PDA

View Full Version : Offspring + Brett Gurewitz feud

Talman
01-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Does everyone know the real story to the whole offspring "selling out" issue? Some of you will say things like "who gives a fuck if they sold?" That's not the point here atall, i just think people should know the real story as to what happened between offspring and Brett Gurewitz/Epitaph.

After Smash was released Major labels were swooping in to take Offspring under their wings'. However after talks with Brett the offspring decided they wanted to stay on Epitaph. So everything was going fine, but what the guys never realised is that Brett was already making plans to sell them off to major labels behind their back. At another meeting with Brett, offspring told him they didn't want to leave the label, but Gurewitz wasn't really giving a fuck since he'd make millions by releasing offspring to Columbia.

That's basically the just to the whole story. He'll be kicking himself now after losing out on 20 million record sales. What annoys me about people saying offspring sold out, is that they were basically given no choice about staying with Epitaph and they didn't choose to leave.
________
White Girls Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/white-girls/)

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2005, 05:38 PM
This is old news, but it's good that you posted it, because many people need to know the truth.

It's stupid that Gurewitz said that, even after Bad Religion signed to Atlantic Records.

Unnatural Disaster
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
The Offspring should release stuff on Nitro records....

noodlesdec25
01-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Brett is a fucker.....he is the real sellout.....i hate epitaph, now we know the ¨best punk label¨ is in for the bucks not for the bands........Well done dude its good that people know the truth again :)

Talman
01-04-2005, 06:08 PM
The Offspring should release stuff on Nitro records....
The offspring re-released their self titled album on Nitro.
________
Blowjob vids (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/13/blowjob/videos/1)

Unnatural Disaster
01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
I know that, I meant that they should release new stuff on Nitro

Talman
01-05-2005, 05:50 AM
They're under conract to Columbia, so releasing new material on Nitro kinda breaches the contract.
________
BBW live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/bbw/)

RonWelty
01-05-2005, 10:20 AM
They're under conract to Columbia, so releasing new material on Nitro kinda breaches the contract.
i think that the contract ended with splinter ...we don ´t know if they had renewed ... but maybe yes

Tired_Of_You
01-05-2005, 11:06 AM
No, it ends with the next CD.

Venezuelan_Nightmare
01-05-2005, 03:34 PM
No, it ends with the next CD.
really?...
(fucking 10 characters xD)

Tired_Of_You
01-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, really. I was serious.

ATOM_01
01-05-2005, 11:20 PM
I have a lot less respect for Bad Religion knowing that...oh well Gurewitz can be a sellout doesn't stop the band from making good music. I thought the band where releasing a greatest hits because their contract with Coloumbia had expired in the first place.

nameless
01-06-2005, 03:56 PM
although i heard they fell out, id never heard that version of events!

leo3375
01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
The other part of it was that Mr. Brett was going through a rather nasty divorce. Since he and the soon-to-be-ex didn't have a pre-nup she was going to get half the company. Knowing he would be unable to buy back the part she stood to get, Mr. Brett decided to sel at least part of the company to a major label.

Another aspect was a very restrictive contract Mr. Brett offered the Offspring. It wouldn't allow them to choose album art, t-shirt art, and wouldn't allow Ron to play in his side project at the time. It also would allow Mr. Brett to use their songs however he pleased. The real kicker was a life-insurance policy. It basically stated that if Dexter died an unfortunate death, Mr. Brett would not lose any money as a result.

Of course, in 1998 it was revealed that Mr. Brett had been a heroin addict for 18 months in 1995–96. He went to rehab to get off the stuff and has been clean since.