PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Full Albums

Sham
11-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I noticed that many of you say that you listen to the full album when you first get it. This was strange to me; I almost never do it. Generally, there's always songs I get bored of, so I immediatley skip it. I would go back later and check it out, but I just get pretty bored and tired if I listen to the same album for almost an hour. It's almost never stuff that will keep me excited and thinking every song on there is good and entertaining.

Do you listen to full albums, why or why not?

Autonomist
11-23-2007, 08:42 PM
I listen to full albums in order to deduct which songs are good, and how the album flares as a whole. It's common nature to me, and I've never thought about doing it any other way.

Mr. Gepetto
11-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, for me it just depends on who the album is by and what's on it. I mean there are albums where I can't skip a single track just because every track is amazing. However I do see where you're coming from, because more often then not there are one or two tracks I just don't dig off the bat and I'll usually skip these songs. But I try I to avoid doing this because when I first bought EGN I skipped over "A Better Place, A Better Time" because it started out really slowly and was boring compared to most other tracks off that album. That was just dumb of me considering that became and still is my favorite track off EGN.

nameless
11-23-2007, 08:58 PM
i used to skip tracks when i would buy albums on the basis of a few good singles but now i just let the whole album run. i find it kinda annoyoying when people im with put on an album and skip half the tracks then repeat them or mess about doing the same with a different album!

coke_a_holic
11-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I only listen to full albums. I've found through writing music (though it occurred to me prior to writing, I just never acted on it) that many artists use all of the songs on a cd to sort of tell a story or to keep a certain motif. The first song, in my opinion should set up the whole cd musically and lyrically, and the last song on the cd should bring a close to what has been stated throughout the cd. That's what really defines a strong song-writer to me, anyway.

My favorite cds are ones that I really have to listen to all the way through to truly enjoy. Single songs simply don't do it for me.

EDIT: it's uploaded and in the thread.

0r4ng3
11-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I generally make my own playlist of favorites, but I listen to full albums on a few occasions. When I first buy the album, or if I really like the album. Or if I've had an album for a while and I want to listen to it to look for good songs.

jacknife737
11-23-2007, 09:55 PM
My favorite cds are ones that I really have to listen to all the way through to truly enjoy. Single songs simply don't do it for me.

I agree completely. It just feels weird to skip like 1/4 of an album, it ruins the flow, I canít imagine listening to an album like Search For A Former Clarity by Against Me!, and missing like every other song. Then again, most of the band's i listen to tend to put effort into creating their music, but if you only listen to a band that relies on a couple singles and filler, well I can understand wanting to skip tracks.

H1T_That
11-24-2007, 04:32 AM
Cd's are best listened to in full, as they can tell stories and give theme's throughout

mrconeman
11-24-2007, 04:40 AM
I almost always listen to entire albums. Some albums just have such a good flow, or the fact that some songs become weaker when not enclosed in the one before it, and the one after it on the album.

The best example coming to me is Pink Floyd albums, Dark Side of The Moon is practically one really long song.

Meg
11-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Depending on who the album's by, I usually give the whole album a chance. Having said this, a friend gave me a copy of full circle, by drowning pool, and so far i've only listened to the first 3 tracks.

If it's a band i've bought CDs by before, then I generally listen to the whole album, just to see in what ways it's different.

But if they've released a single off the album, I have a habit of putting that on first, and playing from there. If I like past there, I put it back to the start.

wheelchairman
11-24-2007, 05:56 AM
When I buy an album I usually listen to it fully, for about a week. Then it just enters some kind of rotation with the rest of my music.

I haven't bought an album in a while though.

Vera
11-24-2007, 06:21 AM
When I get a new album, I usually listen to it on repeat until songs sort of merge into one big thing, and then patterns start to emerge, and I think to myself "Wow I love this chorus!" or "Okay this intro rules" or whatever, little things I notice and love and only after that I begin to identify them as songs. The songs that stand out to be at first are usually my biggest favourites though there are also times when I only later "discover" some songs as great songs.

Usually after I pick up on what are my favourite tracks, I add them on my various playlists and listen to them on those.

It really depends. Sometimes I play one song on repeat, sometimes I listen to full albums, sometimes I just put on a playlist and enjoy.

There are so many opportunities to listen to music nowadays, I try to do different stuff depending on my mood.

nieh
11-24-2007, 07:20 AM
When I first get an album, I always listen to it in its entirety a whole lot. If after a while I still don't like certain songs, then I might start skipping them in the future. You can't always tell how good a song is by the first few seconds, and you can't always tell how good a song/album is on first listen. There's a lot of great stuff out there that takes a few spins to grow on you.

BREAK
11-24-2007, 11:41 AM
I used to force myself to listen to every new album I got all the way through at least the first time. Now I find that if I'm not feeling it, I switch to the next thing. No sense in letting a lackluster album play when there's so much other great music to hear.

Little_Miss_1565
11-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I used to force myself to listen to every new album I got all the way through at least the first time. Now I find that if I'm not feeling it, I switch to the next thing. No sense in letting a lackluster album play when there's so much other great music to hear.

I concur. Though, sometimes I revisit songs I used to skip all the time and realize I've loved them all along.

All About Eve
11-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I've found that I like music a whole lot more if it's on an album. The best example I can think of is Pearl Jam. I didn't really like any of their singles a whole lot; they were okay, just not great. But mixed in with an album they're amazing.

Mannen som blev en gris
11-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm like most people in this thread. The first time I listen to an album, I always listen to the entire album and just try to get into it. Sometimes I fall asleep though, and that kind of sucks... because then I'll have to try and remember during which song I fell asleep and start over from there.

But skipping a song while listening to it the first time is something I'd never do. Like nieh said, a lot of stuff requires you to listen to it for a few times and get used to it until you start really liking it.

Of course though, there are songs you immediately like more than others, and then I'll listen to those more obviously. But I've noticed that that's not really a smart thing to do since I usually get tired of those songs after a while and the songs I thought were boring first are the ones I'll love later.

This just applies to new music though. When I'm listening to music otherwise I usually just have it on shuffle/random. Sometimes I feel like listening to complete albums though and, like others have said, some albums are simply better when you listen to all of the songs in the order they were intended. Most albums are like that actually.

Mr. Gepetto
11-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Though, sometimes I revisit songs I used to skip all the time and realize I've loved them all along.

I do this constantly.
I'll start thinking about a song I listend to once and then skipped everytime after that. I'll be like "What song was that?" and then realize it's a song I thought I hated.

WebDudette
11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I only listen to albums. When I listen to music I go through my folder and enqueue entire albums in WinAmp. If I am listening to an album and decide I really like a particular song I just keep moving it down the list so it plays multiple times, if I decide I don't particularly like the song I am listening to at the moment I skip it.

On rare occasions I will make a play list of certain songs, this is only when I am in an extreme mood and only want to listen to sad songs or something. Then sometimes I will open an album just for one song, for example, Hellogoodbye's 'Here in your Arms', because I don't like the rest of the album at all but really like the song.

Sometimes when I listen to track on there own I'll be like 'Oh, 'Blank' is coming on next' because I listen to whole albums so often I expect the next track.

DirtyYeso
11-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Sometimes when I listen to track on there own I'll be like 'Oh, 'Blank' is coming on next' because I listen to whole albums so often I expect the next track.

Yeah, that happens to me too. I know what comes next when a song ends, but I dunno what song it is (usually).
I think it's important to listen to full albums at least the first time.
It has happened to me that if I don't like a song and I skip it, I missed a really hooking part in that song and little by little every song on the album grows on me that way until I finally like the whole package. Plus, if I listen to many albums by one band it's cool to see how they've evolved their sound.

ruroken
11-26-2007, 10:10 AM
The only albums I listen to fully are... um... well, there's actually only one. "You'll Rebel to Anything" by Mindless Self Indulgence. Every song on it kicks ass. I listened to it almost nonstop for three months and it doesn't even break the thirty-minute mark.

Everything else has at least one song that I won't listen to. Ever.

Sinister
11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I usually don't listen to full albums. But there were a few times I've had an album going on nonstop for so long I sort of forgot where it started and ended.

Sunny
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
i never ever listen to whole albums. h8 it. i'm weird about music, i guess... my mood goes from Mika to Bad Brains in a matter of seconds. ;p

Llamas
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I almost always listen to full albums from track 1 to the end. There are a few albums that I skip tracks on (for instance, Mika) because not only do I really not care for a few songs, but also because the album as a whole doesn't really have a significant flow or theme... most albums do, though, and if I listen to random songs, I miss out on that. Plus, when I listen to music, I prefer to listen to one artist at a time. Sometimes I'll put on an artist's entire discography and listen to a few albums before I decide I want to listen to someone else. I don't get moods to listen to songs... I get moods to listen to artists, I guess. And a great portion of the music I listen to comes on albums that almost require a start to finish listen, because otherwise you miss out on a lot.

Also, there are songs that I only like in context. For instance, Pretty Fly for a White Guy... I don't really like that song, but I always want to listen to it when I hear the Americana album all the way through. That happens a lot for me... if I listen to an entire album, I'm more likely to like more songs, which is definitely a plus. :)

JohnnyNemesis
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I listened to full albums much more often when I didn't have so much work to do. I can't listen to music while I'm doin' my studies.

Typically, though, I almost always skip the singles/radio songs on an album no matter how much I love them. It's very rare that this is not the case. It's hard to explain why I'm like that, but it's really hard to sit through songs that have been overdone/played on the radio. Or, actually, even played on the radio at all.

I don't have that problem as much now that I don't listen to the radio or watch TV (aside from ESPN) like, ever...but even with older albums from back when I did watch TV/listen to radio, I tend to avoid the singles.

Then, of course, there are the shitty songs, which of course I tend to skip. But when life is extremely busy, I tend to only listen to the orgasmic songs on an album, and skip the ones that are just plain good. Example: on Streetlight Manifesto's first album, I always listen to "If and When We Rise Again" and "Here's To Life", because those are the ones that make me wanna cry because they're just absolutely perfect. I absolutely love so many other songs, but I'll skip them more often, but never skip the two I just mentioned.

Sham
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
When I listen to an album, I just skip around tracks. I might go listen to one, go back to another etc. It sounds extremely weird and forceful on yourself to listen to the full album like that. It gets kinda tiring after awhile, to me. And to be honest, I'm suprised many of you said that you do, infact, listen to full albums, all the way through. It's like BREAK said; if I'm not feeling the track, then no use boring and torturing myself letting it play. So, if I find myself skipping nearly every track on an album (it's happened before), I can judge the quality pretty quickly.

nameless
11-26-2007, 02:40 PM
dont any of you feel you may be missing out on decent tracks that may grow on you just because for whatever reason your not too keen on them to at some point?!

JohnnyNemesis
11-26-2007, 03:12 PM
dont any of you feel you may be missing out on decent tracks that may grow on you just because for whatever reason your not too keen on them to at some point?!

I was actually just gonna ask this same question. I always revisit songs a little later. It makes absolutely no sense not to.

Llamas
11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree. Also, I think I just like more music... I don't listen to songs that I really can't stand, but that's very few songs. I tend to like all the songs on albums, at least most. I've rarely ever bought a CD that had more than 2 songs I don't like as much. On top of that, I can't be arsed to sit there and mess with the CD player or whatever. I just wanna put in a CD and forget about it. If I have to actively skip songs or whatever, that's just annoying.

Camilamazed
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I do listen to the whole album when I get it. Specially because I mostly buy albums of my favorite bands/performers.

I do it because, as Mike said, because sometimes the lyrics have to do with each other so you understand better as a whole. Sometimes at the very first time, one song or to does not get to my attention, but then I keep listening and find out great songs.

On the onther hand though, it's hard for me to listen to some bands randomly just because of it. I'm used to listen to their songs in a CD order. It bothers me.

=|

Sham
11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I usually go back and revisit tracks on an album that I didn't listen to. Just because my general curiousities of the other songs are out of the way. But there's a pretty big chance I won't like the song again if I didn't like it before. I think if the verse is really boring, it's not a very good song if the only saving grace is the chorus. Or the bridge.

WebDudette
11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
I always queue a whole album but half-way though if I decide that's not what I want to listen to I change it. I also can hardly name favorite songs or recognize songs by their titles some times because I listen to "the Art of Drowning' not 'Days of the Phoenix', 'Sacrifice Theory', "Despair Factor', and "Smile'. Funny that I would use these as an example considering these are a few of the songs I actually listen to by them selves some times. That's why it makes it hard for me to pick favorite songs.

Betty
11-26-2007, 08:26 PM
My friend was driving on a little roadtrip we took this weekend and he didn't play one full album and kept skipping around and it drove me absolutely nuts.

I mostly try to listen to full albums, especially the first few times. If I like about half the songs or more I'll usually continue listening to the full album unless I'm just really in the mood to hear the good stuff. If I only like a song or two, even after a few listens, I'll make a mix CD full of random good songs from the albums I've been listening to.

I don't think I've reached the level of Sarah or Jake yet. I still feel like my appreciation of music needs development and I should force myself to appreciate styles that may take a little more effort to like. But I don't try too hard with stuff I don't feel since yeah, there's almost unlimited stuff out there that I haven't heard and lots that I'll surely enjoy.

wheelchairman
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
My friend was driving on a little roadtrip we took this weekend and he didn't play one full album and kept skipping around and it drove me absolutely nuts.

I've had friends like that. I don't hang out with them anymore.

Betty
11-26-2007, 10:32 PM
That's definitely not a good enough reason for me to not hangout with somebody. He's the only one fun enough to go on the roadtrip with me in the first place!

Edit: I suppose the not hanging out part could happen to be unrelated to the first statement.

wheelchairman
11-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah it is actually unrelated. But the implication was intentional.

I've noticed also that I listen to full albums in general. Although almost always in random order.

Except for Mew's album "And the Glass Handed Kites."

nieh
11-27-2007, 06:55 AM
I have a friend that can't listen to more than like 2 songs by the same band without getting bored. He'll constantly skip all over his ipod and will often even skip the ending/outros to songs he put on which means you end up missing like the last 30 seconds or so a lot of the time. He even plugged his ipod into my stereo without asking the last time I was driving him around and started doing the same thing. I would've stopped him but I was too "wtf?" to say anything and thought it might be funny afterwards anyway. I'll never let him do it again, though.

killer_queen
11-27-2007, 07:33 AM
There are just a few albums I love and listen all of the songs in it. Because there are always some songs I truly hate and I always skip them unless the singer has a great voice like Nick Cave.

BREAK
11-27-2007, 10:49 AM
It's like BREAK said; if I'm not feeling the track, then no use boring and torturing myself letting it play. So, if I find myself skipping nearly every track on an album (it's happened before), I can judge the quality pretty quickly.

OK, but I should really amend the statement: it depends who I'm listening to. If it's someone I've never heard before and I'm just trying out on a whim, I have no problem being like "wtf, screw this" and changing to something else. But if it's a band I have a history with, I feel an obligation to sit through it all, even if one or two tracks don't exactly rub me the right way, just for the sake of completism. By no means do I skip around listening to the first five seconds of each song waiting for one of them to jump out at me. I consider myself a patient listener and have heard far too much music to expect everything new to astound me right out the gate like that. Like I've said before, I give everything a fair chance. After that, though, it's trash or treasure.

BREAK
11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I think if the verse is really boring, it's not a very good song if the only saving grace is the chorus. Or the bridge.

And what about songs that don't adhere to the v-c-v-c-b-c-c formula?

ruroken
11-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I was actually just gonna ask this same question. I always revisit songs a little later. It makes absolutely no sense not to.
Well duh .

Sham
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
And what about songs that don't adhere to the v-c-v-c-b-c-c formula?

Well, I meant generally. If I'm not feeling for a little while, then it's off to the next track.

nameless
11-27-2007, 07:11 PM
its understandable if you absolutely hate some songs to the point of "why the hell did they put this on the album?!" etc. but to have a load of songs on the album that you always skip seems a bit of a waste in even owning it!

ruroken
11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
You don't always have the option of listening to it before buying it.

Dexter_Kyle
11-28-2007, 11:56 AM
When I get a new album, I usually listen to it on repeat until songs sort of merge into one big thing, and then patterns start to emerge, and I think to myself "Wow I love this chorus!" or "Okay this intro rules" or whatever, little things I notice and love and only after that I begin to identify them as songs. The songs that stand out to be at first are usually my biggest favourites though there are also times when I only later "discover" some songs as great songs.

It really depends. Sometimes I play one song on repeat, sometimes I listen to full albums, sometimes I just put on a playlist and enjoy.

There are so many opportunities to listen to music nowadays, I try to do different stuff depending on my mood.

Holy shit, I do the EXACT same thing!
But I mostly listen to full albums, because I find it like an enjoyable experience, a mental journey in which you go and you can get lost, can get overwhelm, can be fascinated with the sounds of a really beautiful rocking album, and plus I don't think you can judge a band's work based solely on one song, which can be the worse of their repertoire. Although you can also be listening to a really poor album xD, so sometimes to know a band you have to start with what is considered to be their best work.
And sometimes when I have no clue in what do I want to listen, I just put all my music on a playlist and shuffle it! Nothing like a weird mix to surprise you, like, from some Sigur Růs to old Metallica or from Offspring to Pink Floyd, I really like it when the shuffle surprises you out of nowhere.

Sham
11-28-2007, 11:59 AM
The problem is, no matter how good the songs are, I almost always get bored. It feels more like a burden to listen to a full album. Like "I have to do this to hear every song!"

Dexter_Kyle
11-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Well no problem, unless you really want to be able to listen to full albums.
Just listen to your favorite music the way YOU want to.

nameless
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
You don't always have the option of listening to it before buying it.

i know its personal opinion but i doubt i could decide whether or not to buy an album or if im gonna like the majority of the songs by listening to it a few times!

coke_a_holic
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
If listening to every song on an album is a chore, I suggest finding new music. Seriously.

0r4ng3
11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
The only problem I have with listening to full albums is the predictability. I dunno, I guess I just get bored if I know what songs is coming up next. Most of the time, I listen to an album on shuffle.

mrconeman
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
If listening to every song on an album is a chore, I suggest finding new music. Seriously.
I honestly found myself thinking the exact same thing at some of the replies in this thread.

I mean, skipping past a song or two initially, fine. Skipping past the singles because they're over-played, fine. Skipping past a few songs you genuinely don't like, cool. But if the album is mostly consisting of songs you don't like, and you're putting an album on to listen to 3 or 4 songs? Find some new bands to listen too.

ruroken
11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Or make a mix tape.

Sham
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
There are many albums I have where a love all the songs and listen to constantly, but can't bring myself to listen to the whole album in one sitting.

Jakebert
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

Almost all of my all-time favorite albums are ones that work as a singular piece of art. "Automatic For The People", "Animals", "Daydream Nation", and ect. all work because the songs work together to create one unified experience. I generally dislike most albums that feel like a bunch of songs randomly slapped together.

Which is why, if push came to shove, I'd pick my CD player over my iPod any day. I still prefer full albums to playlists of random songs. Plus, CD players still sound better than MP3's.

WebDudette
11-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I would still chose my Mp3 player, I just set it to play a certain cd in order.

Sham
11-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Seperate question; if an album has skits, or tracks that aren't exactly songs (think Disclaimer, Time to Relax, Intermission etc.) do you think I should download those too? Because I don't. Or do you?

Mr. Gepetto
11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Generally, if it's a full cd I'm moving or whatever I do keep tracks like that, although I always skip them when the time comes.