PDA

View Full Version : The Official Catch 22 Thread

Mr. Gepetto
11-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I was very suprised to find no actual thread about this band, so I made one!
Well I'm quite aware most people know them but it seems the number of people who actually listen to them is low. Sure, most of you know Keasbey, they maintained to be a pretty solid band even after some big line-up changes. I mean I personally love "Alone in a Crowd" and "Dinosaur Sounds." It's like, "Oh Kalnoky left so I don't like them anymore." They're still a great band, if you like ska or Streetlight check 'em out.

Apathy
11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I disagree. No Kalnoky means no talent in most cases. This is one of them.

To be fair, I haven't really given them a chance. I've heard one song (The Spark) and it's alright. But I don't really have a desire to listen to anything else.

Sham
11-30-2007, 09:15 PM
No Kalnoky means no talent in most cases.

Wow. I don't know what to say.

Apathy
11-30-2007, 09:39 PM
After listening to the Spark again I can conclude that it is much better than I remembered. But I don't think I'd buy an album or anything.

Wow. I don't know what to say.
Then you probably shouldn't have posted.

Mr. Gepetto
11-30-2007, 09:39 PM
This is basically the purpose of the thread. It was quite evident to me that nobody really cared about this band after Kalnoky left. Sure not all of their song are amazing but with all the third wave ska out there I would rank them quite high. I do understand where you're coming from, and I used to be like "Wow, why do they still call themselves Catch 22?" I think had they taken a new name along with the new line up the band would've made more sense. I'm not going to lie, Keasbey is bye far the best album Catch has ever released but their other albums are still great and I just wanted to point this out to ska fans here.

coke_a_holic
12-01-2007, 11:49 AM
I didn't like Alone In A Crowd. I only like ska where either Tomas Kalnoky or Jeff Rosenstock are the ones writing the music. It gets really annoying because I guess being a Streetlight fan means I'm supposed to be a ska fan. Ntrly.

0r4ng3
12-01-2007, 11:56 AM
That's not necessarily true. I have a friend who's basically a metalhead, but he's also a big fan of Streetlight Manifesto.

coke_a_holic
12-01-2007, 12:15 PM
The point is: ska - kalnoky = suck and ska - jro = suck.

Mr. Gepetto
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, I was trying to broaden some horizens. I agree that Streetlight is the best ska band, but there's a million others that are up there with them. I was going to make an RBF thread with the same "I don't understand why people don't like them" theme. But there's not much point in doing that now.

nieh
12-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I heard a few songs by them sometime after Kalnoky left and thought it was alright but blended in too much with all the other ska bands out there to be worth paying attention to.

I love Reel Big Fish, even though I really didn't like their last album.

Apathy
12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey hey hey now. My horizons are plenty broad in terms of ska. To be perfectly honest Streetlight Manifesto isn't even a "ska" band in many respects. They don't consider themselves one really.

They're just better than lots of them.

Mr. Gepetto
12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
To be perfectly honest Streetlight Manifesto isn't even a "ska" band in many respects. They don't consider themselves one really.

Yeah, I definatley know where you're coming from but what other genre(s) do they fall into? I mean sure they're not a ska band in many respects, but they are in many other respects.

coke_a_holic
12-01-2007, 09:06 PM
They have horns. Therefore they = ska.

Not.

Sham
12-01-2007, 09:25 PM
A better question: who gives a shit?

Apathy
12-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I definatley know where you're coming from but what other genre(s) do they fall into? I mean sure they're not a ska band in many respects, but they are in many other respects.

I can't find this interview I'm looking for. It's with Tomas saying that everyone counts them as a ska band, and they don't really consider themselves one, because that's not what they're trying to do. They're so engulfed in ska culture and all the ska fans love them but they didn't set out to be a ska band. He said something like "We don't sound like Westbound Train. We're not Ska."

But they do share a lot of fans, including myself, so he's grateful I guess.

A better question: who gives a shit?

Appearantly a lot of people, why are you so upset?

Mr. Gepetto
12-02-2007, 08:39 AM
It's with Tomas saying that everyone counts them as a ska band, and they don't really consider themselves one, because that's not what they're trying to do. They're so engulfed in ska culture and all the ska fans love them but they didn't set out to be a ska band.

Well I guess this is what is confusing me so. I understand that their not a ska band per se, but I guess being a ska fan long before Streetlight made me not recognize a lot of their differences from straight-up ska bands, I was like "This new ska band is totally awsome!" and those differences are what makes me love them so.