PDA

View Full Version : shift premiums

Camel Filters
01-25-2008, 12:16 PM
What's your oppinions on shift premiums for 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift employees. As we all know first shift doesn't get a premium but snd and 3rd shift does. I think it's unfair. I don't know how it works in other states or other companys but snd shift gets 50 cents more then 1st shift and 3rd shift gets 75 cents more then 1st shift. I think 1st shift should get some kind of a premium because it's the hardest shift to work for cause of all the bosses are there and plus I think first shift is more productive then 2nd and 3rd.

Llamas
01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
It's not about what the hardest shift is. It's about demand. If 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifts all paid the same amount, they'd never get enough 3rd shifters. Very few people willingly work overnight for the same pay they could make working during the day. I personally like how it is, too, cause I ain't never gonna be no 1st shifter ;)

Little_Miss_1565
01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
It's also about the impact to quality of life, which goes into what Llamas said about the demand. It is very difficult to get someone to agree to sleep during the day and work at night. Gets lonely.

I personally like what the Apple store does--every two weeks, a person's start time gets two hours later so that everyone works all shifts equally.

Camel Filters
01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I understand the reason why 3rd shifters should get more then everyone else but I think that 1st and 2nd shift should get paid the same. I mean, 2nd shift gets the privlidge of sleeping in till 1:00 or 2:00 while first shifters has to wake up at the crack of dawn. I used to work 2nd shift for about a year in a half before I decided to switch to first at the end of Augest, and it was nice sleeping in. I've overslept 5 times since I switched to first.

nieh
01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Sleeping in is nice, but having your schedule be completely opposite of all your friends is not.

Camel Filters
01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I ain't never gonna be no 1st shifter ;)

That's a triple negative. So does that mean that you will eventually be a first shifter at some point in your life?

Little_Miss_1565
01-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I understand the reason why 3rd shifters should get more then everyone else but I think that 1st and 2nd shift should get paid the same. I mean, 2nd shift gets the privlidge of sleeping in till 1:00 or 2:00 while first shifters has to wake up at the crack of dawn. I used to work 2nd shift for about a year in a half before I decided to switch to first at the end of Augest, and it was nice sleeping in. I've overslept 5 times since I switched to first.

You might get to sleep in on 2nd shift, sure. But you'll never get to go out during the week again.