PDA

View Full Version : Let's Have a little Challenge, for fun.

T-6005
11-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Ever had that song that part of your head told you you should be able to play, only somehow you can't?

Well, if you haven't, you're both lucky and not me.

In any case, I've got a challenge for you. I just thought of it and thought it might be fun to do.

Learn it. Learn that tricky guitar riff you've always wanted to know, or that ridiculous drum fill that's always eluded you even you know you're good enough. Prove yourself right.

Wait! It's not that simple.

You have one week from whenever you decide to start, and you will set your own rules and your own pace and if you decide to quit, well, that's your choice too. We've all got things that elude us.

Anyhow, I hope you'll join me in this. I've just started working out the solo to Hotel California by ear, and I hope to have it finished in a week's time. I'm generally fairly shit at working things out by ear, although I think I'm decent enough to at least play the basics of the solo, so I'm going for it and adding the difficulty of doing it by ear.

So please, join me in this little motivational experiment in our respective musical talents and, of course -

Good luck!

Oh, and one more thing - you don't have to prove it. Total honor system. You can claim you can play Eruption and one of the Goldberg variations at the same time. I'm not saying I'll believe - but you can always claim it. You can post it if you'd like, just to make your point, and just because it's always good to see others progress when you're all in the spirit of things.

Thomas
11-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Hmmmmm...... I like this idea. I'll definitely think of something soon.

EDIT: Can we try to figure out a lick that we can hear in our heads but can't get right in our hands? I can think of several fills and stuff that I want to be able to play, but never really got down.

T-6005
11-08-2007, 07:48 PM
This is a personal project, so it can be whatever you want. Just remember to allot yourself one week for it.

SkunkIt
11-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I would play it, but I neither have a steel drum, bass nor a Ska band.

Depending on the length of a song and how complex it is, it doesn't take me too long to learn a song by ear, unless I wanna perfect it exactly.

H1T_That
11-09-2007, 08:55 AM
I've tried this sooo many times, I just don't have the patience to pull it off.

mrconeman
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
As I mentioned while we were talking yesterday, (Sorry for disappearing by the by, my internets were being funny.) I'm currently working through Ocean by John Butler, it's insane, just the best instrumental I've heard. I'd never played in open C tuning before, and the double handed stuff is really fun, strumming with my fingers is something I need to get better at too.

I doubt I'll learn it all in a short space of time, to any really good quality anyway, I've learned about the first minute and twenty seconds. I'll let you know how I got on, in a week from yesterday (when I started learning it).

For anyone who doesn't know it, watch it, seriously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZw9D9c18E

My webcam is broken at the minute, but I should hopefully be able to replace it soon, if I get the whole thing learned I'll probably post a video.

T-6005
11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Update -

I doubt I'm going to make it after all. I managed to work out the first 30 seconds of the solo pretty accurately by ear the first night, but since then I've been keeping myself busy with schoolwork, my nanowrimo, and then yesterday I decided to spend the day recording a song, so now I'm hard-pressed for time.

Sinister
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
The idea is interesting, but most of the music I like I already know, or couldn't realistically play before a couple years. But if something strikes me, I'll make sure to post it up here.

JoY
11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
this seriously is an awesome idea!

mrconeman
11-12-2007, 12:39 PM
So the really fast strumming in Ocean is really kind of hard without those ridiculously long finger nails like John has, but I think I'm getting there. The only bit giving me trouble is the very first really fast finger picked melody. I think I'll have this done eventually.

The Talking Pie
11-14-2007, 01:05 PM
I've done it!

Okay, so I didn't post what I was going to attempt beforehand, but I only decided to give it a try an hour ago (inspired by this thread, of course. I owe a debt of gratitude for making me finally try).

Years ago I had this driving game with a killer guitar solo as backing. There was always one part of it that I couldn't figure out. It was this lick which I suppose is just a scale of some sorts. It kind of cascades down the fretboard. It's killer. Anyway, after one hour with headphones on and WMP slowed down to half-speed, I've nailed the fucker. Shame my wrists hurt like all Hell from being hunched over my guitar, though.

T-6005
11-15-2007, 10:18 AM
You're welcome, man. I'd like to keep this thread open for any forthcoming challenges people want to make for themselves.

Otherwise, I'm not going to get mine done. It seems other things caught up with my ambition. I got most of the solo mapped out last Thursday, and then I had to catch up on my Nanowrimo, and I felt the need to write a song on Friday, and then since I've been working on an essay which is due in 3 hours and I've only got until tonight to finish this challenge. Oh well.

The Talking Pie
11-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Here's a link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deg5fgjTyjs)

I spent half an hour recording this until I got one perfect take, so I don't give a flying fuck that over half the video's scrambled due to QuickTime being the most ill-thought-out codec ever*.

Anyway, enjoy. And I look forward to any videos anyone else wants to post of their progress!

*Edit: Except RealMedia. There's something wrong when your files start harassing you for money.

mrconeman
11-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Awesome video. Those fast bits on the upper frets were great.
Not many people believe me when I say that video game music is fuckin' awesome.

The Talking Pie
11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks man. Do you know the game in question, perchance? It's driven me insane for years not knowing who wrote that solo.

And how's your thing coming on? That video you posted was fucking insane; I'd love to see a cover.

T-6005
11-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I know how awesome video game music is, although personally my favorite video game music is from Top Gear for the SNES. It's kickass.

mrconeman
11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks man. Do you know the game in question, perchance? It's driven me insane for years not knowing who wrote that solo.

And how's your thing coming on? That video you posted was fucking insane; I'd love to see a cover.
I don't know the game, I thought I would have though, but that was definitely new to me. Let me know if you find out.
Mine went well, until yesterday, when I broke a string on my electric, so I tuned my acoustic back into standard to stop myself from going mad. I have pretty much all of the song down, just no where near as accurately, or as fast as the original, I think with a couple weeks solid practice at it, I'll be able to do a recording or something. Normally it doesn't take me half as long to get songs done, but as you said, John Butler is fucking insane.

I know how awesome video game music is, although personally my favorite video game music is from Top Gear for the SNES. It's kickass.
Yesss. I downloaded that on your recommendation if you recall, the music is awesome. However I still think the greatest driving game for music is F-Zero, because Big Blue is wondrous.

T-6005
11-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Got off my ass and learned almost the rest of the solo by ear. Now I've got another measure to go and after that it's the repeating arpeggios at the end.

I did not finish my personal challenge to myself within my timeframe, but I'm excusing myself because a lot of things cropped up at once.

Harnum
12-02-2007, 08:55 AM
TTP, That was insane man. Great job. Video game music is insane and that was extra cool.

Harnum
02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm bumping this shit, boiii!

A week from today, February 12th, I will have learned the entire bass tab to Torture Me by The Red Hot Chili Peppers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atroy55KxHU&feature=user). I've been trying it for some time and been sucking at it badly. But, I will accomplish my goal by February 19th. If not, I shall leave the BBS in shame...

lolol not4srs! :o

German Andres
02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
By the end of Saturday 16th I will have learned The Unforgiven solo. Don`t come around telling me that its easy because i know, I have the speed and the technique but as I have played the guitar for 1 year and a half, I still haven`t got the ears very developed, so it takes a long time for me to figure it out by ear.

I know there are great guitarrists here, so could you please tell what could I do about tabbing songs (solos in particular) by ear?

The Talking Pie
02-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I take it you mean The Unforgiven by Metallica? I look forward to hearing it. Take a look at my attempt, if you want any visual pointers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvhKlsQnz8

The pinch harmonics make that solo.

On tabbing things by ear, it's just something you get good at. Or, alternately, you can slow down the song on Windows Media Player (or any other software that alters speed without affecting pitch) and figure it out note by note.

German Andres
02-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Talking Pie, that wasn`t an attemp, its THE solo! It was awesome, really good sound. I really don`t know if I am going to get it for today, since the date I made the last post, some things happened and I couldn`t play a lot. But I have it all tabbed (some by ear, and the rest with videos, including yours) I just need to practice a little more :rolleyes: thanks again man I will upload it as soon as I can.

thanks for the tips! I will have it in mind

Dead Kennedy
02-17-2008, 02:13 PM
i just fuckin made it...for the first fuckin time i sang the last part of chop suey without my voice being in kinda ripped apart and with no falshetto!!!!
i tried to do something with guitar also,but i suck

German Andres
02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey, I managed do do it! Here is the link:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj42f9S7uQ4

i don`t have dist, besides the audio quality was terrible. But I think it sounds nice.

Thanks to The Talking pie, for posting the video and to mrconeman, who helped me with the fucking harmonic, even though I didn`t use it after all. But I will upload it again as soon as I get a dist

mrconeman
02-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Like I was saying before, for your time playing considered I was very impressed with that, especially without any distortion, you pulled off most of those high bends nicely, and your vibrato worked.

Get some distortion on that and a little more practice, it'll sound awesome.

T-6005
02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Definitely need some distortion. Also, on the little Am formation little arpeggio bit, you're out of tune. Fix that, plz. Maybe your guitar is just a little bit warped?

German Andres
02-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Like I was saying before, for your time playing considered I was very impressed with that, especially without any distortion, you pulled off most of those high bends nicely, and your vibrato worked.

Get some distortion on that and a little more practice, it'll sound awesome.

Thanks man. Getting a dist is in my plans, I will record it again when as soon as I get it.

T-6005, maybe my guitar is a bit warped.

The Talking Pie
02-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Very nice. You'll also find that pinch harmonics work a treat with distortion. Only advice I would offer: listen to Kirk playing the solo, and hear how each individual note sounds. Some of them have little nuances -- bends, tremors, slides -- and work on incorporating them to get it sounding perfect. I'm very impressed, though. Well done!

German Andres
03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Very nice. You'll also find that pinch harmonics work a treat with distortion. Only advice I would offer: listen to Kirk playing the solo, and hear how each individual note sounds. Some of them have little nuances -- bends, tremors, slides -- and work on incorporating them to get it sounding perfect. I'm very impressed, though. Well done!

Thanks dude! I`ll have that in mind! :D