PDA

View Full Version : Why do we like to watch animate objects?

Meg
01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
I was with my dad dropping my brother off at school this morning, only we were far too early. So we had to sit around outside for about 25 minutes. Being bored out of my skull I started watching the cars going past.

There was nothing particularly interesting about these cars, other than them being the only animate objects in sight.

Which lead me to wonder. Why is that when we're either bored or have nothing particularly important to do we tend to watch moving things as a means of something to do?

Beheaded
01-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Because, they moving. And it could happen something unexpected (car accident or a person falls...). I think it's a kind of reflex to look at moving objects.:)

Meg
01-21-2008, 02:02 AM
That's what I mean. It's almost programmed into me to watch things move.

A lot of the time if i'm walking somewhere on my own, say throught own or something, I have a habit of people-watching.

Then I have to remind myself to be careful how I look at them. They might just knock my head off my shoulders.

GreenTerror
01-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Whenever I'm in some public place, I always love just watching people. Even if there's nothing really interesting about them, or what they're doing. Just seeing all kinds of different people in one place, what they look like, their clothing, who they're with is amusing to me for some reason. Sometimes they'll do something stupid like fall or something, and they don't suspect weirdos like me will be seeing it and laughing, which is kind of the best part.
Also, while in the car, I have the habit of looking at everyone's license plate. I see almost as many California plates as there are Arizona. Stop moving here please. Some (most) vanity plates are just plain retarded. That's fun, too.

Meg
01-21-2008, 02:11 AM
I have a habit of watching car headlights actually, now you mention number plates. There must be hundreds of different types, srsly.

I find being in a car quite a mundane thing. Especially when travelling for a long time =[

mrconeman
01-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Simple answer: It provides more of a stimuli to the brain than watching inanimate objects.

Meg
01-21-2008, 06:36 AM
I suppose....

but.... for example, what's the difference between a moving car and a stationary car? Other than it moving of course :p

wheelchairman
01-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Why?

I would suggest that it's something that's survived through evolution. Those who watched moving things were more likely to live (or less likely to die) than those who didn't discern the moving from the things at rest.