PDA

View Full Version : Your first reaction to Splinter

CommonRider
10-24-2004, 01:11 PM
After waiting for it for over a year, what was your first reaction? Honestly I was really dissapointed, the only songs I really liked were Hit That, CGMHAY, and Spare Me The Details, the punk songs are the ones I expected to like the most but I just didnt really like the new style with them, i think all the songs are pretty good now but its still a dissapointment, what did u guys think?

Tijs
10-24-2004, 01:16 PM
over a year? try 3 years.

Marit
10-24-2004, 01:51 PM
I was dissapointed too.

Muttleygirl
10-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Geez, I wasn't disappointed at all.

I was like, how do they keep writing such consistently good songs? They never run out of ideas. And I thought Dexter's lyrics were amazing.

The thing is, CO1 has been my favorite album since it came out. I was always worried about whether or not they could make another album that would match my high expectations. But I think Splinter is a solid album as good as anything else they've made.

I think one of the signs of a great album is when you like the singles a lot, but your favorite song happens to not be a single. (For example, I love Americana's singles, but it's such a good album that the other songs are great too; my favorite is Staring at the Sun.) Splinter is like that; I love the singles a lot, but my favorite song is Lightning Rod.

And I love how there's variety on Splinter. A lot of bands' songs all sound pretty much the same, at least style-wise. But Worst Hangover Ever sounds nothing like Da Hui, which sounds nothing like Spare Me the Details, which sounds nothing like Never Gonna Find Me, which sounds nothing like (Can't Get My) Head Around You, which sounds nothing like When You're in Prison, etc.

I also didn't think Offspring were going to be able to match CO1's album cover, which is just so perfect. But when Splinter's album cover was released online, I was like, they actually did it. They came up with something new and meaningful, and just plain cool.

So basically, all my expectations for Splinter were met.

Stoffey
10-24-2004, 02:03 PM
If I wasn't so tired I would type a long review etc...but alas I am!

Anyway, the first time I listened to it I wasn't sure if I was that impressed, but the secodn time round I did really like it. However generally as an album it's not one of my favs as there are more songs on the other albums which I much prefer.

Kayleigh
10-24-2004, 02:07 PM
I don't like it. I was quite excited about it coming out, and I was really hoping it would be good (I didn't like 'Conspiracy' either), but I've only listened to it a few times. I just think it's really, really bad.

Stoffey
10-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah but I think most people seem to dislike the newer stuff because they say it's too "poppy." I say so what?! I dislike pop music in general yeah, but a bit mixed in is different and fun...it doesnt have to be all punk 24/7!
I guess most who think that seem to desire the heavier punk.....

offspringbaby2004
10-24-2004, 02:12 PM
I was just so excited that the new album was finally coming out. I am always excited about the new stuff that they have to give out to their fans. I really enjoyed Splinter. I don't really like to compare the CD's all that much. I like to look at each as if they are something new and different. Its all good stuff :)

~Mandy~

Obie2trice
10-24-2004, 02:14 PM
I was very very happy with Splinter. The record still rocks :)

Tired_Of_You
10-24-2004, 02:16 PM
I liked it a lot but I was disapointed with some songs such as Worst Hangover Ever. I thought it was kinda too short, but most of it is good. It's not my fave album but it's still a really good one.

Offspring_01
10-24-2004, 02:18 PM
After waiting for it for over a year, what was your first reaction? Honestly I was really dissapointed, the only songs I really liked were Hit That, CGMHAY, and Spare Me The Details, the punk songs are the ones I expected to like the most but I just didnt really like the new style with them, i think all the songs are pretty good now but its still a dissapointment, what did u guys think?

Dissapointment? I Don't think so! I thought the album was great. I love all the songs on that album, like the noose, Race against myself, never gonna find me, lightning rod... they all kick ass! The album was well worth the wait. :D

CommonRider
10-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Conspiracy Of One is great because 1/2 the CD are great stand otu tracks, thats really rare, plus Million Miles Away is one of my all time favorite songs and got me really into the Offspring

Gabriel
10-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Oh... I renember it like yeasterday.
When I buy'ed it on first premier day, I runed to my house and put it on CD player. And The Noose, my heart was bit'ing in the rytm of the song...
I wasn't dissapointed, I still renember this magic of first day listening to Lightning Rod :o... but 'when you're in preason' really pissed me. You now, it can be funny when you're listen to it one time, but when you're listening to CD over, and over...

beautifulnightmare
10-24-2004, 02:38 PM
I was very very happy with Splinter. The record still rocks :)
^same here

Stoffey
10-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Nice to see others who do also at least like it if not worship it!! Too many Offspring fans seem to have a major hate for Americana, Conspiracy and Spinter...for the reasons I already stated above.

mrconeman
10-24-2004, 03:01 PM
I can honestly say I love every single offspring album for one reason or another and splinter I think was just really great solid song writing (I mean not smash-good but still) I love how offspring always mix it up on their albums like with splinter you got some really good songs like CGMHAY fast at some bits slow at some bits great song then youve got songs like spare me and worst hang over just really funny lyrics and catchy as hell, then of course youve got da hui fast and hard as hell

offspring in all its shapes and sizes....excelent :cool:

killboybowerhead
10-24-2004, 04:34 PM
I love the album just wish it was longer. The first song i heard off of it was da hui and i assumed it was the first single so that pissed me off and then I heard that it wasnt and i heard hit that and i was like wat the fuck keyboards... But now i love Hit That and Splinter... screw Da Hui except for guitars.

Gommer
10-24-2004, 04:52 PM
I was not disappointed at all with splinter......

I quite frankly wasn't fussy for a few songs (worst hangover ever, when your in prison spare me the details) but i absolutely fell in love with it after that

Jake
10-24-2004, 06:59 PM
It Rocked! Definitly something new Mandy! Every album is something different because the band changes, so there ideas change. It was a great album.

NoHopeNoFuture
10-24-2004, 07:21 PM
I think Splinter was pretty good, I think its way better than co1

willferno
10-24-2004, 07:51 PM
I found Splinter great!...you'll maybe laugh at me, but Splinter was my first Offspring cd and I bought it cuz I knew a little bit the band and I liked Hit that... and as I remember I found the whole cd like one of the greatest album I ever heard... so I became a fan and I start to take money appart and bought all the 6 other albums and I went to the show! At Montreal! (yeah I'm french that's why I don't write really well english)... but still Splinter isn't their best album but for myself I think that's one of the best album of 2002-2003 (better than ioth and co1)

Tired_Of_You
10-24-2004, 08:06 PM
I found Splinter great!...you'll maybe laugh at me, but Splinter was my first Offspring cd and I bought it cuz I knew a little bit the band and I liked Hit that... and as I remember I found the whole cd like one of the greatest album I ever heard... so I became a fan and I start to take money appart and bought all the 6 other albums and I went to the show! At Montreal! (yeah I'm french that's why I don't write really well english)... but still Splinter isn't their best album but for myself I think that's one of the best album of 2002-2003 (better than ioth and co1)

I don't know why we should laugh at you. It's always nice when there's new fans and you don't only know songs like Pretty Fly and then say : "THey're da Best m@n, PRetTy FlY is so Cool!!1!!" ... and stuff like that... I don't hate those songs but I hear people saying that so often. By the way , it's cool to see someone else from Montreal. The show in Montreal rocked!

Jake
10-24-2004, 08:23 PM
^ i was goin to say the same thing, thats one main point of putting out a new album, to get new fans to listen!

azz419
10-24-2004, 08:56 PM
i've been a fan since they released "ixnay on the hombre" and have all albums. the best album by a hell of a long way is "ignition" and none of the others are quite that good, "splinter" is a good effort but, maybe a bit short, I dont mind the poppy stuff either. i hate when people say offspring has gone teenybopper cause of songs like "pretty fly" they dont know what theyre missing. I went to theyre show in perth and loved every minute of it, especially cause they played m fav song "gone away" and some older stuff like "gotta get away" and "I choose" it rocked. splinter is a good album, it just has something distinctive like the rest. I'm hanging out for a gretest hits :)

punk_flamingo
10-24-2004, 09:25 PM
I first heard Da Hui...it was the first one I heard and I was like "hell fucking yeah" I was expecting the album to deliver as fast and hard as that...like going all out punk....

...then I heard Hit That and I felt jipped. Then the album grew on me and i've learnt to love it - not as much as their older stuff, but alot more than Americana/Conspiracy

Unnatural Disaster
10-24-2004, 10:05 PM
I really liked it

TeddyBear_Army
10-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Splinter is my fav Offspring album...and yeah,I am a longtime fan(around 8 years).

So...splinter has a great intro (Neocon), my all time fav,The Noose...the best offspring solo in Long Way Home (yeah,im talking about the drum solo),some corny-but-way-too-cool keyboard in Hit That, a melancolic feel in Race Against Myself, the in-your-face punkyness of Head Around You, the ska influence in Worst Hangover Ever, the greatest whoa ever in Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rodīs lyrics and feel are perfect, Dex sings his best in Spare Me The Details, I just wanna punch everything when I listen Da Hui and laugh my ass off with When Youīre In Prision

You_Feel_Like_A_Lie
10-24-2004, 11:00 PM
I was personally really psyched to hear Offspring was coming out with another album. But when I downloaded the songs before the cd came out (don't worry I did buy it Dec 9th when it came out in the US!) I felt just a little disappointed about a few of them. It is a good cd, but I don't think it really measures up to say Ixnay, Ignition, or any before CO1. I love it now, as I do all Offspring cds and songs, but if I were to put any Offspring cd into the cd player Splinter wouldn't exactly be at the top of the list. But the song I'd have to say was...not my favorite was "Hit That". I've since gotten used to it, and somewhat enjoy it now, but what the hell is with that hip hoppy sound??? That and "Worst Hangover Ever" are probably the ones that bring the album down in quality. Though I really hate saying that, I truly do love Offspring, I just wish they'd get a little more in touch with their roots is all.

hshduppsnt
10-24-2004, 11:26 PM
I loved it and the more i listen to it the more i enjoy it. I think Splinter is an amazing album and i dare say it rivals ixnay and smash (my previous favorites, depending on the mood i'm in).

-hshduppsnt

Subsidal
10-25-2004, 02:11 AM
The very first thing I did with Splinter, was reading the last page with the news about producer & who else worked on it & stuff (I was in the car & couldn't listen to it) & I went like 'What the ....!!!' as I read they used trumpets, saxophone, trombone & bells. In that moment I just thought 'oh please let it be good. Please let me like that'. Of course I liked it & as I heard it the first time I never wanted to turn it off again :D

borgy
10-25-2004, 03:48 AM
I liked it a lot but I was disapointed with some songs such as Worst Hangover Ever. I thought it was kinda too short, but most of it is good. It's not my fave album but it's still a really good one.

Hit the nail on the head.

psimate
10-25-2004, 07:07 AM
i like Splinter,especially the cover
a little bit short but cool
:cool:

Dragnet
10-25-2004, 07:33 AM
First I was disappointed about Splinter and I'm still I think. Some songs are such fillers in my opinion but on the other hand Splinter has killer songs like The Noose, CGMHAY and DaHui (it's no songwriter masterpiece, but it rocks).
Another thing I really dislike is When Your In Prison. It's just NOT funny. They needed a track to keep it over 30 minutes I think so they recorded this piece of shit "fun" song in the end.

Orange County
10-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Splinter is a great album, quality not quantity, some of the lyrics written really are damn good. Agree, WYIP is cack, but hey. Splinter rocks!

Satankaban
10-25-2004, 12:18 PM
I remember the day I received it. I listened to it seven times in that day!!! I was very happy.Now I think itīs good album, but itīs not as good as their albums before. I think only their first is worse, but I like all their songs. Just I have rated each album. I think that "The worst hangover ever" is big disappointment.

smelly poo in a shoe
10-25-2004, 12:25 PM
too short and lacked the one 'killer' song... just your average album

Chainsaw
10-25-2004, 12:25 PM
i was amazed when i first heard neocon and the noose... the worst hangover ever was the only real dissapointment from the album...

sphinxdaking
10-25-2004, 12:53 PM
I think most songs are decent, but I have to say I am getting tired of the "mixing up" thing. Spare Me The Details, Worst Hangover Ever and Hit That isnt my favorites at all. But if u ignore those and intro/neocon, and outro/when ur in prison, I think its a great record, but its just like 10 songs without intro/outros which is like nothing.

Race against myself is one of their best songs they have ever made, also the noose, long way home, cant get my head around you are awsome songs! Not to forget lightning rod & never gonna find me also great songs.

More of these songs and the album would be really good. To be honest, 32 minutes is not enough! more songs, more quality, more punk, less mixing up.

Okey, some mixing up can be fine, like conspiracy of one (my favorite record). On that one we got 14 songs (1 intro), and those songs were just awsome. Lets just hope the greatest hits record can give us some new stuff, some new punksongs.

After that I hope that they do another record, and try to do something ixnay/smash/co1/ignition.

!

IdleOffspring
10-25-2004, 01:11 PM
another great album

No Brakes Boy
10-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Its got a couple of good songs but the only thing I get frustrated about it, is thats its too damn short, agree? I could forgive them if it was a B-Side album

dirty_magic
10-26-2004, 01:35 PM
i think its a good album with a range of different well written songs. it incorportes very kool album art and was worth the wait!

Obie2trice
10-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Yes for sure, but I don`t want to waith another 3 year till their new record.

TotalImortal
10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
first reaction to splinter - wow i can really tell thats not Ron playing the drums :cool:

You_Feel_Like_A_Lie
10-26-2004, 06:43 PM
I remember the day I received it. I listened to it seven times in that day!!! I was very happy.Now I think itīs good album, but itīs not as good as their albums before. I think only their first is worse, but I like all their songs. Just I have rated each album. I think that "The worst hangover ever" is big disappointment.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! How the hell can you think the Self Titled can be the worst??? I seriously think it's one of the best, and considering they had no real experience before hand?? Especially in the lyric writing department! Sure Splinter's good, but it can never be better than the first four!

Layna
10-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Splinter is a good album, but not as good as Ixnay or Smash(I think ixnay and smash are the best albums) Splinter "is" a different sound( the worst hangover ever is very different ...ohh and spare me the details). Anyway, it's not a bad album.

Neuxes
10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
No, it is not an aweful album, some songs are really quite cool. They have a new sound, which is good, but they also have 'classic' offspring which i also quite tasty. I do like the album, also agree with that it should be less than three years for the next one.
I can't wait! :cool:

nitropenguin!
10-26-2004, 08:08 PM
I can never put one of their albums at the bottom of the list. Its like I usually have 2 top faves and the rest are all #3's. I thought Splinter was awesome, not good, awesome. It's not one of the 2 faves though.

You_Feel_Like_A_Lie
10-27-2004, 10:52 PM
:mad: *Secretly plans Satankaban's horrible unthinkable demise* :mad:

Julie
10-28-2004, 12:32 AM
My first reaction was - fuck it's short (the time)

selfrighteoussuicide
10-28-2004, 03:32 AM
better than americana but crap compared to the others

race against myself, the noose and da hui are easily the best songs

Neuxes
11-02-2004, 01:56 AM
no way, americana is a kick ass album, although i must admit the songs you choose as your fave are damn cool.

Idiot
11-02-2004, 04:22 AM
When I first heard clips from Splinter a few weeks before it came out, I couldn't wait. When the album was leaked, I just had to download it (I bought the album when it came out as well though).

I really liked it, listened to it loads to begin with. But soon I realised bar a couple of songs (The Noose, Head Around You, Lightning Rod) I don't think many of the songs will be considered as classics, unlike several songs on Ixnay, Smash and CO1.

Dexter_H
11-02-2004, 04:26 AM
I bought it the day it was released, then the limited edition after, and the first listen I realised what a change it was from CO1, and I liked it better. Songs like Lightning Rod and the Noose were in my mind awesome.

Zugg Island Convict
11-02-2004, 05:26 AM
my first reaction was this album is awesome, how can people not wanna buy this?

MirandaV
11-02-2004, 05:45 AM
My first reaction, 'Shit, there's a scratch on the cd, nooo'
But then I realized it was normal

Vera
11-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Well, I remember already liking Hit That and Da Hui was okay in the first listening, but with time it got boring. I pretty much liked the album overall, I recognized it was too short, but I still liked it, some songs were (still are) too kickass to be ignored.

scream
11-02-2004, 03:08 PM
I loved every minute of it.At first I was confused by Neocon (was or wasnt it an intro?), but then BAM the Noose hit and I was hooked.

selfrighteoussuicide
11-02-2004, 03:12 PM
there should have been more songs on it and no shit like the worst hangover ever and when youre in prison.

Slayer
11-02-2004, 03:33 PM
I first heard "Hit That" and didn't liked it, I dunno, maybe it's because I like more their old stuff, that it's hard to me to get used to poppy songs like Original Prankster, or Hit that, but, come on IT'S OFFSPRING, i'm sure they could play anything and i'd still love it .. . (Now I like that song as much as I like the others) but when I bought the album, It was really a surprise . .. . they're showing the world that they can make poppy songs and be the Kings of Punk Rock at the same time ( at least for me )

Sparkey
11-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Personally when i got home and put on the CD, I wasn't to impressed, I only listenend to about two tracks of itbecause thats all I could at the time (Worst Hangover Ever and When Youre In Prison) and was very confused...how could I not like someting created by these guys!? But, a few days passed, I listened to a few more tracks, and still I wasn't impressed. I stopped listening to Splinter, and kinda phased out of Offspring for a while, still listening to them, but not as much as before, I was more into bands like Muse and InMe, Cast Iron Alibi and British Beef ect. about 2 months after this phase had passed I returned to my old ways of constant Offspring, accidently played a track form Splinter (Race Against Myself) and fell in love with it. It is now my favourite album of all time and RAM^ is currently and has been since I first listened to it, my favourite song

smileemptysoul44
11-02-2004, 05:25 PM
its a good but short cd. I was fine with it.

Special Delivery BR.
11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
To me, Splinter is the worst album.. but i like it, anyway :D

The 1st time i listened to it, i didnt like.... it happened when i listened to SMASH for the 1st time.. i hated it! (yes, i HATED!!!), but now smash is 1 of my fav albuns, and i also like splinter a lot!

pie.
11-03-2004, 02:39 AM
i agree...splinter wasnt their best...and it was too damn short!!!
:mad:

Sharkah
11-03-2004, 03:25 AM
Since smash i'm waiting for every Offspring album with madness in eyes :D I liked every one a lot (Ignition is absolutely my fav - but I love every other too). I'm not a punk fundamentalist like many of you here :). I love their "poppy" songs too!
I think its really showing the class of the band: "Look we could be a pop stars if we wanted to ;)" Thank god they don't want to.

Fallen.
11-03-2004, 05:46 AM
this kinda thread is like "Choose your favourite of your 7 children."

Splinter was great, some things i liked like some really well written songs, the way they changed the music style about a lot, i mean The Noose isn't like anything they've done and it blew me away.

things i didnt like were the way sometimes, some of the songs come off a little immature.

but i love it!