PDA

View Full Version : your job

calichix
01-29-2008, 05:40 PM
these are made every now and again. I can't remember what yalls do anymore.

I just quit my job as a secretary for a bmw/audi repair shop and now I'm a hospital photographer. go for the gold:

Sinister
01-29-2008, 05:56 PM
I work at directory assistance (known in North America as '411'). Pays a crapton for such an easy job, but stupid customers do irritate me once in a while. I've even been called "son of a bitch" simply because I told a customer we don't keep a record of cellphone numbers - which is the truth. Oh, and it's always stressful when someone dials 411 instead of 911 and says they can't hang up and dial it and then I have to transfer the call, being even faster and more professional than on regular calls. And it takes long (I have to stay on the line until the 911 operator hangs up) and ruins my time average - and my efficiency bonus $ - and then there's some paperwork to do every time.

ready_set_fail
01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
dude. I swear to god I was seriously getting ready to make this thread, I have been debating on it for like 4 days now, but procrastination conquered blind devotion. lol
I work at Old Navy....woooo! lol.
yeah.

Llamas
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm moving back to MN tomorrow, and I already have a job. The St. Paul location of my current teaching job wants me to teach for them. :) I'm not sure what I'll pick up as a second job, though. No way I'll work at Perkins again.

Endymion
01-29-2008, 06:48 PM
i'm a TA & researcher. i teach third quarter physics for bioscience majors. i also do research in various areas related to complex systems, natural computation and evolutionary dynamics.

BREAK
01-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I type, click, and listen to my iPod for a living.

Jakebert
01-29-2008, 06:59 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/snakes_on_a_plane/samuel_l__jackson/snakesonaplane1.jpg

"My job is to save lives, and I'm very good at what I do".

the_offsprings_monkey
01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm a part-time Chef which is fucking hard when it gets busy, but equally as boring when it's quiet. And I'm also a student studying Engineering full-time at College which is just 90% fucking about, 5% work an 5% not going in.

JohnnyNemesis
01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Research assistant at the moment (campus job), but all of my real jobs in the past have revolved around teaching of some sort. I mostly work with small groups of teens (though I did spend time with folks in an adult literacy program...which is a completely different kind of teaching), and I've taught summer programs in English (Writing & Literature), Film, and Sociology.

After I graduate, I'm accepting a full time position as a writing tutor at a community college in Manhattan. Sweet.

Sunny
01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
i'm a graphic designer for a fairly large wine importer. yes, free booze flows freely.

DeAtHsTaR
01-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I push shopping carts at Fred Meyer, and I'm a volunteer DJ at KTEC, the radio station at OIT.

Sidewinder
01-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I teach kids how to swim during the summer. I work for my swim coach, so the hours are totally based upon my time, I get a dollar raise ever year ($9 an hour this coming summer), and it's pretty easy.

I don't work during the school year. No way I'd have enough time; I only have an hour at home at most as it is.

Tired_Of_You
01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I work in a coffee shop, so I serve (and sometimes make) different kinds of sandwiches. I obviously make coffees (lattes, espresso, etc.) Stuff like that.

Sidewinder
01-29-2008, 09:00 PM
I work in a coffee shop, so I serve (and sometimes make) different kinds of sandwiches. I obviously make coffees (lattes, espresso, etc.) Stuff like that.
Serving coffee is definitely a step up from serving meat and severed fingers.

Tired_Of_You
01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
DEFINITELY.

Nothing is as bad as the evil slicer.

Rag Doll
01-29-2008, 09:39 PM
i'm a graphic designer for a fairly large wine importer. yes, free booze flows freely.

i am honestly dying to know which, but if you don't wanna say, i understand ;p

i currently have no job...i'm starting one i don't want on monday. but i have an interview tomorrow to be assistant manager in the body shop in the mall. yay?

Camel Filters
01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I work at Endries and Subway.

Betty
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm a grad student so I do research and TA (currently a 3rd year inorganic chemistry lab).

I also work as a freelance copy editor for the European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry.

Also, what exactly does a hospital photographer do?

Llamas
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I work at Endries and Subway.

which subway?

Camel Filters
01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
which subway?

one of them in Appleton.

wheelchairman
01-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I work in a warehouse for Peugeot. It pays well but sometimes it involves carrying things and that sucks.

It's great for a student job. They throw parties twice a year and give out wine from France for Christmas. (oh and I got a free Peugeot calender. And safety shoes. wee fashion.)

JoY
01-30-2008, 12:28 AM
I tried to do a job on the side, but it's too much. I took medical info of tissue donors & regulated the donor process.

I was wondering the same as Michelle. Laura, doll, tell us more about your job!

XYlophonetreeZ
01-30-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm a research assistant. I'm currently sequencing the DNA of a species of Malagasy fruit bat to study gene flow between various parts of Madagascar and the Comoros islands.

IamSam
01-30-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm a Resident Assistant in the dorms of a small college.

Denial, Revisited
01-30-2008, 01:40 AM
At the moment I'm working at IKEA ^_^
I graduated last december with a bachelor of social sciences, majoring in philosophy. I'm starting an honours degree in July- so until then I'll just coast along then look for more serious work :D

grunge
01-30-2008, 01:56 AM
I don't care about it. My job ended yesterday ))

Tomboy Powerhead
01-30-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm a homestuck 'teacher' - I check my mother's students' tests (she's the real teacher) and she gives me money :D Nice, ain't it? :white&nerdy:

batfish
01-30-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm in the student army cadets, which I get paid for - weekends away and training evenings.
My summer job is fetching and carrying, photocopying etc. at an adult learning centre (ie. where old ladies do arts and crafts). It's pretty good.

T-6005
01-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm lazy and don't work except during the summer. My last job was the night shift at an incoming call center, basically meaning that I got to watch movies for 10 hours, 4 nights a week.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm lazy and don't work ...

Na-na, why don't you get a job? :D

Btw, a joke about Offy that I made:
- How was created the univerce?
- There was this endless void and then... Dexter Holland kicked it's ass it and said 'Why Don't You Get A Job' ?

T-6005
01-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Na-na, why don't you get a job?

Btw, a joke about Offy that I made:
- How was created the univerce?
- There was this endless void and then... Dexter Holland kicked it's ass it and said 'Why Don't You Get A Job' ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH:D :D :eek: :D

Andy
01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
My job? I'm a nursing auxiliary in at a clinical research facility in Birmingham, which is owned by the sickeningly huge research charity Wellcome. It's attached to a hospital, so my pay comes through the NHS. Even though the NHS is in the shit, and nurses generally get atrocious pay, I'm pretty well off.

There's recently been a new pay initiative through the NHS named the Agenda for Change, which compares people from the same job title, the work they do in their unit/ward, and pays accordingly. As my unit at work is very specific, I am expected to do more technical jobs than most ward-based auxiliaries (such as taking blood, performing ECG's etc etc) and so I've ended up getting a pay grade higher than other auxiliaries in the hopsital (I'm getting just under £15k compared to just over £14k I believe*).

Saying that, I've got glandular fever, so I'm doing nothing over the next couple of weeks as i am poorlysick. Doing nothing except for playing Call of Duty and eating chocolate ice cream and taking a whole lot of ibuprofen.

*Not a great deal of money, but if you take into consideration I'm still living with the rents my only real outgoings are £250p/m living and £60p/m for my monthly train pass. I'm enjoying my money too much to even think about moving out at the moment!

The Talking Pie
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
I work for an eBay shoe retailer, selling mainly fetish items.

I'm their IT technician, (unofficial) assistant eBay manager, web developer, lead programmer and graphic designer.

I mainly answer e-mails all day, fix computers when they break and code HTML.

Tomboy Powerhead
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
^ Very cool signature :]

Sunny
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
i am honestly dying to know which, but if you don't wanna say, i understand ;p

i currently have no job...i'm starting one i don't want on monday. but i have an interview tomorrow to be assistant manager in the body shop in the mall. yay?

i'll give you a hint - yellowtail is our biggest account. ;p and prolly the only reason we're even on the map. ha.

we used to do pommery and POP, but no more (hope for better days) ;(

good luck with the body shop interview!

grunge
01-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Job is suck !!! I like beer and the rest )))

HeadAroundU
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
/\ You are so grunge I hear Nirvana even though I'm listening to something different.

Lars
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I try to wage daily warfare with developers in destroying their work, currently it's with DICE, previously it was Criterion. It all falls under the EA name anyway.

Currently I work at this building
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9594/eachertseybp9.th.jpg (http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eachertseybp9.jpg)

Offices moving to Guildford soon though, it sucks, twice the distance away, lots more traffic (or well, just traffic, I don't really have an issue with it now) and parking issues as they have no on-site. Public transport from where I live is impossible as well... Nothing direct at all and more expensive than the fuel costs.

Meg
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Saying that, I've got glandular fever, so I'm doing nothing over the next couple of weeks as i am poorlysick. Doing nothing except for playing Call of Duty and eating chocolate ice cream and taking a whole lot of ibuprofen.

*Laughs at you* I haven't! :D

I've not had a job for ages, and my last job was at a cafe. In an ideal world i'd work in a cafe again because I absolutely loved it there. Other than the shitty work colleagues.

At the moment i've got a work "trial" due for saturday, which should be interesting. If I get the job it'll just be saturday work mainly, which is crap, but better than nothing I suppose.

Oh, and it's at a butcher-type place.

calichix
01-30-2008, 10:49 PM
My job? I'm a nursing auxiliary in at a clinical research facility in Birmingham, which is owned by the sickeningly huge research charity Wellcome. It's attached to a hospital, so my pay comes through the NHS. Even though the NHS is in the shit, and nurses generally get atrocious pay, I'm pretty well off.

There's recently been a new pay initiative through the NHS named the Agenda for Change, which compares people from the same job title, the work they do in their unit/ward, and pays accordingly. As my unit at work is very specific, I am expected to do more technical jobs than most ward-based auxiliaries (such as taking blood, performing ECG's etc etc) and so I've ended up getting a pay grade higher than other auxiliaries in the hopsital (I'm getting just under £15k compared to just over £14k I believe*).

*Not a great deal of money, but if you take into consideration I'm still living with the rents my only real outgoings are £250p/m living and £60p/m for my monthly train pass. I'm enjoying my money too much to even think about moving out at the moment!

how does nursing school work over there? I know in the 80s you got paid training and sometimes paid residency. do you have to get pre-requisites done at college, transfer to a nursing school, and pass the boards? or do you do it all at once?

michelle&bella, I photograph babies the day after they're born in a little bassinet for official purposes then on the mama's shoulder, in the dad's hands, etc. for the family. :] I don't have to take any morgue photos or anything unless I volunteer. so for now I'll stick to lil chiquititas.

michelle are you gonna be a journalist?

Endymion
01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
journalist?

chemist (<3)

Betty
01-31-2008, 01:57 AM
What Ryan said. Actually, I just wanna boss people around.

I'm doing the editing cause I'm a total perfectionist and am becoming obsessed over grammar.

Amiralanal
01-31-2008, 02:12 AM
Im a telemarketer.

Andy
01-31-2008, 06:58 AM
how does nursing school work over there? I know in the 80s you got paid training and sometimes paid residency. do you have to get pre-requisites done at college, transfer to a nursing school, and pass the boards? or do you do it all at once?

Nowadays it's just like a normal course at university; if your grades fulfil the universities requirements you can apply. It's not at easy as simply "getting paid to train" - your tuition fees are paid for, so you are essentially doing the course for free and you can apply for a NHS bursary to help you with basic living and other course costs. The main reason for the bursary is because the nursing course (like any other healthcare course) is so intensive it doesn't leave any time for extra-curricular part-time jobs as a means of getting a little pocket money. The bursary agency does insist that the money they give you should be enough to live a comfortable life in the three years you're training, but unfortunately they're pretty short sighted.

The NHS bursary works much in the same way as our student loans system works - they take necessary information from you such as where you live and your parents financial situation (if you're under 21), and using that calculate what they feel is an adequate sum. As I started my course when I was under 21, they looked into my parents collective salaries and noticed that they were just over the boundary for me to be eligible for a full bursary- meaning they expect them to finance me. I was awarded a monthly bursary of something like 65. Remember this money is meant to cover for any money you would lose not being able to work in a part-time job. 65 a month? I got more than that when I was a paperboy.

Anyway, as my parents were already being good and generous enough to pay for my accomodation (I chose to take my course at a university outside of Birmingham), it meant I had to support myself when it came to food, books etc. Meaning, I had to apply for a student loan. When I applied for the loan, not only did they find my parents were just over the threshold for a maximum loan, but I was also on a NHS student bursary. I got the lowest band possible. A few months later I quit.

The NHS bursary nonsense is why the vast majority of nursing students in the UK choose to stay and study at home.

Anyway, enough of that!

To answer your question; yes, the NHS pays for the nursing course, both degree and diploma I believe. And you don't get paid to study per se, they try and help you live to cover for their ridiculously intense course (you need to realise that up until around 10 years ago or something, the very same course used to be four years long instead of three. In fact, they've even ADDED content.)

Sunny
01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
michelle&bella, I photograph babies the day after they're born in a little bassinet for official purposes then on the mama's shoulder, in the dad's hands, etc. for the family. :] I don't have to take any morgue photos or anything unless I volunteer. so for now I'll stick to lil chiquititas.

awwwww, omg. i don't even like kids that much, but your job sounds ridiculously cute.

H1T_That
01-31-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm an electro-mechanical/Robotics maintenance engineer for Caterpillar Uk.

Rag Doll
01-31-2008, 08:35 AM
i'll give you a hint - yellowtail is our biggest account. ;p and prolly the only reason we're even on the map. ha.

we used to do pommery and POP, but no more (hope for better days) ;(

good luck with the body shop interview!

ahhhh yellowtail ;p. ok.

one thing i will say positive about yellowtai...they had some in store display thing that played music, and it had ted leo + the pharmacists and of montreal on it. i was pretty pleased.

and to continue with the job thing, i have an interview today to work at jcpenney portrait studio. which might be good just because i'm sure there would be good stories coming out of there.

Sunny
01-31-2008, 08:38 AM
bahahah.
someone broke into our brand manager's car and stole like everything... but didn't take a case of yellowtail she had in the backseat. and everyone was like "lol, go figure". =p

all the kangaroo gear (including a huge inflatable roo) is sweet though. ;D

Rag Doll
01-31-2008, 08:58 AM
we had a big inflatable roo, a big stuffed roo, etc. otherwise, yaaaaaaa.... ;p

Sunny
01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
we stabbed our inflatable roo and put together a whole crime scene (with tape and outlines and everything).

k aaaanyways. moving right along. we are perfectly well-adjusted human beings...

Tizzalicious
02-01-2008, 12:21 AM
I have my own business.

Damn that sounds cool.

Actually, I'm on disability, but I opened my own webshop to get out of disability. Sales are going well so far!

calichix
02-01-2008, 12:31 AM
what's your business?

Tizzalicious
02-01-2008, 12:54 AM
My shop :)

Rag Doll
02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
i just got a new job. jcpenney portrait studio. i basically get to take pictures of people's kids all day.

but it pays fairly decent, so, hey...

The Talking Pie
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Congratulations!

Tizzalicious
02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Congrats, Sam!

Mota Boy
02-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm doing the editing cause I'm a total perfectionist and am becoming obsessed over grammar.Must... refrain... from... correcting... grammar...

Meg
02-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Yay me!!! I can actually post in this properly now. I had my work trial today, and I think it went quite well!!!!

So i'm now a saturday assistant at a meat-seller-type-place.

DJMossimo!
02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I make $100 a week at Daddy's Junkie Music selling old beaten up guitars >_>

Meg
02-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure what to call it. Because it's not exactly like a butcher's with pigs and stuff hanging in the window.

We sell raw meats, Ham, pies, baguettes, sandwichs..... Other stuff.....

It's a bit of everything really.

Oh, and it's a stall in an indoor market, not a shop

Andy
02-02-2008, 10:41 AM
A delicatessen then?

Meg
02-02-2008, 10:42 AM
But.... Don't they do cakes?

We're all about the meat pal =P

Oh, and cheese

Andy
02-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Nope, they do meat. A bakery does cakes...

Meg
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Right... Well in which case that me be what you'd call it.

Or it's proper title of "Farmhouse Foods"

God it's difficult working there on an empty stomach =[ They cook lots of the sausages and pork and bacon for samples and rolls.... Not good =[

Andy
02-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree with TTIG. If the food's there for samples, then it's the duty of the shopkeep to be able to give an honest recommendation if anyone were to ask.

Eat away.

Meg
02-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I did in the end. I was stood there waiting to give samples out and no-one came over for a little while, So I robbed a piece of Gloucester chipolata, a piece of Pork and leek, and two pieces of chilli sausage

Which wasn't actually that bad =/

Little_Miss_1565
02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I work for a record label. Wheee.

Little_Miss_1565
02-02-2008, 12:54 PM
so you been here over a decade AND you have a trupunx job.

baby you make me hard. If you ever wanna talk sometime, I'll be doin phonesex soon. I can fullfill all your verbal fantasies...

Yeah? You think you can roll with this? Tell me about your cheerleader uniform...oooh yeeeaah...

Rag Doll
02-02-2008, 02:06 PM
i had briefly considered phone sex as a job after being told by a whole bunch of people i'd be awesome at it.

then i realized i'd probably lol too much. =\

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Nah. You only lol so much because I make funny noises.