PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day

Sunny
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
ok, someone had to do it. :o got any plans? or are you boycotting because rararr it's a dirty capitalist hallmark holiday? :]

Jakebert
02-12-2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.dandarcy.com/images/choo_choo.jpg

Sunny
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
that's terrifying. <3

Jack-UK
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
valentines day is crap, its all about the partayyyyy!

the_offsprings_monkey
02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I wanted to do something big for my Missus this Valentines day, but it would seem money is once again shit. So probs just gonna get her a bunch of flowers an cook her a little meal or something. She however does think that Valentines is a hallmark whateversunnysaid!

wheelchairman
02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm buying dinner at a nice restaurant in the neighborhood.

Rag Doll
02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
whiiiiile i do think one should treat their significant other as though EVERY day is valentine's day....i still cant pass up the chance to be over the top ridiculously lovey dovey.

man and i are celebrating on monday, cause 1) we have the house to ourselves and 2) he's injured at the moment. by "celebrate" i mean i'm buying him a few small things, making him a mix cd, we're drinking a few bottles of champagne, and we're having a lot of sex. mhm. not really too much different than usual =p

Sunny
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
ow@ injured mens. what happened to him?

JohnnyNemesis
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Haven't decided yet because I'm not sure what my status is with teh ladiezzz yet.

But:

or are you boycotting because rararr it's a dirty capitalist hallmark holiday? :]

About half the holidays we celebrate in the US are either fake in some way or super duper dirty capitalist. It's funny that he trupunx crowd picks on Valentine's Day just because it's easily identifiable as such.

Sunny
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
aw, precisely!

Rag Doll
02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
ow@ injured mens. what happened to him?

he got thrown in a judo tournament. landed wrong/someone landed on him. he tore something in his shoulder and now he's in a sling and all in pains. but i decorated the sling with smashing pumpkins pins, so it's less miserable looking at least =\

Sunny
02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
oww that sucks... but hey, i guess that's what comes with having a hot martial arts mens =p

Rag Doll
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
it's worth it, for me ;p

probably for him too, because he already wants to go back to judo.

Vera
02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
In here it's called Ystävänpäivä (Day of [a/the] Friend, Friend's Day) or in Swedish Alla hjärtans dag (The day of all hearts) or Vändag (Friend's Day) so it's not a romantic holiday, really.

I will probably text some people before work. Sorting the Valentines' cards everybody else gets. :[

Was too lazy to send any myself. Maybe next year.

wheelchairman
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Was too lazy to send TO myself. Maybe next year.
LOOOLOLOLOL look i'm clever!

God I'm stealing jokes from Garfield.

Zebulon
02-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Valentine's Day is nothing more than a "holiday" where stupid, young adults and teenagers make excuses to share love with each other. I, for one, have never been with a woman on Valentine's Day, and I laugh at all of the fools who actually believe it to be a good idea. It's just something made up by the media and government to rake in more money for their candies and gift cards.

And you have all of these people who use the holiday for an excuse to lose their virginities. HA! I've never had sex with a woman before, why should I lose my virginity on Valentine's Day? It's ridiculous, and once again, something created by the media to make you buy extra condoms and birth control pills. And what's worse, people make fun of me for it. "Hey Kevin, going single on Valentine's Day again? HAHAHAHA while you'll be at home tasting you're TV dinners, I'll be tasting some girls' pussy!"

Well, hahahhahahaha at YOU, dumbass. You're making fun of me because I actually have the intelligence to not fall into the trap of this idiotic holiday? Besides, I doubt pussy taste good anyway.

Anya82
02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
i've already expressed my feelings towards this date.

And no... i have no plans and i won't make any. In fact, Valentine's day is like a "rainy day" for me: I just want to lock up in my home, watch movies while drinking hot chocolate in my warm, comfy bed and forget about the world.

I fucking hate Valentine's.

Vera
02-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Besides, I doubt pussy taste good anyway.

Those are some fightin' words, Kevin. Don't knock it until you try it.

JohnnyNemesis
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Besides, I doubt pussy taste good anyway.

You'd be wrong about that.

By the way, I refuted your entire bullshit argument in about a sentence or two earlier in the thread. Yeah, before you even posted it. I'm just that good. Check it out.

wheelchairman
02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
oh F*** Latino VOODOO Majick!

Anya82
02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Good thing my babe thinks the same way I do.
We're ridiculously lovey dovey, but NOT on valentine's
My birthday this year... now THAT was a lovey dovey day with him!

HornyPope
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
or are you boycotting because rararr it's a dirty capitalist hallmark holiday? :]

I do, I do!

Zebulon
02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
No, you said that all holidays are money-machines (which they are) and only the pnuks target Valentine's Day. I was talking specifically about VALENTINE'S DAY, not those other holidays. Yes, it's just like St. Patricks Day, 4th of July (we actually won our independense on a different day, that day was just the day we REQUESTED it, proof that it is not legit), and Christmas (Christ was actually born sometime in November.). Look at it this way, Febuary is a month not surrounded by holidays, or even months with holidays. So, the media and goovernment know they can make money because people won't be suspicious about the abundance (or lack of) of holdiays. Do you think it is a coincidende they make so much candy and roses for the holiday?

HornyPope
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM
So, the media and goovernment know they can make money because people won't be suspicious about the abundance (or lack of) of holdiays. Do you think it is a coincidende they make so much candy and roses for the holiday?

So the gov and the media make money off the sales of roses and candy now? Hmm... the plot thickens.

wheelchairman
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Some of you seem to be under the impression that the commercialization came first, and not the societal celebration.

All societies have had holidays. This pre-dates capitalism. Yes the commercialization is certainly a part of the way the economy works in our society and culture. However I stress the term "part."

JohnnyNemesis
02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
No, you said that all holidays are money-machines (which they are) and only the pnuks target Valentine's Day.

Not only the punks. They were just an example.

I was talking specifically about VALENTINE'S DAY, not those other holidays.

Fair enough. My mistake. I just don't see why Valentine's Day should be the specific target of venom when this:

So, the media and goovernment know they can make money because people won't be suspicious about the abundance (or lack of) of holdiays. Do you think it is a coincidende they make so much candy and roses for the holiday?

Happens with every fucking major holiday in existence. Manufactured American flags and memorabilia of all shapes and sizes are sold big time around the 4th of July along with other marketing tie-ins. Halloween and Christmas are the biggest candy sellers of the year, even moreso than Valentine's Day. The economy goes fucking bonkers with Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I just don't see what makes Valentine's Day any worse. Is it the fact that the romance tie-in happens to be more disagreeable to you than other forms of hypocrisy? Is it that the hypocrisy is less veiled? I dunno. For me, it's all the same.

I used to be fiercely anti-Valentine's Day too though. But it just strikes me as dumb. Last year I didn't celebrate it 'cause I was single; I just sent nice little notes to all the important women in my life (my sister, mother, cousins, and one girl I had a crush on) telling them that I hope their day goes well. This year I'm single again but sorta might be involved with someone, so we'll have dinner together, no big deal. Not of this stuff is really that serious.

By the way, the media and government aren't the same thing.

EDIT:

All societies have had holidays. This pre-dates capitalism.

This is very true. My earlier point had more to do with disagreeing with the roots of a holiday (like considering Columbus Day a day of mourning, for example) in addition to whatever dirtiness is in the capitalism. If one thinks there is. Etc.

Zebulon
02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
The societal part is called "love", the commercialization is Valentine's Day.

JohnnyNemesis
02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, but if you're in love and/or like someone, isn't it just as dishonest (or at least also dishonest) to purposely avoid it on some arbitrary day?

wheelchairman
02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
The societal part is called "love", the commercialization is Valentine's Day.

Wrong. The societal part is taking a day to celebrate something. This happens periodically throughout the year. The fact that it focuses on romance developed along the way with all the rituals. Essentially you're being whiney cause other people made fun of you (you've made it clear this was your motivation all the way through.) Quit acting like you have any altruistic motives, such as being against capitalism. That's just as lame as the lip service people pay to any other holiday. (Lol like it matters we declared our independence on the 4th or not. That's not the point.)

Grow a back bone.

Vera
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.pictureframes.co.uk/pages/saint_valentine.htm

Saint Valentine's is the celebration. Commercial card giving is the commercialization.

HornyPope
02-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I just don't see what makes Valentine's Day any worse. Is it the fact that the romance tie-in happens to be more disagreeable to you than other forms of hypocrisy? Is it that the hypocrisy is less veiled? I dunno. For me, it's all the same.

I'm pretty sure Jesus himself passed on the tradition of celebrating x-mas, thanksgiving and especially easter (I hear he was personally involved), so there's like a looong history there. But who invented valentines? The media and the government, that's who.

HornyPope
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Wrong. The societal part is taking a day to celebrate something. This happens periodically throughout the year. The fact that it focuses on romance developed along the way with all the rituals. Essentially you're being whiney cause other people made fun of you (you've made it clear this was your motivation all the way through.) Quit acting like you have any altruistic motives, such as being against capitalism. That's just as lame as the lip service people pay to any other holiday. (Lol like it matters we declared our independence on the 4th or not. That's not the point.)

Grow a back bone.

Harsh...
I think many of reasoned along the same lines about 4-5 years ago. There's no harm in that.

ninthlayer
02-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Bum wines and a flask of Everclear. I'm classy, suck my dick.

killer_queen
02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't really mind holidays, they have never bothered me and I've always loved the big discounts shops have for the special days. I don't like valentine's day, though simply because I don't have a valentine. But even if I had one I probably wouldn't like to celebrate it. Overpriced red roses and heart shaped things don't excite me enough. And that's the way EVERYONE in Turkey celebrates it.

Llamas
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Valentine's Day is nothing more than a "holiday" where stupid, young adults and teenagers make excuses to share love with each other. I, for one, have never been with a woman on Valentine's Day, and I laugh at all of the fools who actually believe it to be a good idea. It's just something made up by the media and government to rake in more money for their candies and gift cards.

And you have all of these people who use the holiday for an excuse to lose their virginities. HA! I've never had sex with a woman before, why should I lose my virginity on Valentine's Day? It's ridiculous, and once again, something created by the media to make you buy extra condoms and birth control pills. And what's worse, people make fun of me for it. "Hey Kevin, going single on Valentine's Day again? HAHAHAHA while you'll be at home tasting you're TV dinners, I'll be tasting some girls' pussy!"

Well, hahahhahahaha at YOU, dumbass. You're making fun of me because I actually have the intelligence to not fall into the trap of this idiotic holiday? Besides, I doubt pussy taste good anyway.
lol this was an amusing post.

So the gov and the media make money off the sales of roses and candy now? Hmm... the plot thickens.
sales tax!!! duh!

wheelchairman
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Harsh...
I think many of reasoned along the same lines about 4-5 years ago. There's no harm in that.

Perhaps. But would we have stuck by it so stubbornly? I haven't checked how old he is though.

0r4ng3
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
For Valentine's Day, I'll use a mate of mines motto.

Edit:
http://vgcats.com/news/valen/snake.jpghttp://vgcats.com/news/valen/pokemon.jpghttp://vgcats.com/news/valen/falcon.jpg

iPunk247
02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
^ awww...too cute for words. I always end up having a Virgins Day not a Valentines Day!:rolleyes: ;) *blows sweet kisses and gives a bear hug* hehe

Bazza
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Me and my very long term girlfriend broke up a week ago, so Valentines day will be kinda strange for me. I really don't want to think about it too much since it'll probably make me feel quite sad.

WebDudette
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Over the last couple weeks I've kinda been in a relationship. I'm trying to be interested, but I'm just not. So between now and Valentines Day I'm probably going to end it. Yeah, I'm going to end a relationship for Valentines Day, I'm a dick.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Eh, Cody, it kind of makes sense. But you should end it as quickly as possible before she gets you anything. It would suck to exchange gifts (if you even agreed to it) and then break up.

Unless you want to wait until the exact day. She gives you your gift and right after you end the relationship. Then you'd be a dick. A dick with a gift.

WebDudette
02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Now all I can think of is Dick in a Box.

Rag Doll
02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
and what better day to give your girlfriend your dick in a box?

calichix
02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I fuggin love VD. teehee!

I got my lifepahtnaz valentines shaped like footballs that say, "no penalty for holding". AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW sheeyoot. so cute.

I've got a cutesy love note in the works for a special feller but omg fledgling love affair I'm totes nervousssss.

what're you and le husband doing, lil mama?

Jakebert
02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I fuggin love VD.

This makes me giggle for numerous reasons.

sKratch
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm getting moderately pwnt by scheduling conflicts as far as going out to dinner is concerned, but I'm gonna make a card out of construction paper like you do when you're in third grade. I expect it to go over pretty well.

IamSam
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I plan on contracting VD on VD. I feel it fitting.

Sunny
02-12-2008, 06:58 PM
what're you and le husband doing, lil mama?

i am not entirely sure as to what mens and i are doing. i asked if we're going out for dindin and where, to which he said "that's for me to know and for you to find out". so. assface. aside from that, i'm gonna get him a little gifty and a few little pink champagne bottles so we can have classy champagne fueled seksy tymez. eehehe wee.

Icy Chic
02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Yay, V-Day. Spending it with my b/f. Yay.

Autonomist
02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
http://www.dandarcy.com/images/choo_choo.jpg

Yet another example of Jakebert saying exactly what I was thinking.

Lizardus
02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
I will do what i did a couple of years ago.

Celebrate the wrong holiday and draw a monster.