PDA

View Full Version : If I were to...

IamSam
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
...purchase a Bad Religion album, just one, which one would you suggest me to get in your wonderful, musical opinions.

JohnnyNemesis
02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Stranger Than Fiction.

Rag Doll
02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
i would suggest saving your $20.

Jakebert
02-03-2008, 02:06 PM
No Substance. lol.

JohnnyNemesis
02-03-2008, 02:17 PM

lolololo.

No Substance. lol.

:(

0r4ng3
02-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Either Suffer or Against the Grain.

coke_a_holic
02-03-2008, 02:24 PM

I would suggest this.

jacknife737
02-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Stranger Than Fiction.

This is the correct response.

Also, their last two releases The Empire Strikes First and New Maps of Hell have been quite solid.

Short_Attention_Span
02-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Personally, I don't think you can't go wrong with Suffer. The others have their strong points, but really, IMHO, Suffer is not only my favorite, but one of their best and is totally solid.

Although, if you're new to the band, you might want to consider picking up the All Ages greatest hits disc. It only has their earlier stuff on it, but you'd be able to get a decent grasp of what their on about, and pick which songs you like and go from there.
________
Neon engine (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine)

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
i'm partial to Generator and No Control

Homer
02-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Against The Grain.

Or The New America, for real value.

Wolfbutter
02-04-2008, 04:05 AM
The Empire Strikes First is an awful album. When I put it in, I couldn't help but wonder what everyone was smoking.

HeadAroundU
02-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Download the whole discography, illegally. Pick 12 best songs. Delete the rest and that's it. That's what I did. And never listened to it since then. :D

Homer
02-04-2008, 04:10 PM
The Empire Strikes First is an awful album. When I put it in, I couldn't help but wonder what everyone was smoking.

Yes, YOU think it's an awful album.

Sidewinder
02-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Stranger than Fiction. "The Handshake" is arguably one of the best BR songs.

IamSam
02-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking Stranger than Fiction may be the winner.

I have also just listened to 1208 today after reading someone's comments on here. I have to say I'm really impressed!

Wolfbutter
02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes, YOU think it's an awful album.

"blah blah it ur opinion!!!!"

Yes, everyone knows it was an opinion. You don't have to state it. That is something I have no tolerance for.

But seriously, that album was awful.

wheelchairman
02-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Suffer is by far, the worst album I've heard by them. DO NOT BUY IT YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

I am quite partial to The Process of Belief. I remember I got it when it first came out. I like the album. Good songs that can stand alone. Powerful album as a whole.

But I guess Stranger than Fiction is alright as well. Nothing particularly special though. Has a nice feel all the way through.

So does Against The Grain, but Stranger than Fiction is a bit better.

0r4ng3
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
The thing about Bad Religion is, people expect different things from them. Since their style has changed a few times, there's not one universally liked album. For every one person that likes one of their albums, there's another who hates it, and vice versa.

wheelchairman
02-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Well that's not entirely true, Stranger than Fiction stills sells rather highly and it was their highest debuting album. And the responses here sort of reflect that, many people have mentioned they liked this album.

Personally when I buy albums I usually try and find a band's most recent album, or an album I know I'll like.

But Suffer is still a godawful punk album. Their lowest common denominator. It's a good album for a first album, allowing them to progress musically and qualitively. But I still can't listen to it. The only song I really like is Land of Competition.

Sidewinder
02-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Stranger Than Fiction seems to also be the album that if you took all their styles and combined them, that's what you'd get. That, and it's the only album I can still listen to all the way through after hearing it a few times without getting bored.

Homer
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
But Suffer is still a godawful punk album. Their lowest common denominator. It's a good album for a first album, allowing them to progress musically and qualitively. But I still can't listen to it. The only song I really like is Land of Competition.

Suffer was a great album. It pretty much revived punk after it died in '86, which is why most people like it. Also, it wasn't their first album, they made two full lengths before that, and a couple of EP's.

But as Jesse stated, every person likes one album of their's more than the other, since their style is constantly changing. Well, actually, they usually change after every three albums. So, it's hard to state that one album is awful, and one is better.

Though, Into the Known (though I kind of like it), No Substance, and New America are exceptions.

"blah blah it ur opinion!!!!"
Yes, everyone knows it was an opinion. You don't have to state it. That is something I have no tolerance for.
But seriously, that album was awful.

No, what I meant was YOU and ONLY YOU think it sucks.

JohnnyNemesis
02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
No Substance was awesome, I h8 u ppl :(

Homer
02-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, it has its moments... like Hear It. And, uh, The Same Person.

JohnnyNemesis
02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
and In So Many Ways, and At The Mercy of Imbeciles. That's pretty much it I guess, but those songs are awesome so h8 4 all of u

opivy21
02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I actually really like Suffer.

Wolfbutter
02-05-2008, 08:07 PM
No, what I meant was YOU and ONLY YOU think it sucks.

I couldn't possible imagine anyone enjoying that supersonic garbage.

wheelchairman
02-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Suffer was a great album. It pretty much revived punk after it died in '86, which is why most people like it. Also, it wasn't their first album, they made two full lengths before that, and a couple of EP's.

You're right about the second point. But I mean, what biography or tribute to Bad Religion did you read to believe that one album saved all of punk rock?

I hate those hokey-pokey let's pat the special band of the month interviews you read every once in a while.

Suffer is very different from their later stuff, if Iamsamsadorwahatever has only heard the recent stuff. It'll be a bitter disappointment to hear this album. (especially since they only improve.)

Homer
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
But I mean, what biography or tribute to Bad Religion did you read to believe that one album saved all of punk rock?

Well, I didn't mean just Suffer, but it was definitely a huge help.

Suffer is very different from their later stuff, if Iamsamsadorwahatever has only heard the recent stuff. It'll be a bitter disappointment to hear this album. (especially since they only improve.)

I disagree. When I started to listen to Bad Religion, I began with listening to some of their newer stuff, and then went right to Suffer. I surprised at how much more I liked it than their newer stuff. It all depends on taste.

bouncingcoles
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
dont listen to anyone else

buy empire strikes first or process of belief. good albums to start with.

FrancoDaHui
02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
mmm if you want more fast punk rock songs, go for suffer, no control and against the grain. But if you want some variety listen to the new america, the process of belief or new maps of hell