PDA

View Full Version : Do you share drinks with friends?

Wolfbutter
01-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Like when drinking a water bottle, do you share it around with friends? I think it's gross because of saliva and germs but some of my friends do it

WebDudette
01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Yes, I do. But I also piss in the shower.

A couple of my friends are majorly freaked out about it, but they are all around germaphobic. Most people I know just don't care.

killer_queen
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Yes, sometimes. But I don't piss in the shower.

I don't think it's hygienic and it IS disgusting on some levels but I always offer my drink to a thirsty friend. I wouldn't want to be rude.

Autonomist
01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm always hesitant to drink from someone else's drink. I have no problem offering my own though, though I always make sure they don't put their mouth on it.

Llamas
01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
If it's my friends, I do it. I make out with people... which is then much grosser, right? A person's mouth is pretty much the cleanest part of their body.

Sunny
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
yeah, i share drinks with friends/coworkers. i'm not too terrified of their oh so horrible mouth bacteriases!

on that note, germophobes annoy me. obsessively shielding yourself from "germs" is not all that good for you, yknow.

WebDudette
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I'll let a person drink out of my cup before I let them wear my headphones (which I also do).

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Rarely. The only times my lips will be touching the same drink as another is during sports, when one of my friends didn't bring any source of hydration and needs to use mine, or at a party when downing a fifth with friends.

But I never allow, and I hate it when people wear my hats or use my headphones. I don't want to take any chances.

Shit Eater!!!
01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Dude! My friends and I always used to poor drinks in each other's cups and chug 'em!

GreenTerror
01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't have any problems with sharing drinks with friends. As long as they're not like, total strangers/sick, there's no reason for it to bother me. It's not like your chewing used gum or anything. Eew.

Wolfbutter
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
how is chewing gum any different than someone putting their lips on your cap? not trying to be rude, just curious.

also, to that 1979 dude, what risks are there in letting someone use your headphone? ear infection? >_> and sharing a hat is a risks for lice? i think you would have a far better chance of getting sick by sharing drinks instead of lending hats or headphones

opivy21
01-21-2008, 07:53 PM
I was a big germophobe when I was little, but not so today. I don't mind sharing food or drink with people, I guess unless that person is particularly disgusting.

wheelchairman
01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I don't mind sharing drinks.

Germophobia is one thing, realizing the human body is amazingly good at repelling germs is quite another.

But this is hardly an every day problem now is it? Or even an interesting conversation for that matter...

Bazza
01-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I'll quote my mum here "we all share the same germs".

Whilst not strictly true, surely it builds up the imune system some what, fuck it I'll share drinks, it's not like I'll catch aids or anything...

GreenTerror
01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
how is chewing gum any different than someone putting their lips on your cap? not trying to be rude, just curious.

Well, with gum, it's entirely in someone's mouth, all over their teeth, and has the ability to get food particles embedded into it. I'm pretty sure putting your lips on a bottle top doesn't really have the same effect, and the food particle part could happen if there's backwash, though. :(
All that aside, sharing a bottle of water or something just doesn't sound nearly as disgusting as chewing someone else's pre-chewed gum.

WebDudette
01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Wolfbutter, I can almost guarantee that most peoples ears or hair is a lot dirtier then there mouth. Dandruff and ear wax are a lot more disgusting then saliva.

Really, unless someone has some kind of airborne virus or something there isn't the much of a risk in sharing drinks.

Rag Doll
01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
i share drinks with friends and coworkers. not really a big deal.

JohnnyNemesis
01-21-2008, 08:57 PM
This kind of reminds me of that Circumcision thread.

Camel Filters
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't really share drinks with anyone except for my girlfriend, whom I love very very much...

mrconeman
01-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Uhh, yeah?
It tends to happen more with alcoholic drinks, people who havent tried whatever you happen to be drinking usually ask to see what its like.

Normally I don't share drinks from bottles of coke or whatever, or even ask for one if I'm thirsty, it's not really that I find it gross, but I'm greedy when it's mine, and considerate when it's not.

Mota Boy
01-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Like when drinking a water bottle, do you share it around with friends? I think it's gross because of saliva and germs but some of my friends do itYou're more likely to get germs by holding hands than swapping saliva. I don't even think about it unless the person's sick, obviously.

batfish
01-22-2008, 05:12 AM
I used to hate sharing drinks; now I don't mind. I usually draw the line at bottles with sports caps, unless it's a very good friend who is very thirsty. (I know the cap doesn't make any diffference; it's just the thought)

Also: kids' birthday cakes. I never used to eat the icing because the birthday child would splutteringly blow the candles out, then have them re-lit for the photo opportunity, then all the kids would blow the candles out together... and the icing would end up covered in minute particles of every kid's spit.

Sunny
01-22-2008, 07:11 AM
But this is hardly an every day problem now is it?

germophobia? you'd be surprised, i constantly encounter people who are totally obsessed with that shit. they constantly spray antibacterial shit and apply Purell religiously. and like won't touch the restroom doorknob with bare hands cause "ew germz".

i swear, they'd be so fucking happy living like bubble boy.

Rag Doll
01-22-2008, 07:15 AM
yeah, i know so many people like that.

i only get like that if i have to run a register at work. because some customers are fucking disgusting human beings and i will purell my hands after i have dealings with some of them =\

Sunny
01-22-2008, 07:18 AM
yeah, that's totally understandable. i see a lot of people who work cash registers using that stuff.

but like... sitting in an office... answering phone calls.. and applying that shit every 15 minutes? that can't be good for you.

on a related note, my ex-boss gave her newborn baby a skin problem cause she bathed him obsessively to protect him from "germs".

nieh
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
germophobia? you'd be surprised, i constantly encounter people who are totally obsessed with that shit. they constantly spray antibacterial shit and apply Purell religiously. and like won't touch the restroom doorknob with bare hands cause "ew germz".

i swear, they'd be so fucking happy living like bubble boy.

You know Three G's!?

JoY
01-22-2008, 07:34 AM
yes, I do. & I also pee in the shower.

what people are afraid of seems to be nature as a whole. this is insane. hygene is keeping your shit clean, not shielding yourself from every single possible source of micro-organisms. when your immune system functions normally, there are relatively few populations that could cause pathology & believe me, those are not that likely to wield in your friends' mouths. unless you have never allowed your immune system to get acquainted with perfectly physiologic micro-organisms.

Nicole
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I do, unless they or I are sick and have the flu or something else that is catching. I know there's some kind of scare campaign about catching meningacoccal (sp?) but you can get that from making out with carriers and who is gonna give up a good kiss because you might catch some rare disease?

More along the lines of what Isa said, that's what the immune system is for. The mouth is highly protected by the immune system. So unless you're one of those people that needs to live in a bubble, who cares.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-22-2008, 07:30 PM
also, to that 1979 dude, what risks are there in letting someone use your headphone? ear infection? >_> and sharing a hat is a risks for lice? i think you would have a far better chance of getting sick by sharing drinks instead of lending hats or headphones
Yes, lice. I had lice once from batting helmets in baseball three or so years ago. It was horrible. It only lasted a couple days, I didn't have to shave my head or anything, just the fact that there were bugs living on my scalp was horrific.

Headphones still touch hair. And like Cody said, dandruff and ear wax are disgusting too.

GreenTerror
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Also: kids' birthday cakes. I never used to eat the icing because the birthday child would splutteringly blow the candles out, then have them re-lit for the photo opportunity, then all the kids would blow the candles out together... and the icing would end up covered in minute particles of every kid's spit.

I never ever thought of that before. Thanks for giving me my new phobia of the day :(

batfish
01-23-2008, 08:27 AM
On the plus side, we've reached the age where people should be able to blow out birthday cake candles without spluttering.

Though it's weird to think that's the only occasion where it's perfectly normal to have a friend blow over your food just before you eat it.

Denial, Revisited
01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Though it's weird to think that's the only occasion where it's perfectly normal to have a friend blow over your food just before you eat it.

Hahaha! Very amusing :D

Splinter[PI]
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I do share my drinks...

why not? I don't know if your friends slobber all over the bottle, but as far as I know my friends don't.

I share my drinks in sports or everywhere...
And at partys, but then those who usually don't share drinks are too drunk to care about it...

Nina
01-24-2008, 04:51 AM
I absolutely do. I dont mind doing that with somewhat "strangers", either. I dunno, I just dont think it's a big deal.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-24-2008, 01:11 PM
A person's mouth is pretty much the cleanest part of their body.

And a medicine fact - it is the most dirty part after the anus. The female's vagina has less bacteria than the mouth. Actually, I don't really care. I never have a bottle of water in me, and the alcohol kills the bacteria, so, yeah, I share drinks with friends... :rolleyes:

Llamas
01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
There is the most bacteria, yeah. What I meant was that it has the least amount of harmful stuff. The bacteria in your mouth doesn't make you sick, it's good bacteria.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Not always - the one that eats away the teeth and so lives peacefully in your friends moth + if there's an infection or a virus... Btw I really don't care about that - I NEVER get sick, can't get even the harmless cold... and I go with a T-shirt and a jacket in the minus temps :)

Jakebert
01-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Depends on the friend, mainly because the only place I can get beer without getting carded is horribly expensive. The people that run it know that anywhere that doesn't card can jack up prices, so they do. I share with friends that I know would share with me, and that's about it.

I've lost a friend over beer sharing, though. Well, he was that kid that hangs out with me, but I can't stand...you know the situation. He tried to take some of my beer without asking, so I just used that as my excuse to not talk to him again. It worked well.

iPunk247
02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
i'll admit it ok, i used to share it with my cousins male and females and nothings happened to me nor to them. so like yeah whatevers i am a tru punx.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Hey, if you're shaggin' all your friends, even the male ones, only fair to offer them a drink afterwards.

:cool:.