PDA

View Full Version : Smoking '08

Meg
01-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Just out of interest, who on these boards decided they'd give up smoking as a new year's resolution for 2008 and failed miserably? I know 3 people who tried it unsuccessfully. I'm actually glad to say I haven't touched one [This year] myself! *proud* :D

Mota Boy
01-09-2008, 02:41 AM
That was my 2006 New Year's resolution. It lasted three months. In 2007, I gave it up for Lent after finding myself roaring drunk, broken-hearted and sucking down a cigarette butt I found in an ashtray for chemical consolation. I've smoked three times since - a couple drags each time from a joint rolled with tobacco - and each time I've felt a nicotine craving clawing at the inside of my sternum every morning for almost two weeks, and I hardly smoked. I can't imagine attempting to get off a serious habit.

Nicole
01-09-2008, 02:49 AM
I seriously considered making that my resolution. As it was the idea failed to even make it that far into the preparation proccess. I wish I had your willpower, but I've never been a resolution maker.

I tried quitting as a resolution about 3 years ago. Failed miserably, about 2 days in, tops.

Meg
01-09-2008, 03:00 AM
I actually stopped smoking a few weeks before new year, and i'm still managing! =]

My dad said he would, but he's been smoking for years. He lasted about a day I think.

Nicole
01-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Well done! Really hard to give up unless you're motivated as anything to pull it off. I've always failed because I quit and then think about a couple of weeks later "okay, I can have one, I'm not addicted anymore." Wrong. Gets me every time. Laugh at my crappy logic if you like.

Meg
01-09-2008, 03:19 AM
No I perfectly understand. I first started when I was 12. I've quit for a long time a couple of times, then done exactly what you've done =P

I think it always helps when you're around people who don't smoke though. Almost puts you off in a way. Same as it's harder if you're around people who do smoke.
I think that was one of the problems for my dad and his partner, as they're both heavy smokers. Having said that Mandy said this morning that after the last one out of her packet she's going to try quitting again :p

killer_queen
01-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Actually starting to smoke is in my 2008 new year's resolution list. I have been trying to start since I was 13 but I've always failed.

TBD
01-09-2008, 05:20 AM
I did it is working so far, but I didn't smoke all that often anyways.

wheelchairman
01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I love the waterpipe. It's an integrated part of my evening rituals, I wouldn't trade it for the world. You pussies.

Sunny
01-09-2008, 09:04 AM
my mens quit smoking cigarettes like a month ago, although it had little to do with new years. he's doing good so far.

yay mens! :]

Meg
01-09-2008, 09:08 AM
It always makes me laugh how often people choose new year to "start" quitting smoking. Like they need some kind of milestone to give them a kick start.
Same with any "new year's resolution" really.

Mota Boy
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I also used to share your cynicism, then I realized that it's not like we spontaneously make resolutions throughout the year (though in years past, that has been my New Year's resolution exactly). But now, if a symbolic milestone approaches, since we're psychologically conditioned to take the date more seriously, I say why not take advantage of it and set some fun goals for yourself? No point in wasting a chance to make yourself in a better/more interesting person merely because the date is arbitrary.

Meg
01-09-2008, 09:32 AM
But that's what I mean. Why is it that we take it upon ourselves to always make a resolution at new year's [however small] and not throughout the year? What makes new year so special, other than it supposingly being a fresh start?

Jakebert
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I've tried to take up smoking on a regular basis since I was about 15, and I really gave it a shot this year. For some reason I'll do it for about 2-3 weeks at a time, then get incredibly bored with it and I won't smoke anything for a few months.

Meg
01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
So on one side we have people trying to give up. And on the other we have people trying to make it habit..... interesting....

Andy
01-09-2008, 10:11 AM
You can't smoke anyway; You've not got the money.

Jakebert
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
So on one side we have people trying to give up. And on the other we have people trying to make it habit..... interesting....

Actually, I really like the way it is now. I don't feel addicted to it, and I've never gotten the physical cravings or headaches when I don't get them. It's more of "well, I'm kind of bored...hmm, maybe I'll smoke".

The only exception to the rule is when I drink. I need to smoke when I drink.

ruroken
01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Why do you have to smoke when you drink? Does it keep you from getting a hangover?

Mota Boy
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
But that's what I mean. Why is it that we take it upon ourselves to always make a resolution at new year's [however small] and not throughout the year? What makes new year so special, other than it supposingly being a fresh start?You're missing the point.

Why do we give gifts on Christmas? Why do we dress up on Halloween? Why do [Americans] set off fireworks on the 4th of July? Why do we get overly romantic on Valentine's? Why do we get drunk on St. Paddy's Day?

New Year's is a holiday devoted to making resolutions. That doesn't mean that we don't resolve to do things throughout the year, for we do it all the time. People quit smoking or start exorcising or study a new skill at random intervals. Saying that New Year's is a special day for making resolutions doesn't mean that we can't, or don't make resolutions throughout the year - we just don't set aside a specific time to do it. We humans like to make a big deal out of certain things - it means we're devoting more of our time and energy to an action or emotion we normally would, it means we have a greater chance at success or fuller enjoyment. New Year's is a celebration of a new start. It's completely arbitrary - of course, everyone knows that. The point is, the New Year is a symbolic time to reassess your life, think over how you'd like to improve upon what you have and then seek out those improvements. Because the calendar rolls back to zero, we're psychologically relieved and, if in the proper mood, revitalized. (If you don't choose to see it this way, then it's no one's fault but your own).

Certainly, we could make resolutions throughout the year... alternately, we could not celebrate New Years at all, and not ever have a special day to collectively make them. Which would you prefer? By hashing on the arbitrariness, you're missing the point - life is arbitrary. Life is complicated and complex and we fall into random routines to make it less so. We eat at arbitary hours (you don't think animals have a concept of breakfast, lunch and dinner, do you?), we end schooling at arbitrary ages, we divide the year into arbitrary segments and take arbitrary days off. The celebration of your birthday is completely arbitrary (come on, you're stuck on one number the whole year, only to have it bumped up in an instant? The day you wake up and you're eighteen, you suddenly become a full-fledged adult) And while all this arbitrary life happens around up, we get caught up in the minutia of day-to-day existence and often fail to set aside time to reflect on our lot. New Year's is an opportunity to do so, and do so collectively, so there's peer pressure to go with the psychological clean slate. Smirking at it merely because it's there is absolutely silly, and a lost opportunity.

/personally, I'm finally going to set aside time to learn how to surf

wheelchairman
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Because sometimes your lungs itch in a way that can't be scratched by beer.

And when you're drinking, they itch even more.

Sunny
01-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I also used to share your cynicism, then I realized that it's not like we spontaneously make resolutions throughout the year (though in years past, that has been my New Year's resolution exactly). But now, if a symbolic milestone approaches, since we're psychologically conditioned to take the date more seriously, I say why not take advantage of it and set some fun goals for yourself? No point in wasting a chance to make yourself in a better/more interesting person merely because the date is arbitrary.

absolutely.

people seem to really love and treasure random dates; birthdays, holidays, anniversaries. most rituals we engage in are pretty damn arbitrary. *shrugs*

EDIT gah i didn't see Mota's post! oh well. ;p

JohnnyNemesis
01-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Actually starting to smoke is in my 2008 new year's resolution list. I have been trying to start since I was 13 but I've always failed.

Why? I'm not gonna rip you apart or anything. But why?

Camel Filters
01-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I've been trying to quit smoking for the last couple of months. I've cut down on smoking though. I've only been smoking maybe 3 or 4 cigerettes a day. I bought 2 packs on December 31st and I still have 3 more out of my second pack left. Usually 2 packs only lasts me about 3 or 4 days.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 12:08 PM
But then your clever screen name will lose its meaning :(

edit: bring back wishomie?

T-6005
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I quit smoking back in October. It's not such a big deal, but then again I wasn't a big smoker beforehand, either. I had one lapse when I was drunk, and then I stopped. I used to think they went well together, but when I smoke and drink I feel much worse in the morning than with simply the drink. So I stopped.

It wasn't difficult for me, but I imagine that if I was ever to quit drinking it would be practically impossible.

Jakebert
01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Why do you have to smoke when you drink? Does it keep you from getting a hangover?

I don't know why, but as soon as I feel the effects of alcohol, the first thing that goes through my mind is "I want to smoke". I know a lot of people who are the same way.

Nicole
01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
In my mind I know that heaps of people that fuck up their new years resolutions, it's a put off. I make semester resolutions, like when school goes back I'm going to stop smoking pot senselessly. Works like a charm. Or using my birthday as the point when I'm definitely going to be driving. Also works fabulously.

Choosing new years as a resolution date seems set up to fail, to me. Its like if i pick another date, I'm more likely to succeed, and it's a more well thought out decision rather than oh crap, its year years, I better make a change in my lifestyle of sorts. That's just my psychological makeup, if getting in on the whole group resolution thing helps you to succeed, more power to you. It doesn't have the same effect on me.

On a positive note, surfing sounds like a ton of fun. I remember the first and last time I tried that, went on this surfing camp with a bunch of guys, we had this teacher for surfing who was obsessed with saying "okay guys?" to the point where he would finish giving the rundown on how to surf and one of the people in the group would say "30 times".

killer_queen
01-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Why? I'm not gonna rip you apart or anything. But why?
I was half kidding actually. I can't start smoking at this age, that would be stupid. I don't even like smoking. I can hardly stand the smell of it. But I just wish I was a smoker. It's very childish and stupid, that's for sure but I grew up in a house where everyone used to smoke and I used to find it very cool back then. Unfortunately I still find it cool. I know I won't start smoking because cigarettes are disgusting. But if I didn't find them so disgusting I would start smoking now. I don't know why. Sorry, I couldn't give you a proper answer.

JoY
01-10-2008, 05:21 AM
if I made it my new years resolution to quit smoking, I'd do it because a new year had started & not so much for myself. I know the attempt to quit smoking would fail, if I don't try at my own time when I'm ready & really done with the habit.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Stop smoking whaaat exacly?

And the only time I ever smoke these days is when I'm drinking an seeing as it's now banned in all the pubs an clubs, I don't think I'm gonna get to smoke with the drink anymores!

JoY
01-10-2008, 07:23 AM
yeah yeah, so you smoke pot & it makes you supercool. we got the hint.

Meg
01-10-2008, 07:52 AM
it's now banned in all the pubs an clubs

It's technically banned [in England] in any public place that is 75% enclosed. I live in a pub, so I know just how badly some of the pubs and clubs have taken the knock-backs from the smoking ban.

And again, this was another incentive date for many to quit smoking. Another try and fail attempt by my dad actually.

[And lol at an earlier mota boy post. he said exorcising, but i'm assuming he meant exercising!]

And Andy's right, I definitely don't have the money for smoking anymore. Another reason for me to keep on with my quit.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Actually I don't anymore. Only smoke normal ciggerates, an that's when I'm pissed.

Jakebert
01-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I just bought smokes this afternoon. Strawberry mini-cigars, for my drive back to college on Sunday. I needed something that I could smoke in my car without my car smelling like ash, and these usually get the job done.

Sunny
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM

i can see why he specified though... like per was all like "i love the waterpipe". there's other things people can smoke that aren't cigarettes. shisha and stuff.

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
My stance on smoking has been well-documented in a bunch of other threads. In this one, though it's slightly off-topic, I want to pose a question and also have a moment of self-reflection here.

I have a bajillion reasons for not being interested in smoking, the number one reason being the serious health problems. However, isn't it sad that my number two reason is that fucking stench that attaches itself to you and won't leave even after you smoke once in the whole day? Most smokers I know have a horrible sense of smell and can't tell how bad they stink, so it's more of an "out of (not sight, but smell), out of mind" thing, and they don't mind. So isn't it pathetic that the whole smell thing is so important to me? I still think it's disgraceful to start doing it for cool points or whatever (hey, here's a way to get some cool points: start with a tolerable personality), but I'm not so sure I'm giving into standards that are any more valid with my whole "holy shit I should never stink not even once during the day" thing.

I'm ranting now. I'm confued.

wheelchairman
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Smoking is no longer cool. It's no longer socially acceptable. People hate smokers.

JOHNNY STOP LIVING IN THE 90's OR POSSIBLY THE LATE 80's, BUT DEFINITELY THE 90'S.

Camel Filters
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Smoking is no longer cool.

It never was cool. I regret ever Starting and now I'm trying to quit. These last 2 packs has lasted me almost 2 weeks. I've gone cigeretteless today and I still have 1 more left put of my last pack. So I have faith in myself that after one more cigerette, I will be a non smoker.

JohnnyNemesis
01-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Smoking is no longer cool. It's no longer socially acceptable. People hate smokers.

It seems that way, but no, smoking is still generally considered cool as fuck. It's sorta like that idea that there's an actual war on Christmas. It's easy to make it seem like this, but one blink and a shake of the head makes you go "oh, that's right, it's fucking ridiculous".

Sham
01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't think smoking is cool, and I'm pretty young. When I see a smoker, I avoid them, not only because of the hideous smell, but the whole idea. I always get awkward around people that are doing stuff like that, and I have a feeling most people my age are the same way.

Mr. Gepetto
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I really hate smokers/smoking, but I'd be lying if I said I've never lit up just too look badass. I feel ashamed for saying so but it's true.

btw: how old are you Sham? I don't plan to make fun because of it or anything I'm just wondering.

JoY
01-11-2008, 02:04 AM
i can see why he specified though... like per was all like "i love the waterpipe". there's other things people can smoke that aren't cigarettes. shisha and stuff.

I know, it's good to specify in almost any case, but besides the fact "smoking" is the general phrase for "smoking cigarettes", making a new years resolution of beating the habit of smoking kind of suggests it's a) a very good thing to quit smoking, b) not an easy thing to do. not much you light up is as addictive as nicotine & as damaging as cigarettes. there are things that are way more addictive & damaging, but those aren't exactly common addictions/habits. cigarettes are world-wide the most common addiction out there.

of course in a topic like this, you can talk about other things you smoke & discuss the need to make a new years resolution to quit that habit, or not, but then just DO IT. the way he expressed the need for specification, implying he's done the naughtynaughty, just rubbed me the wrong way.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-11-2008, 06:33 AM
The way he expressed the need for specification, implying he's done the naughtynaughty, just rubbed me the wrong way.

It's a jokey way I said it though, and as I said, I don't even smoke the stuff anymore. And weed is not now nor will it ever be naughtynaughty. Crack, coke an all that mugs stuff is naughtynaughty!

JoY
01-11-2008, 09:28 AM
And weed is not now nor will it ever be naughtynaughty.

so it's not supercool after all? I thought everything that's against the law in the country you live in was supersuperdupercool.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
so it's not supercool after all? I thought everything that's against the law in the country you live in was supersuperdupercool.

Well some people like to think so, but weed is really just a slap on the wrist, if that. Police only care if you're shotting it, otherwise they'll just take it off you, take your name an send you on your way.

I never did get why people think they're so good cause they been inside!?

JoY
01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
yeah yeah, where you live, it's against the law. meaning you get punished for carrying/smoking pot, meaning it's superdupercool.

I wish I could've seen high school kids doing pot, hiding for the police, being like, supershady about it, acting like they'd murdered someone. I've heard it's good.