PDA

View Full Version : The RPM Challenge

coke_a_holic
01-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Guys, February is upon us, and I know what all of us think about when we think of February: writing and recording an album.

The RPM Challenge is essentially to write and record a full 10 song or 35 minute cd in 29 days, so have at it. I think everyone who plays an instrument or has a band or can record anything should definitely look into it.

It's all for fun, so you shouldn't feel any pressure, but it's all for fun, so you should still consider it.

www.rpmchallenge.com

I think I'll be writing all new stuff for my one-man-band for it, which should be exciting, considering my usual productivity.

Homer
01-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, I got the writing part finished, but the recording? What can we record with.

Looks like Against Belief won't be participating... unless...

coke_a_holic
01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Do you have any means to record? Surely you have a better set-up than I do, I bet you could get it accomplished. Again, it's just for fun, to push yourself to get some of the creative juices going. Come on, I'm sure you can figure something out.

Homer
01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, if I was going to record, it would just be me. Meaning, no Against Belief, and a bunch of drum machines and acoustic stuff...

Fuck it. I'm in.

Homer
01-27-2008, 11:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Homer/TheCarsonMautheExperience.jpg

Oh, it's on.

T-6005
01-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm big on projects like this, but I don't think I'll be joining in. I might do a few songs but not a full album - February isn't a good month for it.

Vera
01-28-2008, 10:36 AM
I think the Offspring should participate in this. ;)

opivy21
01-28-2008, 04:37 PM
This is awesome. I've never heard of this before, but I really like the idea. I doubt I'll actually record anything, but I would love to see if I could write that much material in a month. Definitely one of my least aspects of my songwriting is how infrequently I write new stuff..

WebDudette
01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm going to try to do this with a friend. Anyone know a decent free drum machine? It doesn't even have to be free, just something I can download.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm in. I'm cheating though, because I'm already using Da Pantz's beats, but hey, writing lyrics that match up perfectly with the song ain't easy.

JohnnyNemesis
01-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Does this mean I'm technically in it? Can I cheat and just throw my already completed two year old album in the mix? :P

coke_a_holic
01-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm going to try to do this with a friend. Anyone know a decent free drum machine? It doesn't even have to be free, just something I can download.

I used to know a few, but I'm looking for one now. Fruity Loops is supposed to be really good (it costs money, so it's probably not as bad as the shit I've been trying to control), but I don't have Windows (or Leopard), so I can't find a rip of it for the mac that works.

Bazza
01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow this seems like a really cool idea. I might give it a go... I've never really bothered to sit down and play my guitar so maybe this will give me the impetus to start playing again! I've got a few ideas floating around, but at the moment all the songs would be with a guitar as the only instument, probably a bit boring?

Homer
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I used to know a few, but I'm looking for one now. Fruity Loops is supposed to be really good (it costs money, so it's probably not as bad as the shit I've been trying to control), but I don't have Windows (or Leopard), so I can't find a rip of it for the mac that works.

Fruity Loops is what I use, since you can map out the beats you want.

However, another good program is Acoustica Beat Craft. It seems decent, and sounds more like real drums, but I haven't really used it too much. Also, I'm not sure how it is with Macs.

Bazza
01-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Ten songs or 35 minutes of recorded material, on a CD, postmarked or hand-delivered by noon on March 1 to:

RPM HQ
10 Vaughan Mall, Suite 1
Portsmouth, NH 03801
USA

I think that already rules me out of officially entering any songs I make. Not only would it mean posting a CD several days early to make sure it gets there, but also means a nice air mail bill to get it there :( Why don't they have some sort of form for uploading mp3s?

T-6005
01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
You could always try http://fawm.org instead.

Maybe I'll just write a 35 minute song.

coke_a_holic
01-31-2008, 02:17 PM
I mean, sending the thing in is optional; I probably won't do it. I suggest writing it and recording it and just posting the mp3's here. We could have an album swap at the end of the month or something. I think that would be awesome.

Bazza
01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
fawm is out of the question since I'll struggle to write 10 songs, let alone 14!

Posting albums here would be cool, although I'd warn you my effort will be extremely poor :p

Homer
01-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Okay, I cheated a bit.

I wrote a song yesterday for the album, but I shall record it tomorrow, and I'll upload for y'all to listin' to.

It's called See Through. No, it's not about love or clothing.

coke_a_holic
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Okay, I cheated a bit.

I wrote a song yesterday for the album, but I shall record it tomorrow, and I'll upload for y'all to listin' to.

It's called See Through. No, it's not about love or clothing.
1. Aw, I hoped it was about clothing.
2. The "rules" are only concerning recording, like, I'm gonna re-record most of the songs I've already written (and I'll cheat and keep one or two that I just finished and don't want to redo) tomorrow or something, then record the rest as I find time this month.

The hardest part will be recording the horns and stuff. I've given up on the idea of real drums, and fake drums are seeming as annoyingly difficult considering my obvious inability to... play drums. I'll just work with it a lot over the next few weeks until I figure it all out.

Homer
01-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Ah, in that case...

All of my songs are written. Now I must record them!

Bazza
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
So I've actually "written" my first song ever... It kinda sucks, needs an extra verse or two plus needs recording. i'm not sure as to whether I should record the guitar part then overlay the vocals, or just try and sing whilst playing? I'm not the most confident musician so i might go for the former. As for the song, it's very simple but has a subject matter close to my heart.

Homer
02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
So, I officially finished one of the songs I'll be putting on the album (not See Through, sorry), and it's one that Rick(y) will definitely love.

Mega Man 2 - Dr. Wily Stage 2 Acoustic (www.savefile.com/projects/1022204) (Now links to the project)

It was kind of a 'spur of the moment' thing, as I was with Against Belief's former guitarist (Greg), and we decided to record this with his mixer.

P.S.
We played it live once, with electric guitars. Awesome.

JohnnyNemesis
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
You better fix that link ASAP so that I can listen to that unbelievable awesomeness and get my splooge on.

Homer
02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Alright. It was working before, but whatevs!

JohnnyNemesis
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
I've heard about a million renditions of that tune, and that one is as good as any, if not better (I'm leaning towards better than the great majority of covers I've heard). Kudos!

Homer
02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks, dewd! But all your thanks should be directed to Greg, in which case I will direct him to this thread.

Also, I've only heard, like, 2 renditions of this song. One was done by a local band here, and it's pretty good.

JohnnyNemesis
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Cool, send Greg my praise.

I've heard all sorts of renditions of this tune in a bajillion different styles, and would you believe this is the first acoustic version, like, ever? How nuts is that? Awesome job.

Homer
02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
That is indeed nuts. Actually no, it's not nuts. It's NUTZ!

And yeah, praise sent and received. Greg is happy.

Homer
02-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Alright, I've got some more songs for ye's.

The first being an acoustic cover of Frog's Theme from the wonderful game that is Chrono Trigger. Yeah, I know, I've already done a cover, but I wanted to do an acoustic one.

The second has a long story behind, so I'll try and shorten it. I have this friend who is part of the "jock" crowd. This crowd is full of country-fucks and "cowboys". About two years ago, this friend of mine wanted to start a country band with Tye (bassist for my band). He wrote a song called Run. Tye brought to song to me, and we both played it, making fun of it. Anyways, I re-recorded that song with Greg a couple of days ago, while horribly forgetting the lyrics.

Project link (http://www.savefile.com/projects/1022204)
So, that's Frog's Theme Acoustic and Run

P.S.
What has everyone else been doing?

Homer
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
So uh... did anyone do this? Because I didn't.

EDIT:

I actually feel bad for not focusing on this, but whatever, I'll still record a bunch of crap, and put it up here for y'all to enjoy.

Apathy
03-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I didn't see this.

and I don't care what they say about creativity and innovativness or whatever shit - I don't have a tape recorder,video camera, computer program or anything at all that I can record with.

I actually recently bought a program to record my guitar and bass. But there's still no way for me to put in vocals. Not to mention for the life of me I cannot figure out how to use the damn thing.

coke_a_holic
03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
So uh... did anyone do this? Because I didn't.

EDIT:

I actually feel bad for not focusing on this, but whatever, I'll still record a bunch of crap, and put it up here for y'all to enjoy.

hahaha, this.

Word for fucking word.

Homer
04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Alright so, I've decided to finally get back to the soon to be critically acclaimed solo album (The Carson Mauthe Experience) after waiting until things died down. My band's been playing shows, recording some more demos (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30700), and I've been catching up on my school work. All this while maintaining my sexiness*.

I am happy to say that I will posting one of the first songs that made me want to do this in the first place very soon. I still have to re-record some vocals, and get it sounding perfect. However, I have recently recorded a short demo for a new song for my band, using a drum machine. It doesn't have any vocals. but the best part** is in the first 10 seconds of the song, anyways. I've decided to classify this in the 'solo' category, because I'm the only one who worked on it.

Download the muhfucker here (http://www.savefile.com/files/1499277). Sorry about making you download it, but it won't take long, because it's a short song. Also, I'll put some vocals on it sometime this week.

*I'm very self-conscious.
**It's a bitchin' guitar solo I made. I'm proud of it, since I've only been playing guitar for about a year. But, I'm still very self-conscious.

P.S.
Mike, start recording some stuff, too, god-damnit.

EDIT:

Changed the drums for the demo. I think they sound much better than the last ones, but I still can't find some good high-hats or ride bells.

randman21
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Niiice. The solo is as good as you think it is. I couldn't play it, that's for damn sure. I've listened all to it five times now. Lotta power. Lotta energy....but, umm, I've got some drums samples if you need them, heh.

I wish I would've gotten into this.

Homer
04-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

However, for the drum situation, I'll end up only doing one of three things: 1. leave them as they are, and not put this on the 'album', 2. change drum machines, or 3. record the drums myself with my friend's mixer. I'll probably end up doing number 1, as this is technically an Against Belief song, meaning I'd end up re-record it with the band. Thanks for the offer, though.

EDIT:

Changed the drums for the demo. I think they sound much better than the last ones, but I still can't find some good high-hats or ride bells.