PDA

View Full Version : The 'Your Band' Forum Band!

Harnum
01-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Well, I was thinking about this and I think it would be cool to take this guys idea (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29081) as was posted in GOD and elaborate on it here with the talented musicians we have in this section. We could choose a song and everyone play a different instrument and we can piece it together at the end! Someone will record their part of the song on a recording program (that will have to be decided upon) and then we send it to one another person via sendspace or yousendit and then they record their instrument. Send it around until all parts are done and then repost it as an mp3 for the entire forum to hear. Cool idea? I think so.

I know there are multiple guitar, drum, and bass players on here and it would be hard just to narrow it down to just a few decent players, so I guess that we can all just take a turn whenever we decide upon it! If there is already one person down for your instrument, it doesn't mean that you can't also try. So, I'll post a list right here with people willing to do this!

Forum Band
Harnum - Bass
mrconeman - Guitar / Vocals (possibly)
coke_a_holic - Bass / Guitar / Yelling Vocals / Synth
The Talking Pie - Guitar
T-6005 - Guitar / Drum Program
PilZ-E - Vocals
JoY - Vocals / Violin / Piano
Andy - Drums
Homer - Guitar / Vocals
That_Guy91 - Guitar / Clarinet (lawl)
ilovellamas - Vocals / Saxophone / Trumpet / Trombone

mrconeman
01-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I like it. Yeah, I think once we choose a song, and it has enough members to get it done, another song can be chosen and then different groups of people can try different songs, y'know? just so everyone can try.

I'll be willing to add guitar whenever needed, I hope this gets some interest. The only problem I forsee is the recording, I'm fairly hopeless at it, and other members are pretty great at it, there might be quality inconsistencies, unless of course those who are better at it want to magic up some production skills on all the tracks at the end and make it sound better.

I think we'll need drum tracks first too.

I guess we choose a song after some people have shown interest?

Harnum
01-20-2008, 10:50 AM
I like it. Yeah, I think once we choose a song, and it has enough members to get it done, another song can be chosen and then different groups of people can try different songs, y'know? just so everyone can try.
My idea exactly! =]

I'll be willing to add guitar whenever needed, I hope this gets some interest. The only problem I forsee is the recording, I'm fairly hopeless at it, and other members are pretty great at it, there might be quality inconsitincies, unless of course those who are better at it want to magic up some production skills on all the tracks at the end and make it sound better.
Ok, I'll add you to the list, and that is what will have to happen. The last person will have to 'magic it up'. I can only record through a computer mic. Shame on me! :( I'll have to work something out.

I think we'll need drum tracks first too.
Yes we will!

I guess we choose a song after some people have shown interest?
Affirmative! =]

So coneman, what program do you think we should use? I have this decent free program called Audacity. You probably know the one. It's really easy to use and easy to play around with.

coke_a_holic
01-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I can do guitar and/or bass and/or synthesized instruments and/or arbitrarily pitched yelling!

This idea sounds like it could be fun. We might need to make multiple groups, though, to avoid it becoming too congested.

Harnum
01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I can do guitar and/or bass and/or synthesized instruments and/or arbitrarily pitched yelling!
I'll write you down for all of the above!

This idea sounds like it could be fun. We might need to make multiple groups, though, to avoid it becoming too congested.
I was just about to post this! Make band 1, band 2, etc. and we could record that way. Heck, we could give ourselves names and have a BBS Battle of the Bands!

* on a side note, I've realized that I can multi-quote very effectively! =]

The Talking Pie
01-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd be very interested in playing lead guitar on any such songs.

Harnum
01-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I'd be very interested in playing lead guitar on any such songs.
Noted!

Maybe we could even divide it up into genres if we get enough interest so that there's not an argument on which type of song to play!

The Talking Pie
01-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Perhaps we should start throwing song ideas into the arena, too?

I'd love anything by Metallica, obviously, but a good old rock anthem would be great fun to do... She Sells Sanctuary, Alive, Love in an Elevator...

Harnum
01-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I'd love anything by Metallica, obviously, but a good old rock anthem would be great fun to do... She Sells Sanctuary, Alive, Love in an Elevator...
I honestly don't know any of that. :( See, that's where genres can come into play, or even decades! 70s, 80s, 90s!

Although, I can just Youtube those videos...

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! I'm an idiot! I do know these songs, the names just never came to me! Wow! prnkonme!

mrconeman
01-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd love to do Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing.
I'm happy and available to put guitar on anything that falls under, blues, rock, classic rock, or metal.

Harnum
01-20-2008, 12:23 PM
We've yet to hear any response from an actual vocalist or drummer. Carson? Andy? Where are you drummers!?

coke_a_holic
01-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd be willing to do guitar and/or bass for basically any song, preferably something a little odd or strange, but I'd have fun with any song, and I can do synths only for songs that I can easily figure out.

mrconeman
01-20-2008, 12:31 PM
I may or may not be able to add vocals to something. Depending on the song, and response from vocalists.

Harnum
01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
What if we did something by a band who sounds like classic rock? =]

Honestly, I'm expecting the worst on this one.. but something like Tales by Wolfmother (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzjsvI3rZc8) (don't mind the video, I just wanted the studio quality song) would be awesome! Maybe not as the first choice, but eventually!

I may or may not be able to add vocals to something. Depending on the song, and response from vocalists.
Noted! Also, what program would we use to record?

T-6005
01-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't think it matters which program you use as long as you agree on a common format that can be inserted into other members' projects. The default, as far as I know, is .wav format.

I could always use a drum program to help you guys out, and obviously I'm down for playing guitar or adding effects. Maybe even a little bit of mixing if you guys are interested once the completed tracks are grouped.

coke_a_holic
01-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Harnum, this is unrelated:

but have you ever listened to The Hold Steady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZB3nSoNbU)? They're kinda like the indie rock version of Wolfmother, except they sound like Bruce Springsteen instead of like Sabbath/Zeppelin.

Harnum
01-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't think it matters which program you use as long as you agree on a common format that can be inserted into other members' projects. The default, as far as I know, is .wav format.
Didn't know that. I was concerned because Audacity saves as .aup but I can export at .wav so I guess that will be fine!

I could always use a drum program to help you guys out, and obviously I'm down for playing guitar or adding effects. Maybe even a little bit of mixing if you guys are interested once the completed tracks are grouped.
Sure, drum program and guitar!

Harnum, this is unrelated:

but have you ever listened to The Hold Steady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZB3nSoNbU)? They're kinda like the indie rock version of Wolfmother, except they sound like Bruce Springsteen instead of like Sabbath/Zeppelin.
Never have listened, but in the process!

WebDudette
01-20-2008, 01:27 PM
If its something moderate I think I can do the vocals.

edit: If I'm not sick at the time.

The Talking Pie
01-20-2008, 02:13 PM
If I could convince anyone to be interested, I'd love to record a cover of one of the backing tracks that they used in the original series of Power Rangers. Such as:

http://download.yousendit.com/72B9860A4E0ECBE2

Vera
01-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I support this. :D

Harnum
01-20-2008, 03:50 PM
u betr fully support dis, kewl stuff goin on in huirr. 4srs.

T-6005
01-20-2008, 04:10 PM
If I could convince anyone to be interested, I'd love to record a cover of one of the backing tracks that they used in the original series of Power Rangers. Such as:

I think I might be able to do that, actually - although there are a few parts that might be a little annoying to program on the drums. I'll post here if I can do anything for you.

Backing guitar and drums shouldn't be a problem. Vocals and bass are kind of out for me, and I'm assuming you'll want to take on the lead guitar.

Harnum
01-20-2008, 04:29 PM

The only problem with that is if I play bass to it, I will have to tab it out by myself and that would be a problem considering I can't hear the bass well. =[

T-6005
01-21-2008, 07:34 AM
What about "Radar Love"?

I think we could be able to do that.

Meg
01-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Radar love is a fabulous song. Can I play the claves? Or possible the triangle? :D

Jokes. But only because I don't have claves or a triangle :p

JoY
01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I'd like to be in!

...but I don't know with what exactly. my violin?? I can play a bit of piano &, although not very good, I can sing. you pick. or not. dude, me & my classical instruments.:(

Meg
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Trust me, percussion is the way forward

Andy
01-21-2008, 10:04 AM
We've yet to hear any response from an actual vocalist or drummer ... Where are you drummers!?

Hello there.

The Talking Pie
01-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I'd like to be in!

...but I don't know with what exactly. my violin?? I can play a bit of piano &, although not very good, I can sing. you pick. or not. dude, me & my classical instruments.:(

Personally, I'd love to play (on guitar or something) alongside you on violin. Have you ever listened to Lara St. John's 'commercial' album re: Bach? She's mindblowing enough anyway, but on that album they managed to successfully mix pop with all manner of Bach. Beautiful.

Homer
01-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I could do vocals, and some guitar.

No drums, sorry. I don't have anything to record it with. Though, I could use a drum program.

Harnum
01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I'd like to be in!

So I'll write you down for vocals, violin (if the opportunity arises), and piano?

Hello there.
lol we need drumz? u in?

Yeah, I could do vocals, and some guitar.
So, guitar and vocals. Thanks.

Apathy
01-21-2008, 07:42 PM
If I went to guitar center right now how much would a cheapazhell recording thingamajig cost me.

Because I always see stuff like this, and I'm too technologically incapable to have any input.

mrconeman
01-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Just get a little pc microphone if you wanna be cheap, and aren't taking this entirely seriously.

It works alright for me.

Homer
01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I just use a Proel adapter. Patch cord size to headphone (don't know the exact measurements, because I suck). I just use one patch cord to plug into my amp, and another to plug my amp into the adapter.

All for the low, low cost of... $15?

That_Guy91
01-22-2008, 06:05 AM
If anyone can actually find a song with Clarinet, I'm up for it. Other than that, I can play guitar, but you seem to have enough guitarists lol.

Harnum
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Let's decide this right now.

What is our first song going to be?
Who is going to play it?
Do we want to divide the group into two separate groups to 'compete' against one another for fun?

The Talking Pie
01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Competing sounds fun, plus there'd be less arguments over who gets to play any particular instrument.

Personally, I'm game for any song that gets chosen. Preferably something not metal... I'd like to diversify a bit here.

I'd love to do anything by:

Jeff Buckley
U2
Def Leppard
Stone Temple Pilots
Annie Lennox
Bach

Harnum
01-22-2008, 03:50 PM
You're not helping Dave! =P We need song titles!

I'll suggest 2 songs.

Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine - The White Stripes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkDDZaMSGjw) (bass can be added for our purpose, and there's some lovely tambourine shaking in there!)

Tales - Wolfmother (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkDDZaMSGjw) (as was suggested before)

Any objections to any of the 2 suggestions? If so, consider them gone. I personally think the first would be the best because of the upbeat type of song and the cool little guitar licks.

The Talking Pie
01-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Of the two, I prefer Tales.

ruroken
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
What'd be cooler is if you wrote your own songs.

Harnum
01-24-2008, 11:27 AM
TTP - Tales is totally awesome. I love it. You'd have no trouble learning/playing the song? (I know, it's simple.)

ruroken - Yes it would, but I doubt we have enough time/patience for that. Well, I know I don't have enough anyway.

JoY
01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Personally, I'd love to play (on guitar or something) alongside you on violin. Have you ever listened to Lara St. John's 'commercial' album re: Bach? She's mindblowing enough anyway, but on that album they managed to successfully mix pop with all manner of Bach. Beautiful.

I'd love to play some time with you too. would be incredibly awesome.

I just remembered, I don't have much to record anything with.:( a very lousy mp3 player I haven't seen in over three months, but I could try to dig it up somewhere.

The Talking Pie
01-25-2008, 09:18 AM
TTP - Tales is totally awesome. I love it. You'd have no trouble learning/playing the song? (I know, it's simple.)

I'm sure I can learn the song. If no one else has their heart set on playing the guitar part, of course.

Harnum
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, first come first serve I guess!

The Talking Pie
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I'd love to play some time with you too. would be incredibly awesome.

Bella, I just had a thought... can you think of any songs that duet violin and acoustic guitar (like, classical/fingerpicking guitar)? That could be an awesome project.

Harnum
01-26-2008, 06:17 AM
House of the Rising Sun (as played on GH3?)

I'm joking, lawl. But whatever you play maybe I could add bass or whatnot?

The Talking Pie
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Bella, I just had a thought... can you think of any songs that duet violin and acoustic guitar (like, classical/fingerpicking guitar)? That could be an awesome project.

I can't believe that I didn't think of it before, but my absolute favourite song ever is finger-picked guitar with Cello. A capo'd guitar would sound great playing that song with a violin. If you were interested, of course. The song is:

Treading Water (http://download.yousendit.com/0CC7A0CE079788FE)

JoY
01-30-2008, 02:50 AM
the song is fantastic. I'm listening to it right now. it's beautiful. it ended, playing it again.

a few things I noticed while listening:
it'd definitely work with violin. the cello is gloomier, though. it doesn't start playing before 55 seconds in the song & then it stops & you wonder where it went. then it starts again at 2:03 minutes in the song, between 2:03 & 2:04 to be exact. I like the effect that gives.

I can't go so low, though, but I guess you understood that already. I'll have to go higher instead of lower to get the exact same tones, but I could also kick off higher at the start. that might get screetchy, though. (I'm not sure what that means, but I think you get it in the context) I could also just take whichever tone fits the tune. it's not very difficult, but it's VERY beautiful.

Llamas
01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Aww, is it too late to get in on this?? I can provide:
Guitar (acoustic or electric)
Vocals
Saxophone
Trumpet
Trombone

Yeah?? :D

Harnum
01-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Nope, not too late at all! We really haven't even started.

I'll mark you down for all, but is it possible that we can cut guitar unless you're really needed? We have so many as of now. Is that alright?

Harnum
02-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Is any drummer going to make the first move and record something?

Homer
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Well they (Andy) need something to record.

I.E. record some guitar (which is on time).