PDA

View Full Version : "I can't fucking believe I once liked this record."

Vera
12-21-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm not talking about "eww, I liked pop as a kid!" or "my fragile mind once thought Limp Bizkit was worth my money". I'm talking about bands that have some credibility as artists, that you maybe liked enough to buy a CD or two, but now realize they actually really fucking blow.

Franz Ferdinand - Self-titled

I listened to this last night and ughhh, cannot believe I own this. It's repeatitive, annoying poprock that is the worst kind of trendy - the kind you can't listen to at all after MTV stops playing it. It's supposed to be all hip and retro-esque but really it just fucking blows.

Ohmy! There's a song about boylove. I probably thought that was awesome two years back but now? I'd rather watch a horny Easter Bunny mudwrestle a naked Santa than listen to "Michael".

Maybe it'll have nostalgic value in 10 years but now? I want to shoot myself when I listen to Dark Of the Matinee.

wheelchairman
12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
I still like it. I think it sounds good. I never really listen to the radio though, or watch MTV. So I never had the opportunity to be pumped full of songs till I was good and sick of them.

HeadAroundU
12-21-2007, 08:44 AM
I have always hated them. Yay, good for me! They are unbelievably annoying.

Vera
12-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Per, wanna buy my CD?

Share your own, folks!

Mr. Gepetto
12-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Teenage Bottlerocket -Total

This album is seriously a joke. It's only a year or two old, but my god, I hate myself for considering it a good album. I'd say I still enjoy listening to "Blood Bath at Burger King", but even it gets on my nerves at times. This album is the definition of repetition. Even though it has a few catchy riffs it's without good themes. Writing a song called "Repeat Offender" (http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/teenagebottlerocket/repeatoffender.html) that is about stalking a girl more than once is just idiotic, not to mention the lyrics are terrible. Another thing that really grinds my gears about this album is that they say "fuck" or "fucking" to describe everything. "You're fucking lost in space," just say "You're lost in space." "I don't wanna play your stupid fucking games," both times "fucking" is not needed. To sum up, don't buy this album.

Autonomist
12-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Tyrannosaurus Hives by The Hives. An annoying album by an incredibly annoying band, I have no idea why I didn't see it a couple of years ago when it came out. I'd blocked this out of my memory so successfully that I had to check the album title before posting. Wasn't worth it.

coke_a_holic
12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Big D and the Kids Table - How It Goes

Dave can not sing, their lyrics are awful, the music is mediocre, ska is a fucking terrible genre, etc*. I used to be head over heels in love with them, but I don't get why. Strictly Rude is bad, too, but I was never as in love with that album as I am with this one.

MY GIRLFRIEND'S ON DRUUUUGS, MY GIIIRLFRIIIENND'S OON DRUUUUUUGSSS! Lame.

EDIT: for those of you saying, "But Mike! You constatly fawn over Bomb the Music Industry!, The Arrogant Sons of Bitches, BOTAR, and Streetlight!" Keep in mind, ska is an awful genre, but these bands are great. If they played ska, they would be terrible, so they must not be ska bands. Deal?

Offspring-Junkie
12-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Tyrannosaurus Hives by The Hives. An annoying album by an incredibly annoying band, I have no idea why I didn't see it a couple of years ago when it came out. I'd blocked this out of my memory so successfully that I had to check the album title before posting. Wasn't worth it.

I don't know anything about the band, but I definitely like "tick, tick, boom". Sounds good. And I never regreted any album I bought.

JohnnyNemesis
12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
ska is a fucking terrible genre

If they played ska, they would be terrible, so they must not be ska bands. Deal?

I do believe Apathy is waiting for you in the parking lot with a baseball bat and a machete.

coke_a_holic
12-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Apathy and I are (were?) cool. But I mean, come on, name one ska band besides the ones that I mentioned (excluding the Bosstones, they're not terrible) who are really, really good.

If anyone says Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake, I am tearing off my left arm and beating myself within inches of my life with it. Seriously. I can not listen to RBF anymore. Ever.

0r4ng3
12-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I do believe Apathy is waiting for you in the parking lot with a baseball bat and a machete.I'll be there too, just for the heck of it.

Edit: I used to really like Land of the Free by Pennywise. I don't know why.

Mr. Gepetto
12-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Apathy and I are (were?) cool. But I mean, come on, name one ska band besides the ones that I mentioned (excluding the Bosstones, they're not terrible) who are really, really good.

I would agree that there aren't really any great ska bands anymore. However it had it's golden era, and pardon me, this include Reel Big Fish. It's clear you are not a fan of straight ska, which is no problem. But I could name a boat load of ska bands that have at least one good album, it's just a matter of opinion, you choose to dislike any ska bands aside from those you listed, where as I, and aparentley Apathy, like most bands in the genre.

Sorry for continuing this in the thread, I just wanted to fit in my two cents.

Mr. Gepetto
12-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Edit: I used to really like Land of the Free by Pennywise. I don't know why.

Ha, interesting you say that because I just listend to it last night, and hated most of it. Though it was once my favorite album.

JohnnyNemesis
12-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I used to really like Land of the Free by Pennywise. I don't know why.

lolololo guess tehre's "something wrong with you" lololo c wat i did?

coke_a_holic
12-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I would agree that there aren't really any great ska bands anymore. However it had it's golden era, and pardon me, this include Reel Big Fish. It's clear you are not a fan of straight ska, which is no problem. But I could name a boat load of ska bands that have at least one good album, it's just a matter of opinion, you choose to dislike any ska bands aside from those you listed, where as I, and aparentley Apathy, like most bands in the genre.

Sorry for continuing this in the thread, I just wanted to fit in my two cents.

The "golden age of ska" was fueled by the recording industry trying to cash in on the next Sublime. The song from this era sound forced and they all have the same obnoxious "let's party!" theme. Granted, Turn The Radio Off was a great cd, but since that cd, RBF has yet to release anything that is worth the money. The fact is, as great as ska CAN sound, most ska bands end up being awful songwriters, making cds that could've been so great, were it not for weak hornlines, trite rhythms, and fucking TERRIBLE lyrics.

Mr. Gepetto
12-22-2007, 01:24 PM
The "golden age of ska" was fueled by the recording industry trying to cash in on the next Sublime. The song from this era sound forced and they all have the same obnoxious "let's party!" theme. Granted, Turn The Radio Off was a great cd, but since that cd, RBF has yet to release anything that is worth the money. The fact is, as great as ska CAN sound, most ska bands end up being awful songwriters, making cds that could've been so great, were it not for weak hornlines, trite rhythms, and fucking TERRIBLE lyrics.

You might be suprised to see me say that I agree 100%.

0r4ng3
12-22-2007, 01:25 PM
lolololo guess tehre's "something wrong with you" lololo c wat i did?
Is there anyone listening to it still?

lololo i did it too, c it?

JohnnyNemesis
12-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Haha. I liek.

I don't enjoy listening to that album or their other ones anymore. But I wanna be even with my judgment, so I base part of it on how much I liked them at the time, and I thought they were fucking brilliant.

jacknife737
12-22-2007, 02:45 PM
But I mean, come on, name one ska band besides the ones that I mentioned (excluding the Bosstones, they're not terrible) who are really, really good.

The Specials

wheelchairman
12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Per, wanna buy my CD?

Share your own, folks!
Nah I bought one like 2 or 3 years ago.

The only albums I regret buying is that double album of that one blind jazz black guy. Ray Charles. Not interesting music to me really. But it cost as much as two blank cds so why not? Oh and naturally Linkin Park/Papa Roach/Limp Bizkit. But that goes without saying. (Yes Johnny, that goes without saying.)

coke_a_holic
12-22-2007, 05:01 PM
The Specials

Their best songs are covers.

WebDudette
12-24-2007, 02:07 AM
EDIT: for those of you saying, "But Mike! You constatly fawn over Bomb the Music Industry!, The Arrogant Sons of Bitches, BOTAR, and Streetlight!" Keep in mind, ska is an awful genre, but these bands are great. If they played ska, they would be terrible, so they must not be ska bands. Deal?

Kalonoky talks about how BoTAR and Streetlight are not actually ska.

RickyCrack
12-24-2007, 02:22 AM
I mean, come on, name one ska band besides the ones that I mentioned (excluding the Bosstones, they're not terrible) who are really, really good.

The Toasters, The Slackers, The Gadjits, One Cool Guy, The Skatalites, Slapstick, Skankin' Pickle, Voodoo Glowskulls, Link 80, Mu330, SGR, etc, etc, etc.

[the specials] best songs are covers.

Little bitch? Too much too young? Gangsters? Stupid Marriage?

We're not frends anymore :`(````````````````

Llamas
12-24-2007, 02:30 AM
I have quite a lot.
Relient K.
New found glory, the ataris, distillers... even pennywise.
Evanescence's first album is another one. And Everclear. wtf, why did I ever like them?? I also LOVED Something Corporate a couple years ago, even stood front row for a concert and thought it was like the best concert ever. A few months ago, I listened to them and pretty much cringed.
AND Matchbox 20, who goes right along with Everclear. ugh.
Michelle Branch.
Oh god, oh god: Taking Back Sunday. I loved them for a while. wtf.
And Tantric. so generic and boring. blah.

Yeah, that's all I can think of. Kinda weird how our tastes change, and sometimes so quickly.

WebDudette
12-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Oh lawd, everything by Slipknot, srsly wtf!?!?

Not a big 'wtf' but sometimes I listen to the Offspring and I'm like "this was really my favorite band?!"

I'll probably think of more later.

Jakebert
12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
A good amount of the punk rock I used to love. Especially the Descendents. I do not understand why I reguarly creamed my pants over Milo Goes to College.

Scythe Death
12-24-2007, 11:59 AM
It's quite the opposite for me. I can't believe I bought some really good albums when I was a stupid preteen.

This includes my 5 The Offspring albums and, surprisingly, the Marshal Mathers LP. The latter was a dark, depressed album, hence my liking for it. Eminem is the only good rapper. :l

JohnnyNemesis
12-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Eminem is the only good rapper. :l

Someone kill me.

nieh
12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
The Toasters, The Slackers, The Gadjits, One Cool Guy, The Skatalites, Slapstick, Skankin' Pickle, Voodoo Glowskulls, Link 80, Mu330, SGR, etc, etc, etc.

I hate hate hate hate hate Skankin' Pickle...but you know SGR? They were still a local band around here selling burned copies of their albums last I heard from them. I remember them being really good live but never really liked their albums for some reason.

Mike: Capdown seem like they're worth checking out based on the handful of songs I've heard of theirs. Lots of nice horn parts.

coke_a_holic
12-24-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm not really into Capdown; I have two of their cds and found listening to more than a few songs was a chore. Pound For The Sound is a fucking cool song, though, as is Ska Wars.

RickyCrackz: MU330? Fair, they're a lot of fun. The others? No thx. Could you upload any Slapstick, though? I am in love with The Lawrence Arms and they share a member or something, which is enough reason to listen to them.

nieh
12-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Ska Wars and I think Faith No More were the only songs of theirs I can remember and I liked them both. It's a shame that nothing else is apparently up there with it.

RickyCrack
12-24-2007, 03:00 PM
RickyCrackz: MU330? Fair, they're a lot of fun. The others? No thx. Could you upload any Slapstick, though? I am in love with The Lawrence Arms and they share a member or something, which is enough reason to listen to them.

I'll give you the fact that there are a lot of mediocre ska bands, but srsly? you can't like the toasters? :`(`````
But yes i'll totally upload my slapstick anthology for you when i have some time, right now i'm cooking christmas dinner for my dad and brother. Also it's the bass player brendan kelly, also check out the Broadways and The falcon for good tunes.

German Andres
12-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I used to like American Idiot. But that was a long time ago, when I only heard punk and all the other genres where unknown to me

Apathy
12-28-2007, 07:52 PM

Dave can not sing, their lyrics are awful, the music is mediocre, ska is a fucking terrible genre, etc*. I used to be head over heels in love with them, but I don't get why. Strictly Rude is bad, too, but I was never as in love with that album as I am with this one.

MY GIRLFRIEND'S ON DRUUUUGS, MY GIIIRLFRIIIENND'S OON DRUUUUUUGSSS! Lame.

My heart is broken. I still love this band, although I do accept that most lyrics are ridiculous.
and Dave's voice is bad? That's kind of the point. (Besides... BOTAR? Streetlight? BTMI!? Name one of them who is a decent singer, I dare you)

Instead of being offended I'm going to take this oppurtunity to try and hook you on something.

The Flaming Tsunamis. By Force is my favorite. (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=89219735)

Common Rider. Classics Of Love is my favorite. (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=155118427)

Lightyear. Listen through the crappy intro. You may hate this. (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=80549454)

Mu330 you already know. I'm assuming you know Operation Ivy. I'm assuming you hate LeftoverCrack/ChokingVictim.

The Suicide Machines first album is gold, the rest is shit, you might want to give that a try.

coke_a_holic
12-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Fair point on Tomas Kalnoky and Jeff Rosenstock being awful singers, but their lyrics and/or music make up for their voices, whereas Dave's/Big D's do not. I still like Good Luck, btw, because sometimes they are beautifully spot-on (even though the lyrics remain mediocre. Is that what you like or are you just scared? Blegh, though the backgrounds sound great). Everything after that is so lame in comparison, though! It's too bad.

I have a Flaming Tsunamis cd (Zombies and Robots) and I'll listen to it right now because I'll admit that I have yet to check them out, but have been planning on doing so. EDIT: I do not like this. The hardcorepunx gimmick feels forced, and only solidifies my thought that bands who aren't interesting try to find ways to set them apart, rather than actually, like, being interesting.

I wasn't really that into Common Rider, but I felt like they would eventually grow on me. I never really got around to looking into that. I remember them not being very ska-like, though.

Is the first Suicide Machines cd self-titled? I definitely have a self-titled Suicide Machines cd and I definitely didn't like it. I listened to Lightyear, it was alright. Again, nothing special as far as I could see.

Again, I feel like I should point out that I like the way ska SOUNDS, just not the way almost all ska bands execute that sound. It's too uniform, there's too much similarity, and it bums me out.

RICKY: You've gotta hook me up with the Slapstick. I'm seriously at a point where I listen to all of my Larry Arms cds in a row, then get bummed out when it's over. Also, The Toasters are good, but I don't listen to them much.

EDIT: you might call me Richard, because I'm a long-winded hag.

JohnnyNemesis
12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
RICKY: You've gotta hook me up with the Slapstick. I'm seriously at a point where I listen to all of my Larry Arms cds in a row, then get bummed out when it's over. Also, The Toasters are good, but I don't listen to them much.

Wait, wha?

Apathy
12-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Is the first Suicide Machines cd self-titled? I definitely have a self-titled Suicide Machines cd and I definitely didn't like it.

No. The S/T sucks. Sucks butt.

Destruction by Definition is the good one. Look into that.

Harnum
12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk
I was all about BEP about 2 years ago when I dabbled into hip-hop and rap. So, I went and bought there most mainstream album, which at the time was Elephunk. First off, what the hell is with the title? Elephunk? Come on now... anyway, I realized that there was like one song on there I can actually still stomach. I really do wonder why I ever bought that...

coke_a_holic
12-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Wait, wha?
In this case, Ricky = RickyCrack. Get with it, old man!

RickyCrack
12-28-2007, 11:04 PM
i'll get on the slapstick when i get some time. Since it's winter brreak i'eve been spending time with my food friedn alcohol and lvling up my warrior on wow so i can paly with my friend on kel thuszad.

the toasters are amazing, you should look into them, especially the album 'don't let the bastards grind you down'/ and srsly also check out the broadways and the falcon as they both have brendan kelley in them, and he srsly gives me a gay boner.

The thing with big d and the kids table is that they are a fucking bad ass band, but they're last few albums have sucked butt, but i still really like 'stricktly rude' even if it's a mediocre album at best because they're getting back into their old stuff when they were good instead of focusing on the shitting scene music that they were spewing out with how it goes and shit, because i fucking hated those albums, so i'm still hopefull for their immediate future.

nieh
12-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Is the first Suicide Machines cd self-titled? I definitely have a self-titled Suicide Machines cd and I definitely didn't like it.

I've owned their first four albums and their first one, Destruction By Definition, was the only one worth keeping and I still like it. Battle Hymns was the only other ska album they did out of those and it sucked. Their s/t was actually their third album and they were basically just a bland pop-punk band at that point (I remember liking the first track a bit but didn't care for anything else on there) and their fourth album was...ok. Better than the two before it but still not great. Supposedly they went back to the ska-core stuff on their last two albums but I really doubt they're any good so I never bothered checking them out.

BuckyO'Hare
01-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory and Meteora

oh my god...

SkunkIt
01-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Blink 182- Take off your pants and jacket

Every Korn and Limp Bizkit CD I own.

POD- Satellite

ska is a fucking terrible genre

Give me all your Ska CD's, please.

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory and Meteora

oh my god...

I saw them live when I was 13. I fell asleep three times, so I kept kicking the guy's chair in front of me for amusement but he did'nt care, cause he was stoned.

0r4ng3
01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Blink 182- Take off your pants and jacket
Seconded. Back in the day it was my favorite blink album. I listen to it now and wonder what the hell I was smoking (metaphorically, of course).

That's the only example I can come up with that isn't an entire band's discography.

nameless
01-02-2008, 03:45 PM
the first linkin park album, i was never crazy about it but i did think it was good! now i just cant stand anything they do!