PDA

View Full Version : favorite video game music

ruroken
12-10-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm lazy, so I'm not going in-depth.

I luvz Yasunori Mitsuda. His work with Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross are all fucking brilliant and perfect. My favorite songs of his are "The Treasure Which Cannot Be Stolen" and "June Mermaid" (both of which are from Xenogears).

I also luvz Nobuo Uematsu, although his only work that I listen to often is Final Fantasy VII. I think that was his peak.

Junya Nakano's work with Threads of Fate is fucking amazing. I wish he'd get more recognition for this (the only thing he's done since then is some songs for FFX).

and here's a list of games with great music that I don't know or too lazy to state the composers for;

Super Mario 64 (okay, I know Koji Kondo...)
Zelda: Wind Waker
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Mega Man 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Shin Megami Tensei
Star Ocean
The Legend of Dragoon
Mr. Driller
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear)
Streets of Rage 2
Metroid
Metroid Prime
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

wheelchairman
12-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Duke Nukem 3d

0r4ng3
12-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Most of the stuff from F-Zero X.

Also there was a level from Sonic Adventure 2 with music that I liked. I can't remember if it was Green Forest or White Jungle.

Me and my friends, for reasons unknown, like the music from the Dream Land 64 stage of Super Smash Bros.

JohnnyNemesis
12-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm convinced that I'm the world's biggest video game music fan mostly because I'm the most pathetic. I'd been making my own mixtapes by connecting my NES and SNES to my stereo when I was a kid and actually recording the music that way. I still have about 20 volumes of music on cassette.

I fucking hate how everyone loves Final Fantasy music so much. Drives me nuts. Though some of the stuff in the SNES games is orgasmic: Dancing Calbrena theme, for example.

As a rule, I only listen to 8-bit and 16-bit video game music; that's the only stuff that sounds good to me, but that's 'cause I'm froma different generation and those tunes actually mean something to me.

The best best best best best video game music by far is from the entire Mega Man series. As far as companies go, I think American Technos made the best music ever: River City Ransom. Super Dodge Ball, Super Spike V'Ball, and Double Dragon 2...fuck yes fuck fuck fuck yes.

Golden Sun
Mega Man 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear)

These are all fuckin' amazing. You should check out Mega Man 3 and 4 though; especially 3. The best music ever. Wordtris has good tunes too. The NES Ninja Gaiden would blow your fuckin' mind, it's so good. And so would Castlevania 1 and 2 for NES. And F-Zero on the SNES is cool. Chrono Trigger has, of course, phenomenal tunes.

I have a few gigabytes worth of Video Game Music on my comp. I should upload some sometime.

Tijs
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Duke Nukem 3d
a.k.a. my ringtone. Agreed.

mrconeman
12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I fucking hate how everyone loves Final Fantasy music so much.
Srew you Rickynemesissy! :( :mad:

I like alot of game soundtracks, but I've only ever downloaded entire soundtracks to a very select few games that have like, mind blowing musics.

Final Fantasy VII & VIII easily have the best of Nobuo Uematsu's work, I have both original soundtracks, a couple orchestrated versions of things from those, and the two piano albums. I'm playing (extremely slowly) through Chrono Trigger, and I'm really digging this Mitsuda fella's music.
I fucking <3333 the music in Street Fighter, because I played it constantly as a kid (Okay, I still do). Zelda: A Link to the Past, had some nice tunes.

Miki Higashino is fuckin' brilliant too, she done all the music in Suikoden I and II, which both had amazingly brilliant soundtracks.

Steve Henifin done some excellent work on the Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen soundtrack, very basic, but sets a perfect atmosphere for the game. Kurt Harland aswel for LoK: Soul Reaver.

ohshi. I just googled to find out who done the Shadow Hearts soundtrack, it was the same guy that done Chrono Trigger, I really like the music in Shadow Hearts.

I also think, no matter how basic and cheery it sounds, the music in Super Mario World borders on fucking genius. It's a perfect soundtrack.

Honorable mention to F-Zero because, holy fucking shit, Big Blue. I love me some SNES music, because I grew up on it. Metriod, Castlevania, Megaman, all the good stuff.

BREAK
12-10-2007, 10:50 AM
The NES Ninja Gaiden would blow your fuckin' mind, it's so good.

Yes. In particular the train tracks level (4-2).

I have a few gigabytes worth of Video Game Music on my comp. I should upload some sometime.

Do so.

I could listen to the music from these games all day:

NES:
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!
Double Dragon
Skate or Die

GB:
Flappy Special
Snoopy's Magic Show
Super Mario Land

Arcade/SNES:
Final Fight (mostly just the subway section of level 2)

T-6005
12-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Topgear for the SNES is my favorite video game music. That's the game music I grew up on. It's awesome.

I enjoy the music for the Final Fantasy games that I've played, but not enough to really comment on them - mostly I feel that if video game music complements things well then it's worth listening to.

I also love the Mystic Cave theme from Sonic 2.

mrconeman
12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
I wanna mention that the Metal Gear series has awesome music. But alot of it is kind of, tension music, that you could never just listen to.
However the main theme, the vocal theme from MGS3 and "The Best is Yet To Come" from the end of MGS1 are just great.

Superdope
12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
As much as I love classic 8-bit music (Contra, anyone?) my definite favorite, which should also be your favorite, is anything from
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

SaiKYoU
12-10-2007, 11:10 AM
crash bandicoot main theme...

for sure...

Stranger With Candy
12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Most of the Sonic games.
Most of the Star Fox games.
Super Mario 64 and Galaxy.
Metal Gear Solid.
Ninja Gaiden.
Lethal Weapon on SNES.
LoZ: Ocarina of Time.
And the Bubble Bobble theme.

ruroken
12-10-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm convinced that I'm the world's biggest video game music fan

As a rule, I only listen to 8-bit and 16-bit video game music; that's the only stuff that sounds good to me

Yeah, you certainly are the biggest video game music fan!
lol @ you eating your words in the same post you said them in

JohnnyNemesis
12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes. In particular the train tracks level (4-2).

Holy oh god fucking yes.

Oh, and ruroken, I aint eat nothin' there. I'm the truth. I kill you scum!

JohnnyNemesis
12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
ps. For BREAK and others, here's some of the best shit you'll ever hear.

If you like it, I'll upload more 8-bit goodness.

Better Than You (https://vspace.vassar.edu/rialmonte/RandomVideoGameCollection.zip?uniq=k81uml)

Sham
12-10-2007, 01:02 PM

The greatest game I have ever played, in all compontents. The music is mind-blowing.

acaN
12-10-2007, 01:14 PM
SEGA Genesis'/SNES' Rock'&'Roll Racing have the best soundtrack ever

Mr. Gepetto
12-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Nes/Snes:
Earthbound (Mother)
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros. (give in)
Super Mario Land

Gameboy:
Pokemon!

N64:
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Occorina of Time
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Wave Race 64

of course all Sonic games, Sonic R especially.

JohnnyNemesis
12-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Someone check out the collection I posted. This includes you, BREAK. Czech it ow.

Autonomist
12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Age of Empires.

Come out and smash'em up!
12-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Tony hawk proskater 2
Pokemon Blue!
World cup football for gameboy or NES

German Andres
12-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I think the Tony Hawk`s Pro Skaters series have the best soundtrack ever. Oh, I`m another one one who loves the Final Fantasy music too.

Sham
12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Anybody who said Tony Hawk deserves to be shot. It's not video game music.

0r4ng3
12-11-2007, 01:10 PM
That's why I avoided saying Guitar Hero/Rock Band, good as the music may be.

I also liked the music for Bomberman Hero. It was very trippy and melodic, if I'm thinking of the right game.

bd007h
12-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Megamans 1-6 take the cake

Battletoads had good music as well.

coke_a_holic
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
The soundtrack to Bully is fucking win. I downloaded it, it's possibly the best walking/hijinx music ever. Lots of glockenspiels, lots of funky bass lines, and plenty of joy.

Mr. Gepetto
12-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Ah, one I forgot. I remember really digging the music in Bully.

Also I remember loving the music in Chameleon Twist for the N64.

Stranger With Candy
12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Someone check out the collection I posted. This includes you, BREAK. Czech it ow.

Downloading it now. It better be good caus its taking forever.

EDIT: NINJA GAIDEN!!! I love you!

RODNEYMULLEN
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
the doom 3 song is fucking awsome, listen to it, you can download it on ares and other shit.

JohnnyNemesis
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Downloading it now. It better be good caus its taking forever.

EDIT: NINJA GAIDEN!!! I love you!

*smiles like a proud parent*

Go now, and be happy!

ps. I also have the NES Ninja Gaiden 2 soundtrack...

BREAK
12-11-2007, 06:19 PM
ps. I also have the NES Ninja Gaiden 2 soundtrack...

tf r u doing??? Up that shit, b.

Oh and thx for the first bunch of games music, while we're at it.

P.S. Would you happen to have the first Double Dragon?

JohnnyNemesis
12-11-2007, 07:52 PM
No, but I do have Double Dragon 3, which I'll include here along with Ninja Gaiden 2 and a few others. Fucking download it, everyone! And let me know what you think.

Video Game Collection Part 2 (https://vspace.vassar.edu/rialmonte/RandomVideoGameCollection2.zip?uniq=dqqbek)

Homer
12-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Ahem...

Final Fantasy III (VI, if you're cool)
Battle Toads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team
Chrono Trigger
Earthworm Jim (I can't believe no one has said this yet. Tallarico = win)

I've also being playing all of the NES Mega Man games just recently, and yes, the music's good.

What else...?

I know I'm missing something, but I can't put my finger on it.

coke_a_holic
12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Rick!

I was recently asked to write and record music for a game my friend is helping design for his Game Design/Programming class, so I was about to look in this thread for some recommendations for inspiration.

The game is about a guy who shoots lasers out of a gun at zombies. I was ecstatic to help out in any way possible.

Stranger With Candy
12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
No, but I do have Double Dragon 3, which I'll include here along with Ninja Gaiden 2 and a few others. Fucking download it, everyone! And let me know what you think.

Video Game Collection Part 2 (https://vspace.vassar.edu/rialmonte/RandomVideoGameCollection2.zip?uniq=dqqbek)

I have to download it later. Now im off to school... With Ninja Gaiden on my mp3 player!!!

hshduppsnt
12-11-2007, 11:22 PM
legend of zelda games!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNI3W8UB-s

btw my college's band did that at a half time show this year

so im inclined to actually say the tetris music at the moment.
It was never very good but always quite addictive

T-6005
12-12-2007, 08:42 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=klQ8UTgMQCA&feature=related
This is the song that made me love video game music.

JohnnyNemesis
12-12-2007, 09:20 AM
That Top Gear SNES soundtrack is fucking legendary. I actually have the complete track on mp3 if you want it. It's by Patrick Phelan. The man is a genius.

bouncingcoles
12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Duke Nukem 3d

haha fuck ya!

Sinister
12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
The music in Oblivion is positively amazing.

Superdope
12-13-2007, 02:21 PM
I fucking love what you uploaded, Rick!
Totally in love with the Megaman and Castlevania stuff. brings me back. :)

JohnnyNemesis
12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it, buddy. This stuff is epic!

Superdope
12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I know it's not nearly enough to repay for the awesomeness of your uploads, but I have 2 songs, that I have enjoyed quite alot.
One is a remix of a Contra level, and the other, I don't know... don't think it was from a videogame, but it's sounds Amiga-ish.
Uploading now

JohnnyNemesis
12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Did you download both .zip collections I uploaded in this thread? If so, could you remind me which Mega Man games I included? I know I uploaded parts 2 and 3 for y'all, but did I include any others?

Superdope
12-13-2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lysk1x
I actually didn't realize you uploaded two.. I'll be downloading the other soon...
on the first collection, you had Megaman 3

nieh
12-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Dear Rick:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D003F87C86B9A74?artistid=976815&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=52

JohnnyNemesis
12-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Dear Rick:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D003F87C86B9A74?artistid=976815&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=52

Holy fucking oh my God.

Unfortunately, that's the same day my thesis is due... :(:mad:

nieh
12-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Surely you can just turn the thesis in sometime before 8pm.

JohnnyNemesis
12-14-2007, 06:41 PM
You don't understand. Once I finish and turn in that 75-page piece of work, I'm going to sleep for about five weeks straight.

JohnnyNemesis
12-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Thoughts on my last upload? Any requests?

Superdope
12-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I just started downloading pt. 2 of your collection, but if there ain't no music from Castlevania IV on there, then that would be awesome.
Some F-Zero wouldn't hurt either ;)

EDIT: YES! thanks for the metal gear!

ruroken
12-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Castlevania IV > Castlevania

Seriously fucking amazing music in IV.

Superdope
12-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Super Castlevania IV > Castlevania

Seriously fucking amazing music in IV.

I couldn't agree more. Even today I am amazed at the quality of this soundtrack. Back then it was even more spectacular.

JohnnyNemesis
12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Glad you like it, and I generally agree.

I have two albums that you all MUST MUST MUST MUST hear, but my school's server thingy is down. Fuck.

JohnnyNemesis
12-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Here it is!!! (http://www.sendspace.com/file/vbbvso)

Thomas
12-21-2007, 08:08 PM
The best song for a video game I've ever heard was the theme to MGS3: Snake Eater. Holy crap, I fell in love with that song. It set the mood PERFECTLY for that game. "I give my life, not for honor, but for yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu." Seriously. Wow.

As far as old school games, though, nothing will ever make me smile as much as the old SUper Mario Bros Theme song. I even printed out the sheet music so I can play it myself.

JohnnyNemesis
12-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Here it is!!! (http://www.sendspace.com/file/vbbvso)

Yeah .

Jerzidevil
01-04-2008, 02:53 PM
My favorite video game song is definitely the song from the first level of the Batman game for Sega Genesis (the adaptation of the movie with Jack Nicholson as the Joker). Some day I'm going to record my own version of it.