PDA

View Full Version : Moving

Sham
01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Whenever I listen to music, I prefer to be in a state of motion, or moving around. I like being in a car or bus. If I'm not, and I'm in my room, then I walk around my room with my iPod. It is really hard for me to still absolutely still and listen actively. I've been moving so much that it's started to become a habit, and I end up walking around my room a lot. Does anybody else have experiences like this?

Harnum
01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I can sit and listen to music at my computer, but other than that, I have to have some sort of movement (whether it be shitty dancing or the like). But the main thing is that I usually have to move. It seems unnatural to just sit and listen without any sort of response to music. Meh, I don't know..

BREAK
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD? Between this and your admission that you have a hard time sitting through full albums, I think it's fair to ask.

Sham
01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Actually, I've started to listen to full albums, and I've been enjoying it a lot, and will continue doing so. However, I still think it is pretty hard to just sit still. I've never been diagnosed with ADD, but then again I never asked the doctor. But it's like Harnum said; it's pretty hard to listen without a physical response. Not like dancing, but movement, you know what I'm saying?

coke_a_holic
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't feel a need to walk around when I listen to music, but I do tap out rhythms and like to walk in tempo with the music (though it makes me look ridiculous). Driving requires music, definitely.

Camel Filters
01-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I can't just sit still while I listen to music. I need to be doing something. Most of the time's I'm listening to music on my computer but I f I'm listening to music in my room, I usually play my gameboy advanced.

Harnum
01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't feel a need to walk around when I listen to music, but I do tap out rhythms and like to walk in tempo with the music (though it makes me look ridiculous)

I've done this more than once, and I don't understand the walking thing. That's really weird. =\

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Whenever I listen to music, I prefer to be in a state of motion, or moving around. I like being in a car or bus. If I'm not, and I'm in my room, then I walk around my room with my iPod. It is really hard for me to still absolutely still and listen actively. I've been moving so much that it's started to become a habit, and I end up walking around my room a lot. Does anybody else have experiences like this?

Of all the things I've ever heard about somebody doing something similar I do, it's never been this specefic. I lovelovelove listening to music in a car or bus, it makes me never want to reach my destination. And I do the exact same thing when I'm in my room. I grab my iPod and pace, in a way.

The only reason why I don't do it when I'm on the computer is because I'm actually doing something else, besides listening to music, when I'm on the computer. Sometimes, when I'm not on any websites and just have iTunes up, I'll pace around my computer.

wheelchairman
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I would be surprised if people just sat down and listened to music. But who knows maybe some people do.

Music is simply in the background for me, I do other "primary" things while listening to music, it is never the primary activity in itself. That would be fucking boring, and no I don't have ADD.

Sham
01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Of all the things I've ever heard about somebody doing something similar I do, it's never been this specefic. I lovelovelove listening to music in a car or bus, it makes me never want to reach my destination. And I do the exact same thing when I'm in my room. I grab my iPod and pace, in a way.

The only reason why I don't do it when I'm the computer is because I'm actually doing something else, besides listening to music, when I'm the computer. Sometimes, when I'm not on any websites and just have iTunes up, I'll pace around my computer.

Holy crap, I do like all of that. Unfortunately, my floow creaks a lot so I can't do it at night.

I would be surprised if people just sat down and listened to music. But who knows maybe some people do.

Music is simply in the background for me, I do other "primary" things while listening to music, it is never the primary activity in itself. That would be fucking boring, and no I don't have ADD.

That's weird, music is usually always the primary activity for me. I feel I need to do that to be able to understand the music, if not, it becomes indistinguisabe. It also makes it hard to concentrate on what I'm doing.

Jakebert
01-09-2008, 03:05 PM

I don't do it as much as I used to, but I do this. Granted, most of the time I do it, I'm doing it laying outside looking at the sky or something like that, but I do consider the music the main focus of the action.

wheelchairman
01-09-2008, 07:40 PM
That's weird, music is usually always the primary activity for me. I feel I need to do that to be able to understand the music, if not, it becomes indistinguisabe. It also makes it hard to concentrate on what I'm doing.

I used to have that hang up too when I was 14-17. I would listen to an entire album through once, while reading the lyrics with it, so that I would understand the songs.

Later on I realized that most band singers are dumbasses with nothing important to say. These days I listen to what pleases me out of what people have recommended. If I catch lyrics that I like, then I tend to look them up online to see them in their entirety.

I think this thread is pretty interesting. I had absolutely no idea that people just sat and listened to music. My god that sounds boring. I mean the only time I do that, I'm also reading a book.

Sidewinder
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm always multi-tasking, whether music related or not, so no, I don't just "sit". Driving is my favorite music listening time, though I don't have an iPod jack (yet!). The only time I don't do something while listening is when I'm laying in bed about to fall asleep.

Rag Doll
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM

yeah, i basically agree with this completely.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Music has been one of my favorite things ever since I was 8 years old. At the age of 5, I was sneaking my mom's flute out of her room to play it. When I was 8, I started sneaking my dad's trumpets. When I was 7, I started singing in the school choir to pass the time til I was 10 and could finally pick up an instrument. Age of 11, I picked up another instrument, and then another at the age of 13. I had cassette tapes filled with songs off the radio, songs from my brother's CDs, songs I played myself, etc. Since I've always been incredibly musical my entire life, I've always loved just sitting and listening to music. I very rarely just sit and listen to music with lyrics, or rock/pop music, though. Usually when I do that, it's jazz, classical, etc, where the music is much more intricate and detailed.

I love car rides and train rides and such, because they give me an excuse to do nothing but listen to music. I like to do it at home, too, but I can't do it very often because I always know there's something more important to be done. But I find listening to music to be far more interesting than watching a movie or a tv show. I always fall behind on the shows I watch, because so often I think, "Man, I could watch the next episode of that show... maybe after this album is over." And it draws on like that.

As far as movement goes, I only like to *really* move to music that is meant to make me want to move. Dance music. Techno. A lot of rap. I can't just sit and listen to music like that, as the music itself doesn't have enough substance- it just makes me want to move.

I notoriously tap my foot and such, because as a lifelong band member, it's second nature. I also (not intentionally) walk in-time with music all the time, but that's second nature due to 8 years of marching band.

nieh
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
It's really rare that I just sit and listen to music anymore, but there's still lots of times (like now) where I think it's the primary activity and I'm doing something else in the background (using the computer, eating, driving, etc.) is secondary.

Nicole
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I can only listen to music if it's stuff that I am really into, or I'm drunk. Otherwise I have to have something else to do at the same time.

I have no attention spans for albums unless it's discovering an album by one of my favourite bands. I'm a big fan of skipping over the slower songs and jumping to the better paced ones that rock my socks off. I'm a total ADD person with music, I only break the habit when I've got company because I know it's totally annoying to go halfway through a song "Oh man, lets listen to this one" *clicks skip*.

Jakebert
01-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Sitting and listening to music really just requires really good music. If music is captivating enough, then it's easy to just sit down and listen, or at least it is for me.

There's a lot of music that I can't do it to, though. Punk rock, even when I was obsessed with it at the age of 15, has never been able to hold my attention long enough to really sit and listen. But I can't count how many times I've sat and listened to certain Pink Floyd or R.E.M. albums.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Sitting and listening to music really just requires really good music. If music is captivating enough, then it's easy to just sit down and listen, or at least it is for me.

There's a lot of music that I can't do it to, though. Punk rock, even when I was obsessed with it at the age of 15, has never been able to hold my attention long enough to really sit and listen. But I can't count how many times I've sat and listened to certain Pink Floyd or R.E.M. albums.

Exactly. I almost feel convinced that the people who find it strange to enjoy sitting and listening to music just don't listen to good enough music, but I didn't say it because I thought it sounded too elitist. But I really think it's true.

I agree, when I was really into punk, I still definitely couldn't just sit and listen to it. Right now I'm listening to Britney Spears' greatest hits. This is definitely not music I could just listen to- totally background music to doing other stuff. But I find that when I put on something like Dexter Gordon or Gustav Holst, I can't concentrate on anything else. I get too distracted by the music and just find myself focusing on that.

Pink Floyd I've recently learned is great stuff to just sit and listen to. But you definitely have to listen to a full album. And Pink Floyd is music that I really can't just have in the background, I have to listen attentively.

Betty
01-10-2008, 01:39 AM
See? Now I think YOU guys are weird! Who DOESN'T just sit and listen to music? Weird, weird, weird.

Like Brianna, I fell in love with music in my teens. It was around that same time that I fell out of love with reading. Well, not really, but I just pushed it aside and spent much more of my time listening to music. I spent hours and hours and hours laying on my bed with my headphones on just listening to albums. Punk rock albums.

I'll admit I don't do it as much anymore, but I still definitely sit down at my computer and just listen to songs. Not even doing anything else, just listening. Or sometimes I'll come home from the bar, when I'm in one of those semi-drunk stages but not immediately pass out drunk. At that point I might go online, but sometimes I'll just grab my ipod and get all excited and lie down and listen to an album that I just got into, and usually pass out halfway through. Also, when nobody's home, and especially when I've had a few drinks, but even when I haven't, I love to have little dance party's with myself and just dance around. Or sometimes I'd have mornings where my boyfriend and I would just lie in bed and listen to albums or songs, not doing anything else. Sitting around and listening to music with people is fun too.

Like I said, I don't just sit and listen to music very often anymore... mostly cause I just don't feel like I have the time. But I listen to music when I walk places or when I take the bus and at that point I'm mostly focussed on what I'm listening to.

Llamas
01-10-2008, 01:49 AM
See? Now I think YOU guys are weird! Who DOESN'T just sit and listen to music? Weird, weird, weird.
YES YES YES YES!!!

Like Brianna, I fell in love with music in my teens. It was around that same time that I fell out of love with reading. Well, not really, but I just pushed it aside and spent much more of my time listening to music. I spent hours and hours and hours laying on my bed with my headphones on just listening to albums. Punk rock albums.
This reminds me. My first two albums were Alanis ones when I was 12. I did the same thing you did with mine. I'd lay in bed for hours, listening to these two albums over and over.

Also, music replaced reading for me, too. It's always been a replacement for tv shows, too. I really only frequently watch shows if I have someone to watch them with, because if I'm alone, I'd rather be listening to music. And reading... yeah, I still enjoyed it for a while, but most of the time I'd read, I'd be thinking about some certain music I wish I was listening to. And if I put the music on while reading, I wouldn't be able to direct my attention away from the music.

Also, when nobody's home, and especially when I've had a few drinks, but even when I haven't, I love to have little dance party's with myself and just dance around. Sitting around and listening to music with people is fun too.
omg <3 <3

Sometimes when I have music on while I'm driving, I get distracted by the music and realize I've not been really paying attention to driving for a few minutes... it's bad news, so I have to be really careful about what music I play while driving. It has to be music that doesn't captivate my attention. And if I'm walking with my mp3 player going, sometimes I'll walk right past my destination because I'm so focused.

Betty
01-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Alanis was the first album I got too. But I didn't listen to it that obsessively. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but just wasn't full fledged obsessive yet.

The Offspring was the first stuff I listened to obsessively (that's how I ended up here!), but that pretty much coincided with my getting into punk rock and listening to that in general.

Music with driving is pretty much the ultimate listening experience. I hope I'm still an okay driver with good music. I think I am. If anything it's bad for the speeding. But then sometimes I don't even want to speed cause why speed to get somewhere if that just means you'll get there sooner? Sometimes I make an extra lap around the block so I can listen to the next song (while singing at the top of my lungs of course).

Also, concerts. I go to listen. Not to socialize. I've been to lots of shows alone. And would still go alone. Actually it's nice to not have to worry if random friend I dragged along is actually enjoying him/herself. It's nice to have company during the intermissions though.

Llamas
01-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Americana was probably the first album after my Alanis ones that obsessed about. And the Offspring opened me up to all the punk rock I then got into.

I don't speed when listening to good music, for the same reason that I don't want to get to my destination. I have taken longer routes and such in order to listen longer, or I'll sit in the car after arriving until a song/album finishes.

I'm also the same with concerts. When I was 19, I went to see the Offspring with my friend (back when I was still kind of obsessed). She wanted to get closer to the stage so we could mosh (or as close to it as you can get to moshing at an Offspring concert). I wanted to stay back so I could actually listen to the music. And I also have almost gone to several shows alone before, but then wasn't able to. Finally, I have never participated in pre-concert drinking rituals. I always want to be sober for concerts. Unless it's like, some show I go to cause it's cheap and a good time. Like when I saw Everclear, or the time I saw Evanescence. Then whatever! But if it's someone I'm really a fan of, I want to be sober, and I want to listen to the music. I also have a tendency to hate screaming that occurs during a song. Between songs is great and fine. But I hate when people screaming interrupts a song.

edit: right now is a perfect example of how I listen to music. It's 3am and I'm tired. I wanna go to bed. But I want to keep listening to this album. Nobody is online to talk to, I have nothing to really do. So I will probably sit here for another half hour or so, just listening.

Question for all you non-music-sitters: Do you ever just sit and think? I don't see how sitting and listening to music is any different, as listening to music stimulates one's mind and causes one to think.

Tizzalicious
01-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Wow, I didn't know people actually sat down and just listened to music either. Like some other people said, I only do when I'm in the train or bus or whatever. Or when I have a new Hanson album. Otherwise it's just playing while I do other things.

T-6005
01-10-2008, 04:08 AM
I just find it odd that you people fall into one or the other category. I do both. I sit and listen to music without doing anything else quite often, and then when I get up and leave I just grab the mp3 player and play music while I'm out. It often grabs my attention, but I seem to have fairly reliable autopilot and I don't drive.

Also, even if I'm doing something else, whatever I'm listening to isn't necessarily background to me - I automatically take note, as I believe many people do. But that doesn't mean I have to be paralyzed with focus on the song.

Sham
01-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Do you guys ever pace and stand around your room, with music being the main focus? It's not that the music isn't good enough; I don't dance like a maniac or anything. I just walk around. I CAN just sit, but I rather wouldn't. It's hard to explain, but I just feel so restrained. I haven't tried sitting in a while though. But I'd just rather move around because it feels more natural. Like I can "act out" the emotions sort of.

mrconeman
01-10-2008, 05:18 AM

Exactly.

Pink Floyd I've recently learned is great stuff to just sit and listen to. But you definitely have to listen to a full album. And Pink Floyd is music that I really can't just have in the background, I have to listen attentively.
I love you.

Anyway, yeah. I just sit and listen to music quite a lot, I honestly think it's the best way to enjoy music, and entirely agree that some music is much more appropriate for it than other types. I kind of have music on constantly, and by that I'm not trying to out-awesome anyone or anything, I think in this day and age it's very possible for everyone, and probably most people do. When I'm walking by myself, MP3 player, when I'm in school, MP3 player, when I'm in the house CD's, or playlists at the computer, I leave music on most nights when I'm going to bed too. What I'm showing by that is that yes, I agree with Thibault, it doesn't have to be one or the other, music is great for different situations.

Anyway, the reason I think it's the best way to enjoy music is because it's an entirely different way to do so, it may not be for everyone of course, but I do think you get much more musical gratifacation from it this way. It's hard to explain, but uh... well, like, right now, I'm writing this post, and theres music in the backround, I'm not enjoying it as much as I could be because I'm spending time thinking of what to write, it doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it, it's giving me backround noise, and I can tune it in or out, it's relaxing to have there, but if I was just sitting listening attentively I would be hearing much more layers of music than the obvious, and hell I might even learn something.

It's always been something I've done with more elaborate music. More so in recent years, especially now that I actually have to do so for school, we have oral classes where we basically sit for 40 minutes and listen to different movements of a piece of music, and you absolutely have to pay attention, because you're writing about it for 20 minutes after that.

wheelchairman
01-10-2008, 05:52 AM
It has nothing to do with the quality of the music Brianna/Jake/Cone/Betty. For I too have a pink floyd cd. And if I sat down and listened to it, I would still be bored. I've been to concerts where I got a chance to listen to a famous violinist, still bored.

I like music, but just sitting and listening to it? I have a thousand better things to do than that. Like playing a video game. Or napping.

mrconeman
01-10-2008, 06:11 AM
I don't think the quality of the music effects it too much, I was just saying some is more appropriate than others. I do think it's a little elitist to say people aren't listening to good music just because they can't just sit and listen without doing anything else.

People just have different ways of listening to music is all, this may also come off as elitist, but people who actively play an instrument are more likely to just sit and listen, it's part of the job description, you have to sometimes, and like I say, it's a good way to learn things.

wheelchairman
01-10-2008, 06:23 AM
People just have different ways of listening to music is all, this may also come off as elitist, but people who actively play an instrument are more likely to just sit and listen, it's part of the job description, you have to sometimes, and like I say, it's a good way to learn things.

Well that's not stuck up. That makes sense. If you like fiddling around with music, you'll appreciate the ways others have fiddled around with it too. The first point made about the quality of music, that was elitist because it shows that some people lack the ability to put themselves into the shoes of others.

Although who am I to talk, until last night I didn't think that people just sat down and listened to music. Although now I accept it as fact, albeit strange.

Llamas
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
It has nothing to do with the quality of the music Brianna/Jake/Cone/Betty. For I too have a pink floyd cd. And if I sat down and listened to it, I would still be bored. I've been to concerts where I got a chance to listen to a famous violinist, still bored.

I like music, but just sitting and listening to it? I have a thousand better things to do than that. Like playing a video game. Or napping.

I suppose it's not necessarily about quality of music, but it is about how you appreciate music. I'd consider playing a video game a huge waste of time in comparison. I get nothing from playing video games, and rarely enjoy playing them except as a social activity. I would much rather listen to music.

I adore going to symphony orchestra performances. You sit in a chair for 2 1/2 hours and listen to music. There's not really much to see on stage, it's mostly listening. It's incredibly rude to talk or make noise during, and you're only to applaud between songs. Many people don't find this fun, but those performances always sell out. Even just my University's orchestras brought in a few thousand listeners. I guess I'm just shocked that people find it surprising, when to me, it's more common for people to do this. However, it does stand that, as a musician all my life, a great portion of my friends are also musicians and therefore enjoy just listening to music as I do.

wheelchairman
01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
This then suggests that I might select my friends on the criteria that they don't sit and listen to music. I don't know actually. I've never asked. We never do that together, ever. hmm I wonder...

Anyways the video game thing was to emphasize how pointless it is to sit and listen to music while doing nothing else. Hence why I also mentioned napping.

Anyways while these concerts seem to sell out. I think it's an enormous stretch to say that the majority of the population regularly attends concerts. Many people, but a small group.

DeAtHsTaR
01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
When I'm at show, I am ALWAYS either headbanging, moshing, or skanking. I can't NOT move to live music. Unless it's acoustic or something.

Jakebert
01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Well that's not stuck up. That makes sense. If you like fiddling around with music, you'll appreciate the ways others have fiddled around with it too. The first point made about the quality of music, that was elitist because it shows that some people lack the ability to put themselves into the shoes of others.

This is exactly it. I like to really think about music, listen to all of the layers that go into making a song, ect.

Mr. Gepetto
01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I am usually moving in some manner, though I'm normally singing along or dancing in some way. But when I'm on the computer, like now, I'll usually just be listening while typing or clicking.

jacknife737
01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
My two favorite ways of listening to music are 1) to lie on my bed in the dark, and 2) go for a walk in a park. So I suppose I enjoy both movement and stillness, although both do offer slightly different experiences. With the first my focus is solely on my sense of hearing, while with the second the music provides the “soundtrack” to my walk, but nonetheless my focus is primarily on the music, rather then walking/ observing my surroundings.

Dead Kennedy
01-12-2008, 05:01 AM
When im in bed, i just listen and then i explode, i grab a tennis racket and thinking its guitar a bang a shit outta it. When im at pc, i just slightly nod with my head. When im at concert, i dance pogo (i just jump in the same place) and i growl.

HornyPope
01-12-2008, 08:39 AM
I listen to music either when i'm in front of the computer, or in my car, or at a social event where the music is playing. Under the first two circumstances, i'm generally seated. Only when i'm at a social event that I find myself "doing something" at the sound of music, but very seldom in-sync as I don't really like dancing to music.

Apathy
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I enjoy stillness. If I'm doing something most of the time I forget about the music, and It'll be halfway through the cd and I'll have inadvertently missed my favorite song.

I can listen to music while I'm driving or walking, or on the computer, but anything more and I become too distracted.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
It has nothing to do with the quality of the music Brianna/Jake/Cone/Betty.
This appeared wrong.

I suppose it's not necessarily about quality of music, but it is about how you appreciate music.
Until I read this.

But what Jakebert said is still true. The music matters. His examples of punk and R.E.M. are perfect.

Do you guys ever pace and stand around your room, with music being the main focus? It's not that the music isn't good enough; I don't dance like a maniac or anything. I just walk around. I CAN just sit, but I rather wouldn't. It's hard to explain, but I just feel so restrained. I haven't tried sitting in a while though. But I'd just rather move around because it feels more natural. Like I can "act out" the emotions sort of.
I think we're the only ones, dude.

When I'm at show, I am ALWAYS either headbanging, moshing, or skanking. I can't NOT move to live music. Unless it's acoustic or something.
I don't think this is what Sham intended. Though things like this have proved to be incorrect earlier in the thread, I have a feeling this is a pretty popular case.

I am usually moving in some manner, though I'm normally singing along or dancing in some way. But when I'm on the computer, like now, I'll usually just be listening while typing or clicking.
Yes. And sometimes I'll kind of sing and dance in my basement alone. Embarassing, yes. But I enjoy it.

My two favorite ways of listening to music are 1) to lie on my bed in the dark, and 2) go for a walk in a park. So I suppose I enjoy both movement and stillness, although both do offer slightly different experiences. With the first my focus is solely on my sense of hearing, while with the second the music provides the “soundtrack” to my walk, but nonetheless my focus is primarily on the music, rather then walking/ observing my surroundings.
Another statement I can really relate too.

I literally lie on my bed in the dark without any chances of falling asleep, but I have to listen to some really good (?) music. I probably couldn't listen to The Offpspring, Billy Talent, Chiodos, or Lil Wayne in this matter, but Queens of the Stone Age, Depeche Mode, Minus The Bear, and Lupe Fiasco, yes.

You know, all through middle school, I loved riding the bus to and from school. It was 40 total minutes every day of just listening to the music. Since then I got rides from friends. And just today, I rejected a ride from a friend so I could walk home and listen to my iPod. Keep in mind this is January in Michigan; there's snow on the ground. I'm just that into it.

Sinister
01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
most often I find myself headbanging, foot-tapping, air-guitar or -drumming, or walking to the beat (which is quite, I dunno, "majestic" with stuff like Wherever I May Roam).

Sham
01-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Lil Wayne

Funny thing is, I just got his album, and I listened to it in the dark, on my bed.

Weriiiddddddd.