PDA

View Full Version : The Evangelical Crack-Up

Mota Boy
10-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Now, I don't know how many of you are up for reading a ten-page, in-depth story on a social movement, but the latest New York Times piece about the death of the evangelical movement as we know it (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/magazine/28Evangelicals-t.html?ei=5087&em=&en=de9f1bf927ffa96e&ex=1193889600&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1193743362-MJ+hwkxEUvBR+NKxDRF7Vg) is the type of story that warms my soul.

WebDudette
10-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I may read it tomorrow, but just hearing about the subject makes me happy. I watched Jesus Camp a couple weeks ago and was genuinely frightened.

wheelchairman
10-31-2007, 04:57 AM
Actually Mota Boy, I generally like to use you as my filter for the New York Times articles.

Is it possible to read the whole paper online?

Mota Boy
10-31-2007, 05:23 AM
Why yes, yes it is! In fact, just a month or so ago the Times ended their subscription service for their top columnists, as well as opening up their entire archive. What's really nice is a list of "most popular" articles on the middle right-hand side of every page, which works as a great tool for those, like myself, that don't really like browsing papers online and generally only have the attention span for one or two stories at a time. The second tab features the "most blogged" stories, which trends more political.

And Pilz-E E - the article's mostly about the de-politicalization (or, more specifically, de-Republicanization) and the general trend towards a broader social message. Most interesting to me was the aside that evangelicals, over the past few decades, have seen their annual incomes catch up to the rest of America's. Really interesting. Reading it I couldn't help but thinking "Wow, these are self-described activist Christian evangelical leaders that I can respect."

BREAK
10-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Great article.

While it's nice to hear from levelheaded evangelicals every now and then, I can't help but feel that prophesying the death of the religious right is wishful thinking at best. Maybe as a social movement it's lost some of its impact, but there will always be religious wingnuts operating independently of any leaders. I don't honestly believe most people are actually thinking about the war enough on a regular basis to reexamine their world views. Falwell may be dead, in other words, but his message will probably never die. It's just part of a cycle - in a few years the people will get sick of the Democratic president and decide that our country needs to go back to those good old-fashioned values again.

Incidentally, I really enjoyed the fact that the article mentioned What's the Matter With Kansas, as it's the best book I've read on the phenomenon of "values voters". Have you ever read that one, Mota ol boy?

Mota Boy
11-01-2007, 10:13 PM
While it's nice to hear from levelheaded evangelicals every now and then, I can't help but feel that prophesying the death of the religious right is wishful thinking at best...

Incidentally, I really enjoyed the fact that the article mentioned What's the Matter With Kansas, as it's the best book I've read on the phenomenon of "values voters". Have you ever read that one, Mota ol boy?I don't think it's the death as a political force, just, possibly, the death of it as a lockstep wing of Rove's Republican party. The economic shift seems like a permanent fixture that will continue to alter the movement - the wealthier the movement, the more I see it interacting with other elements of society. The strength of solidarity of the evangelical movement has always been its insular nature, which was largely (I believe) set off in reaction to the Scopes trial and roll-out of evolution in public schools. As it becomes more urban, more wealthy and seeps back into the mainstream, I think it'll become more pluralist. At least that's what I hope.

And no, What's the Matter With Kansas has been on my want-to-read list for a while. I'll try and pick it up next time I'm back in the states.

Sin Studly
11-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Protestants die ; God approves.