PDA

View Full Version : My Knowledge of Politics

Scizor me timbersss
01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Is it bad if your 17 and don't know anything about politics?

Shit Eater!!!
01-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I think you'll live.

Scizor me timbersss
01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not really worried about it.

Just wondering cause i'll be able to vote in this election.

whatever

WebDudette
01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
If you can vote and plan on voting you should know something. I won't be able to vote so I actually haven't paid any attention.

Llamas
01-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Last night, my friend said that she votes for whoever her bf/now husband tells her to. :-/ She also said she's republican all the way. I can't stand either mentality... voting for who someone tells you to, or always voting on a single party, regardless of candidate.

WebDudette
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Uhh... yeah, when I vote I'm not going to be a tool.

Jebus
01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I didn't really care/understand much about politics until turning 18. You're fine.

I used to be a big digg user, but then the Ron Paul spam bots started to invade. Although I hate him and his zombie followers, they did end up sparking an interest about the coming election in me. I'm still no guru, but I guess I could muster up an opinion for each of the candidates.

0r4ng3
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM
For a while I was kind of a supporter of Ron Paul, based on digg. Then I later realized what the real world thought of him and I jumped that ship hell of quick.

As far as the original topic, it's perfectly normal to have little knowledge of politics at 17. There are lots of people who go through their entire lives not knowing.

Mota Boy
01-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Last night, my friend said that she votes for whoever her bf/now husband tells her to. :-/ She also said she's republican all the way. I can't stand either mentality... voting for who someone tells you to, or always voting on a single party, regardless of candidate.Well, in her defense, that does sound like the type of behavior that voting straight Republican Party would best represent.

RickyCrack
01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
shit eater = scizor me timbers?

Apathy
01-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Seems somewhat obvious from what I've seen in other threads.

But related to something JN said, my textbook for Advanced Placement U.S. Government/Comparative Politics. aka that class with the hella long name maintains that numerous studies "prove" that 1/5 of the population lives their life completely oblivious to all political participation.

Then, of course there is a large fraction of the population that vote, but don't actually know a damn thing.

JohnnyNemesis
01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Wait, what was it I said again? My memory is fuzzy.

Meg
01-24-2008, 04:05 AM
In all honesty I know nothing about politics, and I don't pretend to. That's why I doubt i'll ever vote.

Besides which, there's plenty of people my country who know who should be in government, and they vote. I'm sure they won't miss my vote at all.

Rag Doll
01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
with the way things currently are, no, it's not really a big deal. though, i wish civics classes were mandatory from a young age, and therefore everyone would know and hopefully be able to make an informed decision. *shrug*

Camel Filters
01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Is it bad if your 17 and don't know anything about politics?

no, I'm 20 and I have no clue about politics.

wheelchairman
01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
with the way things currently are, no, it's not really a big deal. though, i wish civics classes were mandatory from a young age, and therefore everyone would know and hopefully be able to make an informed decision. *shrug*

What is a civics class?

The real issue is that no one seems to really know or understand the underlying reason why people vote. Social pressure? The fear that if you don't vote, you're neighbor will and then you're screwed? Democratic responsibility?

I mean everyone knows that they won't make a difference purely number wise.

Nor do I see why it's a goal in and of itself to get everyone voting. What can people learn from a class like that?

Camel Filters
01-24-2008, 06:19 PM
What is a civics class?

It's like a history class. I don't know how other states run there school programs but my high school district makes you take civics as a freshmen. I never paid much attention in Civics and plus that was like 6 years ago so I wouldn't remember anything even if I did pay attention.

GreenTerror
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
The only time I've had Civics was in 8th grade. I remember there being a little bit of History, but it was mainly focused on how the government/voting works. I actually enjoyed it and did well.

WebDudette
01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
I also had Civics in 8th grade. I slept.

GreenTerror
01-24-2008, 07:50 PM
I also had Civics in 8th grade. I slept.

Terrorist.

Jakebert
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I had civics a few times, actually. Once in 8th grade, 10th grade, and 12th.

WebDudette
01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I have AP Gov./Econ. next year, which I believe is similar.

Rag Doll
01-24-2008, 08:04 PM
It's not a requirement in the school districts here. I took it numerous times because I absolutely fucking love politics/government (helllllo, it's my major). But it should be a requirement because it actually has an impact on everyone's life. buhhhh.

Sunny
01-24-2008, 08:15 PM

for realz, it's insane how many people just don't have a clue. i feel like i'm relatively well informed compared to many Americans, and it's kinda sad, cause hello, i'm foreign. i can't even vote.

llamas, that sounds like my sister in law. back in the day she was going to vote for bush cause he's a republican and a "good christian man" with strong values. and because her church people told her to. except she was too lazy so she never voted. ;z
eee.

wheelchairman
01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
It's not a requirement in the school districts here. I took it numerous times because I absolutely fucking love politics/government (helllllo, it's my major). But it should be a requirement because it actually has an impact on everyone's life. buhhhh.

Sure it affects everyone, but how big is their opportunity to affect it?

I mean it's easy enough for you when it's your interest, or for those of you interested. But for people who aren't already interested, it's kinda pointless to pay lip service to a system where their participation is negligible.

Unless of course they are planning on being active in the political system. But then they wouldn't need to be "forced" to attend these courses in the first place.

HornyPope
01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
for realz, it's insane how many people just don't have a clue. i feel like i'm relatively well informed compared to many Americans, and it's kinda sad, cause hello, i'm foreign. i can't even vote.

llamas, that sounds like my sister in law. back in the day she was going to vote for bush cause he's a republican and a "good christian man" with strong values. and because her church people told her to. except she was too lazy so she never voted. ;z
eee.

Today a girl told me she believed Obama was an honest man. The example is not as extreme, and nothing against either of the persons, but I guess people believe what they want to believe, right?

Rag Doll
01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Sure it affects everyone, but how big is their opportunity to affect it?

I mean it's easy enough for you when it's your interest, or for those of you interested. But for people who aren't already interested, it's kinda pointless to pay lip service to a system where their participation is negligible.

Unless of course they are planning on being active in the political system. But then they wouldn't need to be "forced" to attend these courses in the first place.

Well, the reason I think it should be taught from a young age is so people have more of a chance to develop an interest in it. You know? Maybe if they learn more about it, they'll become more interested and know more about what is going on and maybe then they CAN change more, especially at a local level. Voter turnout is absolutely appalling in the US. I'm not talking about civics classed being required in college or high school. I mean talking more about it and the government starting in like 1st grade and continuing throughout a person's education. And not just like, "Washington did this and Kennedy did that"...but like, more about the Constitution, what the different branches do, how elections work, etc. Fuck, even the political parties. I had to take intro to politics my first semester in college. I was the only PoliSci major in the class (you don't get to pick your classes the first semester at my school)....and more than half the class couldn't even name the two main political parties in the US. ridiculous.

coke_a_holic
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Jeez, suddenly living right next to Washington, DC shows its advantages. I've been beaten over the head with politics since 2nd grade, learning about the branches and about different presidents and everything. In middle school, it subsided, and then in High School, we had AP NSL. Apparently, some people have NSL mixed with Economics, which seems kinda weird. They're two separate classes here; NSL is mandatory, taken in 9th or 10th grade, then Economics is an elective that not very many people take. I'm taking it this year and it's a pretty sweet class.

But yeah, I assumed that all schools received at least similar education on politics, though I often suspected that my proximity to Washington, DC was why we were given so much information on it. Though I don't see why that should make a difference; anyone from any state is just as likely to become a politician, I just happen to live in the same area as where those people work.

T-6005
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Honestly, I choose to be completely ignorant of Politics. I have an intense dislike for most political candidates and all of the neo-liberal backing that comes with them.

Apathy
01-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Wait, what was it I said again? My memory is fuzzy.

I thought it was you, appearantly it was Jesse.

I have AP Gov./Econ. next year, which I believe is similar.

What Grade are you in? I'm in Ap Gov/comparative politics right now, which I'm assuming is close to the class that you're talking about. Also, is it a year long class?

WebDudette
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
I'll be a Senior when I take it. Its only half a year I believe. We don't have year long classes unless we have an A/B class.

TBD
01-25-2008, 01:42 AM
It's better to admit you don't know anything than act like you don't when you really have no idea what is going on.

Don't worry about it. Your vote won't matter anyways.

I have my bachelors degree in politics (and took way more politics classes than I needed to earn this degree) and all I've come to realize is that there is no such thing as good and evil for the vast majority of political systems, only various interpretations of the socio-economic effects.

Is Evo Morales a hero or a villain? Depends on who you talk to. Hugo Chavez? Depends on who you talk to. Ronald Reagan? Same shit.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 02:47 PM
All I know is that the politicians are dumb, retarded, rich, stealing, fat-ass bastards :D

0r4ng3
01-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Okay, I think the punx levels in this thread have maxed out.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 03:46 PM
My grand-grandfather was an anarchist... :] No kidding.

Jebus
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
My father was a commie back in the day, but now he's a big bush supporter when he's drunk apparently.

iPunk247
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz ZzZzZzZz)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

WebDudette
02-22-2008, 10:06 PM
You bumped a month old thread to say it was boring? This is why I hate you.

iPunk247
02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
hate me or love me i couldn't care a shit fucking less you blue balls prick dick !

Sunny
02-27-2008, 01:49 PM
dear ipunk, two things:

1. how old are you?
2. did you have any exposure to lead as a child (paint chips and the like)?

if you're older than 10, and answered no to #2, then what on god's green earth is your fucking problem?

Smash punker
02-28-2008, 12:48 AM
What I know about politics? Policy? Just a few things, but Iīm an anarchist, so I donīt care about this fucking stuff. Well I know one song from my favourite band - Kill the president :D