PDA

View Full Version : Once You Go Live...

JohnnyNemesis
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm not talking about seeing a band in concert, but rather concert albums and/or bootlegs. Are there any songs that you just can't go back to the album versions of because a live version you heard was just so fucking good?

The idea for this came to me while listening to two live versions of early and rare Depeche Mode songs on a bootleg taken from a show in Italy in 1984. The versions of "Puppets" and "Ice Machine" are so fucking good that they almost make the "Speak & Spell" album obsolete.

I think Nirvana's version of "School" from their "Muddy Banks of Wishkah" (did I get that album title right?) album also fall under this category.

And I'm sure I'll have more later.

But for now: opinions? Choices?

Harnum
01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
The White Stripes played Let's Build A Home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WVD3PqeNY) on Conan one time back in 2003-ish and Jack's guitar work is superb. It's an amazing version of this song. Better than the studio recorded one! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtQPG6YLyEg) (Let's Build A Home is only the first part of the video, obv.)

Mr. Gepetto
01-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Well I don't listen to that many live albums but I know what you mean. I like RATM's How I Could Just Kill a Man live feat. Cypress Hill a zillion times more than the version on the album.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I feel that way about "Country Feedback" and "I Took Your Name" by R.E.M. as well as almost any song by The Bears.

opivy21
01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
DMZ
Black Lips - I still listen to the studio versions, but they're not as good.

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Just about anything Oingo Boingo live beats justs about anything Oingo Boingo in the studio.

Meg
01-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Their are quite a few live nirvana songs that I much prefer to the "recorded" versions.

Before I forget, Duality and Wait and bleed are also songs that I much prefer live. God knows why. but whenever I listen to the album versions I always feel disappointed in some ways, and start "speaking" the bits that they "speak" on the live versions. Sad I know, but it's become quite a habit now.

Corpse
01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
A hell of a lot of Metallica's live stuff. These days they add in so much stuff I can't listen to the studio versions without hearing the extra stuff.

jacknife737
01-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Against Me! - Problems, We Laugh At Danger, T.S.R.

I still love the album versions, but the versions from their live disk are soooo much better.

ruroken
01-07-2008, 11:37 AM
The idea for this came to me while listening to two live versions of early and rare Depeche Mode songs on a bootleg taken from a show in Italy in 1984. The versions of "Puppets" and "Ice Machine" are so fucking good that they almost make the "Speak & Spell" album obsolete.

up plz

Every song on Mindless Self Indulgence's "Alienating Our Audience" is a million times better than their studio versions.

Superdope
01-07-2008, 11:54 AM
"You Can't Quit Me, Baby" is superior when played live. The studio version kicks so much ass it hurts, but when played live they always add new parts to it.

studio: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9eiVj-BaxDY
live: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9MPzbQigblk

Marco
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Angels - Robbie Williams

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for sharing folks. Good shit.

up plz

I'll PM you with it shortly.

nieh
01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Just about anything Oingo Boingo live beats justs about anything Oingo Boingo in the studio.

Truth.

Also, the live recording I used to have of Dirty Frank by Pearl Jam was a bajillion times better than the studio version that ended up on Lost Dogs.

Rag Doll
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Smashing Pumpkins - Heavy Metal Machine

i loved it on the album, but holyfuck....i think the album version is like nothing now.

Jakebert
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I feel that way about "Country Feedback" and "I Took Your Name" by R.E.M. as well as almost any song by The Bears.

"I Took Your Name" is easily #1 on that list for me. I never really liked the studio version that much, but the live version is just plain amazing. A lot of the "Around the Sun" songs are like that with me, too. Also, while I love the studio version of "Cuyahoga", the live version completely trumphs the studio one.

As for non-R.E.M. bands, there's a live version of "Gigantic" by the Pixies that has kind of killed the studio version for me. "Palmcorder Yajna" and "Alpha Incipiens" by the Mountain Goats also fit that. "Alpha" is completely redone and feels like a full song, which the studio version does not. "Yajna" works much better as a fast rock song than it does in the slowed down studio version.

mrconeman
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
The only Nirvana album I can still listen to is Unplugged in New York. It's due to how better they were in that recording session than anywhere else I'd ever heard them.

But yeah, there's definitely something about a great live performance that can make even great songs sound stale in the recorded version. Ozzy Osbourne's live album "Tribute" that Randy Rhoads played guitar on is my favourite live album of all time, Randy was just an un-realistically great live performer, even though his studio work is phenomenal too. They even did a few Black Sabbath covers, including the ever present Paranoid, and he certainly breathed new life into those older tunes. The version of Mr.Crowley on this album for example is far superior to the way it was on the recorded original.

Live versions of Echoes, Comfortably Numb, Mother and Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd spring to mind as better than the recorded ones.

Oh and Live Iron Maiden stuff where Bruce Dickinson is on vocals that one of the other singers done, he's always better, except on Phantom of The Opera.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Truth.

Except, though..."Private Life" and "Just Another Day." Except maybe "Just Another Day" at the farewell concert. But that wasn't on the album version of the last show.

nieh
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I still prefer the 'Alive' version of both (Just Another Day is close though, I don't think I ever heard the original studio version of that until just now) but I'm not sure if that qualifies as actually live.

BREAK
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
This never happens, except on those rare occasions when the studio version is really some crappy, undeveloped demo (Mission of Burma - "New Disco") or when the live version is a radical re-working of the original material. I prefer studio versions 9 out of 10 times mainly because the audience fucks it up for me.

nieh
01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I tend to prefer studio versions because they're normally tighter and have better mixing/production, though some bands get an extra bit of 'oomph' in their live performances that you don't get in the studio which is nice. More bands should do live-in-the-studio stuff like Oingo Boingo or ATDI because you get the best of both worlds then.

I just remembered, a year or two before the Green Album came out, there were lots of live recordings of not-yet-released Weezer songs popping up on Kazaa and some of those were actually pretty good whereas the versions that made it to the Green Album and Maladroit sucked (one that sticks out particularly is Take Control).

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Randy was just an un-realistically great live performer, even though his studio work is phenomenal too.

Yes. Yes, a thousand times, yes.

They even did a few Black Sabbath covers, including the ever present Paranoid

The live version of Paranoid that was included on Ozzy's single collection (The Ozzman Cometh) was absolutely amazing IMO. It wasn't better then the studio version, so it doesn't qualify for this thread, but it was so good that it's worth mentioning.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
"I Took Your Name" is easily #1 on that list for me. I never really liked the studio version that much, but the live version is just plain amazing.
I feel the same. The studio version just blended in with the rest of Monster, which isn't a particularly good thing since Monster wasn't a particularly good album.

I feel the same way about Country Feedback that you do about Cuyahoga. It's not that I dislike the studio version, it's more that the Perfect Square version is just so gawddamned amazing that the studio version is kind of irrelevant now. As for Cuyahoga, I think the live version is very good but I don't think it's that different (except for the organ), and it's quiet enough during certain parts that the crowd noises get on my nerves a bit.

Jakebert
01-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I just think the live version has a certain amount of energy that the studio version lacks a lot.

Llamas
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Their are quite a few live nirvana songs that I much prefer to the "recorded" versions.

Before I forget, Duality and Wait and bleed are also songs that I much prefer live. God knows why. but whenever I listen to the album versions I always feel disappointed in some ways, and start "speaking" the bits that they "speak" on the live versions. Sad I know, but it's become quite a habit now.

The sad part is that I knew you were talking about Slipknot :(

I love a LOT of music better live, because many of my favorite bands are actually phenomenal live. This is because, if I see a band live and they're not as good or better than on record, I lose respect for them. So with many of my favorite artists, I much prefer to listen to their live stuff.

Top examples, and why:

Regina Spektor - should be obvious if you know who she is, but she's just so much better live. Her voice kicks much more ass, she improvises, and she has many songs she does live that she's never recorded.

Dispatch - they're such a great jam band, and their albums lack the jam parts. They have a killer sax player and I love it when they make a song 8 minutes long, because they do it so well.

Sister Hazel - they sound less faggy. Ken's voice is raspy and strong, the bass is so much funkier and powerful, and the harmonies are so much more prominent.

Collective Soul - I mostly love their live album because they had a full youth orchestra play with them, which added SO much. And Ed has a much more rockish voice live.

Barenaked Ladies - holy shit. I almost hate listening to their studio stuff in comparison to live. I LOVE the bathroom sessions they did for youtube, where Ed sat in his bathroom at home (the acoustics are so awesome in there) and did acoustic versions of songs that fans requested. And their live shows... the banter, talk, improv, etc is just so damn fun. They're one of the best live acts I've ever known. And this is at least still somewhat prominent on "Rock Spectacle", their live album.

Chicago - I don't even know how to explain them. They owned in the 70s no matter what, but their horns were so killer live.

Hanson - my favorite album of theirs is probably the live one, except that there's a U2 cover on it. The only thing I dislike about their live stuff is that Isaac passes off a lot of his solos. But I think they're much tighter live, and their voices are so much richer.

Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio is my favorite album of theirs. I don't really know why... they're just so much better. Maybe I feel like it just rocks harder.

That's it for now. One thing I can definitely say is that I hate live rap. I hate, hate, hate it. I also find electronic music to be boring live.

0r4ng3
01-08-2008, 05:24 AM
The only live CD I have is Billy Talent's 666 (oh like you didn't see that coming). The songs sound generally the same live, minus the crowd, but just different enough to warrant more than one listen. Different, but not necessarily better or worse.