PDA

View Full Version : Angels And Airwaves - I Empire Leaked!

RODNEYMULLEN
10-25-2007, 12:45 PM
I haven't listened to it yet, still downloading.
http://rs180.rapidshare.com/files/64996305/I-Empire__2007_.zip

Jakebert
10-25-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm downloading it, so expect an incredibly pretentious Jakebert brand review to follow soon.

coke_a_holic
10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Pretentious Jakebert pretentiously reviews pretentious Tom's pretentious band's new, pretentious cd.

Btw, I'm not going to download it because hearing his voice makes me furious. The thought of him alone has me wondering if there's any sort of vague form of karma in the music industry where people who are actually talented will eventually get something out of their hard work. He is a testament to this not being true.

jacknife737
10-25-2007, 03:59 PM
anyone else seen the music video/a live preformance for Everything's Magic? Tom looks, shall we say "awkward" without a guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=98V2zbuG1QY

Still, i do like this song (at least the studio version of it) more then most of the stuff AVA has put out.

Llamas
10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
OH MY GOD! They are so bad! The guitarist can't even play the riff well... he totally screws it up about 2:20 into the video... it's a really simple riff. And his guitar is out of tune.

Tom's HORRIBLE! I mean, I've always known he was bad... but he sounds constipated... and he can't hit most notes... his voice is just awful. It's an insult to music for someone like him to be singing.

The bass is okay, but generally pretty boring... and Atom is fine. He's the only actually decent part of the band. And this song really seriously sounds like a huge attempt at sounding like U2, even more than ever before.

I'm just gonna be honest... why do people like this band? I can't really find anything to like... the only thing I can think of is that people love Atom or loved Blink, so they're blind to how bad this band is... because I really just can't find anything good here.

Jakebert
10-25-2007, 05:26 PM
I've only listened to 4 songs, but so far it's even worse than the first one. At least that had a few interesting melodies hidden under the shit. So far, this one has nothing.

cool 2 hate 681
10-25-2007, 07:15 PM
i listened to the whole thing and never will again

thank you for the upload anyway RODNEYMULLEN:cool:

Llamas
10-25-2007, 07:25 PM
I just put on their first album after you said that... cause I couldn't really remember it. They've got some interesting layers in the songs... but I think what kills it for me is when Tom starts singing. I think maybe if they had a different singer (and well, a different guitarist than they had in that video posted earlier...), they'd be okay. But I probably wouldn't dislike them so much if they had a decent singer.

And I'm not just some Tom hater or anything... when I was younger and liked Blink, I actually used to prefer Tom's voice over Mark's because it was more distinctive... but then I realized that Tom can't actually sing.

edit: after putting the album on, I only got through the first track before I decided I'd rather listen to blink or +44... and am now switching. :P

EMehl6
10-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I must agree, it's a pretty terrible album. It's gets better in the second half of the album, but not by much. There's really only 2 or 3 halfway decent songs on it. The most meaningful is "Rite of Spring", because the lyrics actually have meaning, and aren't bullshit-hippy-change-the-worth-mumbo-jumbo like all the others.

The album really just sounds like a continuation of the last. I'm pretty sure if you listened to them back to back, you wouldn't know when one ended and the other started, except for maybe a few times. It's almost like one, giant song, just like the last. So in reality, they've released pretty much a 2 hour song.

The worst part about it is you can actually hear parts of songs that were in the last album, almost completely unchanged and thrown into a new album. Pretty pathetic. Tom's trying to be way too much like Bono, and trying to make AvA like U2. Everything's so forced. He needs to go back to playing pop-punk, along with the other guitarist. At least they sounded half-way decent playing that. Matt Watcher, the bassist, and Atom, are the only two talented people in the band. But, still, this album is a disgrace.

Overall, I'd give this album a generous 5/10, and that's being really nice.

Halfway Decent Songs:

-Secret Crowds
-Rite of Spring

Tolerable Songs:

-Jumping Rooftops (only because there's no vocals)
-Star of Bethlehem (same reason as Jumping Rooftops)
-True Love
-Heaven

The rest are just plain shit.

The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer.

coke_a_holic
10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Rite of Spring? I have a song called Fugazo.

Jakebert
10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I just put on their first album after you said that... cause I couldn't really remember it. They've got some interesting layers in the songs... but I think what kills it for me is when Tom starts singing. I think maybe if they had a different singer (and well, a different guitarist than they had in that video posted earlier...), they'd be okay. But I probably wouldn't dislike them so much if they had a decent singer.

And I'm not just some Tom hater or anything... when I was younger and liked Blink, I actually used to prefer Tom's voice over Mark's because it was more distinctive... but then I realized that Tom can't actually sing.

edit: after putting the album on, I only got through the first track before I decided I'd rather listen to blink or +44... and am now switching. :P

I think Tom is what's killing them, but not just his vocals. They have some decent melodies hidden in their songs, the problem is that they're buried under an enormous amount of unneccesary production. Tom very obviously wants something with an atmospheric sound, but he isn't a good enough songwriter/guitarist to do it without overusing studio effects and keyboards.

Really, the key is that Tom isn't a good musician in general. He's over-reaching and trying to hit something that he's just not good enough to get to. He wants something on the same level as U2 or Pink Floyd, but unfortunatly for him, Blink 182 was the best he could do. The biggest problem I have with Angels and Airwaves is that everything they do reeks of effort. You can tell that they want to be percieved a certain way, and they try really hard to be over-dramatic to get that goal.

EMehl6
10-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Rite of Spring? I have a song called Fugazo.

Haha. That's strange. Rites of Spring and Fugazi are both old post-punk bands. Rip off, maybe? But the 11th song is definately called Rite of Spring.

If you're making a joke about them ripping off both those bands, please disregard my statement, so I don't feel like an idiot. Haha.

coke_a_holic
10-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Disregarded.

EMehl6
10-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Thank you. I couldn't see the sarcasm through the internet lol.

Jakebert
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I listened to the album most of the way through and feel I can give a decent assesment of it. My opinion is subject to change, however.

"We Don't Need to Whisper" had much more of an arena pop edge to it. "I-Empire" sound much more like an arena rock record. The songs are big, with thumping choruses and much more noticable guitar work. But, that doesn't make it any better.

"Whisper" had some decent melodies underneath all of the production. This one really doesn't. The melodies are basically the same from song to song, sounding pretty dull in the end. None of the songs are memorable in the least, and the things you do remember are annoying as fuck.

Pretty horrible album. I don't even feel like bashing it because that requires me to think about it.

EMehl6
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
I think most of us can agree that AvA, after two albums to contemplate, sucks donkey balls.

I am eager, however, to hear the follow-up +44 album. They're supposedly working on one. I really liked "When Your Heart Stops Beating".

Jakebert
10-25-2007, 08:00 PM
(+44) are one of those bands that I wouldn't say I'm a fan of, but I can't really dislike them because they're so bland and inoffensive that there's nothing to hate.

EMehl6
10-25-2007, 08:02 PM
How do you see them as bland? They're songs have a lot of different elements to them, and they don't all sound the same, unlike another band lol.

Llamas
10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Of Blink, AVA and +44, my favorite is +44. However, they're pretty bland. All three bands are kinda bland, but +44 definitely is. They're just a typical pop-punk band. Mark's voice is good, but it's indistinctive, and none of their songs do anything new. They're just a very straight forward pop-punk band. That's not a bad thing. I really do enjoy the album. However, I wouldn't buy their music or pay to see them, because they are nothing new.

Jakebert
10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
^What she said.

Everything they do has been done a million times before, and not in that R.E.M. style "putting a new spin on things we've heard before" type of thing.

Vera
10-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh shit, I was under this impression Atom left the Offspring for an AWESOME band that I might actually enjoy listening to!

Well, Everything's Magic is an okay song, but nope, nothing amazing. Sounds kind of like a band I *might* like, were it just better with vocals.

Edit: Atom come back. :[

ruroken
10-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Their debut sucked so damn hard I'm not going to bother. I doubt they'll ever do anything worth my time.

Yatesy
11-01-2007, 06:52 AM
The studio version of Everything's magic was so bland that I couldn't even comment on it but the live versions is just plain bad. The first album had it's moments but overall is was pretty poor and I can't say I expect better from this album.

StayInTheHouseCarl
11-05-2007, 09:27 AM
i just threw up a little

crrrN
11-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Omg, this just sucks. I can't believe Atom left the Offspring for this crap.

Tom Delonge promised "the best thing that is going to happen in rock music" or some lame crap he promised a few years back.

The only thing great to rock music that could happen by his hands, would be if he'd quit AVA right now.

Ninty Man
11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
The best thing happened to rock???

LMAO XD

Anyway... I visit their website... COULD ANYONE BE MORE PRETENTIOUS THAT DELONGE?

jacknife737
11-09-2007, 03:21 PM
So i finally picked up I-Empire, and while its not spectacular, it is definitely better then what I expected. Call To Arms, Everything's Magic, Secret Crowds, Star of Bethlehem and Rite of Spring are all solid tracks. The cover art is kind of silly, but its apparently by the guy who did a lot of the Star Wars art. Overall, it was a large improvement from their debut, and is quite possibly the best post-blink effort of any of the original members.

patoff10
11-11-2007, 03:22 PM
The album have been n1 on iTunes (USA) since it starts

SuperKnux
11-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey um, could somebody upload "I-Empire" or repost a link to where I can get the album. My cousin has been telling me to get this record saying it's great and all. But seeing as I got bored of the debut rather quickly, I'd rather not spend my money on this release (unless it really blows my mind).

So if one of you all could be so kind, can you upload the album for me? It would be very much appreciated.

Tijs
11-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Angels & Airwaves - I-Empire (http://just4ndi.free.fr/ANGELS%20&%20AIRWAVES/I-EMPIRE/)

nameless
11-12-2007, 02:32 PM
ive only heard the new song on kerrang but i like it, hopefully they can work a good set live now with the new album!

SuperKnux
11-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks a lot Tijs, really appreciate it.

This album ain't that bad. I like it, but I doubt I'll be buying it. Thanks again, man.

maddie
11-16-2007, 05:08 PM
i agree. i think this album is solid. i mean, they're not trying to be like other bands...doing something totally different. they even started a site to load podcasts and blogs so they can get closer to their fans. i think it's a pretty awesome move.

bouncingcoles
11-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Omg, this just sucks. I can't believe Atom left the Offspring for this crap.

Tom Delonge promised "the best thing that is going to happen in rock music" or some lame crap he promised a few years back.

The only thing great to rock music that could happen by his hands, would be if he'd quit AVA right now.

agree with you. nothing would make me more happy then to have AVA break up

Jakebert
11-17-2007, 02:43 PM
i agree. i think this album is solid. i mean, they're not trying to be like other bands...doing something totally different. they even started a site to load podcasts and blogs so they can get closer to their fans. i think it's a pretty awesome move.

You're totally right. They don't sound anything like U2.

IAmARevenant
11-22-2007, 10:39 PM
I bet Tom Delonge is having a cute lil' pissyfit over the leakage.

Mr. Gepetto
11-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Omg, this is literally one million times better than We Don't Need to Whisper. Like I couldn't get through that album, it was so bad. This album still isn't amazing, but it's teh secks compared to WDNTW.

RODNEYMULLEN
11-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I have a 320kbps mp3 rip of the album, i'll upload it. Give me a while, to upload a file over 100mb i'm gonna have to register at sendspace.

Edit: allright it's uploaded
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y45fv7