PDA

View Full Version : i r pwnt

Sinister
01-13-2008, 07:32 PM
OK, so I knew before the end of last semester that things weren't looking too good for exams and grades and whatnot; then I went on a long-planned, week-long cruise. Came back home tonight, I checked my e-mails and saw that I needed to reapply for college because I failed half my classes. Right. But classes are beginning tomorrow and I only discovered the extent of the pwnage something like half an hour ago.

On the plus side, my part-time job will more than willingly take me fulltime for the semester. But it still fucking sucks.

Camel Filters
01-13-2008, 07:38 PM
that sucks dude. Good luck with that.

wheelchairman
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Wait how does that suck? Worst case scenario you have to take a break for 3 months from studies. Some days I just look for a good excuse to do that. Just work for a few months etc.

HornyPope
01-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Nothing's wrong with missing a little school. It's a game time for a good experience.

Sinister
01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't really mind it, except it's gonna push graduation a bit further than it already was. The main drawback of the whole thing is how my parents are gonna be fucking pissed, bitch at me and rub the failure in, even though they really shouldn't have anything to do with my studies whatsoever.

*looks at above paragraph*
Christ, I need to grow a fucking backbone. Now.

wheelchairman
01-13-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't really mind it, except it's gonna push graduation a bit further than it already was. The main drawback of the whole thing is how my parents are gonna be fucking pissed, bitch at me and rub the failure in, even though they really shouldn't have anything to do with my studies whatsoever.

You gotta do it someday.

Anyways who wants to graduate so early? It's the next step to working for 40 years.

TBD
01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm devastated with my current grades as it will dictate my ability to find work after graduation.

I wouldn't have minded taking time off before continuing education but I'd have had nothing to do.

I don't see how people get good jobs with just college degrees nowadays.

Sinister
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, I was planning on a college degree in "Creative Arts, Languages and Literature" and then getting into translation once I reached university level. I'll still try and do that; and a job in translation would only be until writing becomes my primary income (if it does).

XYlophonetreeZ
01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
The words "Christ, I need to grow a fucking backbone" were the only part of that post that convinced me that Christ, you need to grow a fucking backbone. The rest of that post was fine, normal shit that everyone worries about. It was only when you showed that you were insecure about what you just typed that you started to sound like a bit of a pussy. I had a similar setback and couldn't graduate on time and I felt shitty for a while, but you'll feel better. Everyone worries about the type of thing you mentioned. Don't feel too bad about it.

Sinister
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
What I feel bad about is the part where it bothers me that my parents are gonna bitch at me for God knows how long.

Sinister
01-14-2008, 07:45 AM
seems like I might be able to only miss like the first week of school or so while the administration people take a look at my re-admission request. Now I just gotta have my fingers crossed that 1) parents don't find out about this process and 2) it works.

Splinter[PI]
01-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I hope that works dude...

my parents are pissing me too, even if I don't fail in my school. thats fucking annoying. my parents really suck these days:( :(

Sunny
01-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm devastated with my current grades as it will dictate my ability to find work after graduation.

I wouldn't have minded taking time off before continuing education but I'd have had nothing to do.

do prospective employers even look at grades? i graduated with a sweet-ass GPA but no one seemed to give a shit.

Rag Doll
01-14-2008, 10:54 AM
TBD is in law school, I believe. It's an entirely different ballgame, where everything is based almost completely on GPA. Makes me pretty happy I've decided to probably just go to grad school and *not* law school, like originally planned.

Anyway, missing some school is actually not bad. I had to miss the fall semester for medical reasons. I'm just DREADING going back next week after having like 8 months off...

Sunny
01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
ow, that sucks. i didn't realize grades were so important for law school graduates. yikes!

and good luck with going back to school after a long break! it's always a bitch.

HornyPope
01-14-2008, 11:48 AM

Quit now and never look back.

Duskygrin
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Well what did you expect anyway? You reap what you sow. If that sits ill with your pay-rents just grin and bear it. They won't kill you. About all you're in for is some good talking-to.

As for graduating I don't know your age but over here I'd advise you to graduate as soon as poss and get a job (which you have! so no worries that end) asap as well. Since retirement pensions are calculated on a monthly basis and you do need some 40 years at the very least to get a full one here, barring some exceptional cases.

In any case, I don't see you're screwed that much; just a temporary blip, I'm sure you'll get back on track speedily. Best of luck.

Llamas
01-14-2008, 03:15 PM

It so depends on what your degree is in. If your degree is in education, computer science, chemical engineering, etc, and from a good school, you don't need anything beyond a bachelor's. Plus, many places just care that you have a Bachelor's, and aren't really that concerned about what it's in. That can help you get a good job.

TBD
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Word.

The difference between a great GPA and a barely passing one for me can mean the difference between 150,000 starting off and struggling to find employment.

Quite a number of people have already dropped out I believe.

I just got my last grade and it was another mediocre B-. Death.

Sham
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Quit now and never look back.

Why do you say that?

HornyPope
01-14-2008, 09:26 PM
It's my way of encouraging him. We have an understanding like that, and he's very thankful for the role I played in his life.

Meg
01-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Dude, just quit, and get a job.
That's what I did.

Apart from the job bit. I haven't quite managed that bit yet.

HornyPope
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Drilling this to yourself is a futile mental strain.

You either do it or you don't. Kind of like bungee jumping, you don't rationalize your reasons for the jump as you stand at the edge of the cliff. You just... jump.

One advice I can give you which you may follow or not: get out more often. You'll feel yourself more at ease with the surrounding environment when you understand it.