PDA

View Full Version : Oldies

Dead Kennedy
01-12-2008, 02:59 PM
When I say oldies, I mean music from post WW2 era and before 70s. You know, things that your old people listened to when they were young and reason why my dad is stealing my computer and watching Beatles on YouTube. If you like that kind of music, like me, write here. If you not, write here and say why do you think thats it so crappy. Just use this god damn thread!

Mr. Gepetto
01-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm a big Chuck Berry fan. Led Zepp and Jimi were making music before the 70s so them too I guess. Other than that most music I listen to has been after the 70s.

no_fking_hero
01-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I love Blue Cheer, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Beatles, Ray Charles, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Elvis Presley, The Kinks, Frank Sinatra, Jimi, The Animals Its all great stuff :D:D

better than the shit being peddled out these days :eek:

Mr. Gepetto
01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Actually I really like doowop and mowtown stuff. I forgot to metion basically everybody NFH mentioned too.

opivy21
01-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I love 60s soul like Otis Redding and Sam and Dave. I heard a lot of oldies radio in my mom's car when I was little, so I guess it made an impression.

coke_a_holic
01-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I used to think that the oldies were the only good music around a few years ago. I've recently taken up the opinion that old music is becoming somewhat obsolete (save for a few artists) and that too many people are looking either at the mainstream or at the mainstream from 30 years ago. There's so much great music coming out right now that no one even knows about and that's where the real excitement is.

So to answer your question: some older music (most jazz and some experimental groups) are seriously amazing, most are too similar, and all of it is great in small doses.

Jakebert
01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I used to think that the oldies were the only good music around a few years ago. I've recently taken up the opinion that old music is becoming somewhat obsolete (save for a few artists) and that too many people are looking either at the mainstream or at the mainstream from 30 years ago. There's so much great music coming out right now that no one even knows about and that's where the real excitement is.

So to answer your question: some older music (most jazz and some experimental groups) are seriously amazing, most are too similar, and all of it is great in small doses.

I agree and disagree with this. I still love a lot of old music, but at the same time, I think it does get overhyped. A lot of people who say "oh, well there were so many better bands now than around today" don't realize that for every great band like the Beatles, Buddy Holly, ect. there were about 30 forgettable bands doing nothing original or interesting, the same way that for every good band out now there's dozens of bands like Nickleback. The ratio of good to bad in music has always tilted towards bad, regardless of the era. But in time, the shit gets forgotten, so it's easier to just remember the good stuff. Although, recently I've come to realize that a lot of the really good stuff from the late 60's is stuff that flew under the radar.

I also agree that those people that hate modern music are just looking in the wrong place. Right now, every single musical taste can be satisfied with some kind of band that's floating under the radar. There's so much variety in music now that making a sweeping generalization about how all modern music sucks makes no sense whatsoever.

Where I disagree is saying that most old music is obsolete. I think that good music is never obsolete, because there's always someone discovering it at various points in time. I mean, I just discovered Nick Drake less than 2 months ago, and for a while I thought I had heard all of the amazing singer-songwriter stuff from the 60's that I possibly could.

coke_a_holic
01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I have poor word choice. By obsolete, I don't mean it's overplayed or that I'm sick of it, I mean that a large portion of it is so stylistically similar and lyrically weak, that if I were alive then, I would probably be desperately searching for an alternative to it, as I am today. As I said, I still like a lot of older music and I still listen to it, and considering it was really mainstream, it destroys our mainstream today by a long run.

I'd just like to say that I have a feeling that bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nickelback are going to become the next generation's Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones. And that really bothers me that this is going to become "classic" rock.

jacknife737
01-12-2008, 10:42 PM
I listen to a lot of Johnny Cash, and now i'm starting to get into Elvis.

Meg
01-13-2008, 03:27 AM
I love 60's music, and I went through a period of listening to it every day for a good few weeks.

Plus I like a lot of war-time songs, around 40's 50's time.

Duskygrin
01-13-2008, 03:30 AM
dean martin! dean martin!

oh and fred astaire, and the animals, and elvis, and, and...

oh, just too long this list would be.

batfish
01-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Until I was 14, the only music I listened to regularly was my parents'. No music TV, no money to buy CDs / cassettes.

Does anyone else here like Love? Hardly anyone I know outside family knows their music much, possibly because they only have one decent (but genius) album.