PDA

View Full Version : Puscifer (solo Maynard)

nieh
12-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I haven't been a fan of Tool for years and I've never really been big on APC, but I still like Maynard as a vocalist so I figured I'd check out his solo album, V is for Vagina. It turned out to actually be pretty good. In case it's not obvious by the title, it's not supposed to be "deep" or overly-serious like his other bands tend to be. The music is pretty simple in regards to structure and tends to flirt pretty closely with trip hop (though they seem to consider themselves more industrial) and is mostly focused on groove with Maynard using a few more singing styles than you typically hear from him. Here's youtubes for a couple songs:

Queen B (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0o5Q31Oac) - The opening track and first single featuring Tim Alexander from Primus on drums.
Sour Grapes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mFXlpsrbBM), also with Tim Alexander on drums (the album is split mostly between him and Gil Sharone from Dillinger Escape Plan in regards to who's drumming). I like how this one evolves more and more into a sort of soul/gospel song as it goes on.

sk8ter-hater
12-16-2007, 04:45 PM
If I didn't know Maynard's regular voice, I would absolutely love these songs. It's a bit frustrating that I'm waiting for him to sing like usual. I'll get over it though, they're wonderful.

One to the right
12-16-2007, 05:10 PM
All I can think of is Mr. Show when I here Puscifer since Maynard did a skit as "Puscifer" in the first episode.

Llamas
12-16-2007, 10:20 PM
If I didn't know Maynard's regular voice, I would absolutely love these songs. It's a bit frustrating that I'm waiting for him to sing like usual. I'll get over it though, they're wonderful.

I kind of agree... what I more think is that I really do like the music of these two songs, but it's a waste of Maynard's talent. I think he's an extremely talented singer, and a great lyricist. It's cool to see him do some other stuff, and I like the music, so I'm sure I'll get over it, but I keep yearning to hear him start singing like "normal", and feel kinda disappointed when he doesn't. But it's very interesting, and definitely not what I'd expect from my beloved Maynard. :P

re-edit: I'm just wrapping up my first listen of the album. It's way better than I expected, and I got over my disappointment very quickly. I really like this. I hear more industrial here, which I love, and it is definitely quite unique. I've always loved Tool, and liked APC but never dug them as much. I was somewhat sad when APC broke up, but I would MUCH rather hear more Puscifer than more APC. This is *really good*.

H1T_That
12-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I'll be honest. I hated it.

It's just not my style at all.

HeadAroundU
12-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not very impressed. I want my APC back. :(