PDA

View Full Version : Hard to Go Back

Sham
11-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Sometimes, after listening to a certain genre for a long, long time, I get used to that genre and can hardly listen to anything else. I have been listening to rap music for about two years, and almost no other type of music at all. Now, when I find I want to try rock or something along those lines, I get bored incredibly quickly. It all just sounds the same to me; I'm sure others have had this experience with other genres.

Have you listened to pretty much one genre for a while, and do you find it hard to listen to other genres?

Sinister
11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I find myself sort of stuck listening to metal lately; I don't really want to listen to much else, but I find that some more laid-back stuff gets boring quicker than it should; and it's stuff I used to love.

H1T_That
11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Sometimes, after listening to a certain genre for a long, long time, I get used to that genre and can hardly listen to anything else. I have been listening to rap music for about two years, and almost no other type of music at all. Now, when I find I want to try rock or something along those lines, I get bored incredibly quickly. It all just sounds the same to me; I'm sure others have had this experience with other genres.

Have you listened to pretty much one genre for a while, and do you find it hard to listen to other genres?

So, after listening to rap for the past 2 years, what spurred you to sign up to this BBS in september?

Sham
11-21-2007, 12:50 PM
So, after listening to rap for the past 2 years, what spurred you to sign up to this BBS in september?

I've listened to The Offspring for over seven years, and I still do.

H1T_That
11-21-2007, 12:53 PM

But you just said you've listened to pretty much* just rap for the past 2 years...

That kinda defeats the point of your thread.

*let me guess, you listend to just rap, and The Offspring right?

EDIT: Nice edit you did there, Sham.

Sham
11-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Stop being such a fucking pansy.

Meg
11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm lucky in a way that I listen to absolutely everything, so I ever get hooked or bored on a certain genre.

H1T_That
11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Stop being such a fucking pansy.

Way to get defensive because you know you're wrong.

batfish
11-21-2007, 01:01 PM
It hasn't happened to me for as long a time as two years. About six weeks is my limit, then I start listening to other genres too. Right now I'm on ska, still near the beginning really though.

Sham
11-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I wasn't wrong about anything. I said "mostly". And I was listening to them before rap.

And I didn't edit anything..

H1T_That
11-21-2007, 02:02 PM

Liar, you added that to the end of your post.

WebDudette
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't have that problem, I listen to mewithoutYou, several hardcore bands, Afi, Streetlight Manifesto, Ladytronm and Kanye West all in the same day.

I guess I have actually gone on an Afi binge where I didn't really want to listen to anything else.

Lodat225
11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Liar, you added that to the end of your post.

But that doesn't have anything to do to help his case.

Jebus
11-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Same thing as Sinister happened to me. Anything without chugga chugga bored the hell out of me. The only remedy was listening to a new genre, but that only repeated the cycle and made metal sound boring. Weird thing is though, seems like the reverse is happening now. Sometimes your just burn out a genre after a while and you find that your old taste in music starts sounding fresher.

Also, what the hell are you getting worked over, H1T_That?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Try 2006 for example. Because of this board, I listend to a lot of Pennywise, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, etc., and stopped listening to rap entirely. Now in the good life, I'm listening to rap like a cyclone, because that's just the way I are. Now, those three bands don't interest me that much at all, pardon several songs by each.

--
And Steven, I love you, but calling Sham out for that reason was so entirely unnecessary.

Mr. Gepetto
11-21-2007, 06:53 PM
I've never really encoutered this problem. I appreciate music rather than just listen to it (I'm not trying to imply I'm the only one who does this) anyway because I apreciate music I can listen to anything and enjoy it with the exception of truly terrible songs.

Llamas
11-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I honestly hate the concept of genres. They serve very little purpose. There is no entire genre that I dislike, either, especially because most artists fit into several genres. I have music from most genres, and float around amongst them all the time. I've been listening to The Rasmus a lot lately... before that was Static X... Regina Spektor... Mika... Nightwish... Dexter Gordon... Aaron Copeland... I'm pretty all over the board all the time. Sometimes I'll go on a kick for a few days or even a week... like I'll be like "Yeah I wanna listen to silly pop punk!" or "I wanna listen to screamo metal" or "I wanna listen to rap". But it's never long term, because if I stick to one style or whatever for too long, I start to get seriously bored. If I just listened to rap for long enough, I'd get bored with a lack of chord progressions and a lack of melodies/harmonies. If I just listened to pop punk for a long time, I'd get bored with a lack of talent (amirite?) If I just listened to 16th century Russian classical for a long time, I'd get bored with a lack of lyrics and a overabundance of seriousness. I'm kind of insatiable with music... gotta have lots of it and tons of different styles in the mix.