PDA

View Full Version : Worst/Most Disappointing of the Year.

Jakebert
12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I know negative threads are generally frowned upon here, especially when I do them because I have a tendancy to be kind of snobby about music, but I figure this is a good counterpart to the other thread.

Most disappointing:
Rilo Kiley- Under the Blacklight.

I love Rilo Kiley, and I really wanted this album to be good, even though "Take Offs and Landings" is still my favorite album of theirs and easily the high point of their career, and they've been getting a little more generic with every album. This one clearly pushes it over the edge. A few songs on it are alright. I do really love "Silver Lining", and "Breakin' Up" is fun, even if not great. But as a whole, it's almost unlistenable. "Dejalo" is quite possibly the most embarassing song of their career.

It's not that I don't give them credit for experimenting, but experiments can fail, and this one did.

JohnnyNemesis
12-01-2007, 02:25 PM
The correct answer for me is 50 Cent's "Curtis".

Same old boring tired bullshit, except this time he doesn't even have hot beats to back it up. It's not like "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" was all that mindblowing, but he had surprisingly good insights and interesting things to go with the amazing beats all over. "The Massacre" was weak, but still had at least 6 or 7 VERY good songs. "Curtis" has one great song, one average song, and the rest is trash.

The whole album is full of weak ass loops, no real innovation with his flows and not even any tweaks, barely any moods on the album, and for fuck's sake if you're going to name a RAP ALBUM after your FIRST NAME, shouldn't you be at least a little introspective, personal, and creatively autobiographical with your shit?!

0r4ng3
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
For me, it's The Fall of Troy's Manipulator. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but it's crap compared to Doppelganger. I can't think of a specific reason why Manipulator is not as good, but it definitely feels inferior to their last album.

Runner up is Sum 41's Underclass Hero, even if it is my second favorite album by them (behind Does This Look Infected?). Half of the songs are boring, and whatever similar words I can't think of right now.

Scythe Death
12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Avenged Sevenfold really disappointed me with their new self-titled album. It was a complete sell-out. Their new music is simply uninspired and incredibly cheesy. They even play country, Timb Burton-esque song, a j-rock-esque song, and they use a faggy voice distortion like pop-artists do in one of their songs.

Other than that, the album was decent.

Jakebert
12-01-2007, 02:36 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Ted Leo's newest album is kind of a disappointment. It's not a bad album like the Rilo Kiley one, but when you compare it to his older stuff, it's just really weak overall. He's not adding anything new to his music, and you can tell he's capable of much more than he's giving us.

Which, kind of off topic, is something that I'm afraid could happen to Sufjan Stevens now. With an album as beautiful as Illinois, I'm afraid he might start repeating himself and losing sight of the fact that the reason he's so loved is because of how much he progresses as a musician with each album. I know this was off-topic, but I need to get my fears out.

One to the right
12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
The correct answer for me is 50 Cent's "Curtis".

Same old boring tired bullshit, except this time he doesn't even have hot beats to back it up. It's not like "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" was all that mindblowing, but he had surprisingly good insights and interesting things to go with the amazing beats all over. "The Massacre" was weak, but still had at least 6 or 7 VERY good songs. "Curtis" has one great song, one average song, and the rest is trash.

The whole album is full of weak ass loops, no real innovation with his flows and not even any tweaks, barely any moods on the album, and for fuck's sake if you're going to name a RAP ALBUM after your FIRST NAME, shouldn't you be at least a little introspective, personal, and creatively autobiographical with your shit?!

Out of curiousity what was the great track on the new album, Im a fan of 50 but when I downloaded a few songs from the new album I found out they sucked.

Stranger With Candy
12-01-2007, 02:51 PM
As mutch as i hate to admit it, Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace was the most disappointing album for me this year. The only songs i relly enjoyd was The Pretender, Let It Die and Long Road to Ruin.

Sham
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
For me, it is Somewhere in the Between by Streetlight Manifesto. Everything Goes Numb is one of my favorite albums ever, and since everyone was praising this, I thought it would be good. It wasn't. It's incredibly boring to me, and it is not interesting in the least. I never understood why everyone likes it so much. I like Forty Days and We Will Fall Together, but I guess that's it.

nieh
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Reel Big Fish - Monkeys for Nothing and Chimps for Free
Ted Leo - Whatever that album was called. I don't remember caring about a single song on it.
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice. I only really like about 5 songs. I think it's a little better than Menos El Oso because that had one of my least favorite things in music: shitty pieces thrown in the middle of otherwise good songs and this one doesn't suffer from that. Even though I think this one is a slight step back up, the fact that they've released two 'meh' albums for me in a row has kind of dropped them from my fanboy list.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-01-2007, 03:19 PM
As mutch as i hate to admit it, Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace was the most disappointing album for me this year. The only songs i relly enjoyd was The Pretender, Let It Die and Long Road to Ruin.
That wasn't a great album, but it did grow on me a bit. I think it's better than One by One or the electric disc of In Your Honor. So even though it was by no means their best, I still wouldn't call it a disappointment since I was actually kind of expecting it to suck since they've been going downhill for a while.

coke_a_holic
12-01-2007, 03:26 PM
The Fall of Troy - Manipulator was great for about a week. Then I realized how awful it was. Gross. Doppelganger still rips, though.

Big D and the Kids Table - Strictly Rude was fantastic for a few weeks, then it became mediocre and repetitive. Then I realized how awful ska was. Gross.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Living With The Living. It's a good thing I downloaded it along with Hearts Of Oak, because if I hadn't, I would've stopped listening to Ted Leo altogether.

Reel Big Fish - Monkeys For Nothing, Chimps For Free was just bad. I expected better from a band who had just cast off the chains of a major label and was excited to make music again. It sounded forced, weak, and immature. No thanks.

Tiger Army - IV: Music From Regions Beyond. I bought this cd, listened to it once, and have since forgotten about it until right now. Meh.

As awesome as many albums were, these could have been better.

Stranger With Candy
12-01-2007, 03:33 PM
That wasn't a great album, but it did grow on me a bit. I think it's better than One by One or the electric disc of In Your Honor. So even though it was by no means their best, I still wouldn't call it a disappointment since I was actually kind of expecting it to suck since they've been going downhill for a while.

After i heard that Gil Norton was gonna produce the album i relly got my hopes up. The Colour and the Shape is my favorite Foo Fighters album so i thought they might would go back to that cind of style. So thats relly what desepointed me the most.

nieh
12-01-2007, 03:36 PM
There's always been a couple tracks on RBF albums that I didn't like so much compared to others, but I don't think I ever actively disliked any of their songs until Monkeys for Nothing, and I was seriously annoyed by like half the album.

BREAK
12-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Challengers. Talk about bringin the yaaaaawwwwwnzzzZZZzzzZZzzZZZZzzZZzz

XzZXZXZXZZZZZXZ

It's a good sleepytime album, though. My award for worst of year overall goes to Minutes to Midnight.

JohnnyNemesis
12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Out of curiousity what was the great track on the new album, Im a fan of 50 but when I downloaded a few songs from the new album I found out they sucked.

I really enjoyed "I Get Money", even though I kind of hated it at first. It definitely grew on me, and the way he flows with the beat is good stuff. The other one I kinda like is "Man Down".

"I'll Still Kill" is contrived bullshit.

Endymion
12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
the locust - new erections
xbxrx - wars

both made me :( mightily.

Rag Doll
12-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Ted Leo - Whatever that album was called. I don't remember caring about a single song on it.

agree so much on this. buh.

All About Eve
12-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Sonata Arctica - Unia

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

I haven't listened to either one enough to decide if they're legitimately bad/boring, but I haven't cared enough to relisten to either one yet.

Forza
12-02-2007, 03:57 AM
The new Linkin Park album was incredibly shit, wasn't it? Weird no-one mentioned it already. I mean, their first 2 albums were fairly okay but this one was just so so boring. 2 pretty good songs and the rest total shit.

Autonomist
12-02-2007, 04:12 AM
The only albums I thought were shit were the ones I expected to be, eg The Stooges and Bad Brains. I'd say Against Me's album was pretty disappointing though, and definitely didn't live up to the hype around here.

Come out and smash'em up!
12-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Arch Enemy - Rise of the tyrant

the songs in the album are just too complicated to realize well and the mixing of the vocals comparing to other instruments is just bad, (vocals have no true meaning on this album) only one great song "blood on your hands".

H1T_That
12-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Avenged Sevenfold
The Fall Of Troy
Sum 41
Linkin Park

All rather dissapointing albums.

Autonomist
12-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Well they're all pretty disappointing bands.

H1T_That
12-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Well they're all pretty disappointing bands.

Apart from The Fall Of Troy, i agree.

Although at some point in their discographies i've enjoyed the other bands.

wheelchairman
12-02-2007, 07:21 AM
I really like Mando Diao. And there new album has a lot of great songs on it. Probably some of their best.

Except if you take away the 7 minute instrumental track, the album is half an hour long. wtf? IT SUCKS.

nameless
12-02-2007, 04:12 PM
well its not an album release i was dissapointed with, it was a gig instead! AFIs last album wasnt that good but i was shocked to see how much their live show had deteriorated as well! maybe i just saw them on an off night!

ruroken
12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins - Zeigeist (not that I hate it)
Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight (they should have released most of this under another name and put "Bleed It Out" on an LP Underground disc or on a promo like "It's Going Down" was)

BREAK
12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
My real biggest disappointment this year was USSA's The Spoils. Why didn't anyone tell me a band featuring the guitarist from The Jesus Lizard/Tomahawk and the bassist from Ministry/Revolting Cocks could suck so bad?

bouncingcoles
12-03-2007, 09:27 PM
SUM 41-underclass hero. (they should have named this album "please like us again" its bitter pop crap and i find it pathetic they even released it. its basically an album for little girls. all killer no filler was poppy too but it atleast had the former guitar player who added interesting guitar parts. this album is a desperate attempt to be popular again. shame shame i expected more.

AVENGED SEVENFOLD -self titled (holy shit, what the fuck are they doing? they had a great thing going for a while. Dont get me wrong, i really dig when bands try new things. But this album is just retarted. avenged sevenfold was always cheesy but for this album the cheese factor was off the scale. not to mention the album just sucks)

AGAINST ME - new wave (i have been an against me fan for many years and since i heard they joined a major label i knew they would go downhill. the album has about 4 or maye 5 songs worth listening to but the rest is very weak. although i knew i wouldnt like it much, i know against me are capable of much much more).

All About Eve
12-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Runner up is Sum 41's Underclass Hero, even if it is my second favorite album by them (behind Does This Look Infected?). Half of the songs are boring, and whatever similar words I can't think of right now.
I don't see why everyone is so disappointed. Since they lost what's his name, it's obviously going to lose some creativity, as I got the feeling he was the most "musically adventurous" in the group, not to mention added his own metal feel to stuff. It was great considering that; it surprised me.

Challengers. Talk about bringin the yaaaaawwwwwnzzzZZZzzzZZzzZZZZzzZZzz

Fuck you. But yeah, for as mellow as it is, Neko Case needed to be on more vocals than the dude.

0r4ng3
12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I guess you're right. It's not exactly disappointing because I wasn't expecting a masterpiece anyway.