http://digg.com/politics/Bush_considering_800_tax_rebate_to_boost_US_econom y

That's like 266.67 cups of coffee.

Fixed.

nieh
01-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Page not found!

Jakebert
01-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Shit! That was quick. We're still keeping this up, because I enjoy the Futurama reference.

nieh
01-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I think you accidentally copied the abbreviated link. It has ellipsis actually as part of the url, that normally isn't the case.

wheelchairman
01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Sometimes I wonder how the government pays for anything it wants to do, ever?

It's also a considerably good time to give every voter 800 dollars....

Little_Miss_1565
01-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Didn't he do this just before 9/11, and then 9/11 happened and the government budget and economy went "oh shit"?

Stupid, stupid idea. As much as I need $800 right now, we def. do not need it when we are hundreds of billions of dollars in debt over the Iraq War.

Sidewinder
01-19-2008, 02:34 PM
It's to prevent the recession. The thought is that people will either a) spend it, and get more flowing in the economy, or b) pay off debts/save it, in which case they'll be able to spend more in the relatively near future.

nieh
01-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I love how so many of the comments in that article are complaining about how $800 is nothing. If they really think that's the case, I'd be willing to take the $800 off their hands.

wheelchairman
01-19-2008, 02:52 PM
It's to prevent the recession. The thought is that people will either a) spend it, and get more flowing in the economy, or b) pay off debts/save it, in which case they'll be able to spend more in the relatively near future.
a). What do you think happens when you give EVERYONE (or as near as) close to the same amount of money? The money becomes worthless... or at least worth less.

b). actually, they will save it and it will most likely be worth less than it was when they got it.

The idea totally and utterly sucks.

HornyPope
01-19-2008, 03:23 PM
It's a necessary step in any recession. You gotta keep the consumers spending...

My only concern is who gets that money and how much? If you give it to the wealthy, then it's a waste of 800$. They're not going to spend it. It's a drop in the bucket for them. This money has to go to the middle class and the poor, they are the ones who are guaranteed to put it back in the econmy.

Sidewinder
01-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Me, me! I'm middle class!

nieh
01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I know this will do more to damage the economy than help it in the long run, but that doesn't change the fact that I could really, really use $800 right about now.

HornyPope
01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I know this will do more to damage the economy than help it in the long run, but that doesn't change the fact that I could really, really use $800 right about now.

What is going to damage the economy on the long run?

Sunny
01-20-2008, 07:12 PM
i wonder if legal, taxpaying alien workers would receive it as well... *wiggles*

RickyCrack
01-21-2008, 01:53 AM
i really really really need that 800$. it beats the $700 i spent in taxes last year -- g.w. u owe me > : ((((((

XYlophonetreeZ
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Alright, George signed it! I'm gonna go buy a bunch of Chinese shit now!

nieh
02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Woo! With me moving in a couple weeks and my home computer dying this weekend this really comes in handy right now.

Sunny
02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
i'm certainly glad to be receiving extra $, but i honestly don't think this is going to work in terms of helping the economy. you can't boost consumer confidence with a such a small amount of money; and as long as people don't feel secure, they won't go out and shop. it's a drop in the ocean that won't alter general consumer attitude. i'm willing to bet a lot of people are going to save this money or use it to pay off bills. *shrugs*

HornyPope
02-16-2008, 12:11 AM
i'm certainly glad to be receiving extra $, but i honestly don't think this is going to work in terms of helping the economy. you can't boost consumer confidence with a such a small amount of money; and as long as people don't feel secure, they won't go out and shop. it's a drop in the ocean that won't alter general consumer attitude. i'm willing to bet a lot of people are going to save this money or use it to pay off bills. *shrugs*

There is an economic model that says that people spend about 80% of their income and save about 20%. I'm not familiar with studies about how economic downturns affect consumer spending, but I don't think it's going to be very significant with respect to the aformentioned percentage. People are going to spend this money because that's what people do.