PDA

View Full Version : New guidelines

HornyPope
11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
So what's your opinion on the guidelines? Which specific points you don't like and which specific points you are glad to finally see introduced for this forum? Discuss anything related to the new guidelines in this thread.

BREAK
11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm going to miss making fun of the band.

Sunny
11-07-2007, 11:49 AM
my point of view is probably going to be quite unpopular, but i honestly don't care either way. none of the forbidden behaviors particularly bothered me, but i also don't engage in any of them, nor will i miss seeing them around...

so generally, shrug, whatev, etc. aside from wondering what exactly brought this on.

0r4ng3
11-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm going to miss making fun of the band.
I was about to quote a certain song in response to this, but I'm not sure if it would get me banned or something.

JohnnyNemesis
11-07-2007, 11:59 AM
aside from wondering what exactly brought this on.

To answer: general dissatisfaction from the administration regarding the behavior of almost everyone on the BBS + trying to make this place more welcoming to new and possibly younger Offspring fans with the new album coming out.

I was about to quote a certain song in response to this, but I'm not sure if it would get me banned or something.

Lol.

Also, kudos on making the thread. I've always felt that there needed to be more direct and organized feedback from the users of the BBS on how things are going.

Sunny
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
i can definitely see how certain patterns of behavior here could be traumatizing to a younger, wide-eyed audience (the bear whose name cannot be spoken, anyone?). thanks for clarifying. :]

F@ BANKZ
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, I like the seven days grace at least.

HornyPope
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM

Don't worry, jokes are still allowed in this place.

I think what they want to is to curb insults like "oh you're an offspring fan, you obviously don't know music then". The really nasty stuff that turns the genuine Offspring fans from the site.

HornyPope
11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
By the way, the guidelines are not wholeheartly embraced by the moderators either. In fact, they were conceived by Little_miss_1565 at the management's request. The rest of us received an ultimatum. I mention this so you don't think "if the moderators are ok with it, so are we".

Your input is extremely important. It should be heard.

WebDudette
11-07-2007, 07:04 PM
"No one wants to be a part of a forum where everyone is negative."

Then why does this forum have so many people?

I'm fine with everything on there. I don't think things will change a whole lot and even if they do we always have the IRC room to put to use.

Vera
11-08-2007, 04:03 AM
By the way, the guidelines are not wholeheartly embraced by the moderators either. In fact, they were conceived by Little_miss_1565 at the management's request. The rest of us received an ultimatum. I mention this so you don't think "if the moderators are ok with it, so are we".

Your input is extremely important. It should be heard.

Way to phrase it so very dramatically, Vlad. :P

What happened is Sarah being contacted about this by admins, she drafted the guidelines, posted them, we agreed to them, and then we were given the ultimatum to either follow them or step down as mods.

The change will be tricky but not enormous. I'm almost sure we'll manage.

mrconeman
11-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Well for one, I'm glad about the respect towards the band rule. People who basically went out of their way to make fun of the band were just as childish, if not more so than the fans who are like "OMG OFFSPRINGS R TEH GREATAST". I mean a little more funny, but just as childish.

- No posting personal information about users. This includes posting private e-mails and PM’s without the consent of everyone involved.

No more making fun of Sinister? :( (I kid..)

- Abuse of the moderators will not be tolerated.
What about inter-moderator abuse?

Generally, I don't really know about all of these rules. I think it may actually take away from some of the post quality, but thats just tough for us, this board is for a band that has fans of all ages, we'll just have to adapt.

HeadAroundU
11-08-2007, 06:23 AM
so generally, shrug, whatev, etc. aside from wondering what exactly brought this on.
I noticed that many rules are inspired by TheOldMark. I approve. He is an asshole at General Offspring Discussion.

What I don't like is that rule inspired by me. (lol@Sinister)

General Chat should stay as "wild" as it is. I approve of the rules for all the other sections.

HornyPope
11-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Way to phrase it so very dramatically, Vlad. :P

What happened is Sarah being contacted about this by admins, she drafted the guidelines, posted them, we agreed to them, and then we were given the ultimatum to either follow them or step down as mods.

The change will be tricky but not enormous. I'm almost sure we'll manage.

We didn't agree to the guidelines. We barely got a chance to discuss it and elaborate and give our own input when "the final draft" reached in our mailbox in a form of an ultimatum, and shortly after Sarah posted it as announcement, further preventing us from carrying any meaningful discussion.

Sin Studly
11-08-2007, 07:41 AM
- An extension or amendment of forum policy may occur by a vote in the moderator forum. The head moderator will act as tiebreaker in the event of a tie.

If so many of you disagree with the current guidelines, amend them and outvote Sarah.

Vera
11-08-2007, 07:49 AM
I think the main problem thus far hasn't been with the guidelines but certain incidents over them - which sucks but I feel we should all just move on - and the vagueness of certain things. But this is something we just need to work out on our own. We have the guidelines now - how to enforce them is another issue.

HornyPope
11-08-2007, 07:57 AM
If so many of you disagree with the current guidelines, amend them and outvote Sarah.

No, no, you're missing the best part. Voting only works when Sarah agrees with us. If we vote against her, she will invoke her "i'm defending the band" clause and we're ignored.

Sin Studly
11-08-2007, 08:06 AM
But it doesn't say that in the Forum Guidelines. It says in the Forum Guidelines that you can change the guidelines by vote. Therefore, you can amend the forum guidelines into something more accepted by all mods, by voting. I'm sure Sarah will agree with me on this, and happily state for the record that she has not usurped moderation power to the extent of ignoring the Forum Guidelines herself.

HeadAroundU
11-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Mods favor new Super Mods. :d

nieh
11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Only if they post pictures of the action.

Little_Miss_1565
11-08-2007, 09:08 AM
I'd like to thank those of you who have sent in feedback. It was very constructive and I'm glad that there are people who want to see this forum be awesome.

Justin, for the record, nothing from the guidelines as they are may be deleted.

Now if we're done gossiping and plotting like little girls, I'd like to get on with life.

Sin Studly
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Wonderful. Then the part about them being amendable by vote stays in effect, and the guidelines can be amended to something more palatable. I look foward to the moderation team bringing foward an amended set of guidelines that the majority of moderators are happy with, and I have no doubt that you'll diligently and professionally adhere to the amended guidelines, whether or not you agree with them personally. I do so love to see an egalitarian democracy at its finest.

Little_Miss_1565
11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Justin, I am all in favor of the guidelines being flexible. However, what needs to be kept in mind is that this is not the moderator's forum. It belongs to the band. That is whom we will be worried about being happy with the results, not the moderators themselves.

Sin Studly
11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes, and let me just say first of all that they are such a great band. Such a wonderful band. I have only the utmost respect for them. Truly, besides being unparalleled musical prodigies, whose seminary works have contributed to the Arts in such ways that cast shadow over the Renaissance, they are also attractive and vibrant men who have overcome the disadvantages of being well into their forties to capture the essence of teenage rebellion and angst, and the coolness of hating on cheerleaders.

But their genius has not stopped with their music and lyrics. They have, in their infinite wisdom, elected the sixteen most intelligent and capable people in the known world to act as First Amongst Equals in mediating the personal squabbles and advertising spam that would inevitably cast shadow over their demesne. And in doing so, they have taken only the trifling amount of two years to provide them with a charter of rule ; no less groundbreaking or innovative than the Magna Carta, the Aurea Libertas of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, or indeed the Constitution of the United States of America. And in the granting of this charter, or "Moderation Guidelines", as you would will it called, they have granted the power to amend and expand the very foundations of the rule of law to those bright and talented few ; our beloved Moderation Staff. And as God made Man in His image, so then have The Offspring, Glory be Unto Them, made their moderating staff in their image.

And so, it is with great confidence that I anticipate the release of the amended moderation guidelines, as The Band themselves have cast blessing over the amendable nature of the guidelines ; and so the amended guidelines and be fair and good, and a majority of moderators shall be happy with them, and shall enforce them without reservation, and we shall all live happily ever after, forever bathed in the love and radiance of The Offspring, Amen.

F@ BANKZ
11-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Personally, I'm completely against Super-Moderators having the ability to enforce bans. When Mods were elected this was one of the things they said they'd never be able to do. Bans should be left to administrators to enforce, not active members.

Little_Miss_1565
11-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Personally, I'm completely against Super-Moderators having the ability to enforce bans. When Mods were elected this was one of the things they said they'd never be able to do. Bans should be left to administrators to enforce, not active members.

This isn't going to be the Lord of the Flies anymore. Super moderators especially are in contact with the management so don't worry--I am being watched, and will not ban anyone without having a very good reason to.

F@ BANKZ
11-08-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm sure you won't, I just think you're being granted too much elevation and authority over the other members and moderators. Precious new members could be intimidated and not see BBS as quite as "free" as I did when I started.

Edit: Also, I'd be grateful if you could you sort out the extremely irritating Polls section please.

nieh
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
If I'm not mistaken, they still have to go through the same process to get a person banned, they just gave 1565 the ability to give the final ok instead of needing the admin to do it. It won't be any different from before.

F@ BANKZ
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm aware, but I think BBS won't be as casual with a single active member officially ranked so highly above any other.

nieh
11-08-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't think it'll change anything. And I really doubt it'll make anyone's first impressions any different since the only difference between now and before is completely invisible unless you actually look at the 'forum leaders' page.

Little_Miss_1565
11-08-2007, 11:05 AM
They asked me to step up because I've been here for years and years and care a lot about making this place inviting and awesome. There are several other band forums that are organized in a similar way. This forum is still considerably more lax than others. All I want is for this place to be open and inviting and fun.

What's up with Polls?

HeadAroundU
11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd like to thank those of you who have sent in feedback. It was very constructive and I'm glad that there are people who want to see this forum be awesome.

Now if we're done gossiping and plotting like little girls, I'd like to get on with life.
I don't like a tone of this post.

Amended = deleted & replaced
Amirite? Imsorite!

No, no, you're missing the best part. Voting only works when Sarah agrees with us. If we vote against her, she will invoke her "i'm defending the band" clause and we're ignored.

But it doesn't say that in the Forum Guidelines.
SS is right. WTF?

Sin Studly
11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I guess I should ask more directly.

- An extension or amendment of forum policy may occur by a vote in the moderator forum. The head moderator will act as tiebreaker in the event of a tie.

Will this be rule be adhered to as it is written, or is this just an underhanded deceptive sham that puts the new guidelines into disrepute from day one?

F@ BANKZ
11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
They asked me to step up because I've been here for years and years and care a lot about making this place inviting and awesome. There are several other band forums that are organized in a similar way. This forum is still considerably more lax than others. All I want is for this place to be open and inviting and fun.

What's up with Polls?

Well, I can't say I adhere to the new system, I retain it will take from the laid back atmosphere here and I believe it will do less good than bad, especially concerning new members. However, since you seem to be generally supported and I have put my reasons forward I'm willing to stop kicking off now and see how this new system pans out.

And I don't even know what to say they're just annoying as hell.

ruroken
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
What do you mean by "abuse of the moderators"? Does that mean I can't say fuck you to Rick anymore even though I'll end up realizing that he's right?

And... uh... I've broken all of these rules and there's plenty of proof of this. Should I be at all worried about past postings?

Lastly, this means there will be much, much less to laugh at :(

Endymion
11-08-2007, 11:46 AM

no worries, spanking doesn't count as abuse.

nieh
11-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Fortunately, everyone on the mod team is of legal age.

Betty
11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm aware, but I think BBS won't be as casual with a single active member officially ranked so highly above any other.

This may be true.

Also, feedback/amendments are considered only if they don't criticize current guidelines. So feel free to suggest MORE rules!

The good news is that most of the rules are incredibly vague and open to interpretation by the moderators, so we can still do our best to not be hardasses. So at that point it depends if the super mod is happy with that or takes matters into her/his own hands.

JohnnyNemesis
11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
What do you mean by "abuse of the moderators"? Does that mean I can't say fuck you to Rick anymore even though I'll end up realizing that he's right?

I'll miss those days, lil bro :(

Little_Miss_1565
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
You know, I'm really tired of the bickering, power plays, negativity, and general bullshit. The guidelines are what they are. They were determined to be necessary by the people who run this site. If anyone has suggestions on anything that was missed, well, awesome, please say something.

Jumping through hoops finding holes in the plan to exploit is really counterproductive.

This is a really simple thing. Here are the guidelines. They are vague enough that moderators will not be responsible for micromanaging the behavior of everyone on the forum but will still be empowered to impose order. Should something unforseen come up that the guidelines do not cover, there's an option to include them.

That is the spirit of the guidelines. No one seems to be disagreeing with me how selfish it is to try and subvert the assertion that this is the band's forum.

Rag Doll
11-08-2007, 12:54 PM
You know, I'm really tired of the bickering, power plays, negativity, and general bullshit. The guidelines are what they are. They were determined to be necessary by the people who run this site.

seriously. getting very annoying at this point.

i'm pretty much of the opinion that it really isn't going to be that big of a deal. the guidelines are here and they aren't going away. maybe everyone can just try it out and see how things go before people act like it's the end of the world? i dunno, just a thought.

JohnnyNemesis
11-08-2007, 01:00 PM
The light in the window is a crack in the sky
A stairway to darkness in the blink of an eye
A levee of tears to learn she'll never be coming back
The man in the dark will bring another attack

Your momma told you that you're not supposed to talk to strangers
Look in the mirror tell me do you think your life's in danger here, ya

No more tears, tears, tears

Another day passes as the night closes in
The red light goes on to say it's time to begin

I see the man around the corner waiting, can he see me?
I close my eyes and wait to hear the sound of someone screaming here

It's just a sign of the times
Going forward in reverse.
Still, he who laughs last
Is just a hand in the bush.

So now that it's over can't we just say goodbye?
I'd like to move on and make the most of the night
Maybe a kiss before I leave you this way
Your lips are so cold I don't know what else to say

I never wanted it to end this way my love my darling
Believe me when I say to you in love I think I'm falling here

jacknife737
11-08-2007, 01:01 PM
The new rules seem fairly reasonable. Specifically I like the “respect the band rule”, because certain users can be pretty obnoxious at times.

HeadAroundU
11-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey, do we still need 'No Love for the Trolls' and 'GC Rules (party time, excellent!)' sticky threads with these new guidelines being enacted? Delete them! :D

DefaultNinja
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
They seem fair enough, even though people seem to have some contentious attitudes towards it.

I do, however, have a somewhat negative opinion towards this rule

- It is expected that moderators will take the lead to foster and support an atmosphere of respect toward the band. Postings that are disrespectful of the band (including making fun of another fan because he or she likes the band) will be deleted. The forums should reflect whose site it is

Sure, this is a forum for fans of The Offspring, it'd seem pretty stupid for those genuine fans to say "This band sucks, if you like this, you must suck too etc..", but I hope this doesn't extend to genuine criticisms of the band either. Undoubtedly there will be times when something the band has done is going to cause bad feelings for some people, and if they want to make a well-constructed post about how they feel (as in NO "omg, dis song suks, y not liek prety fly ?"), they are still entitled to do so, right?

On to my second point,
(including making fun of another fan because he or she likes the band)
Would this really happen, this is after all, a board for fans of The Offspring.. how many genuine members can you see saying to new members "Haha, you like The Offspring, you don't know music!!" ??

Ok, so the second point is seriously unlikely.

HornyPope
11-08-2007, 01:51 PM
That is the spirit of the guidelines. No one seems to be disagreeing with me how selfish it is to try and subvert the assertion that this is the band's forum

Of course no one can contest who owns the forum. But fans are allowed to react to the rule changes, and if we establish that a lot of fans are dissapointed, we can pass on this message to the band.

Rag Doll
11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Sure, this is a forum for fans of The Offspring, it'd seem pretty stupid for those genuine fans to say "This band sucks, if you like this, you must suck too etc..", but I hope this doesn't extend to genuine criticisms of the band either. Undoubtedly there will be times when something the band has done is going to cause bad feelings for some people, and if they want to make a well-constructed post about how they feel (as in NO "omg, dis song suks, y not liek prety fly ?"), they are still entitled to do so, right?

On to my second point,
Would this really happen, this is after all, a board for fans of The Offspring.. how many genuine members can you see saying to new members "Haha, you like The Offspring, you don't know music!!" ??

Ok, so the second point is seriously unlikely.

genuine criticisms, such as "you know, i really don't like song x because..." or "yeah, my least favorite album is splinter, i wish they still did stuff like smash" is fine. constructive criticism isn't really an issue, at least with how i read the guidelines. just no, "omg, they fucking suck, everything they do sucks, omg, let's listen to fall out boy" (but i do love fall out boy...sigh).

and making fun of people for liking the band is actually a huge problem here, which really needs to be dealt with. glad it finally will be.

nieh
11-08-2007, 01:57 PM
On to my second point,

A lot of the older members on the forum started posting here ages ago and have since more or less grown out of the band. They continue to post here because of the community, not because of the band.

F@ BANKZ
11-08-2007, 03:28 PM
That said I only know of two or three members here who seriously dislike the band now. Most of them seem to have become apathetic but few post unsupportive opinions, if they do it's typically in GC, so I hardly consider it a major issue.

Jakebert
11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Just a few questions:

Are the more vague jokes about the Offspring (Dexter's manboobs, "And it feeeeeeels", ect) that aren't necessarily there to make fun of the band still okay or do those fall under the rule? I'm not trying to be diffucult or whiny like some people, I honestly just want clarification.

It syas "hostility kept to a minumum", but what exactly is ment by that? Are the usual arguments in the off-topic section going to be generally untouched?

Little_Miss_1565
11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
That said I only know of two or three members here who seriously dislike the band now. Most of them seem to have become apathetic but few post unsupportive opinions, if they do it's typically in GC, so I hardly consider it a major issue.

I know you haven't been here as long as some of us so you haven't seen the worst of it, but it is a problem. Hopefully it won't be anymore.

leo3375
11-08-2007, 07:11 PM
So some of the issues that may come up are NSFW material. Although it can't be posted, I don't see a problem with linking it provided it's prefaced with an NSFW warning. This is the rule on a lot of other boards I'm on, and if something that is NSFW is posted it's reported and mods will often turn it into a link or delete it altogether and note the edit.

Another concern is fanart/fanfiction. On some boards it's acceptable to post it in all forms, while on others fanfiction is prohibited but fanart is okay as long as it's SFW. Still on others such materials are allowed provided they aren't sexually explicit and/or contain band members in such situations or certain states of undress. So what's the fanart/fanfic rule? (I'm not saying I do this kind of material—but I know it's been posted by others in the past. And yes, I'm counting content from a certain "metal" site as fiction.)

Endymion
11-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Are the more vague jokes about the Offspring (Dexter's manboobs, "And it feeeeeeels", ect) that aren't necessarily there to make fun of the band still okay or do those fall under the rule? I'm not trying to be diffucult or whiny like some people, I honestly just want clarification.

those are exactly the sorts of things that need to go.

nieh
11-08-2007, 07:31 PM
No hope.
:( :( :(

Mota Boy
11-08-2007, 10:59 PM
What do you mean by "abuse of the moderators"? Does that mean I can't say fuck you to Rick anymore even though I'll end up realizing that he's right?I think this refers to persistent harassment of the moderators for doing their job - specifically Mark's constant bickering. I would be honestly surprised (and quite annoyed) were any of us so petty as to "enforce" this merely over getting flamed. Unless you plan on trolling the mods, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

It syas "hostility kept to a minumum", but what exactly is ment by that? Are the usual arguments in the off-topic section going to be generally untouched?Honestly, nobody really knows at this point. Enforcement will depend on the interpretation of the individual moderator. Most likely, Politics will be largely untouched. As for General Chat, overt, unwarranted hostility and the persistent harassment of individual members will be the main targets. But I really can't speak for the mods of that forum.

WebDudette
11-08-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't think the new guidelines are really anything worry about. This forum always has been and likely still will be far more lax then boards like The Depeche Mode forum and even the Afi forum. Also, like I said earlier if need be we can just make use of the IRC room.

HeadAroundU
11-09-2007, 03:49 AM
The light in the window is a crack in the sky
A stairway to darkness in the blink of an eye
A levee of tears to learn she'll never be coming back
The man in the dark will bring another attack

Your momma told you that you're not supposed to talk to strangers
Look in the mirror tell me do you think your life's in danger here, ya

Another day passes as the night closes in
The red light goes on to say it's time to begin

I see the man around the corner waiting, can he see me?
I close my eyes and wait to hear the sound of someone screaming here

It's just a sign of the times
Going forward in reverse.
Still, he who laughs last
Is just a hand in the bush.

So now that it's over can't we just say goodbye?
I'd like to move on and make the most of the night
Maybe a kiss before I leave you this way
Your lips are so cold I don't know what else to say

I never wanted it to end this way my love my darling
Believe me when I say to you in love I think I'm falling here

So back off your rules
Back off your jive
Cause I‘m sick of not living
To stay alive
Leave me alone
I‘m not asking a lot
I just don‘t want to be controlled
That‘s all I want
All I want

How many times is it gonna take
Till someone around you hears what you say
You‘ve tried being cool
You feel like a lie
You‘ve played by their rules
Now it‘s their turn to try

I said it before
I‘ll say it again
If you could just listen
Then it might make sense.

TheOldMark
11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
some I like, some I dont like. very interesting, things will inevitably be very different around here.

The hostility being kept to a minimum, and the ban on posting user's private info, ironically would lead to moderators being banned, if their past behavioral trends continue.

"Abuse of moderators"... Does this include disagreeing with them? Is there a function in place to prevent them from abusing the enforcement of this rule? Inevitably, this will happen.

If I say "I don't like this song", does that constitute disrespect of the band? Or is free expression of opinion with regards to new music allowed?

RickyCrack
11-10-2007, 12:40 AM
wow, look who chimed in. Mark, you're so predictable. Who else predicted him referencing 1565 and her tyranical moderating?

Tizzalicious
11-10-2007, 01:31 AM
some I like, some I dont like. very interesting, things will inevitably be very different around here.

The hostility being kept to a minimum, and the ban on posting user's private info, ironically would lead to moderators being banned, if their past behavioral trends continue.

"Abuse of moderators"... Does this include disagreeing with them? Is there a function in place to prevent them from abusing the enforcement of this rule? Inevitably, this will happen.

If I say "I don't like this song", does that constitute disrespect of the band? Or is free expression of opinion with regards to new music allowed?

All of those questions have been answered earlier in this thread. In fact, on this very same page.

Mota Boy
11-10-2007, 02:19 AM
What about freedom of speech man? The first amendment says I can say what I want to, when and where I want, if I want to, and to however I want, all the time to whoever and/or everyone about anything ever. You guys are nazis man. If I want to say the offspring suck dick all day everyday, I should be able to. The offspring would want me to have that right. Just read the lyrics man.While I commend you for your spirited defense of freedom, I've got to question your grasp of Constitutional law. You're aware that the First Amendment restrains to the government's ability to restrict your speech, right? When you signed up for this message board, which is run on private servers, you implicitly agreed to abide by the rules of this private institution, decided by the owners.

Have you tried to invoke the equal protection clause to get ushered into the VIP Lounge of clubs? Have you railed against the injustice of being unable to exercise the second amendment by taking a loaded handgun into a sports arena? Have you considered suing the Black Panthers because they won't allow you to join on account of your race? Of course not, because you know that if you were to have actually done any of those things, you'd manage to look as stupid in real life as you just made yourself look on the internet.

And I'm rather amused by your citing of a higher power in your careful reading of the sacred texts, which you believe imbue you with unique knowledge on how the members of the band think about specific issues. However rather than "just read the lyrics man" to decide how to do our job, we rely on [i]being contacted by the people who run the website, who work directly for the band.

This last point should be stressed for those of you that missed it before - this isn't the result of the moderators' own spontaneous decision to police the place more regularly. We've been in charge for - what - a year and a half now? I'd like to think that, as whole, during that time we've proven ourselves supremely restrained in exercising our power; more restrained, it turns out, than the people that run the site would've liked. These new guidelines are being put in place due to the wishes of the site administrators, in order to foster a better environment on the board, not due to our own capricious whims. We are just as subject to the guidelines as you are - if we do not follow them, the admins will find new moderators who will.

Also, just so you know, the First Amendment does not imbue you with the ability to say anything, anywhere anytime. Most famously, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes is quoted as saying that the first amendment does not give you the right to "yell 'FIRE' in a crowded theater". It does not give you the right to threaten the life of another individual, particularly the President. It does not allow you to sell state secrets to a foreign country. If you're going to invoke your Constitutional rights, I highly suggest ensuring that you understand them before doing so.

Mota Boy
11-10-2007, 04:29 AM
I honestly can't decide whether you're sarcastic or drunk.

JohnnyNemesis
11-10-2007, 04:42 AM
"Abuse of moderators"... Does this include disagreeing with them?

How in the holy hell does this question even make sense? In what alternate universe do you read "abuse" and assume disagreements fall into that category?

I had more questions regarding Mark's apparent horror at the very idea of authority figures, but I am le tired.

wheelchairman
11-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Mota, in Oregon oral sex is protected under your freedom of speech. But I think this is only in been an interesting part of Oregonian legislative history, I doubt other states followed suit.

Mota Boy
11-10-2007, 07:30 AM
I think it's just as interesting to think that Oregon once prosecuted someone for engaging in oral sex.

wheelchairman
11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Yeah, but that's the silly peasants in Eastern Oregon. They couldn't handle those big city courtrooms. :(

leo3375
11-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I can't tell whether it's hilarious or pathetic to see usually callous people crying over the new rules or not, so I'm going with both.

I'm with you on this one! I mean, it's really no different than on other message boards, and all it is doing is reiterating the rules but clamping down more on violations of those rules. A lot of the rules and guidelines are common-sense so there shouldn't be too much disagreement.

And "abusing moderators"—in my mind—means deliberately getting into unproductive arguments with the mods and admins, goading them into overstepping their boundaries.

And if people must get into arguments, take it to a private chat, IM, or e-mail. And if you must talk about the bands' lives outside of the Offspring, there are boards that allow that. *cough*MetalSludge*cough*

TheOldMark
11-10-2007, 04:54 PM
What about freedom of speech man? The first amendment says I can say what I want to, when and where I want, if I want to, and to however I want, all the time to whoever and/or everyone about anything ever. You guys are nazis man. If I want to say the offspring suck dick all day everyday, I should be able to. The offspring would want me to have that right. Just read the lyrics man.

not everyone here is from the US, and we have to respect those who do not have nor observe basic first amendment rights.:D

mrconeman
11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Has no one else come to the suspicion that TTiG could may well be, and probably is lying about his drunken state, and performing spelling mistakes, to take the notice off of how ridiculously stupid his citation of the first amendment was?

Jebus
11-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't know. TTIG sounded as if was being sarcastic from the start. You know.. calling the mods nazis, obviously misinterpreting the first amendment in a ridiculous manner, and citing offspring lyrics kind of gave it away.

EDIT: Just realized how wussified the post sounded. Need to be clearer. Let me rephrase. I'm one hundred percent sure he was being sarcastic. And I'm in absolute agreement with what he has said so far. By the most part, not much will change since the mods have been following these rules long before they were written. Having the rules in written/stickified form just seems like a way to stop other posters from crying out mod abuse by having the common sense mods have been using since the start administrator approved.

Mota Boy
11-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Thirteen deleted posts later...

Come to think of it, the new guidelines might not change all that much. Deleting drunken, poor attempts at humor that sidetracked threads in an on-topic forum has generally been par for the course for me.

Little_Miss_1565
11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Thirteen deleted posts later...

Come to think of it, the new guidelines might not change all that much. Deleting drunken, poor attempts at humor that sidetracked threads in an on-topic forum has generally been par for the course for me.

I LOL'd. It's true, for most people life here really isn't going to change much.

HeadAroundU
11-11-2007, 11:51 AM
So where are these rebelling moderators who "didn't agree" to the new guidelines? I call upon you to resign! What's stopping you from such an act of manliness which is rarely seen these days? Are you willing to continue doing this soul-fulfilling job even though they didn't play nice with you. Are you so greedy for power? Are you willing to lose your honour for the post of moderator on The Offspring BBS? However, this doesn't apply to our beautiful lady moderators. It would be ridiculous and lame to call upon woman to act like a man, and last but not least, impossible.

ninthlayer
11-15-2007, 01:59 AM
I adore the wishful thinking that new members will be pouring into the forums with the introduction of a new album, as I don't think this will be the case. For a band that seemed to be all about like ejaculating on rules and killing cops this seems like an odd move. Whatever, it's their forum and they can fucking have it. If Wasserman and crew don't want to read threads where people disagree with their stances and whatnot they probably should have chosen a different career, you know, one that kept them out of the public spotlight. Actually, "spotlight" is entirely too much credit. Whatever, fagz, and it feeeeeeels, etc.

I get asked why I posted on a website for a band that I can't even fucking stand and my response is that I like some of the older members. I don't really need the forums for this anymore so the question becomes why the fuck do I still post here? That's a good fucking question and one that I should probably evaluate.

ps: Sarah, I like what you're doing and it's great and all but you already know my stance on the board and the band's involvement therein. If they don't want to be seen as fucking money grasping assholes they should probably do something about it other than bitch and moan like little girls and wonder why the world is against them.

pps: lol, cher teh plat4m w/ u. KW is a fag.

Little_Miss_1565
11-15-2007, 08:19 AM
If Wasserman and crew don't want to read threads where people disagree with their stances and whatnot they probably should have chosen a different career, you know, one that kept them out of the public spotlight. Actually, "spotlight" is entirely too much credit. Whatever, fagz, and it feeeeeeels, etc.

I get asked why I posted on a website for a band that I can't even fucking stand and my response is that I like some of the older members. I don't really need the forums for this anymore so the question becomes why the fuck do I still post here? That's a good fucking question and one that I should probably evaluate.

ps: Sarah, I like what you're doing and it's great and all but you already know my stance on the board and the band's involvement therein. If they don't want to be seen as fucking money grasping assholes they should probably do something about it other than bitch and moan like little girls and wonder why the world is against them

I'm really bummed about your response, Sean. What about any of this would make them "fucking money grasping assholes?"

There is still space on this forum for the older and established members who do not like the band. Call me if you want to talk about this more.

ninthlayer
11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
//edit

lolololo

HeadAroundU
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
There is still space on this forum for the older and established members who do not like the band.
So where we can talk about Dexter's man boobs!?

lolololol@edits

Sin Studly
11-15-2007, 01:21 PM

No amount of words can express how much I find myself agreeing with this. I need to re-evaluate my life.

HeadAroundU
11-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Are ya guys going to leave the BBS? :( :(

TheOldMark
11-21-2007, 05:46 PM
If they don't want to be seen as fucking money grasping assholes they should probably do something about it other than bitch and moan like little girls and wonder why the world is against them.

In 2001, The Offspring gave away $1,000,000 of their own money to a fan, as a contest. They didn't have to do that. Now Lars Olrich of Metallica is a money grubbing asshole, got the Recording Industry to destroy p2p file sharing because he wanted a ferarri made of solid gold. Meanwhile, Napster and Columbia sue the Offspring. Do you see the difference?

JohnnyNemesis
11-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Holy crap, is the year 2000 all of a sudden?

Jakebert
11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Guys, I heard a rumor that Ron is leaving. :(

Sham
11-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Threads like "song vs. song" and "guess the lyrics" should be banned. boring as fuck. No discussion, no one even reads it and it stops other threads from being noticed. However, I do like "guess the song by pictures". That's a really neat thread, I think. Any game with pictures is pretty good, but the rest deserve tro DIE.

Little_Miss_1565
11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Threads like "song vs. song" and "guess the lyrics" should be banned. boring as fuck. No discussion, no one even reads it and it stops other threads from being noticed.

While I'll agree with you on the first two points (no discussion and very few people read it), I think the last is not true. How do two threads stop an entire forum?

HeadAroundU
11-26-2007, 04:14 AM
Hey, 1565, do you remember what TUNB did to "Say whatever on your mind"? Put on strap-on and delete them! :)

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, if you put it that way...I'm not doing shit. Stop being a jerk.

HeadAroundU
11-26-2007, 09:23 AM
So if I was being nice, would you delete them? :)

ruroken
11-26-2007, 11:32 AM
People read and discussed in "Say Whatever's On Your Mind". TUNB is just a prick.