PDA

View Full Version : Never buy...

MrJoe
02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
...a Sony audio product.

I've had ipods, I don't like them much. I've had other mp3 players, not great.
I thought i'd found a good one in this Sony one I've had for over a year.
Huge battery life, and sound just as good as an ipod.

Then a couple of months ago after spending ages putting new music onto it, it caused a 'format error'. I tried fixing it a couple of times but was still fucked.
So I forgot about it.

Then earlier I thought I'd try again, following all the proper procedures, spent over an hour doing it all again, only for it to STILL fail.

Now, I rarely ever get pissed off or angry, but tonight, I did for the first time in ages.

And so I trashed the little Sony piece of shit with a concrete block!

See below for the remains! [click for bigger image]

On a side note, I haven't looked at General Chat in a while, and first impressions show that nothing's really changed!

http://www.ipshit.com/images/mp3-trashed2.jpg (http://www.ipshit.com/images/mp3-trashed.jpg)

nieh
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Never buy a Sony product.

Fixed. I've only had one Sony product (my home stereo) that hasn't either sucked from the beginning or crapped out within a year or two despite costing $300 or so.

Jesus Christ
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Sorry for that, but why don't you like iPods? I don't really see a reason to reject them over something else.

Tijs
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't see what's so special about iPods, they're expensive and offer nothing more than other MP3-players. You only pay for it's name. I've heard many cases around me of iPods crashing (last case: today). The guy paid €170,- for 2GB, while at the same time I paid €160,- for 20GB. Now I know it's not only the space that counts, but still.

I liked my Creative MP3 player, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Worked great for a year, but apparently I hit it with something cause it's damaged on the back.

edit: Oh, and too bad, Joe.

Jesus Christ
02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
iPods are pretty much the highest quality MP3 players out right now. They just come in better condition, look slicker, they have pictures of album art, they can hold videos, play games etc. And about the crashing, most of them break within a year or so. Just look at this guy. And I got a 80G for $250. I don't know Dutch dollars or anything but it's not that expensive.

coke_a_holic
02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
iPods are pretty much the highest quality MP3 players out right now. They just come in better condition, look slicker, they have pictures of album art, they can hold videos, play games etc. And about the crashing, most of them break within a year or so. Just look at this guy. And I got a 80G for $250. I don't know Dutch dollars or anything but it's not that expensive.

Yeah, this basically hits it.

iPods are much more expensive than basically all other mp3 players, but they hold up for the longest, they look the nicest, and they've got the most accessory-ability. In the past 2 years, I've gone through two Creative Zens and caved and got an iPod (I bought my sister's from her buy trading her a Nano and $50); it's lasted the longest yet. She got it when I got my first Creative Zen, and it's still holding up perfectly fine.

Tijs
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
iPods aren't the only MP3-players with album art, video support, etc. As for the quality, I've never seen it proven that iPods have a better quality sound than other MP3-players. It's not only dependent on which MP3-player you use but also on which headphones you use. It's true that the standard headphones are crap most of the time, but just buy good ones then.
And I still stand by the fact that I've seen many cases of crashed iPods.

But I gotta say, $250 for 80GB isn't a lot at all, even in Dutch dollars.

MrJoe
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
iPods are dirt-cheap nowadays, and they're a lot better than some of the other rubbish players out there.

Saying I don't like them may be a little strong, they have improved a lot since I first had one a couple of years ago.
But for me, battery life is important, and battery life on iPods is pretty dire in my opinion. Before my Mp3 player broke, it had a 50 hour battery life.

JohnnyNemesis
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Sometimes I wonder about all these stories of iPod crashing. I'm on my third iPod, but that's because I keep upgrading in terms of space and capability (I went from a 20GB to a 40GB to a 30GB with video), and I had each for a long loooooooong time with no problems. And my iPods have like, fallen on the concrete, bounced around, and come back working just fine. The only problem I ever had was with water damage, but that happens to all electronics.

Jakebert
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Mine freezes up a lot, but it's never died yet. And I'm going on 2 years with it.

WebDudette
02-07-2008, 05:13 PM
But, but... iTunes :(.

Jesus Christ
02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Why does everybody think iTunes is bad? It is very user-friendly. I use it all the time with no problems whatsoever. It makes me wonder how other people process information.

WebDudette
02-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I've used it, several times. Not because I have an iPod, but because all my friends do and they want my music. Some examples of why I dislike it, it has caused my computer to lock up a couple times and it takes forever for me to transport my music.

Jesus Christ
02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Lock up? Hmmmmmm. Never happened to me before. And you do know you can transfer more than one song at once? Just highlight a whole bunch of 'em and wait a while. If it's a shitload, you can always go do something else. I can't imagine iTunes getting any easier to handle. But I guess people will always have their preferences.

WebDudette
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
30gbs, and yeah I've tried it. Its locked up by the time I get back and it has to start all over again.

Sidewinder
02-07-2008, 07:05 PM
My iPod has only frozen twice in the 2 years I've had it, and like Ricky said, has been bounced off god knows what and even spent nights in my moist swim bag.

My old sony walkman CD player was awesome, I will say. Had that thing for 3 years or so and it survived everything.

About iTunes: It's really not that bad as long as you don't expect it to go beyond the necessities (library organization, etc.)

Now JVC on the other hand, is shit. I bought a stereo from them a few years back and it didn't last a year. I still have the speakers; we use them at our pool in a ghetto-rigged stereo system. But the thing itself blew.

Jakebert
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
My iPod has only frozen twice in the 2 years I've had it, and like Ricky said, has been bounced off god knows what and even spent nights in my moist swim bag.

Is that what you crazy kids are calling it now? Eh? Eh?

Bazza
02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/nw-hd3.gif
An awesome piece of kit, asn't set a foot wrong since I got it several years ago!

the_offsprings_monkey
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Used to have this Sony Ericsson W550i back in the day an it never has failed to this day, I since passed it on to me ma, but only cause I got an upgrade! But gotta say, one of the better phones I've ever had.

http://www.centrumse.pl/img/testy/fox/W550i/mid/3.jpg

Lizardus
02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
My old sony walkman CD player was awesome, I will say. Had that thing for 3 years or so and it survived everything.

Sony can make quality products, people just seem to complain a lot.

There are 4 Sony in my room that are noteworthy:

A stereo bought near the end of the 90's.
It has been moved around the house more times than i care to remember, and for the exception of not playing some CD's correctly, it works pretty fine.

My diskman, also from the end 90's.
Same problem as above and i still use it.

My PS1, mid 90's
Flawless.

The PS2, 2003.
Flawless.

Sometimes depends on the individual unit you get and how you treat it, the only Sony things that have been broken in my house were a tv due to a leak in the roof, my sister's diskman due to a high voltage, my first diskman because it went down a flight of stairs on several occasions and a minidisk that had a really nasty drop..

Endymion
02-07-2008, 11:51 PM
you all do realize you can organized and whatever your ipod using programs other than itunes, right?

Llamas
02-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Creative has the best large players. Their smaller ones have been known to suck, but the Creative Zen Vision M/W were amazing... and the new credit card sized ones have been getting great reviews from everyone. It was those little (like anything under 20GB) micro Creatives that sucked. But from a former music major, Creative products easily have the best sound quality, among many other benefits.

A few reasons I dislike the iPod/like a different player more:
-scroll wheel: so damn hard to navigate in the car. I prefer the buttons on the Microsoft Zune.
-the surface is so easy to scratch that you pretty much have to buy a case or it'll look like shit. Not a problem with the Zune, less of a problem with Creative.
-they're more expensive than either Creative or Microsoft.
-they have less user options than the two previously mentioned.
-they don't play audio files that are not .mp3
-I don't like itunes (I did end up using winamp after getting so annoyed with iTunes that I pretty much stopped using my ipod, though.)
-I think they're the ugliest major mp3 player out there.
-other players have a built in radio, which can come in handy.

After having my Zune for a couple months, I still don't like it nearly as much as the Creative Zen Vision M, but I still prefer it over the iPod.

Tizzalicious
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/nw-hd3.gif
An awesome piece of kit, asn't set a foot wrong since I got it several years ago!

I have that one too, it's perfect. Except for the charger, which broke, so I had to get a huge ass new one, and that little "in between" bit is annoying too, because without that there's no way to charge it.

ADHKJAFGFJK! (yes, I left the in between bit in Denmark and am here without music. H8.)

Jebus
02-08-2008, 12:53 AM
My old ass sony walkman cd player still works. I remember thinking how awesome it was that I could put in tons of mp3s in a single cd and it would play it. 700mbzomgwtfawesome

I have a zune now though. I miss the scroll wheel from my old ipod, but meh. 30 gigs for $100 dollars was nice. Can't complain.

I can't stand any music player other than classic winamp. It's the only player that lets me fast forward/rewind easily using the arrow keys. As far as I can tell, I can't do that with any other players from looking through their options. Also, I'm the type of person who likes finding music in windows explorer through folders. I can't stand it how other bulky players try to scan through my stuff and load up every piece of music within the player. It's easier to just Ctrl+click and drag on drop music into winamp when I want to create custom play lists.

Sunny
02-08-2008, 05:18 AM
that sucks. I'm assuming it was no longer under warranty? :/
And on ipods. here's a reason why apple is the market leader. I love those things even though they break a lot... but all mp3 players are shitty like that. might as well have a good looking one with a nice interface..

However, I've got to say, the blackberry mp3 player aint half bad either. I like it and use it a lot, mostly when I forget my ipod, ;p I'd never actually buy a non-ipod mp3 player that's not a phone though..

And as for people's aversion to itunes, I don't get it. must be a PC thing. you just have to be careful with the new updates sometimes.

wheelchairman
02-08-2008, 06:16 AM
I've owned most brands of mp3 players over the years.

The Creative Muvos have been pretty simple and easy to use. 256-512 MB is not a lot though, but you can change it out as much as you want and as often so it's not like a problem or anything.

I had a Creative Zen that was 512 MB, it *never* *ever* functioned properly and was a horrible waste of money.

Before that though, I had a Creative Zen that was 6 GB. It was great though. I liked it a lot. However I unfortunately dropped it too many times.

I've had the Sony Walkman bean thing. It worked fine. However the software program thing would get a format error on music that didn't come from an original cd (and it would sometimes get it anyways). However smashing it was probably hasty on your part. I still have my Sony Bean thing, it worked for me for like 2 years. Impressive, I stopped using it after the navigation button stopped working. Oh well.

Then I bought an ipod shuffle. That thing was just lovely. And I really liked having all my music on iTunes. In fact I liked it so much that I eventually got the Ipod Nano I have now. 8 GB. (Unfortunately I passed 8 GB of music after only 6 months or something. :( ) I love it though. I love it also simply for the podcast function. I can watch the news on the way to work. I like that it came with games. And all the other extras. So it's been great.

Sunny
02-08-2008, 06:41 AM
ipod nanos are the way to go, because they don't have actual hard drives, so they're less likely to crap out. i just got the new square one and it's such a little cutie pie. good battery life, too.

wheelchairman
02-08-2008, 07:27 AM
The ipod nano is flash disk then? (lol I don't know what I'm talking about.)

I assume that would explain the differences in thickness though.

Sunny
02-08-2008, 07:34 AM
yeah, it is. meaning it can take a little bit more abuse than the hard drive ones. ;z

Little_Miss_1565
02-08-2008, 08:14 AM
-they don't play audio files that are not .mp3

Not true. I listen to WAVs and other formats on my iPod. However, the types of audio files are indeed extremely limited.

But I'm curious as to how you might say that the Creative players have better sound quality. Aren't they all glorified hard drives? The sound quality is contingent on the file quality.

nieh
02-08-2008, 08:21 AM
The sound quality is contingent on the file quality.

Not exactly true. I've burned mp3 cds and played them on a $20 portable mp3-cd player from Wal-Mart and put the exact same files onto an ipod and the ipod sounded worse. The same thing goes for playing mp3 cds on my car vs. having an ipod plugged into the aux port in the same car. Whatever part of the ipod it is that creates the sound (not the ear buds, it's the same even with different headphones) is not as good as other things out there. Though I can't say I'm really experienced with standard mp3 players to say if others are any better, I've only ever had mp3 cd players.

Also, in regards to the flash drive vs. hard drive thing, the flash drive normally results in the thing having longer battery life since there's no moving parts.

Blackball_
02-08-2008, 08:26 AM
But I'm curious as to how you might say that the Creative players have better sound quality. Aren't they all glorified hard drives? The sound quality is contingent on the file quality.thats 99.9% correct.. but that 0.01% that everyone seems to be imagining is the hardware parts like the earphone jack, etc.. can be of differant qualities across manufacturers.

i would bet there are few people on the planet who could tell the differance between an apple earphone socket and a creative one. theyre probably made in the same factory anyway. i dont buy the "sound quality" thing at all.

ive used a creative zen a lot, and like it. but when you press too many buttons it will freeze and you need to hit the reset button. slightly annoying. ipods however look like shit to me. small bits of poofy shit. you never hear of many minor ipod issues like with creative.. ipods fuck up and die, or they do alright. i dont own either.

sony are pretty good. never had a problem with any sony products. but then ive only owned 4 or 5 of them.

i would say, i have issues with ipods only because the word "ipod" and "mp3 player" are synonymous with each other amongst people that dont really know anything. and that bugs me, for some reason.

JohnnyNemesis
02-08-2008, 08:57 AM
And as for people's aversion to itunes, I don't get it. must be a PC thing. you just have to be careful with the new updates sometimes.

It might be. I fucking despised iTunes when I had a PC because the whole thing just didn't make any fucking sense on that OS. On my Mac, iTunes makes perfect sense.

Meg
02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
I think that the only sony audio product I ever had was one of those really clumpy walkmans from back in the 90s, the kind that you could put in tapes and listen to the radio on. I loved that thing.

I seem to remember it being pretty damned reliable. Not the sort of thin you could break by sitting on it, unlike an ipod.

Lizardus
02-08-2008, 11:20 AM
It might be. I fucking despised iTunes when I had a PC because the whole thing just didn't make any fucking sense on that OS. On my Mac, iTunes makes perfect sense.

Some iTunes issues might have something to do with the version.

I used an iPod for several months using a version of iTunes that was a bit old, and when i upgraded the thing was a hateful piece of shit.

While on the subject of mp3's, i remember seeing an 8$ or 9$ players made by some korean company that used X.D or S.D multimedia cards or similar.
They were very basic and minimalistic and of questionable quality, but tiny, portable and cheap.

Anyone knows anything about that?

Jesus Christ
02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Even if your file is not an MP3., iTunes converts it for you. Or at least, that's what it did for me every time.

I have a PC, and use iTunes, and I still think it's great. And about the screen scrachting; you can't notice the scratches when the light is on.

nieh
02-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyway, in regards to Sony products I've had:

Two PS2s have crapped out on me (one from the infamous 'disc read error' that just kept getting more and more impossible to fix as time went on)
Two car stereos under the Aiwa name (Sony owned, made with Sony parts, both were over $75 more expensive than the Pioneer brand one I have now that works a million times better and has the same functions and a remote control(!?) so it's not like they were cheap pieces of crap). Both right from the beginning would randomly refuse to play certain cds, even if those cds were fresh out of the packaging. Once it decided not to play a certain cd (even if it played it previously) it would never play it again. When my brother and I rented a van to drive out to Michigan once, the car stereo was also an Aiwa and also refused to play certain cds.
My home stereo. I actually really like it and have had it for like 7 years and only now starting to occasionally act funny. I give this a thumbs up.
I know there were other smaller things that crapped out on me as well, so that's like one good product out of 5 that I can think of.

wheelchairman
02-08-2008, 12:40 PM
All the playstations I've owned (one PSX and one PS2) have worked fine.

My expensive AIWA stereo was a piece of shit. Hate that thing.

nieh
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I never heard of any issues with the original PSX, but the first couple versions of the PS2 were plagued with problems that were more or less fixed in the later versions.

Bazza
02-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I have that one too, it's perfect. Except for the charger, which broke, so I had to get a huge ass new one, and that little "in between" bit is annoying too, because without that there's no way to charge it.

ADHKJAFGFJK! (yes, I left the in between bit in Denmark and am here without music. H8.)

Yeah the plastic adapter bit was a silly design flaw. My one wish would be to have exactly the same design but with a slightly larger screen and video playback. I'm not a huge fan of the new Sony Walkman mps players:
http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/digitalmusic/sony_nw-a808.jpg
Although it is starting to grow on me....:rolleyes:

holland25
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
...a Sony audio product.

I've had ipods, I don't like them much. I've had other mp3 players, not great.
I thought i'd found a good one in this Sony one I've had for over a year.
Huge battery life, and sound just as good as an ipod.

Then a couple of months ago after spending ages putting new music onto it, it caused a 'format error'. I tried fixing it a couple of times but was still fucked.
So I forgot about it.

Then earlier I thought I'd try again, following all the proper procedures, spent over an hour doing it all again, only for it to STILL fail.

Now, I rarely ever get pissed off or angry, but tonight, I did for the first time in ages.

And so I trashed the little Sony piece of shit with a concrete block!

See below for the remains! [click for bigger image]

On a side note, I haven't looked at General Chat in a while, and first impressions show that nothing's really changed!

I just read that on offspringbootlegs and pissed myself off. The same happened to me about 2 months ago, accidentaly with the same trademark and the same type of the player :D

ruroken
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I've never, EVER had to replace a video game system. I've had my PS2 for... since FFX came out, and it has never had an error. My PSX has always worked perfectly, too.

Also; iPod Nano ftw

sKratch
02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
iTunes seems clunky, is a resource hog, and in my experience from hanging out in various people's rooms, does not run well on Windows.

Jesus Christ
02-08-2008, 01:58 PM
How is iTunes clunky? And I use Windows, it works perfectly fine. What do other programs do that iTunes doesn't? What more could you possibly need?

Llamas
02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
My old ass sony walkman cd player still works. I remember thinking how awesome it was that I could put in tons of mp3s in a single cd and it would play it. 700mbzomgwtfawesome

I have a zune now though. I miss the scroll wheel from my old ipod, but meh. 30 gigs for $100 dollars was nice. Can't complain.

I can't stand any music player other than classic winamp. It's the only player that lets me fast forward/rewind easily using the arrow keys. As far as I can tell, I can't do that with any other players from looking through their options. Also, I'm the type of person who likes finding music in windows explorer through folders. I can't stand it how other bulky players try to scan through my stuff and load up every piece of music within the player. It's easier to just Ctrl+click and drag on drop music into winamp when I want to create custom play lists.
I agree with nearly all of this, but I don't miss the scroll wheel at all. :)

Not true. I listen to WAVs and other formats on my iPod. However, the types of audio files are indeed extremely limited.[quote]
Well, yeah. I should have specified. Most file types are unplayable. Of the file types I have, the only one that plays on iPod is .mp3.

[quote]But I'm curious as to how you might say that the Creative players have better sound quality. Aren't they all glorified hard drives? The sound quality is contingent on the file quality.

Not exactly true. I've burned mp3 cds and played them on a $20 portable mp3-cd player from Wal-Mart and put the exact same files onto an ipod and the ipod sounded worse. The same thing goes for playing mp3 cds on my car vs. having an ipod plugged into the aux port in the same car. Whatever part of the ipod it is that creates the sound (not the ear buds, it's the same even with different headphones) is not as good as other things out there. Though I can't say I'm really experienced with standard mp3 players to say if others are any better, I've only ever had mp3 cd players.
Nieh covered this pretty well. There is a lot more to it than just the file type. I've played the same CD in two different stereos, or two different cars, and the sound was much different. I've also done what Nieh did, and played a CD in a car and then the same file with the same kbps with an ipod in a car, and the iPod sounded much worse. I've listened to the same files on an iPod, a Zune, and a Creative Zen Vision: M, and the Zen sounded the best by far. The Zune and iPod were almost the same, couldn't tell much difference. And I used the same headphones on all.

ive used a creative zen a lot, and like it. but when you press too many buttons it will freeze and you need to hit the reset button. slightly annoying. ipods however look like shit to me. small bits of poofy shit. you never hear of many minor ipod issues like with creative.. ipods fuck up and die, or they do alright. i dont own either.
The freezing up of the Vision: M was a definite flaw, but they've corrected that in newer players. That was probably my only gripe with that player. And yeah, I think iPods are terribly ugly.

the word "ipod" and "mp3 player" are synonymous with each other amongst people that dont really know anything. and that bugs me, for some reason.
God, I hate that, haha. When I got my Zune, I told people at work that I got a new mp3 player, and at least one person asked, "What's the difference between an mp3 player and an iPod?" uggggh.

Even if your file is not an MP3., iTunes converts it for you. Or at least, that's what it did for me every time.
Yeah, and when you have 90GB of music on your computer, that takes a fuckload of time to convert. Much rather let my files stay as they are.

And about the screen scrachting; you can't notice the scratches when the light is on.
I disagree.

-------

As for the iTunes thing. There are many reasons I don't like it. So here's another list.
-has to convert most file types, rather than just playing them.
-the search system sucks in comparison to winamp.
-iTunes runs slower than most programs like it (though this would of course be different on an Apple computer.)
-iTunes takes up much more memory than winamp (more than twice as much).
-I hate quicktime and hate that you have to always have it installed and updated to use iTunes.
-iTunes installs a bunch of stuff you don't ask for and random folders in places like, My Documents/My Music/iTunes, Windows/Downloaded Installations, Application Data, Program Files/Common Files/Apple
-the plugin options are very limited. and the ones that exist pretty much suck.
-no hotkeys definable on iTunes.

I've tried so hard to like iTunes. But I just hate it every time and get frustrated.

wheelchairman
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I haven't tried winamp, but the search system is incredibly easy on itunes. you start typing and the list narrows down while you type.

It doesn't get better than that....

And quicktime can be uninstalled, because yeah quicktime sucks.

Llamas
02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I haven't tried winamp, but the search system is incredibly easy on itunes. you start typing and the list narrows down while you type.

It doesn't get better than that....

And quicktime can be uninstalled, because yeah quicktime sucks.

I wasn't speaking of ease... I was speaking of quality. I did the same search on both iTunes and winamp once, and iTunes came up with around 40 or so results, while winamp found over 60. And they were all good, relevant finds. iTunes doesn't find what I'm looking for much of the time.

And every time I've tried to remove quicktime, iTunes wouldn't work after that and it would tell me I had to install quicktime.

wheelchairman
02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I wasn't speaking of ease... I was speaking of quality. I did the same search on both iTunes and winamp once, and iTunes came up with around 40 or so results, while winamp found over 60. And they were all good, relevant finds. iTunes doesn't find what I'm looking for much of the time.

And every time I've tried to remove quicktime, iTunes wouldn't work after that and it would tell me I had to install quicktime.

I've uninstalled quicktime with no problem.

I simply don't see how you could find more searches in winamp and not in itunes. Perhaps the itunes search function wasn't refined or you were using it differently than the normal, obvious search field. Cause that sounds weird/doesn't make sense.

Unless you had more music in your music library on winamp than on itunes.

Llamas
02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, I can't really prove anything because I've since uninstalled iTunes... and I don't remember what my search criteria was, but it was a couple words of a song name. And I used the basic search function on iTunes, I believe.

OH I also forgot that I hate how, if I plug in my external hard drive where all my music is, and it is recognized as the E: drive,... then I unplug it, and later on plug it back in and it's the F: drive, iTunes gets confused and puts all the music in the library again, so I have two instances of every single song, one of each which doesn't work. Fuck that.

MrJoe
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
When I used to have a PC, at first much preferred Winamp to iTunes - used less resources, added music quickly and didn't need to convert files, and it rarely ever messed up or caused an error.
The problem arose when I had a lot more music, I just found Winamp a bit annoying to find the music I wanted once I'd reached over 2,000 songs.

Sure, iTunes is more resource-hungry, and it does take a while to add all your music, especially if you have a lot.
But you only have to add everything once, then you can just add a couple of new albums or whatever when you get them.

And I agree with others, the search function on iTunes is really good.

Llamas
02-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Sure, iTunes is more resource-hungry, and it does take a while to add all your music, especially if you have a lot.
But you only have to add everything once, then you can just add a couple of new albums or whatever when you get them.

Winamp has a music library that functions the same as iTunes. The difference is that it's optional in Winamp, while on iTunes it's mandatory. If you use it on winamp, you only have to add your music once and it does the same stuff as iTunes.

nameless
02-09-2008, 05:38 PM
the only problem ive heard about sony products was the first playstation, after a while, some people had to turn the console upside down in order to play it!

the_offsprings_monkey
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
the only problem ive heard about sony products was the first playstation, after a while, some people had to turn the console upside down in order to play it!

Never heard that! Had mine about 12 years, tho I stopped using it when I got the PS2, but it worked last time I tried it, which was only a few weeks back!

WebDudette
02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
How is iTunes clunky? And I use Windows, it works perfectly fine. What do other programs do that iTunes doesn't? What more could you possibly need?

Its not that I need more, its that I don't need anything close to that. I just want to queue a cd into WinAmp and listen to it.

Endymion
02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
OH I also forgot that I hate how, if I plug in my external hard drive where all my music is, and it is recognized as the E: drive,... then I unplug it, and later on plug it back in and it's the F: drive, iTunes gets confused and puts all the music in the library again, so I have two instances of every single song, one of each which doesn't work. Fuck that.

just another reason windows is fucking stupid for not allowing device uris to be separate from their mount points.

Vera
02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
iPod headphones are shit. I listened to my iPod with my dad's super badass amazing expensive (my dad's 2nd fave hobby is hifi so he knows this shit) headphones and hoooly shit. Even the not-so-good mp3's sounded incredible. Audiogasm.

But at some point I got lazy and didn't bother with buying new non iPod headphones and just went with what I had.

sKratch
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Winamp has a very simple search system. You hit "j" and a box pops up. Start typing and the list gets narrowed down.
And as has been mentioned, if you're not so much a "listen to all the music you have at once" person, Winamp has a Media Library that is basically exactly the same thing as iTunes.

Plus winamp has plugins / skins galore.

Endymion
02-10-2008, 07:17 PM
i generally agree that winamp is better than itunes. but you can manage your ipod using winamp, so why discuss itunes when debating ipods?

wheelchairman
02-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I assume because it takes knowledge that the average computer user does not have, Endy. Just because its possible does not mean its practical. Especially with the computer illiterate, who apple targets their products for (and of which I am).

sKratch, well I am going to be really horrible and nitpick. On itunes you dont need to type J. You just type into a bar on the top right corner. Yes itunes is much simpler because you don't have to go through the trouble of pressing J!!!

Llamas
02-10-2008, 08:58 PM
sKratch, well I am going to be really horrible and nitpick. On itunes you dont need to type J. You just type into a bar on the top right corner. Yes itunes is much simpler because you don't have to go through the trouble of pressing J!!!

The trouble of clicking in that bar is just as much as typing J ;)

WebDudette
02-10-2008, 09:00 PM
In fact, you have a higher chance of fail when clicking the box, I believe.

On a side note, does anyone just queue up an album or two and listen to them through? Or am I the only one?

JohnnyNemesis
02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
*headdesk death*

sKratch
02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I tend to queue albums, especially when i download new stuff. But most of the time I just keep everything on random.

Llamas
02-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I tend to queue albums, which I find much easier to do with winamp than with itunes. Putting the entire library on random is about equally easy in both, I think.

And yeah, Pilz, it is harder to get your mouse cursor positioned over the box and click on it than it is to hit the J key. :D

Rag Doll
02-10-2008, 09:37 PM
On a side note, does anyone just queue up an album or two and listen to them through? Or am I the only one?

i do it all the time.

it seems we have the itunes/ipod discussion like once a month. it's pretty annoying.

JohnnyNemesis
02-10-2008, 10:15 PM
it seems we have the itunes/ipod discussion like once a month. it's extremely annoying.

Fix'd.

It's like, the post-Justin version of the Abortion threads, except the Abortion threads were pure genius.