PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else see anything odd about this?

nieh
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
All Virginia county offices are closed this Friday and this Monday in observance of Robert E. Lee day and Martin Luther King day, respectively.

Splinter[PI]
01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
mhm

yeah

the world waited a long time for this message coming out of your mouth.

now you're a real guru...

Sham
01-15-2008, 04:42 PM
The Civil War was not fought over slavery. And Robert E. Lee didn't even support slavery. And the North was also racist.

TBD
01-15-2008, 05:15 PM
NOT EXACTLY PROUD OF THE PLACE IM FROM. BUT IVE BEEN HERE MY WHOLE LIFE SO I GUESS ILL CALL IT HOME. IN SOUTH CAROLINA A FLAG STILL SHOWS THE ENSLAVEMENT OF OUR MINDS. IN SOUTH CAROLINA I LEARNED FROM ALL THE TIMES..................ok.

JohnnyNemesis
01-15-2008, 07:04 PM
The Civil War was not fought over slavery.

Yeah it was. That and more.

And Robert E. Lee didn't even support slavery.

He sorta did.

And the North was also racist.

This is true.

nieh
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Regardless of whether or not Lee personally agreed with slavery, he still willingly fought to keep it in place.

Sham
01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
The Civil War was fought to keep the country together. Slavery was a part of it, but there were many other contributing factors. And how do you know he supported slavery? Just cause he fought for the South? I learned that Lee only stuck with the South cause it was his birthplace; he just wanted to protect where he was born. It doesn't mean he supports slavery.

TBD
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, we're not going to stop celebrating the other slave holding historical figures of US past like Thomas Jefferson, so I guess Virginia celebrating Robert E. Lee is basically the same deal. It's not like they fly a confederate flag on the state capital.

JohnnyNemesis
01-15-2008, 07:20 PM
And how do you know he supported slavery? Just cause he fought for the South?

You say it like it's such a crazy thought.

And yes, he protected where he was born. A place that, um, y'know. Supported slavery.

Endymion
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
The Civil War was fought to keep the country together. Slavery was a part of it, but there were many other contributing factors. And how do you know he supported slavery? Just cause he fought for the South? I learned that Lee only stuck with the South cause it was his birthplace; he just wanted to protect where he was born. It doesn't mean he supports slavery.

christ, do you believe everything they tell you in junior high history class?

WebDudette
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I do, but that's because my teacher would tell us things they don't want us to know. Like how there was no Holocaust and both WW's are 100% England's fault.

Mota Boy
01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
The Civil War was fought to keep the country together. Slavery was a part of it, but there were many other contributing factors. And how do you know he supported slavery? Just cause he fought for the South? I learned that Lee only stuck with the South cause it was his birthplace; he just wanted to protect where he was born. It doesn't mean he supports slavery.The North invaded to keep the nation together, but, I mean, having a giant fucking antagonistic nation on your border ain't so fantastic, so it's hard to completely paint it as noble (I mean, if we're attempting to be realistic - you can paint it as anything you damn well please if you want to). Anyway, the Southern states, in seceding, specifically mentioned slavery in their official declarations, so though their were many underlying currents that divided the nation, the Southern legislatures, in their own damn words, said that it was over slavery (though their were four Confederate states that only seceded after Lincoln asked them to side with the Union).

And Lee was pretty cool, especially compared that fucktard McClellan. Chose the wrong side, but hey - so did a few million.

Endymion
01-15-2008, 09:51 PM
it's kinda funny, too, since the south ruled the federal government thanks to the three-fifths compromise. check out how many presidents prior to the civil war were from the south.

Mota Boy
01-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Meh, the noose was circling on slavery (uh... in retrospect, maybe this isn't the best metaphor to use), the only reason it hadn't closed was the South's repeated threat of secession.

Oh, and re: the topic - I don't think it's that odd, given that MLK Day is a federal holiday and Robert E. Lee Day is a state holiday created as a "fuck you" to the federal government. I mean, definitely funny, but explicable by the fact that rednecks are, in general, defensively proud of their "history" because that means they don't have to examine the sins of their ancestors but pretend the conversation is about something else entirely and shift the focus to blaming something or other on Yankees and liberals.