PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal albums.

Jakebert
11-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Are there any albums that remind you of a particuar season/time of year? Please share.

Spring:
R.E.M.- Green
Bad Religion- The Process of Belief
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists- Shake the Sheets
Garbage- Bleed Like Me

Summer:
Saves the Day- Stay What You Are
Sun Kil Moon- Ghosts of the Great Highway
Mazzy Star- Among My Swan
R.E.M.- Reveal

Fall:
Death Cab For Cutie- Plans
Green Day- Warning
the Mountain Goats- We Shall All Be Healed

Winter:
R.E.M.- UP
Foo Fighters- The Colour and the Shape*
Weezer- Pinkerton
Sufjan Stevens- Illinois

*This one reminds me specifically of waiting for the schoolbus in 15 degree weather.

nieh
11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't think any albums specifically remind me of a certain season, but there are albums/bands that I tend to listen to more during certain seasons than others. The last two Sunny Day Real Estate Albums and Radiohead I tend to listen to more in the winter, while I tend to listen to relatively simplistic upbeat stuff like Dookie (shut up) or the first Weezer album when it first starts to get warm again in the spring.

All About Eve
11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't really get the season feeling ever, although like nieh, my tastes sometimes change. During the winter I like crisper sounding stuff.. I don't really know how to explain it.

One exception. Shirley Manson's voice a lot of times gives me a wintery feel, especially in songs like "Milk" or "Temptation Waits".

Tired_Of_You
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Winter albums
Björk - Vespertine. Don't know why, but it sounds better when there's snow, LIKE NOW WEE!

Stars- Set Yourself on Fire is the ultimate winter album.

Summer albums
Ivy - everything I've heard of them sounds like summer. How can it not sound like summer when a song is called Edge of the ocean anyway?

Stars - Nightsongs

Summer songs
Fiona Apple - The First Taste and Criminal reminds me of summer because I listened to those 2 songs at least 4563 times during my trip to Costa Rica.

Green Day's last song on Warning reminds me of summer. Probably because I listened to that song a lot during the summer when I got it some years ago. Can't remember the name of the song, though. Someone help me?

Fuck Spring and Autumn. It's not as if they last long here.

All About Eve
11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Fuck Spring and Autumn. It's not as if they last long here.
Only 1/4 of the year each:rolleyes:

And come to think of it, I prefer female vocals as a whole in winter.

Mr. Gepetto
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Spring:
The Offspring -Ixnay on the Hombre

Summer:
blink-182 -s/t
Less Than Jake -Losing Streak
Less Than Jake -In With the Out Crowd
Streetlight Manifesto -Everything Goes Numb
Wolfmother -s/t

Autumn:
Less Than Jake -Anthem
Less Than Jake -Hello Rockview
Streetlight/Catch -Keasbey Nights
Reel Big Fish -Turn the Radio Off

Winter:
The Aquabats! -Charge!
Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution -A Call to the Arms
Less Than Jake -B is for B-sides
Less Than Jake -Boarders and Boundries
Rancid -And Out Come the Wolves

for whatever reason LTJ albums are really remind me of seasons. Idk.
These are mainly just albums that I've listend to very heavily within that past few years.

Tired_Of_You
11-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Only 1/4 of the year each:rolleyes:

You know that joke about the 4 seasons of Quebec (but for 46464 other places as well)... almost winter, winter, still winter and construction.

But I actually wrote that because I couldn't find any songs or albums for these seasons. Or actually I just found two songs : Les Cowboys Fringants - Toune D'Automne. It's in the song name. How did I forget it? And L'hiver Approche by the same band.

jacknife737
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Summer
The Offspring - Americana

Fall
Green Day - Warning

Winter
Mighty Mighity Bosstones - Live From The Middle East

Spring
Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning

Jakebert
11-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't think any albums specifically remind me of a certain season, but there are albums/bands that I tend to listen to more during certain seasons than others. The last two Sunny Day Real Estate Albums and Radiohead I tend to listen to more in the winter, while I tend to listen to relatively simplistic upbeat stuff like Dookie (shut up) or the first Weezer album when it first starts to get warm again in the spring.

It's not really that they remind me of the season in how they sound as much as they remind me of it because of certain memories. "Stay What You Are", for example, reminds me of a very specific summer while "Bleed Like Me" reminds me of a very specific spring.

Some of those are just in that category because of their sound, though. "Green", "UP", and "Reveal" are all intentionally made to sound like the seasons that they represent to me, and since R.E.M. is a very talented band, it worked.

Sham
11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Whenever I listen to American Idiot, I always get the winter/Christmas vibe. I guess that's when I actively listened to it and when it came out. It sounds like it, too.

Mr. Gepetto
11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Whenever I listen to American Idiot, I always get the winter/Christmas vibe. I guess that's when I actively listened to it and when it came out.

This is what most my list is based off of. It's like a buy an album and listen to it heavily for a while and after I'm done listening to it and nothing else I basically just associate it with whatever time of year it is.

Sham
11-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I listened to Everything Goes Numb a shit load over my summer break, so I guess I would consider that a "summer" album for me, too.

0r4ng3
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
This isn't exactly seasonal, but of the two Chiodos albums, I associate All's Well That Ends Well with daytime, and Bone Palace Ballet with night. That's probably because the former CD is white and the latter CD is black, but I think the way each album sounds contributes to the association, too.

Also, Alexisonfire's Crisis reminds me of winter, because the title track is about a blizzard.

Edit: Billy Talent II is definitely a Fall album, but the self-titled remains seasonless.

Jakebert
11-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I still associate Nada Surf's "The Weight is a Gift" with getting my wisdom teeth out.

Great memory.

WebDudette
11-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Upon entering this thread my first though was that Everything Went Numb reminds me of Summer. I'll come back in a bit and do more.

StayInTheHouseCarl
11-27-2007, 06:09 PM
i dont know if this really fits... but i also anticipate late November, cuz thats when i start busting out the Vandals Xmas album again

XYlophonetreeZ
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
My two summer albums are Reveal by R.E.M. and By the Way by RHCP. Other than that I guess I don't do much seasonal association. I associate albums with all kinds of other environments though. Reveal is more of a temperate, suburban summer album, whereas By the Way reminds me of palm trees and clear water because I listened to it a lot in Fort Lauderdale back when it came out.

Post-rock like Telefon Tel Aviv and The Mercury Program is my night driving music. The acoustic disc of In Your Honor is the album for really really clear beautiful nights. Fables of the Reconstruction is my album for peaceful, rural atmospheres. And Ixnay on the Hombre is my freedom album. I think I must have good memories of blasting it on the last day of school or something because I always associate it with tremendous, awesome relief.

T-6005
11-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Sugarcult - Start Static was my first big obsessive summer album.

Dexter_Kyle
11-28-2007, 02:01 PM
This is what most my list is based off of. It's like a buy an album and listen to it heavily for a while and after I'm done listening to it and nothing else I basically just associate it with whatever time of year it is.

Same for me.
Mmm...Spring albums:
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Green Day - Warning
Bad Religion - No Control
Bad Religion - Against the Grain
Radiohead - Kid A

Fall:
The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Led Zeppelin II

Winter: