PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland

Splinter[PI]
01-31-2008, 08:10 AM
what comes to your mind if you think about switzerland?
have you ever been in Switzerland?
just wanna know, i'm bored...

Andy
01-31-2008, 08:32 AM
One of the few ambitions in my life is to have a Swiss bank account. Call me immature but there's something romantic about the idea.

I heard the other day that there are more businesses based in Switzerland than there are people. I love how the country is like, "Hey, guys! Over here! Come stay here. Er... We have no tax. How's that? Will you be our friend now? Cool! Here, have some cheese and toblerone."

Bazza
01-31-2008, 08:42 AM
I've been to Geneva, but only stayed one night. I loved the big fountain on the lake, in fact I posted a photo of it somewhere. One thing about Geneva is that it just seems like an extension to France, but with funny money!

Sunny
01-31-2008, 08:55 AM
i've only been there once, but it was great. very clean, very pretty, beautiful mountains, good food.

aside from that, when i think switzerland, i mostly think ski resorts, jewelry, money, cheese. and perfectly manicured parks :]

Andy
01-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Capitalism at it's finest!

HeadAroundU
01-31-2008, 09:05 AM
No, I haven't.

What comes to mind? Swiss knife.

Meg
01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
What comes to mind? Very white, snowy mountains... And for some reason, mineral water =S

RickyCrack
01-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Speak REAL german. damn swissies.

Tizzalicious
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
I've been there many times with my family as a kid, so mostly I just think: Ah, memories! I love it there, it's so beautiful. I wish we had more (or any) mountains here.

Sidewinder
02-01-2008, 04:08 AM
Definitely they best Electric Six album in terms of musical aspects.

Bazza
02-01-2008, 04:27 AM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/bazza1987/Geneva1280x800.jpg
^ Just about sums up the beauty/picturesqueness of Switzerland

Llamas
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Speak REAL german. damn swissies.

This totally comes to mind. Seriously, what is this FrenchGerman.

Also, weird cheeses, amazing chocolate, ski resorts, very clean, neutrality (lolfags), huge business headquarters.

Swiss cheese, Swiss mocha, Swiss army knife, Swiss family robinson. :D

nameless
02-02-2008, 04:52 PM
my sister went skiing there and loved it! its not high on my list of places to visit but i would like to go at some point!

Nina
02-04-2008, 01:06 PM
What I instantly think of is:
watches
chocolate
neutral

Sunny
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Also, weird cheeses

swiss cheeses are awesome, you heathen! ;p

coke_a_holic
02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Definitely they best Electric Six album in terms of musical aspects.

I entered this thread just to say this, thx hivemind.

sKratch
02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Why do foreign people just stop by GC to say "Hey what do you think of the country I'm from?"?

HornyPope
02-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Why do foreign people just stop by GC to say "Hey what do you think of the country I'm from?"?

It's called curiosity.

sKratch
02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I've just been thrown off by how similar every thread of that sort is.

Nina
02-05-2008, 02:14 AM
Hm I can relate to it. When I was introduced to the interwebz I hadnt really had a deep conversation with a foreigner yet (due to my age, I guess) so it was absolutely new to me to hear what people thought of the country I live in. Maybe he's the sweet age of ~*~12~*~.

Sunny
02-05-2008, 06:11 AM
speaking of switzerland, here's a random bit of lols. my dad in law went there on a business trip last week and like... almost died of cheese overdose. apparently there's a swiss custom of some type that involves eating a whole monstrous wheel of cheese with friends. his business partner/guide guy was like "u must eat, it's tradition". pound and a half of cheese later, my poor dad in law was like... omfg. ded.

he won't be able to even look at swiss cheese for a long time. eeehehe.

Vera
02-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Oh god that sounds super-sick. >_<

CHEESECAKE FLASHBACKS.

(Oh yeah dude, we made Finnishized cheesecake at New Year.. it was much lighter and manageable. I guess 'cuz the Finnish one used cottage cheese.)

Sunny
02-05-2008, 06:39 AM
oh my god mr sunny brought me junior's cheesecake the other day. it was amazing. took me the longest time to eat though!

conclusion: DON'T HATE! ;D

next time i see u, i make u cheesecake. that is, if you're not too traumatized. ;D

Vera
02-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Your American cheesecake will kill me. Unless you make it less fatty than Junior's. It tasted good but maybe should be only eaten one spoonful at a time.

The Finnish cheesecake was delicious, though, omg.

Beheaded
02-05-2008, 06:52 AM
What comes to mind? Ricola

http://www.shriro.com.sg/images/Ricola_Group.jpg

"Wer hat's erfunden?"
"Die Schweizer."

Sau beschissene Werbung.
Pretty shitty advertising.

Sunny
02-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Your American cheesecake will kill me. Unless you make it less fatty than Junior's. It tasted good but maybe should be only eaten one spoonful at a time.

The Finnish cheesecake was delicious, though, omg.

do you have the recipe in english?

and nah, i make it lighter/fluffier. it's not deathbycheesecake ;D

Vera
02-05-2008, 07:12 AM
No, but I think the lightness comes from the fact it used cottage cheese and curd cheese (quark? the Finnish word is 'rahka' and those two words my net dictionary gave me for the English word..) instead of what the American/New York Cheesecake receipes I found, which use cream cheese.

And heavy cream. The Finnish receipe, if I remember correctly, didn't have any cream..

Come to think of it, the Finnish one isn't really a cheesecake since the ingredients were so different. :d

Sunny
02-05-2008, 07:14 AM
ya, that'd be cottage cheese. polish cheesecake uses white farmer's cheese, and it has a different texture (less creamy).. but it's also super delicious.

i love how we cheesecaked up this thread. um... back on topic... toblerone is awesome, y/n? ;p

nieh
02-05-2008, 07:17 AM
speaking of switzerland, here's a random bit of lols. my dad in law went there on a business trip last week and like... almost died of cheese overdose. apparently there's a swiss custom of some type that involves eating a whole monstrous wheel of cheese with friends. his business partner/guide guy was like "u must eat, it's tradition". pound and a half of cheese later, my poor dad in law was like... omfg. ded.

he won't be able to even look at swiss cheese for a long time. eeehehe.

I bet you they were just messing with him to see how far he would go along with it.

Sunny
02-05-2008, 07:19 AM
that would've been amazing, wouldn't it? ;D

calichix
02-05-2008, 08:07 AM
milk maids, beer, spas.

HornyPope
02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
milk maids, beer, spas.

If I had a perfect day, it would involve all three in one way or another.

Sounds like a nice country this Switzerland.

sKratch
02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
If I had a perfect day,

I would have it start this way!

JohnnyNemesis
02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
FUCK YOU. Fuck you. FUCK. YOU. I was just about to post that, except I was gonna throw in "open up the fridge and have a tall boy, yeah". You ruined my moment. Go fuck yourself!

Duskygrin
02-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Switzerland. Johnny Halliday. Capital flow. Slow. SLOW. Cuckoos. Clocks. Clean. Boring. Mountains.

Sunny
02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
FUCK YOU. Fuck you. FUCK. YOU. I was just about to post that, except I was gonna throw in "open up the fridge and have a tall boy, yeah". You ruined my moment. Go fuck yourself!

i was gonna do it too. you guyses are assholes >:O

JoY
02-06-2008, 05:08 AM
I go there twice a year on average, about four weeks every year in total. I can't name everything that pops to mind & I bet half of what I'm going to say is not going to make sense to most of you guys whatsoever.

Switzerland for me, in pretty random order:
-Walliserdeutsch,
-Walliser Bier,
-Muhlebach,
-Erner Galen,
-Ernen Musikdorf Festival,
-Catholicism,
-local Raclette Käse (I bet that's what you were talking about, Sunny),
-the sound of the little red train/locomotive whistling through the mountains,
-green summers with grasshoppers & crickets buzzing & the bells of cows ringing,
-white winters with deer & bunny footsteps in the snow,
-everchanging landscape,
-air,
-freedom,
-peaceful,
-my family, most importantly my grandparents...

in a more generic, depersonalised view: neutrality, good with money, pocketknives (Victorinox all the way), clocks & watches, chocolate & cheese.

Bazza, that was the worst representation of Switzerland I've ever seen. you always provide great images/pictures, really, it rocks, but that's not what most of Switzerland looks like & it certainly isn't as pretty & beautiful as I know it. but that's of course subjective.

edit; of course my view is also based on a limited part of Switzerland, actually mostly, if not only the South of the country. & a picture can't capture a country, but it can capture what it means to you/how you see it. I feel my reaction was rather arrogant. sorry for that. to make it up to you, I'll show you one of my favorite pictures:

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9029/swizzzo0.jpg