PDA

View Full Version : Who killed Benazir Bhutto?

HornyPope
12-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Speculations go here.

Here is one source, one guess:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3487676,00.html

DexterWannabe
12-28-2007, 02:09 AM
O.J. Simpson did it.

wheelchairman
12-28-2007, 04:26 AM
I believe it was one of the many people who hate the Bhutto family's political record. No link though, just what I think is most likely. That and I have at least one pakistani friend who can't stand bhutto.

leo3375
12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Question: Who benefits? I have asked myself that questions and applied it to the possible suspects.

Al Qaida, aka "The Toilet:" Yes, they hate Bhutto but they also hate Musharraff. Why kill one and not the other? Nothing is gained in her death.

The Taliban: Again, no benefit from her death because Musharraff is still in power.

Musharraff: His greatest political threat is gone, giving him the greatest gain. Of course, sanctioning her assassination would not bode well for him. Which is why I am unsure of whether or not he ordered the hit. The most likely culprit is either someone who works for Musharraff or a loyalist.

"Terrorists" had nothing to gain from her death, while Musharraff's government saw the greatest benefit.

nieh
12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Terrorists don't have to gain anything from her death. There's a lot of people crazy enough to try to kill her simply for being a woman with power (even though she's not in charge, it's impossible to say she has no power over there).
I'm really not familiar with enough with her to say what I think is most likely. I've heard when she was in charge there was lots of corruption, but I don't know what happened or if she was really any more corrupt than anyone else or if she's just the one that gets called out on it.

wheelchairman
12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't know. Musharraf would have to be an idiot if he thought it would go unnoticed. (And clearly he hasn't been made more popular.)

If we must point a finger at someone, I would suggest that it's likely someone in the military or intelligence service was behind it. Since they would have the most to lose, with or without Musharraf they would want to be the backing force of government.

Still, I would place my money on someone who simply hated Bhutto.

leo3375
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Here's an article that breaks down the suspects, and who gained or lost due to her death:
http://unremarkablepolitics.blogspot.com/2007/12/assassination-of-pakistan-s-twice.html

But to summarize:
Religious extremists have nothing to gain despite their hatred of her. The majority of Pakistanis don't plan on voting for a hardline Muslim candidate. So that rules them out.

Former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had a good reason to go after her: his party was the key opposition to Bhutto's party in the upcoming elections. But he's been permanently barred from running for office because of a conviction in Saudi Arabia in 2000. Which is funny, because he was allowed to run in 2002. But because he was out of the running, and also opposed Musharraf, he also had nothing to gain.

Which leaves Musharraf. With the two biggest political parties out of the running, Musharraf gained the most from her death. As I said earlier, he would be a fool to sanction the hit. But someone within the Pakistani military or closely affiliated with Musharraf is the most likely. This would also explain why security was asked to stand down at Bhutto's final public appearance.

HornyPope
12-31-2007, 12:54 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qP_Ag1WiU7k

Inspiring words. They may kill my mother, but they will never take away our DEMOCRACY!!!

HornyPope
02-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Lol I read somewhere today it cost just a little over 7000usd to order the hit on Bhutto.