PDA

View Full Version : I need better advice

Homer
01-05-2008, 10:10 PM
lol parody thread.

Anyways, as none of you might know, I have a high and pretty singing voice, which I used to sing for my band. But that's beside the point.

Lately, when my band gets together to jam, we usually end up playing for three or sometimes even 4 hours straight. I'm not talking about playing a song, stopping for a while and then playing another, I'm talking about song after song after song. This really puts a strain on my throat, and recently I've been losing my voice a lot more often.

Now before you say "drink tea, dumbass." I must explain that the reason this thread was made is because I don't know which kind of tea's good. I'm a tea n00b. A tea-wee. A... a tea-pussy. I only like simple flavors. Hell, the only coffee I like (that I've tried) is French Vanilla.

So I ask you this: what tea is good for me? What tea will I actually be able to drink without being disgusted?

Apathy
01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
My experience with tea is that it sucks.

however my friend really likes this tea they sell near us called throat coat, made specifically for helping your throat feel better/more relaxed

I just like making fun of the name myself.

Lodat225
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
ICE TEA!

I win.

GreenTerror
01-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Chai Tea has lots of flavor, and can be sweetened as much as you want it to without diluting the flavor too much. If you just don't like tea in general, you could try herbal tea instead, which doesn't come from the traditional tea plant like green teas, black teas, and white teas do. It varies from flowers (like Chamomile), to fruit, even mint. There's an infinite amount of different teas out there, I'm sure you can find one you can enjoy.

JohnnyNemesis
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
lol parody thread.

Autofail. But a valiant effort nonetheless.

Llamas
01-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I hate tea. But I'll drink it if it's from www.teagardenic.com
I don't know if there's anything like that around you, but they make fruity teas that have all the benefits of tea, but mostly just taste like a fruit juice, with just a bit of the tea flavor. I would recommend that, since I think most people who aren't used to tea probably won't like something with a strong tea flavor right away. At least, that's how it usually works with coffee. I don't know.

Homer
01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't know of any tea shops in Winnipeg, but I guess I'm going to have to start looking. The only place that I know of that sells tea at all is Tim Horton's (Canada reprezent!), and I get the feeling that they don't have a wide assortment of herbal teas, 'fruit' teas, or teas in general.

www.teagardenic.com

Also, the link doesn't work. So, now I'm gonna go all Google on your ass.

Do you mean www.teagardeninc.com (http://www.teagardeninc.com)?

Yeah, I've never heard of Tea Garden before. I'll have to browse through the Winnipeg phone book. The fruity-ness at hand does sound appealing to me...

EDIT:
Checked the locations, and nope no Tea Garden near me. However, the mention of 'pearls' on the site got me thinking about a place I know called The Moment which serves bubble tea. So, by 'pearls' they mean tapioca balls, right? So yeah, thanks for reminding me about that place!

Llamas
01-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't know of any tea shops in Winnipeg, but I guess I'm going to have to start looking. The only place that I know of that sells tea at all is Tim Horton's (Canada reprezent!), and I get the feeling that they don't have a wide assortment of herbal teas, 'fruit' teas, or teas in general.

Also, the link doesn't work. So, now I'm gonna go all Google on your ass.

Do you mean www.teagardeninc.com (http://www.teagardeninc.com)?

Yeah, I've never heard of Tea Garden before. I'll have to browse through the Winnipeg phone book. The fruity-ness at hand does sound appealing to me...

EDIT:
Checked the locations, and nope no Tea Garden near me. However, the mention of 'pearls' on the site got me thinking about a place I know called The Moment which serves bubble tea. So, by 'pearls' they mean tapioca balls, right? So yeah, thanks for reminding me about that place!

I know tea garden doesn't exist outside the twin cities in Minnesota... I was saying that maybe there's something similar near you. And yeah, I did forget the "n" :P The pearls there have two options. One is a tapioca ball, which I'm not a huge fan of, but they're immensely popular. The other option is flavored little gummies in your tea. Those are fun, but I prefer to just drink and not have to chew. You should try that bubble tea place, sounds like a good option.

Homer
01-06-2008, 12:57 AM
I know tea garden doesn't exist outside the twin cities in Minnesota... I was saying that maybe there's something similar near you. And yeah, I did forget the "n" :P The pearls there have two options. One is a tapioca ball, which I'm not a huge fan of, but they're immensely popular. The other option is flavored little gummies in your tea. Those are fun, but I prefer to just drink and not have to chew. You should try that bubble tea place, sounds like a good option.

Yeah I realized what you were saying after I had posted that. It turns out I don't understand things well on these forums when I'm tired.

Anyways, yeah, I've tried out the bubble tea place around here before, but I've only had the slush with pearls in it, which isn't exactly tea. But your post reminded me that they actually serve tea. So, I guess I'll go there sometime in the near future, but I need suggestions on what are some good flavors. What do you like?

Also, flavored gummies in the tea?! I've never heard of such a thing! Sounds awesome.

the_GoDdEsS
01-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Drink plenty of fluids, for one thing. That should help a lot. As for tea, I don't really know. You could try common sage (salvia officinalis) which is good for sore throats. I've had problems with voice too since I use it in my profession a lot. And after I had been sick it takes me at least a week to get my proper voice back. Very annoying. My doctor usually recommends B5 (pantothenic acid) but I'm not so sure if it helps.

One clever thing you could do though is to go to the chemist's and simply ask for advice or ask them what kind of tea is good. I don't know what it's like in your country but here they are always willing to tell you and know the herbs as well.

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2008, 02:36 AM
The old singer's standard is black tea with honey. Lemon too, if you're phlegmy. I like slippery elm lozenges as well. They taste like ass if they're not tangerine or raspberry or wtf flavored, though, so caveat emptor. Also, be sure that during those jams, the water you are drinking is not cold. Room temperature is about as cold as you should go. Cold water, or cold beverages in general, make the vocal cords tighten up and make strain more likely.

calichix
01-06-2008, 02:43 AM
make half a cup of black tea and steep it forevs then microwave whiskey and honey then mix em together, m'boy.

oh also, mariah carey steams her voice with a steamer (I don't know how I know that). try inhaling more than usual in la duchas.

Nicole
01-06-2008, 02:51 AM
What on earth do you mean "with a steamer"? I'm thinking more along the lines of a nice hot shower with lots of steam, that's pretty good for the throat, I remember sitting in a really hot steamy bathroom when I had the croup, which is not very related to strained vocal chords.

calichix
01-06-2008, 03:31 AM
it's a machine that produces steam. aha whatd you think I meant?

Camel Filters
01-06-2008, 10:04 AM
rasberry ice tea

Revolver-2005?
01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I usually drink a straight bottle of honey and then wash it down with some black/green tea to further sooth it all. It tends to work for me at least, I lost my voice for a few days and tried that and almost instantly I was able to utter some audible words.

Meg
01-07-2008, 04:17 AM
lol parody thread.

Anyways, as none of you might know, I have a high and pretty singing voice, which I used to sing for my band. But that's beside the point.

Lately, when my band gets together to jam, we usually end up playing for three or sometimes even 4 hours straight. I'm not talking about playing a song, stopping for a while and then playing another, I'm talking about song after song after song. This really puts a strain on my throat, and recently I've been losing my voice a lot more often.

Now before you say "drink tea, dumbass." I must explain that the reason this thread was made is because I don't know which kind of tea's good. I'm a tea n00b. A tea-wee. A... a tea-pussy. I only like simple flavors. Hell, the only coffee I like (that I've tried) is French Vanilla.

So I ask you this: what tea is good for me? What tea will I actually be able to drink without being disgusted?

I recommend Lemsip. Seriously. It can do wonders. And it's an alternative to tea!! I'd also recommend two sugars with it =P

Nicole
01-07-2008, 04:50 AM
it's a machine that produces steam. aha whatd you think I meant?

I had no idea, that's why I asked.

Homer
01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
So, today I went to The Moment (that place I was talking about earlier) and here's the different types (not flavors) of tea they have: Milk Tea, Ice Tea, and Slush. So, I know what the last two are, but what exactly is Milk Tea? The place also doesn't have stuff like Chai tea or green tea. Just stuff like ilovellamas was talking about, which is mainly fruit flavors.

Chai Tea has lots of flavor, and can be sweetened as much as you want it to without diluting the flavor too much. If you just don't like tea in general, you could try herbal tea instead, which doesn't come from the traditional tea plant like green teas, black teas, and white teas do.

What exactly does Chai tea taste like? Same thing with green tea, black tea, etc. Is there really anything to compare those to, flavor-wise, or do I need to find out for myself?

Also, what I'm getting from this thread is black tea, honey, or something prescribed. I guess I'll have to try that.

Also, be sure that during those jams, the water you are drinking is not cold. Room temperature is about as cold as you should go. Cold water, or cold beverages in general, make the vocal cords tighten up and make strain more likely.

I had a feeling that this was adding to the problem, thanks for pointing that out.

Llamas
01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
black tea is stronger than green tea. Usually green tea is for people who aren't huge fans of tea in general. Chai tea isn't really comparable to anything, but it's a bit more gentle/popular to like, like green tea.

GreenTerror
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
So, today I went to The Moment (that place I was talking about earlier) and here's the different types (not flavors) of tea they have: Milk Tea, Ice Tea, and Slush. So, I know what the last two are, but what exactly is Milk Tea? The place also doesn't have stuff like Chai tea or green tea. Just stuff like ilovellamas was talking about, which is mainly fruit flavors.

What exactly does Chai tea taste like? Same thing with green tea, black tea, etc. Is there really anything to compare those to, flavor-wise, or do I need to find out for myself?

Wiki: Milk tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong-style_milk_tea)
Oh my god that looks good. Why have I not tried this?

Anyway, black tea is generally what real-brewed iced tea is that you'd normally get in a restaurant. And, as Llamas said, green tea isn't as strong as black tea. It basically has the same flavor, because it comes from the same place, it just isn't as oxidized as black tea. There's also white tea, the lightest/least strong tea there is flavor-wise because it is the least oxidized, or is picked when the leaf is very young.

Wiki: Chai Tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_tea)
Basically, Chai tea is spiced black tea. It's very flavorful and, in my opinion, probably the easiest to enjoy if you're generally not a tea drinker.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
If you're worried about your voice, the last thing you should be doing is consuming anything with dairy in it. Soy milk, maybe. But dairy coats the throat and encourages mucous production, so it will gum up the whole works if you drink tea with milk or anything milky.

black tea is stronger than green tea. Usually green tea is for people who aren't huge fans of tea in general. Chai tea isn't really comparable to anything, but it's a bit more gentle/popular to like, like green tea.

Black tea has a stronger taste, but has less caffeine than green tea and is therefore better for singers. Caffeine dries shit out. Chai tea is black tea with a ton of spices and is usually served super strong with sugar and a ton of milk--which makes it no good to drink while singing.

Jakebert
01-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I considered making a parody thread titled "I need butter advice", but I decided against it.

I feel I made the right choice.

Homer
01-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I considered making a parody thread titled "I need butter advice", but I decided against it.

I feel I made the right choice.

I don't know, I think it would've went well with the right post... ...

Anyways, it's settled. Thanks to the advice given from everyone (excluding JohnnyNemesis :mad:), I shall go out and get me some tea tomorrow. I'll start with either green tea or black tea, and see what I like from there.

I might post an update after my experience...