PDA

View Full Version : Syd Barrett.

Jakebert
11-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Last night I bought a double album pack that had both "Barrett" and "The Madcap Laughs".

I think this man may have created two of the most perfect albums in music history.

mrconeman
11-17-2007, 08:48 AM
I'd been meaning to get these, mostly because I just finished reading a seriously awesome Pink Floyd book, that went off on a couple chapter tangent about the sessions of recording the Barrett album. Apparently a whole lot of crazy things happened with Syd's worsening mental state.

Like on one of the songs, he was supposed to record a solo, but kept messing up, so David Gilmour came up with the random idea of playing the backing track backwards, and while it was playing backwards Syd recorded the solo first take, no problem, which is pretty fucking astounding really.

Other than that kind of interest of course, he's just a song writer I've had a lot of respect for, is it basically the same kind of stuff from Syd era Floyd? or did he change direction at all?

And naturally, you'd recommend them right?

Jakebert
11-17-2007, 08:58 AM
I do reccommend them. They're seriously two of the most interesting albums I've ever heard.

They're a lot acoustic guitar based than his stuff with Pink Floyd, and they're more like pop songs than the arty stuff he did with Floyd. Which I like a lot better because it really fits his style much more.

mrconeman
11-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Even more intriguing, I've been listening to alot more acoustic stuff recently.

I'll have to acquire them. If I do it any time soon I'll post about it, I guess.