PDA

View Full Version : Mrconeman's various musical adventures.

mrconeman
09-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Figured that thread title might catch your eye. Anyway, I'm guna use this thread to throw a few of my originals/covers/whatevers up on the board for some opinions/crits/whatevers.

I've had a music page for as long as I can remember, but I wrote a classical-esque finger picked song the other day on guitar that prompted this thread.

This is my first attempt at writing anything classical-esque, I only started finger picking recently.

Its only 1 minute or so long, I couldnt really think of anything else to add to it, and to be truthfull, I didn't really want too, I think it's kind of cool how it is, although, the other day was the first day working on it, so by next month it'l probably be a different track or something.

It's called Repose (Meaning the act of relaxation or something similar...dont make fun of the artsy name)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=262777

Click hi-fi beside any track you wish to stream.

I'd like your opinion of the track, plain and simple, did ya like it?
Feel free to comment on anything on that page in here, but some of those tracks are up to a year old and pretty much suck in comparison to what I could do now, so don't expect much from the older ones. I'll update in here every so often if the thread gets any interest.

kthxbye

Mr. Noodles
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
I thought "Repose" was pretty good. Very calm and relaxing.
I also really enjoyed the Crazy Train riff and solo.
Being a Terminator fan, I really liked the cover of the T2 theme.

mrconeman
02-03-2008, 05:09 PM
So I had a partied out weekend, and somewhere between saturday night and sunday morning, between drunk and hungover, I decided sitting playing guitar with a serious case of sleep deprivation was a better idea than sleeping. I wrote an instrumental acoustic peice in the process, hell who needs sleep anyway. I think my lack of sleep and partied out state of mind may have added to it coming out this way.

As you hear it here, it's a little tiny bit different to how it is now, I recorded it really early on sunday morning before actually going to bed, and have changed it slightly since waking up, it's more smooth now, but this gives a rough idea.

Theres some finger picking and tapping, hope you like it...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=262777
It's called Breezy-Going. And remember, it's only rough, I might get a finished version some time...

DJMossimo!
02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
It's a great song. I like the fact that it was done with fingerpicking. It sounds more natural that way

Homer
02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I listened, and me likes.

Though, I wouldn't know how to offer advice, since I don't really listen to this type of music. So, all I can say is: 'tis good.

T-6005
02-03-2008, 08:24 PM
A little campy is the only criticism I can really think of it. Also at times the smoothness that's a part of the rest of the song is a little lacking and you hit the string really hard.

But all the same, it's a very nice little tune. Perfect for some easy listening, which is something I can almost always appreciate.

Feels like you had quite a bit of John Butler Influence going - you jumped up and down in the same way he does, if you know what I mean, and your choice of drone/bass notes was incredibly similar to a few of his songs I can bring to mind. Definitely a compliment in the way I mean it - sometimes John Butler's a little too campy for me, but you've got a good balance.

Whoa - the most intense part just came up, and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. If you wanted to do this, you should have recorded more softly - there's noticeable boom on the lower notes, and it just sounds done for contrast. Maybe another lower melody with more tension would have helped you out more.

And back again.

Hrm - there's almost a compromise here that I'm really liking (only noticed it here, but on my second listen I realize it suffuses the entire piece). I'm feeling the John Butler acoustic, like I said before, but it's not like his stuff at all in a way. It sounds like what I personally identify to be a sort of folksy Irish sound. Very nicely done, too.

A very well written little piece with a few unfortunate rough edges. Keep this little one in your memory banks, it sounds like a fantastic one to bust out live.

Vera
02-04-2008, 05:47 AM
I merged this with ..this other thing as I noticed you had quite a bit of threads happening in this forum.

So, use this topic in the future, thanks. If you want me to change the title into something else, just shout at me here or PM or whatever.

mrconeman
02-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Oh, sorry about that. I totally forgot I'd made a general thread for my music. No problem, I'll post it all here.

I'll get responses where needed a little later, vrytiredkthxbye.

EDITS:

A little campy is the only criticism I can really think of it. Also at times the smoothness that's a part of the rest of the song is a little lacking and you hit the string really hard.

But all the same, it's a very nice little tune. Perfect for some easy listening, which is something I can almost always appreciate.
Firstly, awesome response, it's exactly the sort of thing you look for when posting things on here.
You're right too, there were a little too many repeated sections for my liking aswell, I do hope to develop a few more little touches, little counter melodies or just small parts, to add a little more diversity, and cut out a few of the straight repeated sections. I did hit the string too hard a few times too, it's bugging me on the recording, I hit the open E string a few times when I didn't mean to aswell, I'm still sorta getting used to playing in this style, it'll probably be a little rough untill I've mastered my own song, it happens to me sometimes when I change my style, it can be frustrating messing up something I wrote though, haha.

Feels like you had quite a bit of John Butler Influence going - you jumped up and down in the same way he does, if you know what I mean, and your choice of drone/bass notes was incredibly similar to a few of his songs I can bring to mind. Definitely a compliment in the way I mean it - sometimes John Butler's a little too campy for me, but you've got a good balance.
Oh, definitely. I have you to thank for the influence too, since sending me the Sunrise Over Sea album, I've aquired, I think now, all of the albums he's played on. They've shot right up into my favourite bands, and I'd now cite him as one of the best players out there and a growing influence on me.
I've gotten more into the general style of acoustic instrumentals too, Andy McKee, Micheal Hedges, a couple other guys, I'd reccomend checking a few of them out, but for me John Butler is the better song writer of them all, even though a few of them have better technical skill with the instrument.

I was a little worried after writing this that it may sound a little too John Butlerish, but listening more to it, I think it's fair enough to say you can hear the influence, but theres no ripping off going on, I done this in standard tuning too, I wanted to see if I could get that sort of sound without tuning into some weird open tuning like all those guys normally do, I definitely hear what you mean in the bass notes too though. I might try leaving my acoustic in a few different open tunings for a couple days at a time, see if I can come up with anything else.

Whoa - the most intense part just came up, and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. If you wanted to do this, you should have recorded more softly - there's noticeable boom on the lower notes, and it just sounds done for contrast. Maybe another lower melody with more tension would have helped you out more.

Hmmm, I'll keep the idea in mind, for sure. I guess this piece will change somewhat everytime I play it, or try to revise it, I didn't really have an order or anything going to record it, but I did have all the bits. I have to say, after the strumming, when it just stops dead, before going into the tapping, that was a bad idea. I've got another little bit to bridge the gap between them now too. The recording was just a pc mic again though, and I'm useless at the whole technical side of things on that front, but yeah, I actually will do a bit of trial and error, see what sounds best, different distances and stuff.

Hrm - there's almost a compromise here that I'm really liking (only noticed it here, but on my second listen I realize it suffuses the entire piece). I'm feeling the John Butler acoustic, like I said before, but it's not like his stuff at all in a way. It sounds like what I personally identify to be a sort of folksy Irish sound. Very nicely done, too.
Well this just made me smile. That's exactly what I was going for, a sort of easy listening, fingerstyle (John Butlery) acoustic peice, with Irish influence.
It's kind of like what we were talking about before, everytime I go through a phase of different music, whatever I happen to write in that time comes out with that influence kind of apparant. I've been listening to loads of the JBT, and I always have a little bit of Irish traditional music in there somewhere. I've been messing around with a few celtic melodies, which helps too.

A very well written little piece with a few unfortunate rough edges. Keep this little one in your memory banks, it sounds like a fantastic one to bust out live.
Overall, just thanks!
A few people have said about it sounding like it'd be nice live, I'd like to have an audiances attention and throw it out there!