PDA

View Full Version : Manic headache advice?

Meg
01-12-2008, 02:28 AM
For the last week or so i've been getting really painful headaches that last for hours, if not all day. Even after taking paracetamol or ibupofren they still don't go away. Any help or advice as regards to this? :(

Amiralanal
01-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Suck my penis.

Bazza
01-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Have you made sure you are drinking plenty of water?

Offspring-Junkie
01-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Enough sleep, drink enough and no stress. You got much stress about something? I never have any headaches, exept if I don't sleep much and spend too much time in front of PC or TV.

the_GoDdEsS
01-12-2008, 03:43 AM
Check if it's not a headache caused by muscle strain on the back, neck or shoulders? Have you been sitting too much maybe? A good massage would help. Other advice would include: coffee, drinking plenty of water, rubbing mentol or special creams onto neck, neck massage. All works for me, painkillers don't.

Nicole
01-12-2008, 04:14 AM
Codeine based stuff is the only stuff that really works for me. Aspirin is also good for a blood thinner.

Dead Kennedy
01-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Bang your heads together:D :D

JoY
01-12-2008, 06:14 AM
For the last week or so i've been getting really painful headaches that last for hours, if not all day. Even after taking paracetamol or ibupofren they still don't go away. Any help or advice as regards to this? :(

how many paracetamols & ibuprofens have you been taking recently? the absolute max is 8 paracetamols per day, 6 for you, because you're tiny. & mostly you would take that many, if you had a heavy fever dehydrating you, that you want to settle down a little bit. if you take too many for something they're not effective for, they start losing their entire purpose.

what Sim said is good to consider; where does this headache exactly come from? is it in one half of your head, behind the eyes, does it make you nauseous, does it creep up from your shoulders to your neck & head? a few scenarios;

1) if one half of your head seems to be affected, it makes you nauseous & it seems to put pressure on one eye, or both, it sounds a lot like a bad migraine. but migraines come in different forms, shapes, ways & symptoms. I bet Tizz could tell you the world about this. if it sounds familliar, I'd recommend consulting a doc about it. & Tizz. she knows every trick in the world to make headaches like that a bit better.

2) if you feel pressure on your eyes & it hurts to touch/press on your cheekbones, or forehead, maybe you have a sinus infection. maybe you got these headaches, after you had a cold, involving a stuffy nose? does a warm shower give some relief? try steam therapy in that case, menthol inhalation, those kind of things. there's Rhino & Vicks Vapor.. all kinds of things. I grew pretty fond of the Rhino capsules in half a liter of warm water.

3) if it creeps up from your shoulders/neck, a warm shower could also give relief by releasing some muscle tension. a good massage could help, like Sim suggested, & trying to consciously relax the shoulders/neck by choosing comfortable positions. especially behind the computer, some people (like me) tend to automatically tense their shoulders by pulling them up.

drinking water is always a good idea. & hot tea without caffeine. you need to stay away from caffeine with bad headaches. maybe it works for Sim, but caffeine dehydrates you & if there's one thing to cause bad headaches, it's a dehydrated brain.

I would also like to ask you a few quick questions, if you don't mind. sorry this post is getting so long, but maybe it's helpful. I hope it is.

- again, what kind of headache is it? does it burn, whine, sting? describe it.
- where does it seem to hurt the most & where does it seem to originally come from? is it just everywhere, or is there a part of your head where it's worse?
- for how long have you been having these headaches exactly? a week, you said. has it been for a week? try to think back to when you first felt it & the situation you were in. is it on & off, like you said, or is it actually always present, but sometimes less severe than other times? just try to be more exact.
- how intense is it, just try to describe the symptoms.
- also, is there anything else going on? do you have other kind of problems, symptoms, pains, anywhere? like tiredness, or loss of apetite, or whatever... could be anything.
- is there some kind of reason it could've started exactly when it started? like, are you under a lot of stress lately, or did you have a cold? just try to think back to when you first had these headaches, what you were doing, what was going on, et cetera.
- what seems to make it worse & what seems to make it better?

the_GoDdEsS
01-12-2008, 06:19 AM
I don't know about others but coffee always works for me or at least relieves it, even if I know the headache is from the back/neck. Coffee does dehydrate but as long as you don't forget to drink enough other fluids.

The warm shower is an awesome idea too, I approve. :)

JoY
01-12-2008, 06:26 AM
ahh, but you don't get headaches from dehydration, but from tension? do I get that right? coffee is an activator, caffeine stimulates brain & muscle activity & maybe if you're cramped up, that's what you need. or if you're stuck in a sleepy mode & you pressure yourself to get out of it by tensing your muscles.

or.. you're addicted to caffeine & the reason you get headaches, is because you need your daily hit & then headaches go away.

the_GoDdEsS
01-12-2008, 06:52 AM
ahh, but you don't get headaches from dehydration, but from tension? do I get that right? coffee is an activator, caffeine stimulates brain & muscle activity & maybe if you're cramped up, that's what you need.

Yeah, that kinda describes it. I don't get splitting headaches any more like when I was a kid. And ever since I started drinking coffee, it's improved a lot. I'm no expert, you'd prolly know more about it, I think it has something to do with caffeine dillating the blood vessels and relieving headache.

TBD
01-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Potential brain tumor get it checked out ASAP.

Camel Filters
01-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Suck my penis.

Grow the fuck up.

TBD
01-12-2008, 09:40 AM
To be honest, I get constant headaches when I am not hydrated. I don't get headaches when I'm constantly drinking 5-10 glasses of water a day, but when I drink little to no water, a constant headache won't go away.

Sham
01-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Lie down on your bed. It will help.

Sidewinder
01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I've heard caffeine helps most in cases where the person is trying to do tasks that are past the level the body can exert its self at that point. The caffeine gives the mind more energy and takes strain off of both the mental and physical capacities.

I have sinus migraines, so I totally feel your pain. I have to get surgery for them in about a month.

Generally lying down in very dark with some sort of pressure on the hurting areas is the best relief I've found, though I'm sure there are better ways depending on the precise kind.

Tizzalicious
01-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah, that kinda describes it. I don't get splitting headaches any more like when I was a kid. And ever since I started drinking coffee, it's improved a lot. I'm no expert, you'd prolly know more about it, I think it has something to do with caffeine dillating the blood vessels and relieving headache.

That's exactly it. Caffeine is great when you have a migraine, as when you do, your bloodvessels get wider, and the caffeine makes them smaller again. However, if you get migraines often is bad to drink caffeine as it keeps the vessels small, but they can suddenly pop out or something.

I think you should try to figure out what kind of headaches you have. If they are caused by muscle tension, try to find a way to do something about that (do you maybe sit in a position that's bad for your neck/shoulders a lot? Carry heavy bags? Things like that.

If you are getting migraines, I suggest you talk to a doctor, there are great migraine-specific meds around.

Andy
01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Suck my penis.

You're hilarious.

Jakebert
01-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Head On! Apply Directly To Forehead!
Head On! Apply Directly To Foreskin!

I Hate Your Commercials, But Your Product Works!

wheelchairman
01-12-2008, 07:39 PM
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/most-awful/most-awful-cures.php?page=2

HornyPope
01-12-2008, 08:11 PM
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/most-awful/most-awful-cures.php?page=2

LOL. I see them bunches on CNN (they play it at the gym). Awful, awful commercials. They used to play Space (chanel) in the mornings and Star Trek was always on, but now they switched it to CNN. MAybe cause it's political time. Damn Jews (at my gym) always following American politics.

wheelchairman
01-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd rather watch Star Trek. It's like a Kibbutz...in space.

Meg
01-13-2008, 03:23 AM
or.. you're addicted to caffeine & the reason you get headaches, is because you need your daily hit & then headaches go away.

That sounds a lot like sense. I went to the doctor's a few weeks ago, and was diagnosed with insomnia, and he told me to dramatically cut down on my coffee/caffeine intake, to see if it helps at all. I ignored that advice at first, because I used to drink at least 2 every morning just to wake up. But then I got sick of the non-sleeep thing, and decided to give it a try.

The warm shower thing would be a good idea, But i've only got a bath at the moment =[
But I did notice that hot baths seem to help quite a lot.

I used to get migraines a lot when I was about 11/12, So i'm pretty sure that that's not my problem at the moment =]

JoY
01-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Sim; what Tizz said is right. I need to dig in my memory a little, but caffeine stimulates muscles, also those around the bloodvessels that control vasoconstriction & -dilatation. so by that reasoning, they'd constrict in response to coffee, not dilate.

if you've had terrible headaches from a young age, that suggests they have to do with migraines, I suppose. I don't know any other forms of severe recurrent headaches from a young age. & if Tizz says migraines have to do with dilated bloodvessels, which would mean coffee helps against those kind of headaches, I trust her.

but constriction of blood vessels & dehydration caused by caffeine can also cause headaches, not to mention the headaches you can get after you stop drinking coffee, so caffeine is always something to be careful with.

Meg; ah yeah, then I suppose you would recognise it, if you were having migraines. ;]

it always helps to think back to when you first got any symptoms & if anything was out of the ordinary, if there was anything unusual that could trigger your body to respond with pain. I'm glad this has been figured out. :]

caffeine has a significant effect on neuroreceptors all over the body, also in the brain. it's an agonist, it activates receptors, opposed to an antagonist, that blocks receptors. if receptors are over- or understimulated, they retract in their cells, lose a bit of function & become more difficult to activate. meaning one cup of coffee doesn't do the trick anymore after a while & then you need two, after which you need three to get the same wakening, activating effect. it's addictive, in other words.

after you suddenly quit drinking coffee, your body responds in a way it's craving it, because it can't activate the receptors that also respond to caffeine by itself as easily anymore. caffeine stimulates the constriction of bloodvessels, so after you stop the intake of caffeine, bloodvessels become kind of stuck in a state of dilatation & that causes your blood pressure to drop. maybe you've noticed this when you get up from a sitting/lying position too fast?

just relax, those receptors will be back in shape before you know it. don't drink more than 1 cup of coffee every two days if it gets too bad, stay away from coke, dr. pepper, energy drinks & tea with caffeine, so you don't unintentionally drink more caffeine than you'd want to & try the hot bath-thing. if you want the warm shower effect; you probably got a showerhead in your bath to wash out shampoo & stuff? you can use that to soothe the headaches a little bit.

edit; & no more paracetamols! paracetamols often come with a small dose of caffeine these days, not that it seems to have helped you at all to soothe your craving for caffeine, but you could be feeding this thing without even realising. & ibuprofen is an NSAID, meaning in big amounts & high doses, they're not very good for your stomach & kidneys & they work like a bloodthinner. ibuprofen could actually help a little bit, by my way of reasoning with all the mechanisms, but since painkillers haven't been effective, I'd lay off them.

Meg
01-13-2008, 05:56 AM
just relax, those receptors will be back in shape before you know it. don't drink more than 1 cup of coffee every two days if it gets too bad, stay away from coke, dr. pepper, energy drinks & tea with caffeine, so you don't unintentionally drink more caffeine than you'd want to & try the hot bath-thing. if you want the warm shower effect; you probably got a showerhead in your bath to wash out shampoo & stuff? you can use that to soothe the headaches a little bit.

I don't tend to drink anything other than coffee, tea, water, squash and milk anyway, I'm quite healthy on that case =]

Unfortunately i did have a shower but it broke, It randomly just started raining downstairs so my dad had to pull the whole thing apart, so we've only got the bath now. Sucks majorly, as I much prefer showers myself.

EDIT to your edit: I try my best not to take either really, because for some reason i'm not sure that I trust them, let alone the fact that they don't really do anything for me.

And because I used to have so many migraines when I was younger I used to take stupid amounts of paracetamol as an attempt to get rid of them, so I have a mini-resistance to it now =[

Vera
01-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm ill with a fever that's coming down and I swear it's like medicine on its own to read Bella's medical babble. Bellissime!

JoY
01-14-2008, 04:12 AM
EDIT to your edit: I try my best not to take either really, because for some reason i'm not sure that I trust them, let alone the fact that they don't really do anything for me.

And because I used to have so many migraines when I was younger I used to take stupid amounts of paracetamol as an attempt to get rid of them, so I have a mini-resistance to it now =[

if you use medication wisely, you don't have to distrust it. :] when you take them, do it for the right reasons & just be careful with amounts & how you spread the intake over time. & always read the manual.

I'm pretty sure you can't build up a mini-resistance to paracetamols that sticks with you for the rest of your life. if you took too many when you were younger, it really shouldn't matter now.

Sanni; hey, glad to help! ;p

the_offsprings_monkey
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Pregnant? Heyy I'm just saying!