PDA

View Full Version : My Newest Side Project!

Harnum
12-23-2007, 11:55 AM
These are the recordings I was talking about a long time ago when I told of how my friend sang and she wrote songs. Well, we finally got around to recording and we made a MySpace. Go take a look and give me your feedbackzzz. Thanks!

Teh Linkzz (www.myspace.com/alyharnum)

Harnum
12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Nobody took a look? =[

EDIT: Holy balls! 1337 post ftw!

Sham
12-28-2007, 09:54 AM
You sound okay at guitar, and she has a good voice, but to be honest, it was totally uninteresting and boring. The songs blended into each other. Try to add something special to a song instead of just writing it. Good production, though.

Random Goods
12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
i cant listen to it right now as im using my PSP, but im just wondering what program do you use to record/mix etc. because right now im using free stuff from NCH swift sound and im wondering if theres anything better i can download for free (check out the sound quality in my thread (like 2 down or somthing) ps its not mixed or anything i just recorded it and posted it :))

Harnum
12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
The songs blended into each other. Try to add something special to a song instead of just writing it.

I understand. I need to add some interesting element to each to make it more diverse, but what?

I shall ponder this. Thanks for the advice.

Sham
12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I was just giving some advice. I'm telling you how to improve, I'm not going to write your songs for you.

mrconeman
12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
They all had the exact same (or very nearly the exact same) strumming/rhythm pattern on the guitar.

Decent enough though, for a bassist who occasionally plays guitar, that girls a pretty good singer.

Harnum
12-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Thank you coneman. My guitar playing does needs work. =[ I wish I knew different styles of strumming and patterns and stuff.. but the funny thing about her singing was that she never knew she could. She started to write music one day and I asked her to sing it. I made a little guitar riff and we eventually had a song. It was cool.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I was just giving some advice. I'm telling you how to improve, I'm not going to write your songs for you.

I know. I never meant to come back as 'saucy' or 'ignorant' by the way. I was serious and not sarcastic. lawl. Sorry, I should have cleared that up.

Edited up top in a clearer sense now!

mrconeman
12-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Don't worry about it, what matters is you have a little creativity going, I've observed that as long as that is there to begin with, actual skill full playing will follow, as well as creativity being developed in turn.

Harnum
12-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I guess, but I'm still unsure of how to dabble into a more creative music style for both of us. Any suggestions?

mrconeman
12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
When it comes to creativity it's about the only thing I really don't know how to give advice for. It's something I find extremely hard to understand and even define, but I am of the belief that
1. You either have it or you don't.
2. Having it isn't enough, everyone needs to develop it further.

To sound a little less philosophical and a little more practical, I think a good way to spawn musical ideas is to learn a couple cover tunes, from a few different styles. You two should experiment with a few songs, even if they are a little out of the comfort zone, it may yield some surprises.

and now an anecdote: Me and a buddy started a completely informal little acoustic duo thing in around summer, we only ever play at parties or out in the street for a few laughs, he's way into his ska chords and reggae and stuff, where as I am much more into playing rock/metal and even a little classical, the one common ground we had was Irish traditional music. But my point is we've tried the whole range of our musical styles, and when we play, it's sort of evolved into something odd, but cool. We started out all covers, but now have a whole bunch of (lyrically retarded/comedic, but musically kinda cool) songs. But yeah, the point of that is to experiment, you never know where it might lead.

Damn, I'm starting to sound like the old me that never left your bands/other bands.

Harnum
12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Too bad you left in the first place.. meanie. :( We missed you.

Ahem.. Let the experimentation commence! Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure where our common ground would be. I think it's just about what we play now. Like, Alanis Morisette/Sarah Mclachlan (don't laugh! :o ) easy listening stuff. If so, then we're screwed. But I'll try some new genres and things. =]

T-6005
12-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Personally, I find that a fantastic way to learn to improvise is to listen to Jazz, because I listen to it just enough to find inspiration in it - but when I listen I listen for the diversity that I don't find in other styles of music. I think that if you listen for structures it's very possible to ruin your own experience with the idea of experimentation.

Admittedly, though, the only reason for me to personally feel that way is because I find no ground in a lot of jazz, especially free jazz. Classical music is easy - the ebb and flow is almost intuitive, and rock and blues and such are fairly simple to pick up, but Jazz music has always thwarted me when it wasn't swing.

And yet it's great for there to be a style of music I can enjoy - because I do enjoy jazz, even free jazz - yet still find challengin to comprehend. I found Country rather difficult to comprehend for a while - not in the melodies or time signatures, but rather the focus on tone and subject. It's something everyone needs to learn. Just because people make fun of country quite a bit doesn't mean that everyone doesn't have something to learn about the singular insistence on concept.

coke_a_holic
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
T is once again right about everything. I can upload a jazz mix tomorrow night for you, if you'd like. It's a very interesting style of music, it's a lot of fun to play, and it's generally the perfect music for work because it's so subtle, yet so brilliant simultaneously. It all depends on how much attention you pay to the detail of it.

I'll listen to your music in a few minutes and will comment on it then.

EDIT: I feel a sort of mix between what other people have been saying. I think that you guys sound really good together and I like the sound of everything, I just found the songwriting itself to be lacking. I mean, I can't tell what it is, because I find that I have a lot of trouble with songwriting, too, but I think that you should work on finding new sounds and trying out lyrics that aren't so similar to each other. It can still be about the same subjects, just fewer lines that seem to borrow so much from other songs you wrote. That's all, I think.

Harnum
12-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Right. Thanks guys. Oh, and the jazz upload won't be needed. The retarded thing about this is that I play bass in a jazz band. =] I just don't seem to be inspired by it or anything. Bleh...

coke_a_holic
12-31-2007, 12:36 PM
haha, I actually play guitar in my school's jazz band, too.

You should definitely think about the rhythms of the horn parts and the key changes and all of that; it's unlike anything in any other genre of music, and it may not directly inspire you, but it could help you to think outside of the box when writing music.

Harnum
12-31-2007, 12:46 PM
I guess it could help the whole 'outside-of-the-box' thinking. The only thing is that our jazz band is VERY small. 9 people I think. My school only has 300 people, from grade 7 to 12. Tiny, tiny school. In the band, we have a bass, drums, one guitar, 2 saxes, one trumpet, keys and 2 flutes. I don't even think flute belongs in jazz. Heh, this is my first year in the group and I like it a lot. We really lack people though. =[

coke_a_holic
12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
haha, wow, our's is huge in comparison. We've got bass, guitar, drums, piano, three alto saxes, two tenors, a bari, four trombones, a bass trombone, five trumpets, and an auxiliary percussionist. I may put up some videos of us playing sometime next week (my dad filmed us at festival from his crappy camera), I've been throwing the idea around for a while.

But yeah, if jazz opens doors for all sorts of musical ideas that would otherwise never be considered, like, throwing in passing chords and tones and things of that nature.

Also, you should put basslines under your music, too. That would sound cool.

Harnum
12-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Some of them have bass, but not a bass line as such. They just follow the natural chords. I need to understand better what chords go with what. I took a music course last year and couldn't get it again this year, so I am losing out on all the chord junk and some minor theory stuff.

T-6005
01-19-2008, 09:54 AM
The last time I commented I hadn't actually listened to the songs - I was on a very bad connection.

I really like what you've got going in Not Today. A lot. My only complaint is that it's maybe a tad too long. It makes it repetitive. But I really like the vocal part. Maybe a tiny bit more instrumentation would dress it up a bit?

Upside Down just does nothing for me - it sounds like a song you'd hear in a teen movie. Which is actually not a bad thing in itself, I just don't particularly enjoy it.

People are right on you maybe needing a bit more variety, but for me I think it's mostly a question of instrumentation, and that maybe you could change the strumming patterns a little.

Overall, though, I really like it. I definitely think you should keep working on this. I like where it's going.

Harnum
01-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks T.

There are only 2 of us so we are the ones who have to do all the instrument work. It lacks a bit that way on account of laziness and the like. We have recording studio time so if that goes well then I'll repost the actual quality songs.

Upside down is pretty bad because it was her first ever song, the first time we'd ever recorded and we were goofing off. It came out ok quality wise though, but the song is lacking musical quality.

Not Today is my favorite to play. I like the chord progression and the.. "solo". I threw that together on the spot and my picking was horrible.

Thanks for the comments! =]