.

Bazza
10-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Yeah but do you like one Radiohead album and enormously dislike another? That's my point..
Yeah, I really love The Bends (an awesome album), yet it hurts my ears to listen to Hail To The Thief. I think I may have worded myself wrongly.

I think the only times you could have such contrasting opinions about an artist is when they change their style/genre.

Little_Miss_1565
10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Nah, sometimes an artist just isn't on top of their game. Tom Waits and Nick Cave, for example. I think they are two of the greatest songwriters of our time, if not of all time. They have entire albums if not portions of albums that just don't stand up to the rest of their catalog. It happens.

Bazza
10-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I suppose yeah, for example Tenacious D really didn't succeed with their follow up, it was trying to be funny but had lost the originality of their first album.

opivy21
10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
If I judged some of the bands I like just on the first song I heard, or even the first album I heard, then I probably would not like a lot of the groups that I do. For example, the Minutemen changed so much from their first recording to their last that if I had heard one of their latest songs first I might not have gotten into them at all.

Jakebert
10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Nada Surf is the first band that comes to mind to me. Their latest 2 albums are great, some of the best indie rock around. Their first 3 albums are horrible, generic alternative rock that I can't stand.

JohnnyNemesis
10-19-2007, 10:50 AM
There are a few examples for me, the best one being the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The entire "Californication" album is, for me, an absolute masterpiece. Just outstanding. But I'd already heard almost all of their other albums by that point, and I thought they were not only bad, but fucking horrific.

Tool's AEnima album is another one, though I don't necessarily hate their other stuff, I just don't like it much.

ruroken
10-19-2007, 11:25 AM
INCUBUS. ACLOTM is still cool, but not as great as Morning View. And I rarely ever listen to Make Yourself, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and I NEVER listen to Fungus Amongus. I fucking hate Fungus Amongus. Shrooms are NOT the drug to compose music with! Stick with fucking acid or heroin goddammit.

For AFI, I hated Decemberunderground and then heard The Art of Drowning and loved it. Then I heard Sing the Sorrow and orgasmed. Then I didn't mind Decemberunderground so much.

BREAK
10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Green Wing: Warning

Fucking awesome typo.

And yeah, everyone makes a shitty album. You're damn lucky if you find a band with only one of those under their belts.

except Fugazi

Vera
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
OMGWTF.

What is with my typos?? I mean I do love Green Wing more than Green Day but still, wtf.

T-6005
10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
It really varies with me. Some bands I like everything. Other bands I seesaw on each album.

There are bands out there, though, where I like one album and seriously hate pretty much everything else that I've heard by the band (The Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium is the only offhand example I have).

Llamas
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Though yeah in the end of the day people don't listen to albums, they listen to songs.

I listen to albums... I almost never just listen to songs.

There are a few examples for me, the best one being the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The entire "Californication" album is, for me, an absolute masterpiece. Just outstanding. But I'd already heard almost all of their other albums by that point, and I thought they were not only bad, but fucking horrific.

Tool's AEnima album is another one, though I don't necessarily hate their other stuff, I just don't like it much.

RHCP and Tool are both great examples for me. With RHCP, I LOOOOOOOOOVE Californication and BSSM... I'm in between on By the Way and Stadium Arcadium... and I just can't listen to One Hot Minute or any of their early albums.

With Tool, I adore the last three - Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days... but god, Undertow is so boring. I bought it to complete my collection, and I don't think I've ever gotten through the whole disc.

INCUBUS. ACLOTM is still cool, but not as great as Morning View. And I rarely ever listen to Make Yourself, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and I NEVER listen to Fungus Amongus. I fucking hate Fungus Amongus. Shrooms are NOT the drug to compose music with! Stick with fucking acid or heroin goddammit.

For AFI, I hated Decemberunderground and then heard The Art of Drowning and loved it. Then I heard Sing the Sorrow and orgasmed. Then I didn't mind Decemberunderground so much.

Two more examples for me. With Incubus, I love SCIENCE, and most of Make Yourself. I HATE Morning View... ACLOTM is blah, and Light Grenades is decent.

And with AFI, I love Black Sails, Art of Drowning and Sing the Sorrow... but I never listen to Decemberunderground.

There are still more bands for me... tons of them. But you get the idea.

0r4ng3
10-19-2007, 02:51 PM
The only band I can think of right now is Alexisonfire. I can listen to Crisis like a million times, but I barely ever listen to their self titled. Watch Out is somewhere in the middle.

JohnnyNemesis
10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm sort of on the opposite side with Tool. I never got into 10,000 Days or Lateralus, but that's more because I just wasn't into the band as much by the time they were released. I first got into them when Undertow first came out, and it was my first CD from them, so I like it more. I don't really like it much, but the "hits" (Prison Sex and Sober) are enough for me.

coke_a_holic
10-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Seconded on The Mars Volta. My friend swears that Frances The Mute has better songs, but is a worse cd, but I refuse to listen to anything with over 5 minutes of frogs ribbitting.

Also, every single Arrogant Sons Of Bitches cd besides Three Cheers For Disappointment is terrible, but Three Cheers is one of the best cds ever made.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I mean, I like certain albums better than others. I don't have any super-obvious example of this kind of scenario where there's a clean-cut divide between good and bad albums. I would say that bands I like sometimes drop a dud, like R.E.M.'s "Monster" or Sponge's "The Man." Alice in Chains would be the other extreme, because most of their albums bore me but "Jar of Flies" is fucking fantastic.

ruroken
10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
With Green Day, I love American Idiot but I hate Dookie. Dookie is too generic, and every song aside from the singles and "All By Myself" sound the same. Plus his voice sucks and I can't hear what the hell he's saying. So there's nothing to relate to. I also love Kerplunk! but can't stand 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours.

Mindless Self Indulgence! I fucking love everything after their self-titled. Their self-titled is total bullshit (save for Bed of Roses on occasion). I wonder why Jimmy even tried to ripoff Nine Inch Nails...

Electric Dragon. Begins and their self-titled/Strictly For the Niggers Promo are fucking eargasmic. Then Sparx releases the horrible "Returns" :( it sounds absolutely nothing like Begins and Strictly For the Niggers.

Depeche Mode. A Broken Frame, Violator, and Playing the Angel: <3
Black Celebration: </3

Linkin Park. I still love everything except Minutes to Midnight. I don't understand the point of that album at all. They boasted being rap/rock even in their garage demos under the band name "Xero", then make some faggoted... um... is it even supposed to be rock? I can't tell. I hate Shinoda for not even bothering to use his pimpshit lyrical skillz

0r4ng3
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Linkin Park. I still love everything except Minutes to Midnight. I don't understand the point of that album at all. They boasted being rap/rock even in their garage demos under the band name "Xero", then make some faggoted... um... is it even supposed to be rock? I can't tell. I hate Shinoda for not even bothering to use his pimpshit lyrical skillz
Yeah, I know what you mean. Aside from Given Up and Bleed it Out, it's all boring.

I also agree with you on Dookie. It has some generic stuff, but Welcome To Paradise is fucking legendary.

ruroken
10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Bleed It Out got me so pumped the first time I heard it. Then I realized it had nearly two of Chester saying the same damn thing at the end. That's enough space for Shinoda to get in one more verse! wtf

Welcome to Paradise is legendary. However, I prefer the Kerplunk! version for reasons I can no longer remember (I'm certain there's a noticeable differance aside from sound quality)

JohnnyNemesis
10-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Black Celebration: </3

I felt the exact same way for awhile, but that's mostly because my expectations were so different. Now I love the album because I know what it is and what it isn't.

WebDudette
10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
At the Drive-In
The Mars Volta
The Blood Brothers
Das Oath
Ex-Models
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Locust
The Faint
The Blow
Some Girls
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Some of these are better examples then others.

EMehl6
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
For me, the best example is Avenged Sevenfold. I love "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" and "Waking the Fallen", but "City of Evil" was such a disappointment. And regarding A7X, their new album is amazing. I found the leak on the internet, and put it into a savefile project, which is in the "Avenged Sevenfold" thread if anyone's interested.

A few other's would be:

A Wilhelm Scream: I hate their first album, but love everything they've done since.

Strung Out: Their first few albums are ok, but all sound the same, but everything after "The Element of Sonic Defiance" and "An American Paradox" are amazing.

GOB: Their first albums pretty much suck, but "Foot In Mouth Disease" was awesome.

You get my point.

Vera
10-23-2007, 09:38 AM
I listen to albums... I almost never just listen to songs.
I get what you mean but ...in the end, the albums you listen to are composed of songs. So in the end, you listen to songs.

To be anal here.

Llamas
10-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I get what you mean but ...in the end, the albums you listen to are composed of songs. So in the end, you listen to songs.

To be anal here.

Well, the movies you watch are composed of scenes... so in the end, you watch scenes, not movies... to be even more anal here. :P

Little_Miss_1565
10-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, the movies you watch are composed of scenes... so in the end, you watch scenes, not movies... to be even more anal here. :P

You can't ever buy scenes apart from the movie, though, and they don't often make sense out of context of the film. Songs do, though.

JohnnyNemesis
10-23-2007, 11:48 AM
That analogy does not work at all.

EDIT: Yeah, what she said.

H1T_That
10-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Howcome every comparison Bri tries to make always ends up being de-picted...

Or is it just me?

JohnnyNemesis
10-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Howcome every comparison Bri tries to make always ends up being de-picted...

Well, it's not EVERY comparison she makes. Just the horrible ones, for obvious reasons. And it doesn't only happen to her.

She doesn't like being called Bri, btw.

All About Eve
10-23-2007, 04:53 PM
GOB: Their first albums pretty much suck, but "Foot In Mouth Disease" was awesome.

Agreed. They're so immature compared to everything else I listen to, but "Foot in Mouth Disease" is just... I don't know. I just like it.

I disagree. I have trouble jumping from artist to artist. I generally just listen to a full cd before switching. You can look at my last.fm charts; the top weekly tracks are almost always a bunch on the same cd with the same listens. It just generally flows better that way, and I really like/need the flow.

This is especially true if you consider concept albums. "Scenes from a Memory" by Dream Theater only has maybe one or two songs out of 14 or so that I'd listen to alone, but together it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

EMehl6
10-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Agreed. They're so immature compared to everything else I listen to, but "Foot in Mouth Disease" is just... I don't know. I just like it.

Yeah, I don't know either, but it's a really good album lol. And speaking of them, they have a new album coming out Oct. 30th. It's called "Muertos Vivos". They have some of the songs on their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/gob)

Llamas
10-23-2007, 08:46 PM
This is especially true if you consider concept albums. "Scenes from a Memory" by Dream Theater only has maybe one or two songs out of 14 or so that I'd listen to alone, but together it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Concept albums are a great example. So are musical soundtracks, operas/rock operas, symphonies, etc, etc. Pretty much 75% of everything I listen to falls into the category of stuff that I'll never just listen to one song, or random songs by... I have to listen to the full album... because otherwise, to me, it's like watching a scene from a movie without the full thing.

ruroken
10-24-2007, 08:23 AM
I felt the exact same way for awhile, but that's mostly because my expectations were so different. Now I love the album because I know what it is and what it isn't.
Same with Exciter? I can't get into that one either.

JohnnyNemesis
10-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I eventually got into Exciter, but I thought that shit was so unbelievably fucking boring at first. When I settled down and listened closely, I noticed there was some really interesting, but subtle things going on with that album.

I just think it's too slow, but the music is still really fucking good when I'm in the mood for the slow stuff.