PDA

View Full Version : R.E.M. Live.

Jakebert
10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Let all of the R.E.M. fans, all 3 of us, discuss the new live album/dvd.

The band sounds incredible, I'd say they sound tighter than they do on their actual albums, with a raw edge behind it because of it being live. "Walk Unafraid" and "Cuyahoga" are incredible sounding live. The version of "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville with Mike Mills on lead vocals is really cool, too.

But, I have to complain that the setlist is basically nothing but a "Greatest Hits" setlist with a few songs from Around the Sun. They really don't dig into any of the great album tracks that they have.

Also, the cover art is really bad:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/R.E.M._Live_CD.jpg

XYlophonetreeZ
10-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I heard it. I was disappointed by the lack of "Country Feedback" because the live version of that song is probably my favorite live version of any song ever. That said, I was generally blown away by the way they sounded. I was miffed when I read the track list and saw that "I Took Your Name" was chosen as the leadoff, but then holy fuck, the live version is like 2309589032485 times better than the version on Monster.

It was kinda greatest hits + ATS, but there were some really nice surprises like "So Fast, So Numb" and "Cuyahoga" as well. They didn't play ALL of their hits. But you can't expect them to leave off "Losing My Religion" and "Man on the Moon."

"I'm Gonna DJ" sucks:(. I hope it's not on the new album.

Jakebert
10-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I'm Gonna DJ is horrible. Unfortunatly, Stipe seems to really like it, so it'll probably be on there.

"So Fast, So Numb" was actually a single, just not a huge one. So it's kind of a "greatest hit" in a way. "Cuyahoga" is the same way. Great songs, though.

All About Eve
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
No. 3 here.

I haven't heard it and have no forseeable time to get it in the near future, but would either of you mind uploading a couple of your favorite tracks? "So Fast, So Numb" and "Cuyahoga" would be wonderful + anything else you relaly liked.

I relly wan2hear plz:(

XYlophonetreeZ
10-21-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm really really glad they stopped playing "Drive" the way they used to on the Monster tour and such. I hated that version and thought it totally ruined one of my favorite R.E.M. songs.

Jakebert
10-21-2007, 07:29 PM
No. 3 here.

I haven't heard it and have no forseeable time to get it in the near future, but would either of you mind uploading a couple of your favorite tracks? "So Fast, So Numb" and "Cuyahoga" would be wonderful + anything else you relaly liked.

I relly wan2hear plz:(

I'm pretty busy with homework right now, but I'll get to it tomorrow if Dr. Treez doesn't do it first.

EDIT #1: I like the rock version of drive. I think it fit well with the overall theme of the Monster tour, which was basically about big arena rock.

EDIT #2: I left all of my R.E.M. CD's aside from Hi-Fi at home and am missing some songs on my iPod. If anyone could up these for me, I'd <3 you forever. I know we have a special thread for this, but since I'll be uploading something in here tomorrow, I figure it's not inappropriate to ask.

Fall On Me
Cuyahoga
I Believe
Kohoutek
Low
Walk Unafraid
Moral Kiosk
Country Feedback
Me in Honey
Aftermath

If someone could get these, I'd be a happy boy.

BREAK
10-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't see the need for this. Didn't they just release a live DVD a few years ago, on the heels of their greatest hits collection (and with a much better setlist)? And what the fuck with 17 songs on disc 1 and only 5 songs on disc 2? I mean, I'd be OK with that if disc 2 were considered "bonus disc", but as far as I know it's being marketed as a double album.

More and more as the years go by, I'm convinced Bill Berry was the real genius of the band.

BREAK
10-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Fall On Me
Cuyahoga
I Believe
Kohoutek
Moral Kiosk

Got 'em. (http://download.yousendit.com/E8ED6C44275E356D)

Jakebert
10-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't see the need for this. Didn't they just release a live DVD a few years ago, on the heels of their greatest hits collection (and with a much better setlist)? And what the fuck with 17 songs on disc 1 and only 5 songs on disc 2? I mean, I'd be OK with that if disc 2 were considered "bonus disc", but as far as I know it's being marketed as a double album.

More and more as the years go by, I'm convinced Bill Berry was the real genius of the band.

I think it's a length thing. I know it's a pretty long album. I can't say for sure though.

The greatest hits collection wasn't an R.E.M. decision. The people that own the rights to release their early material put it out, the band just intervened and made sure that it was worth the money people would be paying by chosing the tracklisting and giving them demos and things for the second disc.

Also, thank you much for the songs.

BREAK
10-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I was referring to In Time, not The IRS Years one. But yeah, that's weird. One hopes that someday the forces of indie + major will be able to put together a total, comprehensive R.E.M. anthology with enough unreleased tracks and rare bonuses to satisfy both longtime and newb fans. It'll probably never happen.

Jakebert
10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
In Time made sense, though. There were about 15 greatest hits collections from IRS, so having one for the Warner Bros. stuff seems like a good idea. Plus, it's the first R.E.M. CD I bought, so it's how I got into them.

After the band becomes defunct, I'm sure that there will be at least one definitive R.E.M. collection released. But it won't happen while they're still releasing music.

Jakebert
10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I plan on uploading the album later tonight, I just need someone to explain to me how to upload something from a CD. I can only do it with downloaded files because I'm still somewhat new to uploading.

All About Eve
10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Just rip them from your CD into files, then upload that folder once you've zipped it or .rared it.

Jakebert
10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
My audio files go directly to iTunes though. I can't find the folder.

BREAK
10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Just highlight all the titles in iTunes and drag them to the zip file. That's what I do