PDA

View Full Version : Pedals

Marco
11-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I need a pedal for my guitar, and I'm no guitar expert.
I'm looking for one which makes a clean sound (like when you press the little button on the amp)...the kind of sound you hear at the beginning of "Can't Get My Head Around You" (The Offspring),of "Waiting" (Green Day) or of "Fall Back Down" (Rancid).

Any recommendations?

Hope it's clear...

mrconeman
11-25-2007, 09:55 AM
You don't really get a 'clean' pedal. And that seems to be what you're asking for.

I think you may be asking for a pedal that can do distortion and also go clean?...
Well they all do, you just step on the switch to activate, or de-activate the distortion.

Unless you actually are looking for a better clean tone, in which case I guess you could buy a phaser pedal, or delay pedal or something.

Clarify what you mean, and I'll try to help you out.

Meg
11-25-2007, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't know any specific pedal to get those specific sounds. But as to pedal recommendation, I would seriously recommend the Zoom 2 pedal. Bloody brilliant pedal. you can move the sounds onto different patch levels and change the way they sound yourself, so with a bit of twiddling you can get more or less the exact sound or effect you want.

T-6005
11-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I've never heard of a pedal simply called the Zoom 2. I know the Zoom 505II, it was my first pedal and I think people can do a lot better even in Zoom, which I used to consider mainly a budget brand. I'd recommend the GFX series, personally - I owned a GFX-5 for years before I sold it and it served me well in my early years of playing, not to mention that Meg is absolutely right in the amount of tweaking you can do to the sound.

It sounds like you're asking for a pedal with a single effect, though - playing clean. Whenever you stick your guitar into your amp it should sound clean, otherwise your gain settings are set way higher than they should be. If you're looking to go back and forth, though, I'd suggest looking into the Boss distortion pedals.

mrconeman
11-25-2007, 10:49 AM
T basically has it right. I've never liked Zoom pedals (however I have a zoom amp, and for it's price, it serves me amazingly).

For pedals always stick to Boss, and avoid digitech where possible. Though I really cant sing the praises of the Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal enough, they're just fabulous. Offspring and a whole bunch of other bands use those.

Meg
11-25-2007, 10:57 AM
I've never heard of a pedal simply called the Zoom 2. I know the Zoom 505II, it was my first pedal and I think people can do a lot better even in Zoom, which I used to consider mainly a budget brand. I'd recommend the GFX series, personally - I owned a GFX-5 for years before I sold it and it served me well in my early years of playing, not to mention that Meg is absolutely right in the amount of tweaking you can do to the sound.

It sounds like you're asking for a pedal with a single effect, though - playing clean. Whenever you stick your guitar into your amp it should sound clean, otherwise your gain settings are set way higher than they should be. If you're looking to go back and forth, though, I'd suggest looking into the Boss distortion pedals.

That's the bugger. I forgot the 505 bit

Marco
11-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Clarify what you mean, and I'll try to help you out.
Yeah..ehm...so, there's this little button on my amp "On/off", which is different from "power". When I push it the guitar has an "electric" sound, if not, it just sounds like an amplified acoustic guitar.

The button I'm referring to is the one between "Volume" and "Gain" on this image: http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/2540256479001.JPG

To sum up: is the button I mentioned before the distortion one, and therefore the answer is this?

I think you may be asking for a pedal that can do distortion and also go clean?...
Well they all do, you just step on the switch to activate, or de-activate the distortion.

mrconeman
11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Gotcha. Well, when you use a pedal, you push that button so that the guitar sounds clean by itself, then you use the pedal in place of that button. (it will also sound better)

I'd say go to your local music shop and try a few Boss pedals in your price range, see which one you like.

Marco
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Gotcha. Well, when you use a pedal, you push that button so that the guitar sounds clean by itself, then you use the pedal in place of that button. (it will also sound better)

I'd say go to your local music shop and try a few Boss pedals in your price range, see which one you like.
All right. Thanks for the help! :)

Meg
11-25-2007, 12:01 PM
I agree with mrconeman. Your best bet is to go into a guitar shop or two, and test a couple of different pedals to see which one you like. You'll find that generally speaking, the staff will be very pleased to help you. Or at least they are here =P

mrconeman
11-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Meg's correct. Be wary though, remember that they are there to make a sale and it's likely that they will try to get you to spend a little more than you'd really like, trust your ears, not what they tell you.

Like when I last bought a pedal, my wah pedal, the guy was pretty adamant about me buying the dearest version there, The Zakk Wylde signature model. I politely explained I wasn't paying an extra £30 just because it said Zakk Wylde on the pedal.

Meg
11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
That was what I was trying to say, by them being very pleased to help you =P

Like coneman said, the best thing to do is try a couple of different ones and choose which you think is best. But if you have a disposable income, then heck, go for the snazziest one!

Marco
11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, that's what I usually do for the things I buy.
Fortunately the guys in the music shop I go to are nice, explain a shitload of stuff, have reasonable prices but also ask how much you think to spend...but I'll surely trust my ears more than them!

randman21
11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't mean steal the ball from Marco, but I'm wondering if any of you has tried either the Behringer X V-Amp Pedal (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXVAMP) or the V-Amp 2 Processor (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVAMP2). Iím not a guitar expert, either, and Iíve got no experience with pedals/effects/etc, but the latter of those two is supposed to contain the absolute biggest bang for its buck at $100. And thatís the one I want while Iím still pinching my pennies.

T-6005
11-28-2007, 08:36 AM
The biggest problem I can see with that second one, randman, is the lack of a footswitch.

randman21
11-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Heh, this is true. I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it. Anyone I semi-trust, anyway, rather than those anonymous reviewers.

Punk-Freak
11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't mean steal the ball from Marco, but I'm wondering if any of you has tried either the Behringer X V-Amp Pedal (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXVAMP) or the V-Amp 2 Processor (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVAMP2). Iím not a guitar expert, either, and Iíve got no experience with pedals/effects/etc, but the latter of those two is supposed to contain the absolute biggest bang for its buck at $100. And thatís the one I want while Iím still pinching my pennies.

You know... Usually the best way to get great sound, is to by shit-loads of pedals. And If you wanna use the effects for concerts, I wouldn't recommend behringer.

But if you don't have a lot of money, and won't jump on the damn thing, just go for the behringer.

I know a guy who uses it, when he's out testing guitars and he's pleased so far. But again, it's not a tank, so you can't kick it, like you can with boss pedals...

randman21
11-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Ahhh, cool. I was just gonna use them for recording anyway. Thankies.

Marco
12-08-2007, 01:40 AM
I bought an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 and sounds great!
I was looking for something that hadn't got a really heavy distortion, but was not even too "soft", and I am really happy with it.
I highly recommend it!

Random Goods
12-10-2007, 08:15 PM
okay, im having troubles with my Boss Distortion DS-1 pedal. when i play, i get this really trebly sound, even when the tone is set with treble off. is it because im using a spider 2 amp, which recomends humbuckers, which my tele doesnt have. if thats so, im getting an rg350, so then it doesint really matter, but if any1 is having this problem with a guitar with humbuckers, then could someone please help me/us.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2007, 10:06 PM
okay, im having troubles with my Boss Distortion DS-1 pedal. when i play, i get this really trebly sound, even when the tone is set with treble off. is it because im using a spider 2 amp, which recomends humbuckers, which my tele doesnt have. if thats so, im getting an rg350, so then it doesint really matter, but if any1 is having this problem with a guitar with humbuckers, then could someone please help me/us.

If you are talking about the orange Boss Distortion pedal, you are having this problem because that pedal is a piece of shit. You're better off getting an amp that has a decent distortion channel.

T-6005
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
The DS-1 is a piece of shit, I agree - straight distortion from Boss isn't so great.

Honestly, though, a lot of Boss's stuff is alright - the Super Overdrive Pedal is nice, as are the Tremolo and Fuzz pedals.

coke_a_holic
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I really like the Big Muff Pi. So fuzzy. Sooooo fuzzy.

Uh, I know I'm late, but I figure I can input this for future reference.

Little_Miss_1565
12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
The DS-1 is a piece of shit, I agree - straight distortion from Boss isn't so great.

Honestly, though, a lot of Boss's stuff is alright - the Super Overdrive Pedal is nice, as are the Tremolo and Fuzz pedals.

I ran my bass through a DS-1 for some really wicked metallic gnarly distortion. The treblyness of it really worked for that. It still sounded like a trash can, but in a way that worked for what I was doing. I think I've used a Super Overdrive with a bass and liked it a lot. Funny how the pedals meant for guitar work better for bass from Boss, and their bass pedals are fucking worthless.

I am, though, looking for some warm awesome fuzz bass tones and am stumped. Any suggestions?

mrconeman
12-14-2007, 07:28 AM
No idea about bass pedals myself, sorry.

But to chime in on the DS1, I don't think it's quite as worthless as people are saying. I mean, yeah, it's hardly great, but I got myself one to bring to school (my school sucks, and only has bass amps, so to get distortion, I needed something, and quick). And it sounds, y'know...half way decent. I wouldn't quite call it horrible. Maybe It's because I'm playing it through a bass amp in there, I dunno.

But it doesn't sound too bad on my home set up as a solo boost either, I mean I have it's settings quite a way down when I do that, but it really adds to the sustain for that.

Punk-Freak
12-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Boss distortion pedals doesn't really suck severel artist has been/are using them. I actually have a ds-2 and it's great for a lot of the stuff I play.

...But i prefer making my own pedals

Random Goods
12-27-2007, 05:39 PM
If you are talking about the orange Boss Distortion pedal, you are having this problem because that pedal is a piece of shit. You're better off getting an amp that has a decent distortion channel. my line 6 has a good (well a few) dist. channel but i guess i should have taken note that the dist. pedal was like $80 and the others were like $110. im just trying to decide now if i want a tube screamer or a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker active pickup for my GRG

T-6005
01-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I love playing guitars through Bass amps. There's something about it that just sounds much nicer to me. Maybe the absence of mysterious tinny sounds.