PDA

View Full Version : All Music Guide

Jakebert
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
This site is not working on my computer for some reason. I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else here or if my computer is just being a gigantic dick this week?

0r4ng3
01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Nope, it's not working on my computer either.

Jakebert
01-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Alright, I wasn't sure. My computer tends to not like certain sites that are actually working fine, so I figured I'd check.

Let's make this thread worth existing: do you like allmusic.com? I think they do a decent job, and I like that they can do a negative review without having to completely trash the band/album they're talking about. Plus, I love the "mood" and "themes" sections where you can look up albums based on their moods, feeling, ect. I like that because usually when I'm looking for new music, I'm looking for a specific mood, so that's a useful tool.

Sham
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Awesome review site. They seem to have a review for every album ever. And do they a good job, they don't uncessecarily bash it or anything, they seem to be fairly positive, and their reviews are usually spot on to the album quality. Their reviews also aren't massive, they are short and sweet.

Oh, it's working for me.

nieh
01-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I like that under a band's profile they have a list showing the band's influences, another showing who the band has influenced, and another showing similar artists. I dislike how limited and occasionally inaccurate their selctions on those features are (if I remember right, it says that AFI's only influence is the Misfits, and there's been several times where a band under the "similar artists" thing has left me baffled as to why they were showing). Generally it's pretty alright though.

Llamas
01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
It's a decent site, but I guess I wish that the reviews were more of a collaboration among people... because sometimes, a band will have 2 stars on each of their albums, and you can tell it's because the reviewer just doesn't like that band and it's not in their taste. Same goes for the opposite. But I use the site, mostly to look up what albums a band has... or what year they started.

Oh, and I've found that several times, their information is flat out wrong... which surprises me.

coke_a_holic
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
The only thing I dislike about AMG (and I literally mean the one thing that irks me, everything else is sooo great) is the fact that the reviews are almost always extremely positive, regardless of the score. They oftentimes praise an album very highly, talking about everything good about it. Then they give it 2/5 stars, which confuses the hell out of me.

The most negative review I remember reading was something like, "it's too bad that their first cd came about before this and set the bar so high because this record is great but not as good as the first one sorry for saying so please don't hurt us we just want to help people."

Jakebert
01-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I've actually seen quite a few negative reviews. Read any review of a Limp Bizkit album, or "No Substance" by Bad Religion, and you'll see some good criticism.

BREAK
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
I used to like using AMG before they switched to their current format. Now I find navigating their page arduous and slow.

I've rarely ever read their reviews. I like my music writing to be a little more provocative, their tone is way too warmed over for me. Reviews should give the reader at least some idea whether they'll like the album or not.

opivy21
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
It's good for reference and it's quick. I'm a fan.

Llamas
01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
The only thing I dislike about AMG (and I literally mean the one thing that irks me, everything else is sooo great) is the fact that the reviews are almost always extremely positive, regardless of the score. They oftentimes praise an album very highly, talking about everything good about it. Then they give it 2/5 stars, which confuses the hell out of me.

The most negative review I remember reading was something like, "it's too bad that their first cd came about before this and set the bar so high because this record is great but not as good as the first one sorry for saying so please don't hurt us we just want to help people."

"a numbingly vacuous, no-dimensional dud that seems to have arrived via wormhole from 1998."
"Predictably, the album ends clumsily."
"The early material was grating and one-dimensional, but it had a certain primal flair for the very same reasons -- songs were really an afterthought in the face of its blistering howl."