PDA

View Full Version : Jewish

Sham
01-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure if this thread belongs in Politics or General Chat, but I have been wondering forever; does being Jewish mean following the religion of Judaism, or being born, like an ethnicity or nationality? Is it like a race thing? Or is it strictly religion? If your parents are Jewish, are you automatically Jewish? Wikipedia and stuff hasn't really helped, and I'd like some opinions on it.

coke_a_holic
01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Being Jewish means following Judaism, people have just skewed it to be a nationality instead of a religion. It's not technically correct, but so many people think it is that it's not something you should worry about.

Sham
01-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Thank you, but I've been taught this history many times; didn't the Jewish (then called Hebrews) people exist before God gave them the Torah? Like, it became their own religion? They were the "chosen people", I think?

Endymion
01-05-2008, 02:28 PM
quit being such a jew.

Jakebert
01-05-2008, 04:24 PM
The Jews don't worship any specific God, they just worship the almighty dollar.

Sham
01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Can't you guys be serious?

wheelchairman
01-05-2008, 06:48 PM
The definition of words are social. So it can easily be different from the jewish community to that of the non-jewish community. The use of the word "jew" as describing ethnic "jews" may simply be the label put on by a non-jewish community. Or it may not. The term "ethnic jew" or "cultural jew" seems to stick despite the protest of religious jews. And as it seems to be an incredibly difficult religion to enter without a history in it. In fact it's actively discouraged. But that's fair enough, it's a lot to ask a guy to voluntary have part of his penis cut off.

Oh btw Sham, if you're circumcised, chicks won't enjoy having sex with you.

BustedKnuckles
01-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Oh btw Sham, if you're circumcised, chicks won't enjoy having sex with you.

Damn parents and their ability to damn guys when they are 8 days old...

JoY
01-06-2008, 03:51 AM
if your mom is Jewish, you're automatically Jewish. it's not how the non-Jewish community views it, it's how Jews view it. it has little to nothing to do with religion & at the same time it has everything to do with their religion. this whole fact made it possible for me to be born; my grandfather wouldn't have survived the war, if his wife hadn't been very very Aryan. then again, my grandfather wasn't a very religious man, so I guess the fact you're a Jew if your mom's one, does have a few downsides.

so it's more than just a religion you could "choose" to follow (as far as you choose to follow a religion), or are raised with.

edit; I feel like I need to explain it a bit further. just to set things straight; the ethnic side of Jewdom is not something that was made up during the second world war, or how non-Jewish communities view it.
the Jewish religion doesn't accept Jesus as the Messiah; according to them he was just another Jew, not the son of God. they're still waiting for the real Messiah. the Jews are the people of Israel, according to their own vision. it's the country where they belong, the promised land, & they feel a very strong connection to Israel. according to this concept the Jews are indeed a people, an ethnicy, the Israeli.

the thing is that Jewdom by Jewish laws follows the female line, but last names follow the male line. meaning I'm stuck with a German Jewish last name everyone mispronounces & misspells.