PDA

View Full Version : Accents

Llamas
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
So I went to a burger joint today, and some lady asked the boy behind the counter if he likes reuben. He says that he's from Serbia and never tried it, and I suddenly found him to be a sexyboy. The accent totally gets me. I've realized that dudes with ex-Yugoslavian accents are totally hot, while an Arkansas one really turns me off. But I probably would've brushed over this guy and not found him crazy hot, til I heard him talk.

What are your favorite accents?? I know I'm not the only person who finds certain accents sexy... and others nasty.

The Talking Pie
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Irish, definitely.

Sunny
01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
i'm not really huge on accents. i kinda dislike foreign ones (i'm just glad i don't have a really strong eastern euro one...) and southern ones (luckily my mens doesn't have too much of a drawl...). i like irish accents, some british (think lily allen) and valley girl accents. lols. "plain" american, nyc and new england accents are cool too.

calichix
01-25-2008, 01:55 PM
dude I've so been there. like someone is totally unfine then you hear their accent and they're megababes. mmmhmm.

eastern european accents are sooo foxy! they're totally james bond babe. irish, australian (geoffery rush australian not crocodile dundee australian), trashy english accents, southern drawls are super foxy but people from like oklahoma who have just like, american with a side of incest accents- *ralph*. bella's was really cute, but some dutch accents just sounded american.

the bronxe accent and the boston accents are my favorites. the manchester accent is my least favorite. "are you from americohhh?!" ughhhGOD. I think I'd find my accent annoying if I wasn't from california. or like the shakabra boys I hang out with could be annoying if you're not used to it. "chya, fer sher. all see you soon." zomg, killing me softly is on. so good.

JohnnyNemesis
01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
the bronxe accent and the boston accents are my favorites.

I KNOW SOMEONE FROM THE BRONX HIS NAME IS ME IT IS ME.

Boston though? YAHHH YA FAWKIN' SHITBAWXES!

zomg, killing me softly is on. so good.

Marry me immediately, please.

Camel Filters
01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I like austrailian accents.

TBD
01-25-2008, 04:17 PM
+1 attractive point to any girl with a British or Australian accent.

WebDudette
01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Some British and Austrailian accents are nice, but some are God awful.

Sinister
01-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I generally don't mind other people's accents. But mine bothers me. A lot. Because it screams French Canadian.

IamSam
01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Some British accents are very nice.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I'd have to say, Welsh, Mockney an this Swedish girl I worked with had a rather cute voice!

Bazza
01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I find Eastern European accents sexy for some reasons. Also a good spanish accent seems pretty cool. I find varying English accents annoying simply because I can differentiate between them and know where abouts the person comes from.

Tizzalicious
01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I like some British ones, but some are horrendous.

And I like the accent they have in some parts of the south of the Netherlands. It sounds so sweet <3

Llamas
01-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loooooves Eastern European accents. :p Fuck yeah.

I like British accents if they are Scottish... but I don't really like English or Welsh accents too much. Irish accents sound practically the same as Scottish to me, so I love both, haha. Aussie/NZ accents are pretty cool, too.

I love Spanish accents (especially if it's actually Spain Spanish and not SA/Mexico Spanish, cause the lisps are somehow oddly adorable), and Finnish accents lol.

Mota Boy
01-25-2008, 09:09 PM
while an Arkansas one really turns me off.In all fairness, I find a Minnesota/Wisconsin accent the least attractive.

Irish, definitely. Though English and Aussie are also nice. An Irish girl is the only type of girl you can really call a "lass". For some reason that information seems extremely pertinent to whatever point I'm trying to make. Eastern European is nice, but cold and sharp/pointy. For some reason, any sexual thoughtss with voices like that revolve around an uncomfortable place, like the backseat of a Volkswagon. Southern can be extremely hot *if* it's done right. If you can affect a Southern accent and still sound smart it's, like, double bonus points.

zomg, killing me softly is on. so good.
Ever since I killed my computer I have a new appreciation for Youtube, since downloading is no longer an option, Youtube is the best way for me to scratch any aural itch. A couple days ago I spent two hours listening to nothing but "Killing Me Softly", "Ready or Not" and then "If I Ruled" by Nas. When I'm eighty I'm going to rant at my grandkids about the awful state of music, and then I'm gonna to force them to sit down and appreciate "Brass Monkey", while I slowly nod my head and tap my cane (I will have a cane. Being able to carry one in style is one of the few perks of an octogenarian.)

T-6005
01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I have very little appreciation of accents - I've had to deal with so many over the years that it's a habit to make sure I'm understanding people correctly more than appreciating the sound of the voice.

Even so, there's something about Americanized asian accents, but that's more being used to it than anything. You grow to miss things you grow up with.

Nina
01-26-2008, 04:22 AM
I enjoy most British accents, and the way people in New Zealand speak. I love listening to Indians speak English, I think it's cute and interesting.
I HATE all German dialects and I'm not fond on most American accents, though I understand them better than any other accent.

mrconeman
01-26-2008, 04:44 AM
Yeah, we have the best accent.

The more posh sounding English accent is actually quite hot, like Lilly Allen's speaking voice, yeah. Most other English accents are totally gross though, and the Welsh accent is like listening to someone chew food really loudly while shouting. I've become so de-sensitized to some American accents on tv that it's just like listening to an Irish accent for me, except obviously it's different when I meet an American irl.

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2008, 08:26 AM
A couple days ago I spent two hours listening to nothing but "Killing Me Softly", "Ready or Not" and then "If I Ruled" by Nas.

What I like about that is they're in many ways the same song, those three. They blur together in my childhood memories.

calichix
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
ooh I forgot to specify, east coast accents are mega unattractive on women. and phili accents just fucking suck.

ps: dude, fugees. <3!

WebDudette
01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I like that there are many, many people who believe that they don't have an accent.

I'd like to add that strong Asian accents are hilarious or hurarious if you will.

I just laughed at my own bad joke -_-.

calichix
01-27-2008, 08:29 PM
this sounds totally Dude Wearing A Wolf T-Shirt With Jeans That Are Tight Around the Ankle and Really Long Hair, but Japanese girls who don't speak english very well are soooo cute.

WebDudette
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Haha chyeah, my best friends cousin was visiting from Japan a year or so ago. She was awesome.

JohnnyNemesis
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
ps: dude, fugees. <3!

I'm gonna fiiiiiiiind you, and take it slooooowly.

I like that there are many, many people who believe that they don't have an accent.

It amuses me greatly.

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2008, 08:32 PM
ooh I forgot to specify, east coast accents are mega unattractive on women.

:mad::mad::mad: U SUK OMG OMG OMG

Okay, so it's not like I have a seriously thick east coast accent. But I have been known to listen to MAHrissey in BAHston from time to time. And sometimes, I just like to tell people to buy me a PBaaah at the baaaah because it's funny.

calichix
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
BAStan or CAH is cute on anyone in the world, but a lot of the time women over there have this whiney twinge that I haven't heard from dudes and it drives me crazy. Like "maaaaay" instead of "me". if it's slight it's probably foxy, if it's fran whatshername, :xxxx

Llamas
01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
In all fairness, I find a Minnesota/Wisconsin accent the least attractive.
Umm? I don't see how it's "in all fairness"... seems kind of odd that I mentioned my least favorite accent, and you picked two states with quite different accents (One very German, and one very Norwegian) as your least favorites. Regardless, my accent doesn't really fit either state's accent... I sound mostly like anyone from Chicago.

ooh I forgot to specify, east coast accents are mega unattractive on women. and phili accents just fucking suck.
haha, I agree. I don't really find them hot for guys, either, but they're just terrible for girls!

I'd like to add that strong Asian accents are hilarious or hurarious if you will.

I concur with both statements. I do get angry, though, when people I know seriously argue that they don't have an accent... it's not that hard to accept.

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Ohhhhhhh check. I took that to mean New England but I think what you are talking about is the New York accent. Each borough has its own particular flavor of it but I am not a fan in any instance. But it's where I live, so there's really only so much I can do.

calichix
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
not even "sweetaht"?!! are you deaf to it when you live there? every time my sister and I are in ny we have ditzy mouthing "oh my god" at each other episodes every time someone says "sweetaht".

Betty
01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Umm? I don't see how it's "in all fairness"...

He's from Arkansas.

I never used to think I had an accent until my British roommate mentioned it. Big eye opener there. But honestly, how often do people speak of Canadian accents? Well, I guess they make fun of a few sayings, but not so much a whole accent.

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Oh no no, not deaf. It annoys me to no end as well. But at the end of the day I have to live here and if I think about it too much I will hate it more than I do.

JohnnyNemesis
01-27-2008, 08:54 PM
two states with quite different accents (One very German, and one very Norwegian) as your least favorites.

If you think anyone outside of that area can tell the difference/cares enough to tell the difference, you craaaaaaaazy, baby.

wheelchairman
01-27-2008, 09:06 PM
two states with quite different accents (One very German, and one very Norwegian)

dude..wait...what?

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
And a little bit Canadian.

Llamas
01-27-2008, 09:20 PM
If you think anyone outside of that area can tell the difference/cares enough to tell the difference, you craaaaaaaazy, baby.
cares enough to tell the difference is one thing... being able to tell the difference is ridiculous. They're very different.

dude..wait...what?
Wisconsin was settled by Germans... a lot of the dialect and accent in Wisconsin still resembles that of the settlers (especially the dialect). Minnesotan accents (outside the metropolis) are very norwegian. There are cities where everyone still speaks Norwegian, and the welcome signs are still the original Norwegian ones... they haven't been replaced by English ones.

And a little bit Canadian.
haha, sortakinda. Canada doesn't have one accent any more than the US does, though.

wheelchairman
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Wisconsin was settled by Germans... a lot of the dialect and accent in Wisconsin still resembles that of the settlers (especially the dialect). Minnesotan accents (outside the metropolis) are very norwegian. There are cities where everyone still speaks Norwegian, and the welcome signs are still the original Norwegian ones... they haven't been replaced by English ones.

I'm aware they were settled by Germans and Norwegians. But to say they have German or Norwegian accents is just flat out wrong. (except perhaps in those towns where they speak Norwegian.) I've never heard an American accent that sounded German OR Norwegian. You can probably find traces of those accents if you really try hard, I don't know.

And lol welcome in Norwegian is Velkommen, they have those lame signs in all communities of scandinavian descent.

Llamas
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm aware they were settled by Germans and Norwegians. But to say they have German or Norwegian accents is just flat out wrong. (except perhaps in those towns where they speak Norwegian.) I've never heard an American accent that sounded German OR Norwegian. You can probably find traces of those accents if you really try hard, I don't know.

And lol welcome in Norwegian is Velkommen, they have those lame signs in all communities of scandinavian descent.

Outside of the metropolis, this is a rather common sounding Minnesotan accent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6C4qsQcXvY

And in Wisconsin, it's more the dialect than the accent, but it's still there.

Regardless, I never said they have German and Norwegian accents. I said they were influenced by/resemble German and Norwegian accents, especially as far as American accents are concerned.

And no it's not just a "velkommen" sign. More than that. But this is getting dumb. My point was that the accents differ quite strongly. That is all.

Sidewinder
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Southern can be extremely hot *if* it's done right. If you can affect a Southern accent and still sound smart it's, like, double bonus points.

I'm so going to seduce you.

ps I really don't find any accents extremely appealing over others.

wheelchairman
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Outside of the metropolis, this is a rather common sounding Minnesotan accent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6C4qsQcXvY

And in Wisconsin, it's more the dialect than the accent, but it's still there.

Regardless, I never said they have German and Norwegian accents. I said they were influenced by/resemble German and Norwegian accents, especially as far as American accents are concerned.

And no it's not just a "velkommen" sign. More than that. But this is getting dumb. My point was that the accents differ quite strongly. That is all.

oh wow that woman creeps me out. Most Norwegians have better accents (when speaking English) than that.

Anyways you said they were "very norwegian", but now I understand what you meant better and naturally I agree with you. Her accent for example, while very norwegian also had clear influences from Canadian and I think Scottish.

and lol she lives in Lindstrom.

calichix
01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Wisconsin and Minnesota accents both sound like the mom from Bobby's World.

and whaaaat! I love the sweetaht. I just h8s the "mayyyy".

Llamas
01-27-2008, 10:00 PM
oh wow that woman creeps me out. Most Norwegians have better accents (when speaking English) than that.

Anyways you said they were "very norwegian", but now I understand what you meant better and naturally I agree with you. Her accent for example, while very norwegian also had clear influences from Canadian and I think Scottish.

and lol she lives in Lindstrom.

I don't think her accent is what's so terrible, it's the dialect, haha. Minnesotan dialect is hilarious. But that's just me.
I don't hear Scottish in her accent, but yes, she probably lives pretty far North in Minnesota, close enough to Winnipeg that the accent there would certainly not stray completely.
But yeah, I live in the metropolis, so very few people where I live talk like that (just people who moved from different areas)... as accents tend to smoothe out in any big city. And you'll never hear anyone from Wisconsin talking like that, haha. Especially where I grew up, so close to Chicago.

Llamas
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Wisconsin and Minnesota accents both sound like the mom from Bobby's World.

Nope, Bobby's world mom is very stereotypically Minnesotan. lol I even wiki'd it to check

Martha Generic, Bobby's mother, who speaks with a heavy Minnesota accent and often punctuates her speech with odd phrases like "Fer cryin' in the mud", "gee golley" and "don't'cha know"."

I love such phrases.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eDlwcm95I&feature=related :D :D

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
cares enough to tell the difference is one thing... being able to tell the difference is ridiculous. They're very different.

haha, sortakinda. Canada doesn't have one accent any more than the US does, though.

Well, I think my sister and I look nothing alike but I posted a picture of the two of us to Facebook and a friend asked something like "how did Sarah take a picture of herself next to herself?" Point being, when you're in the middle of something, you don't always have the distance to see it the way others do. You see all the detail, which is largely lost on those outside it.

Yes, the US has loads of accents, but for example you wouldn't say Hugh Laurie affects a Midwestern accent in House. One might just say it's an American accent. Throw in some oot and aboots and eh's and it's Canadian, not particularly one province or another.

sKratch
01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Being able to carry one in style is one of the few perks of an octogenarian.)

Nonagenarian was the word of the day for dictionary.com the other week...

JohnnyNemesis
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Well, I think my sister and I look nothing alike but I posted a picture of the two of us to Facebook and a friend asked something like "how did Sarah take a picture of herself next to herself?" Point being, when you're in the middle of something, you don't always have the distance to see it the way others do. You see all the detail, which is largely lost on those outside it.

The fact that this actually had to be pointed out kind of saddens me.

Btw, I had that same question when I saw that picture on Facebook but I decided not to ask it.

Llamas
01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Actually, that didn't have to be pointed out. I was going to mention much sooner that I know things are much more obvious sometimes when you're in the middle of things, but I figured that was such a given I didn't have to say it.

And to be fair, I didn't even realize just how different the accents were until I left the country for six months.

And also, I don't see how it's much different from how different an Ohio accent is from a Philly accent. They're just about the same distance apart.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-27-2008, 10:49 PM
My mom is from Iowa and likes to say that Iowa has the most neutral accent in the country, and that news reporters are always recruited from Iowa for that reason. I disagree. My mom is pretty neutral sounding to me, but my grandma and one of my cousins both have what sounds like a Minnesotan accent, and they've each lived in Iowa their whole life. I'm gonna conclude that the Iowa accent is a watered-down Minnesota accent.

I'm taking a class about varieties of American English right now, and of course we're "learning" that there is no correct or "neutral" form of American English, and that everyone speaks a dialect, but we were asked in an in-class survey which regions we thought had the most neutral accents. I decided it would be Oregon and Washington along with Maryland and Delaware. Both regions represent a mix of two or more commonly recognized accents. Really the whole West could be argued as an area of accent-mixing as a result of having settlers from everywhere, resulting in neutrality, but Californians have words and accents of their own, and mountain folk always talk weird.

wheelchairman
01-27-2008, 11:56 PM
I've heard a similar story to Xylo's that Oregon/Washington dialects were the ones preferred by Hollywood in the 1920's, and that's why it's the dialect we associate with American English. Although not for being neutral (that being a term probably created after an accent was already deemed the 'american one'.) But for sounding the nicest.

calichix
01-28-2008, 12:18 AM
that makes complete sense. people from oregon sound like californians who speak nicely.

WebDudette
01-28-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm obviously biased because I grew up here, but I still find Arizona accents to be really neutral.

Meg
01-28-2008, 05:06 AM
I think most people will find their own accent to be neutral, because they can't really hear themselves, and it's the accent they've always had.

I love west country accents [think farmers], but Australian accents pretty much drive me mad. It sounds far too much like a made-up false accent, and for that reason I find it impossible to watch things like home and away or neighbours.

The Liverpool accent annoys me a bit, especially the habit they have of saying "eerrrmmm...."

And I like Scottish and Irish accents too. The Welsh accent is pretty nice too.

But I still consider my own accent to be "neutral". Although it still has twangs of northern-ish accent =/

mrconeman
01-28-2008, 06:50 AM
The Welsh accent sounds like a typewriter eating tin foil being kicked down a set of stairs, what's wrong with you?!

T-6005
01-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Typewriters don't have mouths lol

There's a personal habit I have that kind of annoys me. I tend to pick up a slight bit of the accents of people around me, or rather I act like I do (well, I don't know, really - I know it's not on purpose), and whenever I notice it's oddly aggravating. I lived with 2 Australian guys for 6 months back in Japan, and when I moved away everything was "shtewpid" instead of stupid.

I am better about it than my brother, though - listening to him now makes me laugh. He's going to school in Lebanon with a bunch of British people. He sounds like a complete dickhead.

In other news, someone with an Australian accent saying the word dickhead sounds fantastic.

mrconeman
01-28-2008, 06:54 AM

Nor should the Welsh.

T-6005
01-28-2008, 07:05 AM
I think I just brain farted, because the first thing that came to mind was "NEITHER SHOULD YOUR MOM."

And that is just so sad.

Meg
01-28-2008, 07:13 AM
The Welsh accent sounds like a typewriter eating tin foil being kicked down a set of stairs, what's wrong with you?!

It depends where in Wales you go to. Some places have a horrible accent, and some have a softer one. So yeah =P Mid wales is nice.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-28-2008, 07:22 AM

Ain't nothing wrong with the Welsh accent!

Char char chee char!

wheelchairman
01-28-2008, 08:57 AM

There's a personal habit I have that kind of annoys me. I tend to pick up a slight bit of the accents of people around me, or rather I act like I do (well, I don't know, really - I know it's not on purpose), and whenever I notice it's oddly aggravating. I lived with 2 Australian guys for 6 months back in Japan, and when I moved away everything was "shtewpid" instead of stupid.

I have the same thing. But I just find it embarrassing.

T-6005
01-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I have the same thing. But I just find it embarrassing.
I save my embarrassment in the matter for my brother, who I've already mentioned. He just sounds ridiculous to me.

Come to think of it, anyone who uses the word twat commonly sounds ridiculous to me. But faux-british sentences surrounding the word just make it that much worse.

Shoukran, akhoya.

Homer
01-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I am justified when I say that I fit the definition of a neutral accent.

Though, I sometimes tend to have a Newfie accent every once and a while, since I would always do impressions of them. You know, care instead of car, pear-ty instead of party. It's terrible!

T-6005
01-28-2008, 09:41 AM
I am justified when I say that I have a neutral accent.

Though, I sometimes tend to have a Newfie accent every once and a while, since I would always do impressions of them. You know, care instead of car, pear-ty instead of party. It's terrible!
Yeah, but I forgive them since Jigg's dinner is so damn good.

Llamas
01-28-2008, 09:49 AM
My mom is from Iowa and likes to say that Iowa has the most neutral accent in the country, and that news reporters are always recruited from Iowa for that reason. I disagree. My mom is pretty neutral sounding to me, but my grandma and one of my cousins both have what sounds like a Minnesotan accent, and they've each lived in Iowa their whole life. I'm gonna conclude that the Iowa accent is a watered-down Minnesota accent.
Yeah, some northwestern Iowans share a common accent with Minnesotans. Kinda odd, but the rest of the state (outside the big cities) often have pretty hick/country sounding accents instead.

I'm taking a class about varieties of American English right now, and of course we're "learning" that there is no correct or "neutral" form of American English, and that everyone speaks a dialect, but we were asked in an in-class survey which regions we thought had the most neutral accents. I decided it would be Oregon and Washington along with Maryland and Delaware. Both regions represent a mix of two or more commonly recognized accents. Really the whole West could be argued as an area of accent-mixing as a result of having settlers from everywhere, resulting in neutrality, but Californians have words and accents of their own, and mountain folk always talk weird.

Well, according to world English linguists, the north midwestern accents are considered the most "plain", as in they're the closest to how things are in the dictionary. Northwestern accents are considered by many linguists to be, but from what I've learned, the consensus is on midwestern. Our accents here are very flat and boring, so I would believe it. Hollywood movie stars in the early 20th century were definitely from the west coast... these days, national news reporters tend to be from the midwest. So I guess boring, flat accents are good for something, huh?

Nor should the Welsh.
These two comments were full of awesome. :)

I am better about it than my brother, though - listening to him now makes me laugh. He's going to school in Lebanon with a bunch of British people. He sounds like a complete dickhead.

In other news, someone with an Australian accent saying the word dickhead sounds fantastic.

I do that, too. Actually, when I came back from Europe, everyone said I lost all of the little bit of Minnesotan accent I had, and most of the midwestern... and it'd morphed into some weird British accent. It was because I spent all my time around Europeans whose second language was English... so they were still learning the language, and they were learning British English. So after 6 months around them, it really wore off on me. I picked so many little dialectal things, and how I spoke changed SO much. It took me a long time coming back here to return to the dialect here (most of which I've always hated and refuse to use), and my accent has become more American again, but I actually noticed all the little details of my accent when I went abroad, and they annoyed me. So I've refused to allow myself to say many things the midwestern way, haha.

Bazza
01-28-2008, 10:44 AM
As far as my accent goes, I'd have to say I've got a fairly "neutral" accent. This is mainly because I have no stereotypical accent such as Brummies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wadMhL9NtOM&feature=related), Scousers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igVbyufw908), Generic Northern (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJr9ekTf0xc), Geordies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSHHbfY6MVc), Cockneys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyFJdgLp03o) etc. I have a normal east midlands (not yokel) accent. Especially being the midlands means that I have a mix of the whole north/south thing, which technically makes my accent similar to both ie neutral. If that makes any sense :p

Edit: with added examples

Tizzalicious
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
People have told my Dutch sounds weird :( Thank you Per, for screwing me up. At least my English is sounding better though!

I agree about Oregon having the most neutral accent. To me Per just sounds American, and not Annoying American, or Horribly Ugly American. Just...American.

calichix
01-28-2008, 11:44 PM
I never pick up on other accents when I'm in other countries. it just reinforces/exaggerates my own, which is embarrassing. I pick up on laughs really easily. suuuucks.

iPunk247
01-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Accents are very sexy depending on the person who I am with.

calichix
01-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm gonna take this opportunity to ask, ipunk, what's with the manga thing? do you get a gnardon for a half naked cartoon chick? do you jerk off watching cartoon sex? are there manga sex scenes?

I guess I kind of get it, cause jessica rabbit is so hot. but it still really skeeves me out for some reason.

Llamas
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I met a girl last night at Best Buy who was an acquaintance of my friends. She was speaking with what I initially just thought sounded like an odd English accent. Then I heard my friends say that she didn't have that accent a few months ago, she had a normal midwestern accent. So I asked her about it, she said that she lived in England for 6 months and "picks up accents so easily". I knew immediately that was bullshit. And the more I listened to her talk (which she did for a good hour or so while we were trying to leave to go eat), the more I could tell it was forced. Your accent will change a bit when you live in another country for a while, but you don't completely lose your own accent in that short of a time... and in the chance you would, you'd gain it back when you moved home. I had a friend who lived in London for like a year, and her dialect changed a little, but she didn't even pick up any of the accent. Anyway, this girl was extremely annoying in general, and it just was icing that she was pretty much faking an English accent... and going on about how "if you can fake a british accent in the US, you're treated so much better" and "can you believe how strong the US dollar is right now?" After I called her on that second one, she was like "No, the only countries that are stronger than the dollar are England, Australia, Russia, and Japan". After that, I just gave up. She had no idea what she was talking about.

Sorry, I really needed to rant there :)

JohnnyNemesis
01-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Ha! I think I know that girl.

Seriously though, I know someone similar. And she just gave up on the bullshit accent once enough people gave her shit for it. I found out later that my reaction to her accent was the straw that broke the camel's back, because she could tell that I wasn't trying to make fun of her and was honestly and genuinely disturbed by how fake her accent was.

Llamas
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
haha, good job. If I knew this girl for real and regularly saw her, I would have called her on it. But I'll never see her again, and I didn't like her. She's a stripper, though, and spends all her money on gadgets and traveling... so she'll probably go to some other country soon and pick up their accent :P

Vera
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Here is my euro royally fucking your dollar.

I can fake a British accent and I do something my English teacher adviced us against; mix and match between British English and American English. Though nowadays my English is probably mostly American slang but if you catch me when I've been rewatching my favourite British shows or something, it's kind of a different story.

Not sure if I mentioned I sounded exactly like Magdalena when I came home from NYC. Seriously. It creeped out me even more than it creeped out her.

It's all about exposure, really. I'm going to England for ten days in March but will be with a Finnish friend the whole time so less likely to be affected by the accents there.

Llamas
01-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Here is my euro royally fucking your dollar.
lol so true. I kept 230 euros when I came back to the states, and I'm just watching how much they're going up in value. I wish I had enough money to just convert a bunch to euros and make some money, haha.

I can fake a British accent and I do something my English teacher adviced us against; mix and match between British English and American English. Though nowadays my English is probably mostly American slang but if you catch me when I've been rewatching my favourite British shows or something, it's kind of a different story.

Not sure if I mentioned I sounded exactly like Magdalena when I came home from NYC. Seriously. It creeped out me even more than it creeped out her.

It's all about exposure, really. I'm going to England for ten days in March but will be with a Finnish friend the whole time so less likely to be affected by the accents there.

Yeah, that all makes total sense. When it's a non-native language you're dealing with, it's so much easier for the accent to be influenced. Much different than when you're born with a language and speak it in the same accent for 20 some years. Then it's so ingrained that it's not gonna change too much in 6 months.

My German accent changed A LOT when I went to Austria. Prior, I spoke more what they speak in middle Germany... now I've got a very Austrian accent.

Bazza
01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
I can fake a British accent
Prove it!

I'd love to hear peoples attempts at other accents than their own. It'd be funny...

calichix
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I can fake an english accent perfectly. half my family are londoners. sometimes I'd do it at restaurants when I lived there if I was feeling antisocial (they won't talk to you if you smile and say hello but if you're american they'll seize the opportunity to say, "fux george bush!" as though their opinion is sooo unorthodox). but god, I've met people exactly like the girl ilovellamas was talking about. it's so irritating. gives ye muscle tension.

WebDudette
01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Semi on topic, you know the kid that totally mimics other peoples reactions and way of talking? Even the way they laugh? I know a kid who ends some sentences with a change in his voice and a weird face (who knows why). Well, two of my best friends started to do it. On of them started to do it after he had called the other one out of it. I wanted to punch them both in the face.

Nina
01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
^ I was just about to say; I pick up the way people speak a lot easier than the actual accent they speak in. I once watched a documentary on TV which basically said that there are two types of people: Those who pick up people's slang and behaviour easily, and people who never pick anything up but always influence others. Dunno how much truth there is behind this.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Muhahaha, I'm Bulgarian :cool:

I don't have a `type`, you know... I've been so inlove with some sweet blond and short guys, but also tall, black-haired. So I really can't say.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Muhahaha, I'm Bulgarian :cool:

Mate, I've gotta say. Who fucking cares an what's to be proud of?

Anyways, one accent that really does piss me off is South American (Texas an those places). Whenever me "step-mom" says something to me, I just wanna bash my head into a wall.

T-6005
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Mate, I've gotta say. Who fucking cares an what's to be proud of?

Anyways, one accent that really does piss me off is South American (Texas an those places). Whenever me "step-mom" says something to me, I just wanna bash my head into a wall.
I get what you meant, but for future reference, Texas is not South America.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-30-2008, 10:57 AM
I get what you meant, but for future reference, Texas is not South America.

I mean like the south of Amer... Yea my Geography is fucking shit.

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2008, 11:07 AM
South America is an entire other continent.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
It's called South America because it's located south of the REAL America.

Andy
01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Texas is South(ern) America. It is a pain in the arse having two separate continents sharing the same name. Like, Columbia is North South America; what about Guyana being NorthEast South America?

Bit of a mouthful, this unimaginative geography naming game.

Jakebert
01-30-2008, 01:30 PM
You guys are making my head hurt.

Meg
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Texas is South(ern) America. It is a pain in the arse having two separate continents sharing the same name. Like, Columbia is North South America; what about Guyana being NorthEast South America?

Bit of a mouthful, this unimaginative geography naming game.

I've always been terrible at Geography, and I never got the hang of those sort of things.

T-6005
01-30-2008, 01:38 PM
The thing is that we're talking about the Southern United States, not Southern America. It's a little bit nitpicky, I know, but I can't help it.

Andy
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes, Mr T. I always call them the "Southern States" as a way of getting around any pedanticism.

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Sweet jesus fucking Christ.

Andy
01-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Exactly, Nemi. Exactly.

Wolfbutter
01-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Actually, its United States, not America.
WE live in North America.

WebDudette
01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Who is we? This is the internet.

I'm not too sure who you are correcting but you really have quite a petty argument. When someone says 'America' it is understood as the United States of America. Just like the term Americans refers to people in The United States, you don't hear 'the United States of Americaners'.

Andy
01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
United Statesans

T-6005
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
When someone says 'America' it is understood as the United States of America.
That's the thing, though - it's all contextual.

"America" can sometimes be understood to mean the US. However, South America never is.

"I'm going to south America?"

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
When someone says 'America' it is understood as the United States of America.

Yeah, but that should be chalked up more to collective idiocy and insensitivity than anything else.

Andy
01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Insensitivity? Like, it offendes United Stateseans when we say they're from America?

In that case, I'm going to keep on calling it America.

WebDudette
01-30-2008, 04:56 PM
With an example such as Ashely's (?) it should have been specified that he wasn't talking about South America. But I feel its acceptable to say 'Oh, I live in America.' Rather than 'I live in the United States of America.' I can't imagine that people from the Democratic Republic of the Congo don't generally say Congo instead.

I certainly understood Thi's point and support it, but Wolfbutter's comment was just kind of useless and bothered me for some reason.

Wolfbutter
01-30-2008, 06:04 PM
You don't have to say "I live in the United States of America". You can just say "I live in the United States" or "I live in the States" or "I live in the U.S."

WebDudette
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
But its not called the States, United States, or U.S. Its called 'The United States of America'. Why is one acceptable but not the other?

Also, I could very well be wrong, but I think there may be other countries with states.

Wolfbutter
01-30-2008, 06:12 PM
It's also not called America...

Andy
01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
For as long as I call you Americans (and for as long as it annoys you all) I'll make a conscious effort to call it America.

WebDudette
01-30-2008, 06:18 PM
It's also not called America...

Why is one acceptable but not the other?

It doesn't annoy me in the slightest.

leo3375
01-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I am a total sucker for Italian and Spanish accents. My slight Minnesota accent is pretty boring. I know I have it but most people can't really hear it right away. It's definitely audible in how I pronounce my "O" sounds.

Llamas
01-30-2008, 08:57 PM
But its not called the States, United States, or U.S. Its called 'The United States of America'. Why is one acceptable but not the other?

Also, I could very well be wrong, but I think there may be other countries with states.

Because United States of America means that we are from the United States that are collectively part of a greater whole that is America. If we say we are from America, that to me seems the same as if someone from Sweden said they were from Europe. I've always thought it was dumb that anyone considers the United States to be "America". I've heard people in Europe refer to Canadians also as Americans. It threw me off at first, but it makes just as much sense. Canada is part of America just as much as the US is.

North/South America is confusing... but we also have North/South Korea, and New Guinea, French Guiana, Papa New Guinea... etc. How annoying, I can never keep them straight.

And I'll say "Southern US" to mean states like Alabama and Georgia. I'd never call that South America, haha. Countries like Venezuela are northern South America. Canada is northern North America, haha. It's easier to just call countries by their names, and states by their names, I guess.

edit: other countries do have "states", but they don't call them states, and they're treated much differently. In Austria, there are 9 "Bundeslander", which makes me laugh because Austria is the size of N. Carolina, and it has STATES. More like counties. haha. But yeah, it's not just the US that has states.

Wolfbutter
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Would you refer to South America as Americans too? It just sounds so weird; every time the term "American" is used, it is the U.S. When you say American, are you (and other countries) referring to the two continents as a whole or just U.S.?

Andy
01-31-2008, 05:37 AM
It's kind of like if anyone from an EU state were to get their knickers in a twist about being called European. The majority don't give a toss, but some actually find it annoying. It all depends on how eager you are for a fight I guess.

Little_Miss_1565
01-31-2008, 07:12 AM
In Spanish, someone from the US is "estadounidense," meanwhile anyone from North or South America is "americano."

Regardless of pedantic hairsplitting, it is entirely retarded to get knickers in binds now about who calls themselves Americans and whether or not the US can call itself America. America is in the name of the country. Is anyone going to go to the PRC and tell it that it has to stop calling its people Chinese and go by Republicans instead? I mean really.

Sunny
01-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Regardless of pedantic hairsplitting, it is entirely retarded to get knickers in binds now about who calls themselves Americans and whether or not the US can call itself America.

seriously.
besides, USians say "god bless america" and gleefully sing "america the beautiful", and i'm pretty damn sure they don't mean "god bless canada, mexico and everyone else", so... chutup and deal with it.

anyways, back on topic, i realized something: by far the most annoying tristate area accent a woman can have is Long Island JAP. rururu it drives me NUTS.

Rag Doll
01-31-2008, 07:37 AM
uhhhh i totally fucking agree about long island JAP. my whole town is like that, basically...despite being located in north jerzzzz. =\

Sunny
01-31-2008, 07:49 AM
ya, it's all over westchester as well. that shit spreads like wildfire.

*shudders*

my ex-boss was longislandese and i noticed myself pronouncing certain words (like "dog") in a long island jappy way. then i cuted my vains and bathed in bleach. =/

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-01-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm gonna step out and say I find American accentz very hawt. And then I'm gonna totally follow the crowd and say I enjoy a bit of Eastern European too - Czech and Slovakian especially.

From teh BBS, Ricky and Tizz have the hawtezt accents. Troof.

Sunny
02-01-2008, 07:30 AM
hm. speaking of bbs accents... sanni's is adorable, iza's is grrr hot. sam and sarah have pretty banging accents as well. :]

iPunk247
02-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm gonna take this opportunity to ask, ipunk, what's with the manga thing? do you get a gnardon for a half naked cartoon chick? do you jerk off watching cartoon sex? are there manga sex scenes?

I guess I kind of get it, cause jessica rabbit is so hot. but it still really skeeves me out for some reason.

CaliChix, you obviously cut me of guard with ya flattery questions and stuff. To be completely brutally honest with ya, yeah the whole manga thing is just a kinky-sexy-fetish-porno (not addicted nor obssessed) with it; but the likes of my enjoyment and viewing pleasure. Nope! I don't get all gnardon over a hot half naked cartoon chick. What a fucking teaser and shit! I dope myself jerking off while playing over a certain/specific/particular sex scenes. Google Manga if ya want more info. Jessica Rabbit is a total fucking hottie indeed!:D

calichix
02-02-2008, 12:29 AM
I will not google manga. christ.

bella's accent is cute. and suzie (if anyone remembers her) sound like a suburban white kid/ santa cruz surf babe. she said, "no, dude, totally!" like 4,000 times it was totes cute I was all *speaks in abreves*.

Vera
02-02-2008, 05:34 AM
A lot of manga is pervy, but not all, and the porny fucked up stuff is called hentai.

I mean basically manga is just comics, but being Japanese, it can't help but feature perverted shit on occasion.

BBS accents, hmm. Magdalena's is ace but I miss the Slavic edge she had once. Same with Iza. Give me teh Slavness, ho's.

Vlad's.. I only remember how he sounds like he always thinks he's right.

After listening to an Oregonian podcast a lot, I'm reminded of Per's accent.

Mota Boy had a Southern one way back when.

Endy's I can't recall any more but his voice was like liquid sex poured down my ear.

That sounded a lot less gross in my head.

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2008, 07:20 AM
One time I talked to Magdalena for a few seconds on the phone. She told me my voice was great and I blushed. I blushed OVER THE PHONE. lol i r pathetic?

Vera
02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
So it was your demure nature that made you not pick up when me and Magdalena tried to ring you in September? :mad:

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Either that or a fuckload of essays to write. Or both :(

wheelchairman
02-02-2008, 08:05 AM
After listening to an Oregonian podcast a lot,

Which one?

Vera
02-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Cort & Fatboy, KUFO in Portland. It's been a while since I heard you talk, though, so the comparison might not be so apt.

Vera
02-04-2008, 04:50 AM
If you ever wanted to hear me fake a British accent, hear ya go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5nk9gsxkzon

It's .wma because Windows Vista suxxxx.

Also check out filename because I'm liek saw hylarius.

Bazza
02-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Haha, that actually made me laugh. I think you have "picked up" a Brummie (Birmingham) accent, especially how you draw out the vowels in some words. With no offence to Brummies here (if there are any), I find this kind of accent makes the person seem a bit simple lolz. But yeah that's awesome, and I couldn't even imagine where to begin with a Finnish accent...

Vera
02-04-2008, 05:34 AM
An LJ friend said Birmingham, too.

It sounds quite ugly when I listened to some of the recording myself. Which is sad because to my own ears (un-recorded) it sounded quite alright.

I'm obviously not going to fake it regularly. Now I just want to ask my friend who studies in Birmingham whether her accent is like that, too.

Sunny
02-04-2008, 09:00 AM
BBS accents, hmm. Magdalena's is ace but I miss the Slavic edge she had once. Same with Iza. Give me teh Slavness, ho's.

weeeee. i'll roll my "r"s just for u! although you know you <3 my uptalk.

i think iza's accent still has slavicness left in it. it's bond girl hawt. :D

killer_queen
02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Sanni, I love your britfag accent, it's so adorable!

And I'm really glad that you guys have never heard my horrible middle eastern accent. It's really really horrible.

Nicole
02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Nice topic.

My absolute favourite is the Irish accent, all time winner hands down. I met this Irish dude at the pub but his spelling via text message was a huge turn off because he spelt like he was one of those dodgy homies living in the UK, hugely not cool but all the same I heard he's gonna be in town so I feel like reinitiating that contact just so I can make him talk.

I have totally changed my mind on the Southern US accent, I used to think it was really really bad but I have been proven wrong, it can be done so well.

British accents are totally hit and miss. Some of them are nice, most of them are messed up.

I'm totally biased to speak on the Australian accent, I love the "normal" accent, I hate the "broad" one it sounds like shit and go figure, nobody can tell the difference. I just love a nice well spoken Australian male accent.

ready_set_fail
02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I generally don't mind other people's accents. But mine bothers me. A lot. Because it screams French Canadian.

French and Canadian...two of the worst combonations since Laverne and Shirley.

JoY
02-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Irish = brilliant.<3
a Russian accent in English = hot sex. can't help it.
posh British isn't sexy, but it's incredibly funny. kind of dorky-funny, so cute!

a friend of mine & I sometimes speak English to each other with a nutty French accent. oh man, gets me giggling every time, but I so wouldn't go for it.