PDA

View Full Version : Flashes of Brilliance.

T-6005
01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Ever feel that way?

Getting those moments where you're riding to school, or back from it, or in class, or lying in bed at night, and all of a sudden you're gripped by some sort of stray thought that you know could be something fucking fantastic. But you're tired, or you don't have paper and pencil and even if you did you wouldn't get them out and write down your idea, or you can't see yourself follow your idea through to its conclusion - or you quite simply forget it when you try and remember it later.

I don't know about you, but I hate those moments, because I have absolutely no excuse for not following through.

I could write whatever it is I thought of SOMEWHERE. I could get out of bed in the middle of the night and pick up my damn guitar and work out exactly what that fantastic melody is spinning around in my head, just begging to make me rich and famous and satisfied. But all I ever do is close my eyes and go to sleep.

At the same time, though, I feel like my entire existence would be much more prone to self-pity if I didn't have them. They might just be flashes of something that, if I don't think too hard about it, seems worthwhile, but it's something. It's certainly a lot better than nothing.

What's your favorite mode of transportation, and why?

Endymion
01-18-2008, 11:50 AM
yes, i get those from time to time. generally i'll try my best to get to my computer to jot down a note. or find paper. a few times i've taken pencil to wall to ensure i get a hard copy of the thought before it drifted away.

oh, and i love riding my bike. it's quite liberating, but fairly fast at the same time.

The Talking Pie
01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
All the bloody time. Usually I scribble notes onto pieces of paper in pitch blackness. I actually have two of them about a foot away from me.

One time, when I was well on my way to sleep, I genuinely realised the meaning of life. And I thought "that's way too big to forget; I don't need to write it down". And did I remember it? Did I fuck.

mrconeman
01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
The half asleep melodies one absolutely plauges me. I tell myself everytime "next time it happens, I'll just get up." but of course you never do.

Sometimes they end up so far forgotten that I often wonder if it really happened or if I dreamed it. But in the moment the melodies are very real. It's a really strange thing.

Sinister
01-18-2008, 12:33 PM
I guess I don't have these flashes often. But if I did, my computer is all I need to get it recorded. Word, Paint, GuitarPro. Enough said.

Regarding transportation... I generally like biking because mine is light enough for roads, but sturdy/equipped enough for offroad.

wheelchairman
01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
My general theory is that like when you are drunk or stoned, when you are sleepy everything becomes simplified in your brain (i.e. you don't think as fast, so naturally what was normal before becomes ingeneius when you think about it a step futher.) The natural step being that all those genius thoughts you had while sleepy are probably worthless utterances that one goes through while barely conscious and certainly not thinking "straight."

Oh and I think everybody has those moments. It's like when drunk people "nostalgasize" over some annoying 90's song.

Nicole
01-18-2008, 09:01 PM
This reminds me of the time I was really, really high, and figured out something as mind-blowing as the meaning of life. It could have been quite valid, I just can't remember.

Usually when I've got something that I figure "I MUST remember this", I usually work myself up into a panic about forgetting it, and lo and behold I remember it. It's those fleeting thoughts I don't get too engrossed in that slip my mind.

Trying to explain a thought process is quite tricky.

Mota Boy
01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Often. I carry a notebook and pencil with me and write them down. For me, the greater difficulty is synthesizing them all together into an overarching theory of life, the universe and everything. I finally got a significant chunk of the outline down, though, and I hope to add to it as time rolls on. I'm shipping fragments off to friends to make sure they're actually something relatively new and worthwhile.

I have an affinity for long train rides - I like being able to lay down, read and watch the countryside roll by. Trains also give you a definitive feeling that you're going someplace. I also absolutely love driving, but the relative novelty of train rides edges it out. I'm sure if I got to ride the rails once a month or so, it'd be moved aside. I also love to bike, but am cutting back due to the awful air quality.

calichix
01-18-2008, 10:15 PM
my tootsies, anything you paddle on, trains, novelty tractor, super old cars that have that old car smell, me and my woman's tandem bicycle. invigorating.

my most genius of genius moments come on trains or long uninterrupted plane rides.

Lodat225
01-18-2008, 10:33 PM
never.

ever.

T-6005
01-19-2008, 09:31 AM
my most genius of genius moments come on trains or long uninterrupted plane rides.
Trains I can understand, but unfortunately planes, although by far more common for me, just don't do it.

I once described my mood on planes to a friend as "near-constant panic."

HornyPope
01-19-2008, 09:49 AM
I get bunches of epiphanies when i'm high.

I get also a lot of good thoughts when i'm alone for an extended period of time (and not doing anything important), like during travels. It's a good thinking period.

Mota Boy
01-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Trains I can understand, but unfortunately planes, although by far more common for me, just don't do it.

I once described my mood on planes to a friend as "near-constant panic."I imagine that my experience on long plane rides is very much a akin to what purgatory would be like.

irishpunkrockgirl
01-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes. When I'm half asleep, or in the shower.

T-6005
01-19-2008, 05:14 PM
I imagine that my experience on long plane rides is very much a akin to what purgatory would be like.
I've always felt that there was a badly hidden 'cruel God' joke hidden somewhere in there. That I should have a phobia of airplanes and have to take them tons of times every year just seems like a situation where you're always at square 1.

Note to self - maybe name a band Square One. I think it could work.

It could also make it possible for me to jump onto the "I have an unpronouncable artist name" bandwagon when I make it a square and a 1 side by side.

EDIT - I looked it up. Apparently it's taken.

Mr. Gepetto
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I feel I'm getting them soo much lately. I recently co-wrote and acted in a film me and a friend made for film literature. He had a bunch of pretty bad ideas that made it into the final draft. We want to make another film soon and I've just been coming up with (what I think) are really good ideas. Everywhere I go I notice a place where something could happen, or things that inspire me for like a character or something.

WebDudette
01-19-2008, 07:31 PM
See, when I'm laying down or doing what ever and I get a genius idea I remember it until later when I'm more coherent. But then I realize that it wasn't actually a good idea at all.

Andy
01-19-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm going to do the bluetooth idea on my way to work on Monday.

Sadly, I can't wait for it.

calichix
01-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I get lots of stoned epiphanies too but only when I smoke purple. cause I remember everything that's ever happened in vivid detail.