PDA

View Full Version : Fuck Maryland

EMehl6
11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
This is what we get for voting that douchebag O'Malley in. Fuck him.

ANNAPOLIS—At about 2:30am, the Maryland General Assembly concluded its Special “Tax Hike” Session with a nearly $7 billion tax hike on Maryland families over the course of the next four years. Following a pattern of operating in the shadows and out of the light of day, the Democrat leadership again conducted these important votes and backroom deals in the dark of night.

The final tax package would increase the sales tax by 20%, would apply the sales tax to computer services, would significantly increase the income tax structure, would increase the car titling tax by 20%, would increase the corporate tax by over 18%, and would double the cigarette tax. The tax increase amounts to $1,222 per every man, woman and child in Maryland – or almost $5000 per family of four.

Legislators also passed a bill to place on next year’s general election ballot a constitutional amendment on slot machines. An additional bill was passed that would expand Medicaid coverage to include 100,000 more uninsured citizens.

The tax relief that was promised at the start of special session never saw the light of day. When trying to sell his tax-and-spend bill as having tax relief for everyone, Governor O’Malley promised to reduce the property tax for homeowners and double the personal income tax exemption for senior citizens. In the end, both of these promises were nothing more than props in a public relations campaign, and they were never intended to be fulfilled. Bait and switch was the name of the game during this Special Session.

nieh
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Your sales tax is going to be over 20%? Or did I mis-interpret that and it's going from something like 5% to 6%

EMehl6
11-19-2007, 05:28 PM
No, it's increasing by 20%. It's already pretty high though. Basically, they're stealing around $5,000-$6,000 extra in tax dollars a year per family.

wheelchairman
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
So taxes are stealing now?

EMehl6
11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
When they take $5,000-$6,000 PER FAMILY more a year, yes, it's fucking stealing.

Sham
11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
It's not like the government uses money for dinners and swimming pools, they use it for things that actually matter. They obviously need the money.

wheelchairman
11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
When they take $5,000-$6,000 PER FAMILY more a year, yes, it's fucking stealing.

Hardly. Although your sales tax is now higher than Denmark's. (Which is abnormally high.) You guys are so fucked

nieh
11-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Why did they need such a huge increase all of a sudden? What's it all going towards?

EMehl6
11-19-2007, 06:07 PM
It's not like the government uses money for dinners and swimming pools, they use it for things that actually matter. They obviously need the money.

Hahaha. That's pretty funny. You haven't lived in Maryland then, or payed attention anywhere. The government wastes so much money on meaningless shit it's not even funny. I know, you're all going to ask for examples, so, here you go:

-In 2003, there was $25 billion, no, that's not mistyped, $25 BILLION that the government couldn't account for. They had no idea what the fuck they spent it on.

-the Defense Department purchased and then didn't use approximately 270,000 commercial airline tickets at a total cost of $100 million. Best part is, they were all fully refundable. And, AND, the Pentagon paid for airline around 27,000 airline tickets TWICE.

If you want more fun facts, let me know. But I'm gonna move on to what the Maryland state government wastes money on:

-While Ehrlich was in office, about $1.1 million were spent on investigating him for "unlawful firings". Mr. O'Malley wasn't even in office 6 days and fired a few state employees for being "Ehrlich loyalists". Not only is that wasting money, it's just straight hypocrisy.

-Ever heard of the 'Wal-Mart Bill"? Maryland was the first to pass it. Yeah, it sounds fine and dandy at first, at least 8% of the payroll is taken out to be put in health care for employees. Ok, cool, but, Wal-Mart is the only company that this bill effects. So basically, it's saying, you're big and powerful, so no one else has to do this except you. What the fuck?

-The best for last: We're having a pretty wicked drought here in MD right now, and O'Malley is hiking taxes and wasting money on shit like what I just mentioned, yet, we're losing 30%-60% of our crops this year. Guess how much of the extra tax money he's spending on that? None.

Again, more fun facts, let me know, I'll be happy to add more.

EMehl6
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Hardly. Although your sales tax is now higher than Denmark's. (Which is abnormally high.) You guys are so fucked

Please do tell me what the Maryland government needs more fucking money for? Please, do explain. It's easy to say we're fine if you don't live in the state. And, you just said yourself, our taxes are now higher than Denmark's, which are ABNORMALLY HIGH.

EMehl6
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Why did they need such a huge increase all of a sudden? What's it all going towards?

Supposedly for health care and transportation, which sounds fine, until you realize that they're cutting education spending and shit. The best part is, O'Malley and the Democratic house and senate got in by saying they would cut unnecessary spending. Maryland education has been in the shitter for awhile, so I guess it's now deemed unnecessary. It's actually going to end up costing people in Maryland jobs too, because they hiked up the tobacco tax a fuckton, I guess thinking that it's going to make people stop smoking. Yeah, right. People will just go elsewhere to get their fix. And in the meantime, businesses that rely on tobacco sales will take income loss, and have to cut jobs.

Edit:

I forgot to mention, the tax hike bill was passed 24-23, and, the only reason it was even thought about by Maryland citizens is because we were promised that if we allowed them to increase taxes, they put slots as a voting issue on the ballots for next time, which has been a hot issue for awhile, and would help keep tax hikes like this from happening. Now, they're trying to back out of it, because they're saying it's a violation of Maryland's constitution. And, they majorly downplayed the tax hike, and it's a huge surprise to us now. Committee chairmen even stifled questioning by citizens and prevented them from going on record with full rebuttals. Assholes.

nieh
11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
No, it's increasing by 20%. It's already pretty high though. Basically, they're stealing around $5,000-$6,000 extra in tax dollars a year per family.

"Mr. O'Malley's plan recognized the reality of the consumer economy, raising the sales tax from 5 to 6 cents on the dollar"
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/bal-op.fraser18nov18,0,6574452.column

"Starting in January, Maryland's sales tax is going up from 5 to 6 percent."
http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=e689e1ff-28c8-4b4a-b9e4-a592aec7dd81

You're being bumped up to 6% sales tax and that's such a big problem...why? NJ was bumped up from 6-7 in the last year or so.

EMehl6
11-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Because it's the largest tax increase in Maryland history maybe? 20% sales tax increase, 20% titling increase, and the list goes on. I have a hard enough time making ends meet as it is. I can't afford an extra $1200 a year being taken, and I know I'm not alone. And, it was pretty much passed with no warning, at 2:30 yesterday morning.

wheelchairman
11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh I thought you meant your tax was increased by 20% as an absolute. Not 20% in relation to what it was. Oh you whine so much. I thought you were going to pay something like 30%. Hahaha cry some more.

Also it's unlikely to cost a family 5000$ dollars a month. Opponent accountants can pick from a whole range of numbers as families have different consumption rates.

So Emehl do you believe that the Maryland government is using the money on corruption then? I imagine the taxes are raised to fund Maryland's living wage laws.

Furthermore the world's smallest tax increase is not stealing. Unless you consider taxes as a whole as stealing. If so, that's retarded.

nieh
11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
It's one percent.

WebDudette
11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Arizona has an 8% sales tax I believe. Quit whining.

nieh
11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Also it's unlikely to cost a family 5000$ dollars a month

Not even $5000 per year. Unless everyone in MD is a millionaire. Seriously, for a 1% increase in sales tax to cost a family an extra $5000 per year, they would have to be spending $500,000.

Sham
11-19-2007, 07:02 PM
I guess I can see your point, Emelh, but when you put things in perspective, it doesn't really come off as a supportive statement. The state I live in alone has a 6% sales tax; and we seem to be doing just fine. I know the reason why it could be so hard for the state of Maryland is because it is such a big change, but the amount you have to pay is really not all that much once you think about it. It's easy to believe the government is being corrupt; most people, including myself, make these assumptions about tons of things. But the truth is, even though it may not seem like it, the state really does need this money. They wouldn't have necessarily laid out such specifics for something they wouldn't need. So, I think while the things they want to do with this money may not seem to have a reason, I'm sure it will and does have a purpose in the near future.

Sinister
11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Arizona has an 8% sales tax I believe. Quit whining.
Adding up federal and provincial taxes, the province of Quebec has 15.025% taxes. I think that might be among the highest taxes in the Western world, and most likely the highest tax in North America. And then there's income tax which depends on one's income of course. For an upper-middle-class family it can reach 40-ish%. And it's all shitty like that because we do way too fucking much in the way of public services.

wheelchairman
11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
My mistake. He said all along 5000$ a year. And I meant a year, I just typed "a month" for some reason.

Although that's true, that seems highly unlikely...

WebDudette
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Adding up federal and provincial taxes, the province of Quebec has 15.025% taxes.

And you get over-charged for books.

Sinister
11-19-2007, 07:12 PM
And we get over-charged for books.

wheelchairman
11-19-2007, 07:14 PM
The funny thing here is the actual discourse in the article. Unless you know the specifics of the tax increase, it does it's very best to make it seem like an outrageously high tax hike. The article then goes on to describe how much it will cost (and since it suggests that the average household will pay 5000$ which it clearly won't) we can guess that the number 7.3 billion is probably made up too.

And the information it presents and doesn't present is also interesting. First
It states a 20% tax increase. That sounds like the tax will rise by 20% as an absolute percentage, and not in proportion to what it was. (And actually it's still less than 20%).

It goes on to elaborate on the Governor's promises to cut taxes etc., without explaining what the taxes will be going to (wouldn't that be relevant to know?).

I also hate when people post articles and not their links, so I'm guessing it's Fox News?

jacknife737
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
In the end, both of these promises were nothing more than props in a public relations campaign, and they were never intended to be fulfilled. Bait and switch was the name of the game during this Special Session.

Did you get this from some blog?

wheelchairman
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
A quick search reveals that it's from FreeRepublic.com

I have no problem with the media as a whole. It's inevitable for media to be ideologically biased, it's simply the easiest way to convey a message should one use ideologically charged words. But to be outright misleading? Maybe you should consider a new source Emehl?

JohnnyNemesis
11-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Furthermore the world's smallest tax increase is not stealing. Unless you consider taxes as a whole as stealing. If so, that's retarded.

Yeah, I was gonna get into that, but you said what I wanted to say.

Also:

Homer: Woo-hoo! A perfect day. Zero bears and one big fat hairy
paycheck.
[opens it up]
Hey! How come my pay is so low? ... Bear patrol tax! This is
an outrage! It's the biggest tax increase in history!
Lisa: Actually, Dad, it's the smallest tax increase in history.
Homer: Let the bears pay the bear tax. I pay the Homer tax.
Lisa: That's homeowner tax.

Bazza
11-20-2007, 12:17 AM
In the UK we have sales tax (VAT) of 17.5%, although there are some exemptions such as children’s clothes and water. Also around 70% of our petrol (gas) price is in fact tax, which is partly why we are paying a pound a litre now (equivalent to over $7.50 a gallon). Just from a quick look on the Internet there are a dozen or so countries that have even higher sales taxes than us, Denmark (and other Scandinavian countries) have sales tax at 25%. So dude I wouldn't worry about an increase from 5 to 6%.

Jakebert
11-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Homer: Woo-hoo! A perfect day. Zero bears and one big fat hairy
paycheck.
[opens it up]
Hey! How come my pay is so low? ... Bear patrol tax! This is
an outrage! It's the biggest tax increase in history!
Lisa: Actually, Dad, it's the smallest tax increase in history.
Homer: Let the bears pay the bear tax. I pay the Homer tax.
Lisa: That's homeowner tax.

Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

coke_a_holic
11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
While Maryland is the king of bullshit spending and wasting money, our education system fucking owns. Seriously, so many of our schools are in the top 100 high schools in the country.

I'm all for getting rid of unnecessary spending, but saying that the money should be spent on the education system instead of health care isn't really rooted in much considering just how rich everyone is and just how great the education system already is.