PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's Music Thought of the Afternoon.

Jakebert
02-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Don't you just love it when you listen to an album that you haven't listened to in a long time, and you suddenly get reminded of why you loved it in the first place?

Tonight when I got back from hanging out with John and Royce, I decided to listen to Stay What You Are by Saves the Day, and I don't know what it is, but it fucking it me hard. The whole time I listened to it, I imagined that I was laying on my back in the field behind my house and staring at the nighttime sky, just thinking, with lightening bugs flying all around me, and warm friendly air sitting softly.

This album has always kind of hit me like this. It's just so fucking good. To me, the number one sign of a truly good album is the ability to move someone, even years after the first time the person heard it. I remember the first time I heard it: I had bought it at the Sam Goody in Calcutta one night based on my love for "At Your Funeral", but didn't listen to it until the next day while I was waiting for the bus. I was blown away, and that summer it was basically the only album I listened to. I remember staying up late and watching late night TV, then going outside for walks and studying the album almost religiously. I still have almost every single note, word, and drumbeat of the album memorized despite the fact that I listen to it maybe 3-4 times a year.

But every time I listen to it, I feel the same way. I get that strange emotional feeling that overtakes my whole body every time. "This Is Not An Exit" is still without a doubt one of the most beautiful songs that I've ever heard. It kind of depresses me that Saves the Day hasn't released an album that even comes close to being as good (although I do really like "In Reverie"), but then again, I've built this one up so much in my mind that I don't think anything they'll ever do could compare.

Does anyone else have any albums that do that to you? Also, what do they remind you of/make you feel?

Meg
02-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I've had several moments like this. Thought they haven't always remindd me of good things. When I first leant to toxicity album [SOAD] off a friend, I went to Turkey on holiday the weeks after. All I can remember about being there was the terrible food, contaminated water and the listening to that album at night-time when it was just too damned hot to sleep.

Sidewinder
02-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I have that with a couple albums, Garbage's "Version 2.0" being the more prominent. For me, I think that since I've had/loved it for so long, and have gone on mad listening sprees at all times in my life, I have memories tied in with it from every part of my life as well, and listening brings them back.

Meg
02-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Generally all spice girls' songs remind me of the period of time just before I moved to Wales too.

DJMossimo!
02-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Until a few weeks ago I hadn't listened to the Dead Kennedys for a year or so. I love Fresh Fruit for Rotten Vegetables...

nieh
02-02-2008, 12:17 PM
The last time that I saw you, August of '99,
I should've had my hammer and a few rusty spikes
to nail you on a wall and use bottles to catch your blood
and display you for the neighbors so they know your time had come.
And I'd drink your blood and feel it dripping down my throat
as it heads for my heart.
And as your body sags and the stench rises in vain,
the people on the street are collecting in dismay.
Before your eyes your head lifts towards the sky
and that's the last thing they'll remember of you.
You've become a ghost.
You're floating somewhere in between
the waking world and a landscape of dreams.
Well it's nothing but dying.
You've got a grenade stuck in your teeth and you're pulling at the pin.
You're an illusion, just a shadow flickering underneath the sun.

lolz!

But yeah, I know what you're talking about, though I normally forget what albums do that to me unless I just listened to it for the first time in a while.

WebDudette
02-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Afi - Sing the Sorrow, not sure why but it does.

GBH2
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
it's cool when that happens. since none of my [former] favorite punk bands have been putting out new stuff lately (they're mostly dead or broken up), i've been listening to stuff like bauhaus and the cult and joy division nonstop, and every so often when my ipod is on shuffle i hear a kickass song i haven't heard in a long time.

Little_Miss_1565
02-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Yup. The last one was Green Day. Dookie. "Having a Blast" used to just come out of my mouth when drunk and then finally I wen tback and listened to it again and I was like holy shit.