PDA

View Full Version : Are you/were you a geek/nerd at school?

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
So... whatdoy'asay?

nieh
01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I still am a geek/nerd.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Good job. I'd also be one, but I REALLY h8 maths... :D

Tijs
01-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Not at school, but outside school I am.

Is 101% presence considered to be nerdy?

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Yup :D
Btw can I post here a youtube spam link with a non-Offspring song called White & Nerdy? :D

Little_Miss_1565
01-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Is 101% presence considered to be nerdy?

...how is this possible? Do you show up on days you have off? :confused:

ready_set_fail
01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I wasnt really nerdy.
I had my friends.
I had alot of friends out of every click or group.
but I was also a loner.

I am extremely affable. So people usually find it hard to not like me. but there is always somebody who doesnt like me. I can think of one person from high school who didnt like me.

Tijs
01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
...how is this possible? Do you show up on days you have off? :confused:Well, you've got the normal classes, that's like 30 hours a week. But you can work on your own and register those hours.

And I'm never late or sick or anything.

Superdope
01-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Yup I'm a nerd. I can't seem to shut up when the topics are movies, videogames or music... hooray for vast trivial knowledge!

I have friends, however, so I'm not completely geeked out, I guess.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 02:18 PM
And I'm never sick or anything.

Me neither, but sometimes I'm a bit late (but never so late, to be marked, just saying it for the sake of truth). And some rare times in the end of the semester I get away from some classes, that I already have notes and I go with friends to drink beer. (Official version is that I have to look after my sister :D) Actually I have, in worst case, 2-6 excused and 1 unexcused from being late. For whole year I mean. But I have 4 (note) in maths... :FUCK, GODDAMN SESSION: So I'm not much of a nerd, despite that I have good notes in all other subjects.

I can't call anyone 'FRIEND' (I mean from school - i know that they'd sell me for food, as NIRVANA said In Bloom. ) And I am kinda loner too, despite that I sing at school and I'm 'PUNK' and so on. But it's not the same with just a company - a sum of people that you roam with, but you can't relate on... and make REAL and COOL bullshits! :D

WebDudette
01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I'd like to think I'm a pretty smart kid, but I am by no means a near. So far this year of school I have missed 5-6 out of 14 days. Last year I missed some 13-14 when your only allowed 10. I get horrible grades due to my inability to go to school and my lack of any determination.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Honesty - how much time do you all study? I mean at home. I do it max. three hours per day. That's why I suck so much at maths... But the only thing I really care is Bio! And quantum-physics are interesting, but i prefer bio. Maybe I push harder and the Spanish, just cause my mum wants so (oh, yeah, I'm the devil, but ... I love mommy :D Btw there are good reasons behind this also :p) And that's all. I mean and the other stuff - I can't say I don't touch them, aspecially literarure, I just adore it, and I'm pretty damn good. And still I can't say that I spend enough time with the manuals... still, I just can't learn more - I spend other three or more hours learning the guitar :p :D

Endymion
01-26-2008, 02:41 PM
fuck nerds, i'm a total jock.

Not Ozymandias
01-26-2008, 02:45 PM
No way! I used to stick nerds in lockers and make them do my homework! When I'd see them I'd yell "NEEEEEERD!!!!!" and give them wedgies.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Heh, I'd say I'm a really smart, street-fight bitch :D So u can try on :p

Harnum
01-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I am not nerdy as such, (like no friends, big glasses, pocket protector and other stereotypical things) but I get decent grades and I have a good few friends.

Sunny
01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
fuck nerds, i'm a total jock.

ooOoOoOoo can i touch ur musclez?

Apathy
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm going to have to go with a no.

mrconeman
01-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I've always been geeky/nerdy in that I'd play video games, use the intarnets, make movie reference jokes and what have you.
But no I've always had a nice circle of friends and gotten along with most people.

I hope JohnnyNemesis considers himself a nerd, because he'll have to vote white and nerdy.

Endymion
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope JohnnyNemesis considers himself a nerd, because he'll have to vote white and nerdy.

ricky is white in every way, except the one that really counts.

Mota Boy
01-26-2008, 09:46 PM
I guess I was technically a nerd in middle school, but unlike the others with whom I hung out I was generally well-liked. I used to think of myself as a nerd for a while, until I looked at the various stereotypes and realized I could be placed into many or none of them, depending on your perspective.

Long story short - stereotypes are completely arbitrary and a rather ridiculous way to think of human beings.

Rag Doll
01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
my boyfriend and i regularly say "caturday" and this morning we had a long discussion on the impact zombies could have on global warming and the dwindling supply of freshwater.

o_O

i think i am in some ways. i don't know. i don't get a lot of the stereotype things.

WebDudette
01-27-2008, 01:09 PM
I have the weirdest group of close friends. We make plans on what to do in case of a zombie invasion. We quote Futurama daily, we do the Fresh Prince handshake. We seek disturbing videos on the internet and we all talk about 4chan.

But then on the other side of things, we all have a huge spectrum of different friends. I'm friends with the biggest group of stoners ever, but I also hang out with straight 'A' wholesome kids.

This is a lot harder to explain then I thought. Basically, we are creepy, nerdy, loners who aren't actually creepy, nerdy, loners at all.

The moral of the story? Stereotypes are lame and useless.

Sunny
01-27-2008, 01:29 PM
...hasn't everyone planned for a zombie invasion at some point?

anyway, i agree with pilz-e. the whole stereotype thing is ridiculous. like, i'm a huge design/internets nerd with tattoos who enjoys extreme sports and wears cable knit sweaters with polos and pearl earrings. bitch plz.

HeadAroundU
01-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Honestly, I can't tell if I'm or not. Something between. Is that a satisfying answer!? :d

Anyway, how cute that you love your mommy. :)

Harnum
01-27-2008, 05:03 PM
As soon as I saw 'White and Nerdy', I thought the EXACT same thing! lawlz.

sKratch
01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
ricky is white in every way, except the one that really counts.

He gets asked to step out of the car when he gets pulled over?

JohnnyNemesis
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I love all the posts about me in this thread so far.

calichix
01-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I think technically I'm as lame as you can possibly get (I listen to buttrock, I'm posting on an offspring message board, I wear a "jazzercise" sports shirt casually, I say things like, 'take control of the situation. ETA on that one. over.' for no reason all the time, I hair flip to show distaste for people, etc.) but I'm really good at making lame look cool.

in high school I'd wear really embarrassing things as a social experiment to see who'd copy me and people always did. aha. I always copy the chick from saved by the bell. she's got mad style.

Meg
01-28-2008, 05:15 AM
I'm not really your typical geek at all. If I'd worked a bit harder at school I could have managed it no problem. If i'd have turned up then I could have managed it.

My main problem is that i'm far too lazy to be a geek/nerd. I know all sorts of stupid information that's never going to benefit me in any way, which is why i'm usually good as those stupid "General knowledge" quizzes. The type of thing that needs seven hours or trawling around the internet to find the answers to.

At GCSE, I got a pretty good set of grades, but I already know that if i'd actually tried properly i'd have got all A's and B's... But I didn't.

And I also dropped out of Sixth form, and skipped plenty of classes before I bothered to do that. And this isn't even an "OMG i'm trupunx" post. I'm too lazy to even do that.

Anya82
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
fuck. I can't vote in this racist poll.
'cause I've always been a nerd, but... I've never been WHITE. Can you believe it?! Oh my gosh!!!11!1

Tomboy Powerhead
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I guess I was technically a nerd in middle school, but unlike the others with whom I hung out I was generally well-liked. I used to think of myself as a nerd for a while, until I looked at the various stereotypes and realized I could be placed into many or none of them, depending on your perspective.

Long story short - stereotypes are completely arbitrary and a rather ridiculous way to think of human beings.

One of the smartest answers of a spam-thread like this, I've ever seen in a forum! ANY forum :]

Anyway, how cute that you love your mommy. :)

Don't fuck with this, plz :D I really have sum (41?) good reasons, that are both kinda sad. I'm not whining. Just don't fuck with da hui, ok :D

'cause I've always been a nerd, but... I've never been WHITE. Can you believe it?! Oh my gosh!!!11!1

I think I should've posted the link to 'White And Nerdy'. It's a cover to i-don't0remember-what, that rocks! See youtube.com Werid Al Yancovic - White And Nerdy and you'll see it's not racist, but... self-ironic :D I'm whiter than Al, btw. Still I really like the no-white-but-nerdy ppl. (proof - the braids (YEAH, I MADE THEM TODAY! BY MYSELF :P) idea was not just the Dex Holland. I was shopping in the local and then I saw that TOTALLY hot'n'sexy mulatto gal, she had braids and was like :OMFG, I'm inlove: I smiled at her and she smiled too... I'm telling ya, if I were a boy, I'd ask her to marry me!)

Jakebert
01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I was in the middle of the social ladder in high school. I was friends with the "cool" kids and the nerds. Not sure where I'd put myself though.

Then again, I went to a small school, and most of the guys got along with a few exceptions.

0r4ng3
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I was basically in the same situation as Jakebert, but I was probably slightly lower on the social ladder. Or maybe it was all in my head that I was a loser.

Ninty Man
01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm not white, but fuck, I'm nerdy

Harnum
01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I love all the posts about me in this thread so far.
You like all the posts about you regardless. Attention whorez! :(

Tomboy Powerhead
01-29-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm a NERD :D:D I'll have 6 to anything but maths (where I'll have 3 or 4, with more luck) and the idiotic sports, cause we only play volley-ball, and I love the basket (did I mention that I'm a metter and 54? :D) and those not-even-a-real-subject-goddamit called informaths and the technologies (same bullshits!) I can reinstall windows from bios and be a hacker, but that bitch simply fuckin hates me! Cuz she's fat an' I'm not! I don't mind fat ppl, btw. I only mind her :D

Anya82
01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
I think I should've posted the link to 'White And Nerdy'. It's a cover to i-don't0remember-what, that rocks! See youtube.com Werid Al Yancovic - White And Nerdy and you'll see it's not racist, but... self-ironic :D I'm whiter than Al, btw. Still I really like the no-white-but-nerdy ppl. (proof - the braids (YEAH, I MADE THEM TODAY! BY MYSELF :P) idea was not just the Dex Holland. I was shopping in the local and then I saw that TOTALLY hot'n'sexy mulatto gal, she had braids and was like :OMFG, I'm inlove: I smiled at her and she smiled too... I'm telling ya, if I were a boy, I'd ask her to marry me!)

geez! this guy takes sarcasm very serious!

JoY
01-29-2008, 11:48 PM
I just voted for "no way", but I guess posting here kind of does make me nerdy.

in high school I skipped quite a few classes, wasn't the type to have my homework done, hardly payed attention in class, though sometimes I totally did, didn't do anything for school at home... I still wonder how I managed to get my diploma. it doesn't seem fair when I look at other people & how they struggle to get through high school.

I had some very "nerdy" friends, though. not die-hard nerds, but incredibly smart people. at least, that's how I look at them. well, one, actually... no, I guess my group of friends was pretty cool, too.

Betty
01-30-2008, 12:15 AM
A prof sent an e-mail with this content:

if (today == 'monday'):
print('Reminder:\n')
print('CHEM 590 Module: Practical Computer Programming')
print('ELL 305 @ 4pm')

to the entire department to remind us of a course he was holding. He is my new hero.

I am sitting in on said computer programming course for fun (and hopefully usefulness) and not for credit. In fact, I think programming is so fun that I might've even pursued it did I not hate actually dealing with computers so much.

I post on Internet message boards, I've been addicted to MSN/ICQ, I've played certain video/computer games such as Final Fantasy or Starcraft way too much, sometimes I like school and I work quite hard at it and get ridiculously high grades. I am a Ph.D. student in Chemistry.

On the flipside, I love rock 'n' roll music and going to shows, I am very athletic, I can drink/party with the best of them, I love random adventures, I'm reasonably attractive, I possess pretty decent social skills, and I could go on.

Basically, I'm a huge nerd, but a damn cool one.

(And I also hang around with people from all social groups. But I must admit I definitely have a tendency to befriend the weird/nerdy/socially awkward people that others shy around from, just because I think they're so interesting).

WebDudette
01-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Seems to me that the Offspring Forum is made up of people who have the best from both worlds. Well, in some cases at least.

JoY
01-30-2008, 12:34 AM
(And I also hang around with people from all social groups. But I must admit I definitely have a tendency to befriend the weird/nerdy/socially awkward people that others shy around from, just because I think they're so interesting).

all of my friends are kind of weird in a way (alright, they are definitely weird), but I never saw any of my friends as socially awkward. I guess because they are not socially awkward with me, or I wouldnīt be friends with them. but I also have this thing for people that seem a bit 'singled out' & donīt have massive flocks of friends hanging around them. they are the more interesting kind of people, as you said. but I only try to pick those that are special by choice, these days. or else they just appear to be majorly attention deprived & stick to your ass all day.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-30-2008, 02:02 AM
geez! this guy takes sarcasm very serious!

Just one correction - girl :D

I post on Internet message boards, I've been addicted to MSN/ICQ, I've played certain video/computer games such as Final Fantasy or Starcraft way too much, sometimes I like school and I work quite hard at it and get ridiculously high grades. I am a Ph.D. student in Chemistry.

On the flipside, I love rock 'n' roll music and going to shows, I am very athletic, I can drink/party with the best of them, I love random adventures, I'm reasonably attractive, I possess pretty decent social skills, and I could go on.

Basically, I'm a huge nerd, but a damn cool one.

Hah, sth alike. Aspecially about drinkin - I can drink more that a friend that's 18, boy, metter and 94, 80-few kg. I'm 43 kg, 1.54 metters, girl. He sux, doesn't he? :D

JoY
01-30-2008, 02:06 AM
yeahyeah, alcohol makes you very cool.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Actually, it makes me really good at maths... In normal condition I suck at maths. My only two 6 for the whole hight school in maths were when I was kinda drunk :don'tsayanyone!: :D

JoY
01-30-2008, 02:25 AM
maybe your realisation that you aren't too good at math, was what made you suck at math, & alcohol just made you relaxed, just not care, or temporarily overestimate yourself, so for a little while you forgot that usually you aren't that great at math.

in med school, we all had to give blood & urine a few years ago, so we could do tests & research on each other. it came out positive for enzymes that indicate impaired liver function for every single person in a fraternity/sorority. coincedence? I think not. of course I didn't give my blood & urine, so ignorance really is a bliss.

my point is, although I'm not exactly the one to talk, hardcore drinking at any age is damaging, but especially at a very young age, when you are still developing. just be careful with it. it could be considered very cool that you can hold so much booze, especially among kids your age, but it's not cool to damage yourself. permanently.

batfish
01-30-2008, 05:01 AM
I went to a pretty academic school, so it wasn't uncool to work hard - but being a "teacher's pet" was still frowned upon. I got on with everyone, without being majorly popular or a trend-setter.

Later on, aged 16-18 it became kind of cool to be geeky - the former geeks suddenly became self-deprecating and funny, and the geeks who couldn't manage this simply become goths. Is this a common phenomenon?

I still get on with most people, but tend to gravitate towards slightly weird off-beat people.

Betty
01-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Alcohol is soooo not cool. I have been really trying to cut back (and somewhat succeeding). I feel so unhealthy after drinking.

And I agree. The loners definitely tend to become clingy, so I watch out for that nowadays as well. My problem used to be that I always made friends with people who didn't have any friends (cause they were a little weird, but still really interesting), so then even though I was pretty okay, it was way harder to expand my social network. Since I've started grad school I've made much more of an effort to befriend the "popular" people for this reason. Not that it's quite the same because the popular people here aren't like the "popular" people in high school or undergrad. Still though, there are a few parallels.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Basicly, I can survive without alcohol, don't get the wrong impression about that. I'm agreed that the 'maths magic' is probably 'cause I get relaxed Also I know that alcohol's not healthy and stuff, but, guys... `I hope I die before I get old` ;] Still, I think that the ninja training is the reason I can stand this toxic :D Besides:

A cigarette reduces your life by 2 minutes.
A bottle of spirit reduces your life by 4 minutes.
A day at school/work reduces your life with more than 6 hours!!!

Endymion
01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
ps: if i described how much of a geek i really am, at least three people's heads would explode.

ninthlayer
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I'd masturbate furiously, tbh.

Alcohol is soooo not cool. I have been really trying to cut back (and somewhat succeeding).
Due to this statement I'm going to drink before class instead of doing a writing project, thanks love.

Andy
01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
ps: if i described how much of a geek i really am, at least three people's heads would explode.

Do you need to?

I always managed to stay under the radar at school. I was too stupid to be a geek but too lame to be seen as particularly cool. I was in a social black hole for around seven years of my life.

Meg
01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm relatively lucky in the sense that I can find at least a couple of things I have in common with everyone. And I listen to all kinds of music.

So I can generally make and stay friends with pretty much everyone.

At school, for the first couple of years of senior school I was your average goth/punk/greebo idiot, and most of the "popular" crowd hated me. But towards the last couple of years at school I was friends with everyone. Particularly in the couple of months I was in sixth form, and we'd managed to weed out all of the twats.

So socially, I had my uh... Fingers in many pies ;)

Tomboy Powerhead
01-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Hah, not bad. 2day was the day that proved I'm not a geek - maths - 3. I HATE that bitch, tbh, but she started first. I'm also kinda smartass-but-cretenic-punk-that-doesn't-really-like-anyone... well, not really, but my friends can be such suck-ass idiots sumtimZ. Btw last day at school was today (we have only 1 day holiday, exept the weekend, which's default! Those sick bastards! ), so I feel free and mostly happy. I'll be in this state 'till my mum come home and see my maths notes... :D

btw this ( :D ) guy is the Mota-boy from the song.

Nina
01-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I say things like, 'take control of the situation. ETA on that one. over.' for no reason all the time

You're very attractive.

Endymion
01-31-2008, 05:13 PM
example:

today i was very excited to go to a talk in the math department on applications of markov chains to subset sampling in combinatoric spaces. i believe some of the information gained there will be relevant to the research i will do for my physics phd, which may involve generating random graphs in relation to analyzing the dynamics of physical systems by the formal languages and machine reconstructions that measurements on them generate.

=/

Andy
01-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Every time I read an Endy post I feel a little more stupid.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-31-2008, 11:09 PM
(rofl)
I feel like this only when in maths class... :( + :confused: <-WHY ALWAYS ME?! Btw all the people from the class feel dumb in the maths. So.. `...Think I'm just happy...' :D Just the teacher sux. Even once a friend (Sava) was having birthday and he asked her if he can treat in the class and she said:
- Oh my god! - which sounded like a complain why was he even born. He was bitching the whole day and sweared her a lot, each time he recalled it :D It was fun. Btw she let him treat.

ready_set_fail
02-01-2008, 09:28 AM

sucks to be you nerd.

iPunk247
02-02-2008, 03:11 AM
A antisocial
A punk ass bitch
A loser
A skanky
A dyke
A dweeb

accidently voted for white & nerdy but my valid vote goes for no way! sorry my bad. *sighs*

I was a fucking unpopular/uncool kid back in my school year days of DOOMS. Today still am that shit kid! Whatevers couldn't care less. *trupunx* muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

DeAtHsTaR
02-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I used to be what you would call a dork.

Nicole
02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
What makes it difficult to judge is the change of technology in the last 10 years or so. I mean when I was younger I was the only one of my friends with the internet and I used to spend a lot of time on it (for the record, still do). And that made me a nerd. Now everybody has it and that makes it redundant as a measure of nerdy behaviour.

I think stereotypes do and don't have their uses and it depends on the geographical location. Some places it's totally inappropriate to use, and some cities just live for that stuff. For example, I was speaking to a friend of mine saying to her "dude, you have to come to this party" and she said "sorry, I'm a raver now I don't hang in that scene". Stereotypes only really become totally and utterly pointless when the people themselves aren't using the name and conforming to an image. For example none of that stuff goes on in Perth but come to Adelaide and the total subdivision by genre thing is so very real and surprisingly, it totally works in the sense that you can get on well with everybody within a "crowd" and still cross genres.

Tomboy Powerhead
02-04-2008, 05:14 AM
It's really visited spam thread, really :D Good job, dudeZ :p Anyway, I roamed today with my homies and they were looking their notebooks and then looked up in mine and said just: 'FUCKIN GEEK!' Really, they don't mean it, everything they say. If I wasn't having penalty, I'd have a scholarship... All I can say is... I'm a walking contradiction :D