PDA

View Full Version : 2008.

Jakebert
12-26-2007, 02:56 PM
What albums are you looking forward to in 2008?

With release dates:

Nada Surf- Lucky (February 5th)
The Mountain Goats- Heretic's Pride (February 19th)*
Sun Kil Moon- April (April 1st)
The Breeders- Mountain Battles (April 8th)
Weezer- Untitled 6th Studio Album (April 22nd)

Release dates unknown:
R.E.M.- Untitled 14th studio album
Green Day- Untitled 8th Studio Album**
The Offspring- Untitled Some-Numbered Studio Album**
Saves the Day- Daybreak
David Bazan- David Bazan's Black Cloud

*This is the first time that I can remember an album I want being released on my birthday. I am excited.
**These two have the potential to suck, but I'm curious to see how they turn out.

Some predictions:

Weezer- hopefully this moves forward instead of covering the same dull ground Make Believe did. I've heard that Rivers has loosened up and is letting the other memebers write songs and do lead vocals, which should energize the band, since he's been running dry of ideas.

R.E.M.- based on the stuff from the Dublin shows and the things that have been posted by the webmaster of Murmers.com (who works for the band), this album is shaping up to be very, very good. The only worry I have is that it may sound like Monster a bit too much, but the webmaster has said a few times that it's not looking that way.

Green Day- I imagine that this will be somewhat of a mixture of the slower tracks from AI, "Wake Me Up", and Boulevard", with a few rockier tracks thrown in just to keep the hardcore fans from abandoning them.

The Offspring- I expect it to sound exactly like Splinter and CO1, except maybe a bit heavier. I honestly do hope that it's worth the anticipation it's been causing, but I can't say I'm overly optimistic about it.

Saves the Day- This is part 3 of a trilogy of albums. One of them sucked, the other and most recent one was actually really good and a step in a direction I'd like to see them continue. I am optimistic about this.

Sham
12-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Eminem - King Mathers
Nas - Nigger
New Offspring

disclaimer_07
12-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I hope the new Offspring album won't be sucky, and they will show some new stuff and a bit different style. Yea, I am particularly waiting for this one....

nameless
12-26-2007, 03:08 PM
the only bands i can think of that im sure will release an album next year are the offspring, metallica and anti flag!

i havent heard much about weezer except for rivers solo album!

jacknife737
12-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Off the top of my head i'm looking forward to (and Im sure Im missing a couple but..) new studio albums from....

The Offspring - Prediction: I have high expectations for this... i suspect it the majority of the tracks will have a similar sound to tracks like Lightning Rod, Million Miles Away, etc.

Green Day- Prediction: I'm not really sure what to expect from them, based on what i've read in interviews the album is going to have a more of a "Mature/Middle-aged" theme, so i suppose it will be closer to Warning then Dookie.

Metallica- Prediction: Please God let it be better then Saint Anger

Rancid - Prediction: I honestly have no idea, say what you want about this band, but each album has been different from the others in some way or another. Perhaps Tim got his ska/reggae fix with his solo stuff and it will lean more towards Rancid 2000... but who knows.

Social Distortion - Prediction: i expect it to sound similar to their last disk (Sex Love...) which isn't a bad thing at all.

mrconeman
12-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Not much really, but to be honest I haven't kept up with music news alot lately, there's probably a few albums I'll get as soon as I hear about them, I just don't know they're coming yet.
but yeah, new Greenday, new Offspring and new Black Mages.

coke_a_holic
12-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Foxy Shazam: Introducing Foxy Shazam (January 22) I already have this cd and it's pretty kickin'.

Bomb the Music Industry!: Untitled 5th album 2nd studio album. It's going to rule and I'm excited for it.

Cursive: Untitled album. Cursive rules, I'm excited to see where they end up going on the next album. They've been moving towards a less indie/emo sound and a more upbeat sound, so it'll be interesting to see if they continue that trend.

Uhhh, that's it.

cool 2 hate 681
12-26-2007, 03:47 PM
here are 9 in no order (except the new offspring album)

1 The Offspring's eighth studio album
2 Weezer's sixth studio album
3 Pennywise Free for the People
4 AFI currently untitled EP
5 Smashing Pumpkins American Gothic EP
6 Metallica's ninth studio album
7 +44 2nd studio album
8 Rancid's seventh studio album
9 Social Distortion's seventh studio album

Mr. Gepetto
12-26-2007, 03:59 PM
It Is Time for a Love Revolution by Lenny Kravitz. I'm a long time LK fan.

Free for the People by Pennywise. Though I have grown apart from this band over the years, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in giving this album a listen.

The Offspring's new album.
Weezer's new album.
Detox by Dr. Dre
Rumored 311 album

Rumored Helmet album. I used to be a big Helmet fan and would just like to see what they're gonna do next.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstone's new album.
Rumored Primus album.

Rumored Rancid album. I still enjoy AOCTW, and would love another album like it.

I'm looking forward to what Green Day has in store as well. For the most part they haven't disappointed.

Jakebert
12-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Metallica- Prediction: Please God let it be better then Saint Anger

I'm curious to hear how this turns out. I've never been a Metallica fan, but I've heard a lot of talk about this one, and I always get interested in hearing how largely hyped albums turn out.

coke_a_holic
12-26-2007, 04:12 PM
That "rumored Primus album" has been rumored for, like, 3 years. It's not coming out any time soon. Fuckin' Les Claypool and his (generally) crappy side projects.

I vote he either brings back the Frog Brigade or makes a new Primus album.

WebDudette
12-26-2007, 04:59 PM
There been word that Afi just started working on a new album, but who knows how long that could take. I am looking forward to the EP though.

The Offspring album of course, though I doubt I will really like it.

I can't think of much else that I know about, hmm.

Stranger With Candy
12-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Hmm... Well its The Offspring`s new album, Weezer`s new album and Alice in Chains` new album. Thats all i can think of right now.

Little_Miss_1565
12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
This thread makes me feel really sad. For myself, I mean. I have had my head buried so far in work that I haven't paid any attention to who has an album coming out. Nada Surf? Mountain Goats? Two of my favorites ever. And I had no idea they'd both have new stuff in February.

Though, there is supposedly a new Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds coming in 2008. That much I did catch. Stoked. And of course, the Offspring album. Anything that has put so much draaaaaaaaaaaaaama in my life, well, dying to hear what it comes out like. :)

0r4ng3
12-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Aside from all the other albums here, I'd also like to add that The Fall of Troy are releasing at least one album next year.

I think Billy Talent has something out next year too, so I'm of course looking for that.

coke_a_holic
12-26-2007, 09:43 PM
New Fall of Troy? Fucking sweet. I hope it's less like Manipulator and more like good.

JohnnyNemesis
12-26-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm fucking desperate for the next Offspring album. And it's long long long long LONG overdue. This is the longest gap between albums they've ever had, and I want a new one gimme gimme gimme!!!

Aside from that and the new Eminem and Nas stuff, I'm not really looking forward to anything.

Vera
12-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Uhhh. Besides new Offspring, I don't really have any?

Except new Shinhwa (aka best Asian boyband ever) and new Shinhwa member solo albums (um, yeah, I'm obsessed, screw you) and the soundtrack for the Bollywood film Tashan, which is apparently "Indian rock".

Forza
12-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Ayreon - 01011001 (Jan. 25)

and of course the new Offspring album.

nieh
12-27-2007, 06:22 AM
The only thing I know that's coming out next year is a new Man Man album.

sk8ter-hater
12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm not looking forward to the Bedlam in Goliath by the Mars Volta at all.
Maybe Jeremy Enigk'll make an album that sounds like On the Wayside (one of the two new songs in his last album). That was a good song.
I don't know any albums for sure, though.

nieh
12-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Maybe Jeremy Enigk'll make an album that sounds like On the Wayside (one of the two new songs in his last album).

His last album pissed me off so much. It had a sticker saying "new studio album from Jeremy Enigk" on it. Then I bought it and realized that 5 out of 9 of the songs were just live-in-the-studio versions of songs from his album that was released less than a year earlier.

sk8ter-hater
12-27-2007, 02:45 PM
yeah, it was a piece of shit. In one of the songs I think he just added the word NO!

IAmARevenant
01-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Perhaps Tim got his ska/reggae fix with his solo stuff and it will lean more towards Rancid 2000... but who knows.

I hope not. The only reason Rancid 2000 was made was to appease their whiney fans who couldn't take Life Won't Wait.
And Rancid already has enough punk albums; they need to go back to their roots.

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-02-2008, 11:12 PM
josh freese's second solo album

Llamas
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Fo sho... Dido, Weezer, Offspring, Alkaline Trio, Jewel, No Doubt, Trans Siberian Orchestra***.

Will also maybe check out Radiohead, Eminem, Green Day, Black Eyed Peas, Gnarls Barkely, Goo Goo Dolls, David Gray, Killers, Postal Service, Raconteurs, .

***This goes in the "maybe" section if it's another Christmas album. Definitely much more a fan of their non-Christmas music.

jacknife737
01-03-2008, 01:16 AM
I hope not. The only reason Rancid 2000 was made was to appease their whiney fans who couldn't take Life Won't Wait.

I also hope the album has more of a 'ska' sound to it, i was merely speculating. However, i disagree that they put out 2000 to just "appease" their fans, to me it seemed to show that they did just want to turn out the same old stuff every record, they try to be different with each release they put out.

Another couple albums Im waiting for are:

Alkaline Trio- If the album sounds anything like the new track the debuted at last years Warped Tour, this record is going to be a lot different from Crimson.

And

Goldfinger Im expecting more of a ska sound to this compared to their last couple releases.

IAmARevenant
01-03-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm quite excited for Amanda Palmer's solo album
(and if they're releasing a new Dresden Dolls album)

Ansem
01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
New Offspring album
New Metallica album
Bullet for my Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
New Green Day Album
New Slipknot album

Jakebert
01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Radiohead, Goo Goo Dolls, Postal Service,

I reccommend "In Rainbows" to everyone possible. Really good stuff.

Are you talking about the b-side album or an actual new album? I might check out the b-side album, but I refuse to every buy a new Goo Goo Dolls album after the last one. Everytime I listen to it I find something new to hate.

I had no idea that there is a new Postal Service album coming. Have any idea when?

Llamas
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I reccommend "In Rainbows" to everyone possible. Really good stuff.

Are you talking about the b-side album or an actual new album? I might check out the b-side album, but I refuse to every buy a new Goo Goo Dolls album after the last one. Everytime I listen to it I find something new to hate.

I had no idea that there is a new Postal Service album coming. Have any idea when?

As far as GGD, they are supposed to release a new album in 2008. B-sides album? I've not heard about that, so maybe that's what they're releasing this year? I'll check it out either way... Let Love In was a steaming heap of garbage, but there are still a couple songs on there that I like, and I do have this glimmer of hope that they'll learn from their mistakes.

All I know about the PS album is that it's due out in 2008. I don't think a date has been released.

Jakebert
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
All I know about the Goo Goo Dolls in terms of new stuff is that sometime this month they're releasing a "Greatest Hits Volume 2: B-sides and Remixes".

Let Love In was just such a disappiontment that I can't see myself buying another album from them. Not only was it a horrible album, but I really, really hate that they put "Give A Little Bit" on it after already releasing it as a single on another album. That's one of the cheapest things I've seen a band do.

Little_Miss_1565
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
However, Let Love In the Nick Cave album is one of the best albums ever.

Llamas
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
All I know about the Goo Goo Dolls in terms of new stuff is that sometime this month they're releasing a "Greatest Hits Volume 2: B-sides and Remixes".
Oh, cool. I'd be more likely to check that out than a new album, for sure.

Let Love In was just such a disappiontment that I can't see myself buying another album from them. Not only was it a horrible album, but I really, really hate that they put "Give A Little Bit" on it after already releasing it as a single on another album. That's one of the cheapest things I've seen a band do.
What album was it released on before? I was a bit upset that they put it on there, though, because I hate their version of it.

Harnum
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't listen to a broad variety of music, so the only 2 I'm really looking forward to are the new Wolfmother album (if it happens) and the Offspring album. Though for the latter, I honestly don't have high hopes.

coke_a_holic
01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
WAIT WAIT, new Postal Service?

Holy fucking shit yes! Give Up makes me feel all warm inside, I'm down for any Postal Service that wants to release itself.

Thomas
01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't really know what's coming out this year, but I'm EXTREMELY excited for the new album by The Hanks. A new Offspring album will be fun, too. I'd probably get the new Bomb the Music Industry! album as well. 311 never ceases to disappoint, also. We shall see.

Jakebert
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
What album was it released on before? I was a bit upset that they put it on there, though, because I hate their version of it.

The "Live From Buffalo" album.

nieh
01-07-2008, 06:48 PM
new Notwist
new Subtle (I know they've already started working on new stuff at least a couple months ago, wiki says it'll be out in fall)
maybe new 13 & God (they're going to start working on recording it as soon as the Notwist are done recording theirs, not sure how long that'll take)

BREAK
01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
The Mae Shi - HLLLYH (CD release; it's only been out on cassette so far.)

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Since they finally got dropped by Interscope, hopefully they'll show some of that creative spark that was missing from their last two albums.

Subtle - part 3 of the Hour Hero Yes trilogy. It will rule.

Doves - New album. Don't know what to expect.

Cat Power - Jukebox. I don't like covers albums, but I'm determined to like this.

Cage - New album. I will like it.

Nick Cave - of course.

Kid Static - New solo album

Made Out of Babies - Might not come out til 2009 though.

Rapider Than Horsepower - I don't actually know if they're putting out a new album(they might be broken up for all I know), I'm just declaring that I like them

I will think of more later

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
new nerf herder
new flogging molly

nieh
01-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Subtle - part 3 of the Hour Hero Yes trilogy. It will rule.

According to wikipedia, "Doseone has stated that the album will be an attempt to create a more accessible sound and will be far more influenced by pop music than their previous releases." This kind of worries me, unless it ends up being a whole album's worth of Mercury Crazes where the story called for a pop song.

ruroken
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Mindless Self Indulgence - IF

This album is going to suck... but it's MSI so I don't really care.

Foxy Shazam: Introducing Foxy Shazam (January 22) I already have this cd and it's pretty kickin'.

edit; FUCK YES
do you have their demos and shit?

Jakebert
01-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Bump.

I figure that we could also use this thread to talk about the stuff that we've heard so far this year that we like. Anyway, the new Nada Surf album is being streamed on their Myspace. (http://www.myspace.com/nadasurf).

I wasn't planning on buying it since I've been strapped on cash lately, but goddamn, I need this album. Great cover art, good songs, it may be their best yet.

nieh
02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
http://assets4.pitchforkmedia.com/images/image/44778.Yesthegoodghostslil.jpg (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/48564-subtle-reveal-new-album-iexitingarmi)

Holy fuck. Why did this have to get posted while I'm at work? There's no speakers on the computers here so I can't listen to the song they put up. *hate*

Llamas
02-08-2008, 06:27 PM
New Atmosphere in April! I gotta catch a show one of these days now that I'm back in the cities...

I see that Billy Bragg is putting one out that same day... hmm...

Barenaked Ladies have one coming? Not sure on the details there...

- -Lauren- -
02-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I heard that Barenaked Ladies have a new album coming out sometime.

I've got ahold of The Mars Volta's The Bedlam in Goliath. It seems pretty good so far, I just haven't listened to all of it yet.

And Chinese Democracy is supposed to come out this year. Which ACTUALLY means at least next year.

BREAK
02-08-2008, 10:02 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Nick_Cave_%26_the_Bad_Seeds_-_Dig%2C_Lazarus%2C_Dig%21%21%21_coverart.JPG

I'm already wet.

Sidewinder
02-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Accelerate Accelerate Accelerate.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-10-2008, 10:01 AM
311's new untitled album
Offspring's new untitled album

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
not new per se... but i am salivating at the RFTC "R.I.P." CD+DVD, out in february

holland25
02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
The new Offspring album
The new Adolescents album
The new Metallica album
The new Slipknot album
The new Social Distortion album
The Exploited - Fuck the Society
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Have Another Ball

GBH2
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
holy shit new adolescents album. oc confidential was awesome

wikipedia better be right

i am also looking forward to social distortion and the offspring. i hope they don't disappoint

H1T_That
02-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Here's my list. (Red ones i already have now)

Bullet For My Valentine - Scream, Aim, Fire
Disturbed - Indestructable
Children Of Bodom - Blooddrunk
In Flames - A Sense Of Purpose
Slipknot - *Untitled*
Ill Nino - Enigma
The Offspring - *Untitled*
Metallica - *Untitled*
Dream Theater - Greatest Hits & Rarities
Anti-Flag - The Bright Lights Of America
Millencolin - Machine 15
Thrice - Alchemy Index Vol III & IV
Story Of The Year - The Black Swan
Rise Against - *Untitled*
Soulfly - *Untitled*
Static-X - *Untitled*
The Living End - *Untitled*
Green Day - *Untitled*
Mudvayne - *Untitled*
Rammstein - *Untitled*
Slayer - *Untitled*
Lostprophets - *Untitled*
Alexisonfire - *Untitled*

nieh
04-03-2008, 02:20 PM
First, on April 4, the group will unveil a comic/graphic novel tying into the album, continuing the narrative of Subtle protagonist "Hour Hero Yes" and featuring original sounds from the Subtle-verse. The graphic novel will exist online at the Paul Riley-designed website ExitingARM.com, and Subtle will also produce a print edition entitled The OughtAlmanac of AmassedFact Vol. I.

That OughtAlmanac, available exclusively at shows, is limited to 100 copies and includes an MP3 CD containing "all 2.8 hours of the Almanac read over Subtle improv exerpts and record crackle." Oh my. It's actually the second Subtle "artifact as art", following the limited edition handmade board game released in conjunction with for hero: for fool.

Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Philly is their 12th date on the tour which means there's a good chance they'll be sold out before I get a chance to buy it.

Apparently Doseone is also working on a non-Subtle related cartoon that may or may not end up on Adult Swim.
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/49713-subtle-serve-up-comic-laser-light-show-tv-series

I'd seriously be geeking out right now if anyone at work gave a shit about Subtle.

Cock Joke
04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Well, most certainly the new Offspring album.

Chinese Democracy. COME ON FREE DR. PEPPER!!!

If Velvet Revolver hires Sebastian Bach to take Scott's place, then yes, the new Velvet Revolver album.

Obviously, the new Green Day album. Am I the only hardcore Offspring fan who is also a hardcore Green Day fan on the side?

Social Distortion, but I don't see that happening within the decade.

Angels & Airwaves...NOT!!!

Steady frikkin Ground PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

And that's about it.

coke_a_holic
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Anyone have British Sea Power's new album? I've been told it will rock me out like nothing else, but I have yet to hear them/anything by them. It's titled "Do You Like Rock Music?" which I think is just an awesome name for an album. So yeah, this cd is apparently on top of everyone's top albums of '08 list already.

I'm still in love with that Mountain Goats cd, though.

nieh
04-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I HAD it on my old computer before it died because I made a deal with Sarah/1565 to listen to that and the recent Nerf Herder in exchange for making her listen to Subtle. Both bands were alright but I don't get why either one has such high praises, neither one stood out as more than just a typical decent indie band.

Could you upload some Mountain Goats? I never did see their new cd in stores so I wasn't able to pick it up. I liked the Okkervil whatever album, btw.

Yatesy
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Albums of this year I have so far:
The Black Mages - Darkness & Starlight (nerd lolz)
Genghis Tron - Board Up the House
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
Meshuggah - obZen (Best album so far imo)
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Porcupine Tree - We Lost The Skyline (really good live/acoustic album)
R.E.M. - Accelerate

and here's the albums I'm looking to get when they're out...

In Flames - A Sense Of Purpose (new song is a bit meh though)
Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live
Children Of Bodom - Blooddrunk (again like In Flames a bit unsure about the new songs I've heard)
Madonna - Hard Candy
Opeth - Watershed
New Alice In Chains
New Green Day
New Fear Factory
New Offspring

Also need to get hold of H.A.A.R.P. by Muse asap, already seen a few friends of mine on the DVD. xD

Jakebert
04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
All four the the main ones I wanted are out now:

The Mountain Goats- Heretic Pride 4.5/5.
Nada Surf- Lucky 4/5.
Sun Kil Moon- April 5/5
R.E.M.- Accelerate 4.5/5.

I'm pretty please. Also, I've gotten a few others:

the Breeders- Mountain Battles. 3/5.
Xiu Xiu- Women as Lovers 4/5
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks- Real Emotional Trash 4/5.

So far I'm pretty pleased with this year.

BREAK
04-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Heard these so far:

The Mae Shi - HLLLYH (pro)
Cat Power - Jukebox (undecided)
She & Him - Volume 1 (pro)
Times New Viking - Rip it Off (con)
Jarboe & Justin Broadrick - J2 (undecided)
Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw (con)
Gregor Samsa - Rest (pro, X1000,000)
Crystal Castles - s/t (pro)
Vampire Weekend - s/t (con, just because)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig (pro)
Man Man - Rabbit Habits (pro, but forgot why)
Why? - Alopecia (pro)

Definitely not enough. Somebody bring the recommendations.

jacknife737
04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
2008 has been a solid year so far, i've loved just about every cd i've picked up.

So aside from what i've already mentioned in this thread; i'm eagerly anticipating albums from; Goldfinger (yes, i still like them) and Alkaline Trio although i'm sure i'm forgetting a couple of the upcoming ones.

coke_a_holic
04-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Agreed on the Times New Viking. It was trash, passing off completely unlistenable, bassless, trebely crackling as music. I don't get why people confuse unlistenably-lo-fi with artsy.

Also, agreed on The Mae Shi, Why?, and Man Man (seriously, I like it, but I have been in a mood where listening to Man Man means getting headaches), and Jakebert, can you upload that Nada Surf album? I've heard great things, but have only ever heard one song by the band.

I have these albums from 2008 with my shitty descriptions, but I haven't listened to all of all of them yet:

Protest the Hero - Fortress (post-punk, screaming nonsense, but not in a bad way)
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath (wankery, but almost like a yearning for ATDI-like wankery)
The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride (indie-folk rock, I'll upload this for Josh later)
Los Campesinos! - Hold On, Now, Youngster... (kinda Q and not U-meets-new-pornographers-like, but not really?)
Man Man - Rabbit Hats (Tom Waits meets Frank Zappa meets Gogol Bordello meets Modest Mouse)
Why? - Alopecia (uhhh it's not really hip-hop or indie rock, but the closest it can get between the two?)

I'd probably get these when they come out (thx wikipedia):
BTMI! - New album
Cursive - New album
Nas - Nigger
Scarlett Johansson - Anywhere I Lay My Head (seriously, as if she could be any hotter, she's covering Tom Waits songs)
Primus - New album (yea rite, this isn't real)
The Falcon - New album

nieh
04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Even if Primus does release a new album, I'm not expecting it to be so hot. While I liked the Animals EP, it felt like they were trying too hard to sound certain ways instead of just naturally sounding certain ways. Like, Les has gotten to the point where he seems to be trying too be 'weird' and 'funny' all the time.

Anyways

The Mae Shi - HILLYH
Awesome, but the second half isn't as good as the first.
Why? - Alopecia
Great, but as I said somewhere else, he's pretty weak as a vocalist almost to the point that I wish he would just do music for other people.
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
Good, but not as awesome as their first.
The B-52s - Funplex
A lot better than I was expecting. Consistently fun from beginning to end but nothing on it is as good as their older stuff. They bring in lots more electronics than I remember them using before which almost sounds like Devo on occasion what with the electronics mixed in with tawngy guitar.
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath
The only album they've done that I've been able to listen to in its entirety since the debut. That said, I haven't had the urge to listen to it since getting it.

I can't think of any other new releases I've picked up off the top of my head. I've avoided downloading the Man Man so far and I'm guessing Tunes will have the cd out tomorrow since it's being released on Tuesday.

Smash punker
04-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Im dying from waiting for new Offspring stuff. Pennywise is releasing new stuff too and Slipknot are working on the new record! :D

Jackson08
04-05-2008, 11:50 PM
The new Oasis record

Sidewinder
04-06-2008, 12:11 AM
The new Oasis record
lul, wut?

barangatang
04-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Hmm... Well its The Offspring`s new album, Weezer`s new album and Alice in Chains` new album. Thats all i can think of right now.

WHAT!?! Are they actually going to try to make an album without Layne?

StayInTheHouseCarl
04-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Flogging Molly's "Float" is pretty goddamn spectacular.

Alex101
04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Here's my list of 2008 albums I did or will to check out:

Anti-Flag - The Bright Lights of America
Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
Disturbed - Indestructible
Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy (if it ever does come out)
H2O - Nothing to Prove
Mötley Crüe - The Dirt
Pennywise - Reason to Believe
Presidents of the USA - These Are the Good Times People
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Weezer - s/t (The Red Album)
Still-untitled new records from The Offspring (definitely gonna check it out when it's released), Rancid, AC/DC, The Adolescents, Rise Against, Green Day, Social Distortion, The Alkaline Trio, Metallica, and 311.

Cock Joke
04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
AC/DC's making one!? Oh shit! I'd definitely get that one way or another! Maybe they'll do itunes in that case, as well!

nieh
04-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig (pro)

Would this be a good starting spot? I've never heard more than a handful of his songs, most of which were with the Birthday Party.

BREAK
04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Very good, but it's not as dark or romantic as most of his other stuff(and it sure as hell ain't the Birthday Party, but nothing is). Nick has sort of embraced his playful side more over the years, leaving the somber, paranoid little mood pieces for his soundtrack work. I'll have it up later tonight.

BREAK
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
The Mae Shi - HILLYH
Awesome, but the second half isn't as good as the first.

I disagree with this. I think it's a very evenly-spaced album, and all the songs I don't care for as much (7xx7, Pwnd, Leech & Locust) are in the first half. I really dig how the album starts to move in a more overtly pop direction starting with Run To Your Grave (and excluding Kingdom Come).

I was curious what you'd think about the new B-52s.

nieh
04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
I got the new Man Man and the Nick Cave album tonight. So far I'm not sure what I think of the Man Man one. It sounds a lot less bouncy and hooky than their last one, and the melodies don't seem to stick out as well as either of their previous albums. I'll have to listen a few more times. I like the Nick Cave one a lot, but I'm only like halfway through it right now.

Jackson08
04-09-2008, 03:27 AM
lul, wut?

Wat do you mean wat...

nieh
04-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Blind Melon - For My Friends
It's fine, but on first listen it doesn't seem like it has any real reason to exist. It's more of a follow-up to their s/t album than to Soup or Nico (which were always the two more interesting albums) in that it's basically just slightly country-tinged condensed jam-band music, though it still sounds different enough from the s/t to make it not seem recycled or anything. The new singer sounds more than a little similar to Shannon Hoon at times, but not throughout the entire album which is nice. Pretty much the whole thing sounds fine, I'll have to listen to it a few more times to see if there's anything that really sticks out though.

coke_a_holic
04-22-2008, 08:58 PM
I got the new Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin cd, Pershing. I like it quite a bit, it's very catchy. It's basically just fun indie-pop, really easy listening, very catchy and pretty light.

drex878
04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Check out the new Flobots album, Fight With Tools. Very Original.

bd007h
04-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Ones I've already downloaded/listened to:

Protest The Hero - Fortress
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath
Nada Surf - Lucky
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Panic At The Disco - Pretty. Odd.
Pennywise - Reason To Believe
Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
Children of Bodom - Bloodrunk
Thrice - The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV

Ones I'm planning on checking out when they are released/leaked:

From First To Last - From First To Last
Jakob Dylan - Seeing Things
Filter - Anthems For The Damned
3 Doors Down - 3 Doors Down
Disturbed - Indestructible
Gavin Rossdale - Wanderlust
The Offspring - Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
Weezer - Weezer (Red Album)
Gym Class Heroes - The Quilt
Alkaline Trio - Agony and Irony
possibly other speculated releases

H1T_That
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Ones I've already downloaded/listened to:

Protest The Hero - Fortress
Children of Bodom - Bloodrunk
Thrice - The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV

I've got these so far too. Whats your thoughs on them?

bd007h
04-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Haven't really listened to the last few a whole lot yet, but with the first 2 I definitely prefer Protest The Hero

nameless
04-24-2008, 06:11 PM
the only new album ive heard this year is reason to believe by pennywise. other than that i am looking forward to the offspring and weezer albums which are out soon!

nieh
05-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Why is it that Subtle are saying the release date for the album is today, but everywhere that you can actually buy their albums says it's not coming out until 6/3? And I was planning on running by Best Buy on the way to work to pick it up. I guess I'll just download it for now. *hate*

BREAK
05-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Maybe the official digital release was today, and the physical release isn't til June? *shrugs* Anyway, I've had it for a while.

WARNING! WARNING! NOT AS GOOD AS FHFF. *flashing sirens*

nieh
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
That's what I figured, but just a few days ago Best Buy's website had their release date listed as today and now they pushed it out to 6/3 so it seems like I wasn't the only one expecting the actual cd to come out today. And yeah, I'm not expecting it to be as good as FHFF, but is it still good on its own?

BREAK
05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
It's really mellow and might take some getting used to at first, but good just the same. A couple of tracks are trippier/funkier than anything they've done before. No way in fucking hell is it a "pop record", though. If anything, it's less accessible than ever, yet not even as quirky or adventurous as the last record, if that made any sense.

maplejet
05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Hyped about The Offspring's new one...also awaiting Disturbed's Indestructible next month and may give Weezer's Red Album a try.

Also to note:
*Deftones - Eros
*Metallica's new album
*Green Day's new album
*Eminem - King Mathers

Llamas
05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Bump.

I figure that we could also use this thread to talk about the stuff that we've heard so far this year that we like. Anyway, the new Nada Surf album is being streamed on their Myspace. (http://www.myspace.com/nadasurf).

I wasn't planning on buying it since I've been strapped on cash lately, but goddamn, I need this album. Great cover art, good songs, it may be their best yet.

I picked up Lucky today. Every once in a great while, I'll buy a couple albums by bands I've never heard, but whose name I'm heard enough times by people whose musical tastes I respect... (I like to do this as opposed to just downloading/asking for an upload, because this way I'm really forced to listen to it, and I tend to give myself a much better chance of liking it. It's a risk I'm willing to take now and then, and I've never been disappointed by a choice). Today was one of those days, and I got Nada Surf's Lucky, and a Rilo Kiley album.

I REALLY dig this. I really had no idea what to expect. But it's so awesome. I went and looked up on youtube "Popular"... what a terrible song, haha. Hard to believe that's the same band. I don't know if you saw my post in the music request thread... but I was wondering if any of their albums sound like Lucky, or if they're more along the lines of Popular? Seriously, though, this album is so good.

slade
05-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Thrice
Story Of The Year
The Offspring
3 Doors Down
Lostprophets

Probably just them. Already have 3 Doors Down, Thrice and Story Of The Years.

Soty definitely didn't disappoint. I expected what i got form Thrice and 3 Doors Down, well i wasn't a big fan to start with so it's an ok album. A little soft though.

nieh
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
It's really mellow and might take some getting used to at first, but good just the same. A couple of tracks are trippier/funkier than anything they've done before. No way in fucking hell is it a "pop record", though. If anything, it's less accessible than ever, yet not even as quirky or adventurous as the last record, if that made any sense.

Yeah, I finally listened to it and it's probably the least catchy thing they've done. I don't know why they said they used the Mercury Craze as a model for the whole album because there's nothing at all like it on there.

IcerC
05-16-2008, 09:25 PM
pennywise
Millencolin
Nerf Herder
Rancid
Alkaline Trio
sxdx

nieh
07-16-2008, 06:01 AM
One Day as a Lion (http://www.myspace.com/onedayasalion). I was hoping this would be better. It's Zach De La Rocha on keyboards and vocals and Jon Theodore on drums. I LOVE Jon Theodore (and never had a problem with RATM) but his drumming here really could've been done by anyone. It ends up sounding pretty much exactly like what you'd expect a Zach De La Rocha album to sound like.

nieh
09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/145744-subtle-announce-tour-remix-collaboration-record

<3<3
I hope the remix album is better than ExitingARM was. Also, who wants to see them play in NYC? They're not coming to Philly this time around, sadly.