PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations.

Llamas
12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Today, as I was driving back from teaching, I was listening to Vanessa Carlton's new CD, and while I was thoroughly enjoying it, I started thinking about the fact that my taste in music has really plateaued lately. For maybe the last 5 months, I have not discovered any new bands or singers. I've noticed it before recently, too, and just kind of thought, meh, I don't need to hear new stuff... I like tons of music and have nearly 100GB of music. But as a music enthusiast, it disappointed me. I started to notice that there has been so much music uploaded in the sharing thread that I haven't bothered to check out. So, here's what I wanna do.

Until I give further notice of being overwhelmed, not having time, or running out of hard drive space, I would love recommendations. I will download and listen to everything people recommend to me, so long as I don't already have it. I have a few guidelines, though. First of all, most of you probably have a good idea of where my tastes lie. If you're not sure, check out my audioscrobbler www.last.fm/user/buttersprayz I ask that you keep this in mind, though I am willing to try out music I normally wouldn't listen to. Second of all, I would totally appreciate links to uploaded material. If you link me youtube videos, or just suggest something, chances are I'll put it off and forget about it. But if you upload something for me, I am currently promising to download it and listen to it. Finally, a description of the band, the music style, etc would be great.

I realize this is a very selfish thread to be making, haha. People here seem to really enjoy sharing music, but I am also hoping that other people will benefit from this thread, maybe if they see stuff they're interested in. I thought about asking this in jakebert's thread, but I didn't want to derail it in any way... so I thought this was better.

Thanks, everyone. :)

coke_a_holic
12-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Obvious Response #1:

Bomb The Music Industry! - Get Warmer (http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/qur013/qur013.zip)

Oh, and Fake Problems. Their whole cd is available for streaming under the Listen section of their website (http://www.fakeproblems.com). It's kinda like Tiger Army meets Against Me!. It's really good.

Llamas
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Currently downloading the BTMI album... but with a streaming thing, I might not get around to listening to it. I'll try, though. Thanks. :)

JohnnyNemesis
12-06-2007, 12:03 AM
The title of this thread gets the Mirah song "Recommendation" stuck in my head. I assume you already have it, but if you don't, download it now it's really good omg so good.

ruroken
12-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Vendetta Red - Sisters of the Red Death (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FD28ZW24)
They are a bit "emo", I guess, and may require time before you love them, but its definitely worth it. It took me a really long time to realize how fucking brilliant this album is. It's about a girl named Gloria who has snakes in her hair and bird wings (or perhaps that is just a symbol of her personality).

BREAK
12-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Download yourself one of these. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1063751&postcount=958)

Llamas
12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I'll grab a spoon album later today... which one should I grab, or just random?

Ruroken, I actually have that album. I kind of do like Vendetta Red, but after a while, they all sound the same.

One to the right
12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Have you tried Swizzle Tree yet? The lead singer is Stubhy frm LBC and Shock Stars older brother and the band puts out some catchy shit.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah I saw Swizzle Tree open for LBC at the first ever Songs from a Scene show. I might upload some in the music sharing thread, though I only like about a third of their songs. "Falling Down," "Two Afraid to Be Hurt," and "Marc's Car" are all great though.

Llamas
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Nooo I haven't heard of it! I hope to see some uploads, cause I'll totally check it out. Awesome!

Apathy
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Tell me if you have Common Rider - Classics of Love.

If not, I'll upload.

Llamas
12-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I do not. :)

JohnnyNemesis
12-06-2007, 09:45 PM
U IGNOR ME Y U DO TAHT BABy?

Llamas
12-06-2007, 09:48 PM
You didn't provide a link to upload it. Duhz.

JohnnyNemesis
12-06-2007, 09:53 PM
A link to "upload" it?

Lolz STUPID BUT I LUB U LUVVV 4u.

You didn't tell me whether you had it or anything though. Slutz.

So here, song:

Mirah - Recommendation (http://download.yousendit.com/AA2D53896A445743)

ok luv u

stupd fagot

Llamas
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
EYE HEART YEW JOHNNYNEMESIS! THANX2U4eva! let's make babiez.

edit: ooh I likes it.

ruroken
12-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Ruroken, I actually have that album. I kind of do like Vendetta Red, but after a while, they all sound the same.
No... fucking... way. Do you have Sirens Sister's "Echoes From the Ocean Floor"? They're Vendetta Red minus one person (fuck if I can remember which one it is, though), and its the romance album Zach was talking about doing after Sisters of the Red Death. Their sound is vastly different from Vendetta Red in most, if not all, of their songs and are just as, if not more, beautiful.

As for Vendetta Red songs all sounding the same, I think they did a great job remedying this on Sisters of the Red Death (if you listen to the album as a whole). The first two songs sound the same, then it kind of goes back and forth between the harder sound of "Destiny" and softer sound of "A Dark Heart Silhouette". Although some songs were intentionally made to sound like others on the album (such as "Run" and the chorus of "In Lieu of Dead Brides". But then again, I found all their songs to sound the same at first, because they really do, and over time began to notice and embrace the differences. Most notibly in Zach's morbidly beautiful lyrics.

Lastly, do you have "Between the Never and the Now" and/or "Cut Your Noose EP"? These two are essential. They help break up the monotony.

One to the right
12-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah I saw Swizzle Tree open for LBC at the first ever Songs from a Scene show. I might upload some in the music sharing thread, though I only like about a third of their songs. "Falling Down," "Two Afraid to Be Hurt," and "Marc's Car" are all great though.

Are you near the Chicago area still? Are you going to songs from a scene this year?

Llama- I'll post a few of their songs in a bit.

Superdope
12-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Ilovellamas, I posted this in another thread, but it expired.
It's rock but pretty hard to categorize, but it's got a distinct groove to it.
Definitely recommendable. Here you go :)
Kashmir - Cruzential http://www.sendspace.com/file/xnup3y

Llamas
12-08-2007, 01:44 AM
No... fucking... way. Do you have Sirens Sister's "Echoes From the Ocean Floor"? They're Vendetta Red minus one person (fuck if I can remember which one it is, though), and its the romance album Zach was talking about doing after Sisters of the Red Death. Their sound is vastly different from Vendetta Red in most, if not all, of their songs and are just as, if not more, beautiful.
I will consider checking out Sirens Sister, if I get around to it. I'm not a huge enough fan of Vendetta Red to promise anything, though.

And Between the Never and the Now I do have... I like it more than Sisters of the Red Death.

Ilovellamas, I posted this in another thread, but it expired.
It's rock but pretty hard to categorize, but it's got a distinct groove to it.
Definitely recommendable. Here you go :)
Kashmir - Cruzential http://www.sendspace.com/file/xnup3y
Thanks!! Downloading. :)

Superdope
12-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks!! Downloading. :)

No problem.
Cruzential is one of their heavier outings, though.
Zitilites (pronounced city lights) however is more mellow
I'll upload it for you, to show the range of these guys... blows my mind

Kashmir - Zitilites
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n5dqq4

coke_a_holic
12-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Rick: I was supposed to go see Mirah a few months ago, but I ended up being unable to go. My friends who did go said that, apparently, she was a bitch on stage and yelled at people who were talking during her set. wtf. She's still pretty great, though. Musically, anyway.

wheelchairman
12-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Here are 4 songs by Sort Sol. My favorites being Rhinestone and Holler High. (really really good songs.) Not sure if you'll like it but it's the best of the danish english speaking rock scene. (or was). (Well Mew is good but they live in England. traitors!)
http://download.yousendit.com/42190A395CB218FF (sort sol)

Kashmir is good but I find them tiring after a while.

Llamas
12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Update: I've downloaded everything in the thread so far besides the Vendetta Red album obviously, and the Sort Sol one is downloading now. Waiting to hear back about which Spoon album I should grab.

So far, I've just listened to BTMI! and the Mirah song. Liked both, the BTMI! one could grow on me, and I'm now interested in downloading more of Mirah. Any recommendations on albums?

Sunny
12-10-2007, 06:44 AM
hm. check out Feist, the Last Goodnight and Kate Nash if you haven't already... you might like them.

ps. Feist and Kate Nash are like.. indie girly music, which you seem to like (Regina Spektor wee). the Last Goodnight is sort of... somewhat generic alternative stuff, but it's rather pleasant.

also, Lily Allen!

i'd upload files for you but i'm at work, sorry!

www.myspace.com/katenashmusic
www.myspace.com/feist (check out 1 2 3 4, it's a sweet song)
www.myspace.com/thelastgoodnight
www.myspace.com/lilymusic

BREAK
12-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Waiting to hear back about which Spoon album I should grab.

I'd say to get their new one (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga), but I didn't upload it. So get Kill The Moonlight, and listen to it a lot. They're not a band you can safely write off after one listen.

ruroken
12-10-2007, 08:34 AM
I will consider checking out Sirens Sister, if I get around to it. I'm not a huge enough fan of Vendetta Red to promise anything, though.

And Between the Never and the Now I do have... I like it more than Sisters of the Red Death.

Fucking awesome. I'll up both Cut Your Noose EP and Echoes From the Ocean Floor just because I want to. Cut Your Noose EP is right before Between the Never and the Now and has three new songs as well as Por Vida. My favorite from CYN is "The White Nightmare", which is their only acoustic song. Echoes From the Ocean Floor retains the feel of Between the Never and the Now through their experimenting with changing their sound.

Apathy
12-13-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t4n059 Common Rider - Rough Redemption
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qyns7b Common Rider - Classics of Love

It's only single songs because I always seem to screw up entire albums when I try to upload them. I'm just flat out bad with computer type stuff.

But you'll get the jist of it. By the way, the lead singer was Operation Ivy's lead singer. Don't expect to hear much of anything like that though.

Llamas
12-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks! Downloading :)

I'll try to listen to everything this weekend, and maybe give some feedback.

Apathy
12-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I want my feedback.

Llamas
12-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Shit, Apathy, I just went to listen to what you sent me, and I can't find the files... so I went to re-download them, and the links don't work. :(

Sunny, can you upload any of the stuff you recommended at some point?? That stuff actually sounded pretty good. :)

About to listen to some of this stuff. For serious. Right now.

currently listen to Kashmir.

edit: listened to kashmir- cruzential (I believe it was that one). I liked it, and plan to listen to the other one. Very chill and a great listen. :)

edit: just listened to the sort sol album from per. Oh man, I really like the last song. Holler High. Very very good stuff. Is there more than just these 4 songs? I'm definitely a fan.

wheelchairman
12-25-2007, 04:28 AM
I think Superdope uploaded their greatest hits album, Circle Hits the Flame. if it's still up you better get it. It's pretty good.

Llamas
12-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Expired. :( Currently trying to download a torrent for "Glamourpuss". Here's hoping. By the way, Per, only three of the songs you uploaded for me work. Midnight Train doesn't play.

Superdope
12-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I've re-uploaded the Sort Sol album :)

Sort Sol - Circle Hits the Flame http://www.sendspace.com/file/0h2hj1

glad you liked Kashmir too ;)

Thomas
12-26-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't have time to upload their cd at the moment, but The Hanks are an incredible band. I've seen them live several times and they never cease to blow me away. Their level of musicality in their music is something you really just don't see in "pop" music today. One of these days, they will make it big. I can assure you. Go to their myspace and listen to some of their songs. The song PHX is possibly one of their best songs ever, but the cd it will be on is still being recorded, so I'm gonna have to wait longer for that one. :(

But yeah, if you only listen to that one song, check out their myspace. www.myspace.com/thehanks

EDIT: So I tried uploading it, but it said it would take just under 2 hours, so I gave up. If you can find me a site that doesn't take forever to upload, I'll gladly share it. But I'm not spending that much time on it.

I highly suggest you buy their cd, "Your New Attraction", if you ever get the chance, though. It's top notch stuff.

Superdope
01-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Kashmir - No Balance Palace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ki7eyv

it's actually very good. I acquired it myself the other day.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for both albums, Superdope :) I did acquire Glamourpuss from Sort Sol, and I'm a fan. Looking forward to hearing the greatest hits.

And Kashmir I think needs time to grow on me. But I like it. I'll grab this third album here and put it on my Zune. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. :)

killer_queen
01-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Pink Martini's Hey Eugene. I know that our tastes in music are really different but give it a chance. I can't upload it because I don't have the whole album on my computer but I might upload some of the songs if you want.